PDA

View Full Version : ? for hottrodder

old rigger
03-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Hottrodder,
Came across a boat today, and seeings how you're the Mandella guy, I thought I run a few things by you.
This thing looks, to me, like a Mandella, but I could be mistaken. Has the flaired sides, but has a flat transom. We've talked before about the curved transom on some of the other Mandella's and was wondering if they ALL had curved transoms or just some? This one also has the crossover piece on the deck between the seats. And at the dash, where the deck would meet it, it over hangs on this one(like a wood decker) and the dash is wood. Only the dash and not the deck.
This sound like a Mandella to you?
Slight V on the botom that disapears by the time it gets to the transom. Dual fins, but I think the forward one was added later, it's off center by about 1/2 inch.
I couldn't see the whole v-drive but to my untrained eye, it looked to be either a top loader Casale or a Hall-Craft. Non adjustable plates. Running a FE motor, but its seized. It has a rusted out pair of Bassetts on it now but at one time, ran through the transom exhaust.
I'm guessing early to mid 60's on the year of the hull as there is no paper work on it or the trailer. Someone years ago took out the side tanks, put cup holders were the gas fills should be and put in a big bow tank. I bet that baby doesn't porpoise now.
This thing is a project and a half, the trailer is pretty rough too and I'm not sure if it's the project for me, but I think the price is gonna be dirt, dirt cheap. Couldn't get the guy to give me a price, he wanted me to make him an offer, but he want's it gone now. If I can get a price out of him, I'll post it here if anyone is interested.
I was gonna' take some digi pics of it, but my friggin program or what ever the **** it is in my computer is not downloading the pics from the camera.
****ing hi-tech piece of shit........
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 15, 2002).]

pgf127rt
03-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Oldrigger as one antique to another I feel your pain about all of those hitek POS, that were designed to drive us old farts crazy.

old rigger
03-20-2002, 08:23 AM
hottrodder........you out there?

hottrodder
03-20-2002, 09:34 AM
OldRigger: Sorry, Sleeping at the wheel. I'm thinking not. All the 60's (late or early) Mandellas that I've ever seen have no overhang. And they're 100% glass. Now the true Mandella (Joe not Lou) was 100% wood and no glass. Lou plugged a late 50's wood Mandella and made molds for the glass 'Brummett' Mandells.
Wait, wait, wait. I was looking over what I've already said when an image came to mind of a dilapidated Mandella I saw in Parker a few years back in a car port at a trailer park. If it had been sitting a year it had been there a hundred. Metallic orange with an inset wood dash. FoMoCo side oiler. We sorta just peaked under the deteriorating cover. Word was it had been there for many years and few people had tried to find and contact the owner but he wouldn't sell. Thought he had a gold mine on his hands I 'spose.
Before Joe passed and Lou was just an employee he would glass over some of the wood boats. Bottoms and ocasionally the deck for strength. Maybe that's what this is. But it would have to be late 50's. I think Lou started the glass boats in '61. A picture would sure help. Look for the dip between the dash and center deck.
http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/andysmandella/bach01edit.jpg

Backfire
03-20-2002, 05:29 PM
I believe the boat you are describing is a Gaylord.Differences from a Mandella are the dash scheme you described, a flat transom, a raised caprail (Mandellas have the deck on top of the caprail),and 3/4" plywood glassed to the sides and bottom running up into the spreader deck. A Gaylord is much smaller and shallower than a Mandella and the edge where the hull and deck join is very slight and rolls over only about an inch, almost sharp by comparison and if you put CF numbers just below, they'd be nearly invisible because they'd be horizontal! If it's on it's original channel trailer,the trailer will have a wide "v" opening in the back and sharp "v's" cut out of the cross beams for the shaft and fins and only the two (outside) longitudinal rails. AzDon had one for nearly ten years and has it pictured under "AzDon's boats" on his website: v-driveboat.com

hottrodder
03-21-2002, 07:39 AM
Here's that pic of AZ Don's Gaylord. Although I'm posting it reluctantly 'cause when I went to his sight for the pic I learned that his first flatbottom, a '58 wood Mandella, was taken to the dump.
http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/misc/gaylord.jpg

old rigger
03-21-2002, 11:16 AM
thanks guys,
I went back yesterday and really checked this boat out. It's at a dealer in Orange County way back in their yard. It was a donation and they want to sell it for any thing just to get rid of it. I was really intrested in the hull as well as the possibility of the FE being a 427. It's a 352. The boat is pictured on the boat trader web site under Hondo. It's blue on a white trailer. From their pic, you can't see the sides of the hull very at all, and that's what made me think it might be a Mandella. They don't have any idea what it is and only listed it as a Hondo to move it. Salesman said he would take way under a grand to get rid of it. I was gonna offer him 2 hundred, and I think they would take it.
I'm gonna pass on it, and if I knew how to post the link to the pictures, there are 2 of them, I would so you could take a look at it.
Oh yeah, can you believe AZDON took that hull to the dump? When I was a kid, at Parker out at the old dump past Cieniga Springs, we saw a guy pull a split window VW out there that he couldn't get to run and pushed it into the pit. What a waste! Course we promptly shot it full of holes with our .22's. What the hell did we know? It was only a few years later did we realize what the car was worth.

hottrodder
03-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Nope. Not a Mandella. Anyone else want to identify this?
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749656/1899001_1.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749656/1899001_3.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/749656/1899001_2.jpg

Stab-n-Steer
03-21-2002, 02:16 PM
HR,
I really don't have a clue but that never stopped be from opening my mouth in the past... I'll venture a guess. Stevens? Wickens? Hell, I have no idea...
S&S
[This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited March 21, 2002).]

future boater
03-21-2002, 02:37 PM
rayson craft,early to late 60's? just a guess from a youngster

old rigger
03-21-2002, 03:52 PM
hotrodder, thanks for posting the pics.
What had me thinking Mandella is what I saw in the second pic, the way the sides flaired out.
the boat, by the way is not nearly as nice as it looks in the photos......
Any of you guys ever heard of a Dalimer flattie? Early '60s.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 21, 2002).]

03-21-2002, 05:42 PM
OldRigger, Are you sure its a 352? Don't go by the cast in "352" in the front of the block.[left bank] All FEs had that "352" except truck blocks, they had "105" in a mirror image cast in the same place. Can you check the block again for the cross bolts? The block will have 3- 3/8" capscrews just above the pan rail on both sides, this would be a 427. If you can give me the head casting number [between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug] I can tell you what they were from. The hull looks to be an old Stevens or a Howard. I just might be interested in the old girl...Do ya think the trailer would make it back to the bay?

old rigger
03-21-2002, 09:08 PM
I don't know if I'd trust the trailer all the way to your place. You'd be more than welcome to stop at my house and we could do bearings and such.
I'll go back check the head #'s for you. The first thing I looked for when I went back were the cross bolts. Not there. My friend up north told me all 427 and a few 406's had these, that's what I was hoping for. You're right though, I was going by the cast in 352 on the left front of the block and just figured that's what it was. There was also an 8 cast above the 352. Maybe it's a 390. I'll bet you when the thing was new it was a 427, and this is a replacement motor.
Like I said, this is a project. Every single thing on or about the boat needs attention. But on the other hand, it's certainly worth saving.
If it's something you really want, and if I can get it for the price I mentioned, I'll grab it for you (if you're comfortable with that) and you can come to my place to pick it up. I could sit on it for a week or so.

Stab-n-Steer
03-22-2002, 07:10 AM
Old Rig,
In looking at the lines of the boat it really does look like the Gaylord. Especially the flat transom and the way the sides flair out just like Backfire described... I think he's right. Did the guy ever mention a price?
058, I'm up for a road trip if you want to go down and pick it up. Maybe Old Rigger will buy us a beer...
S&S

superdave013
03-22-2002, 08:10 AM
I will buy you both a beer if you come down!

old rigger
03-22-2002, 08:20 AM
stabber,
I have to agree with you and Backfire, really does look like that Gaylord. Even though you can't see the detail of the Gaylords gunnals because of the bright white picture, it's gotta be close.
The thing is for sale in the trader for 2 grand, but like I said, the guy is not selling it to make $, he's doing it to donate the $ to a charity, so he just wants it gone. I really think he'd take a couple of hundred bucks for it just to get down the road.
Beer's on me? Anytime.............
By the way, in the picture the deck looks longer than it really is. It's kinds short when you see it in person.

hottrodder
03-22-2002, 10:36 AM
S&S, 058, OR: My backyard is full of enough projects so I'm not interested in another. But If you guys get together to look her over and toss back a few I'd like to be part. I don't usually invite myself to things but I'd like to meet you guys. Yeah you too SD013.

03-22-2002, 10:46 AM
As usual I was overcome with emotion at the thought of saving another flat from...? When I started thinking rational again [a rare occurance] I realized I don't have enough time to take care of the boats I own now. As much as I would like to save all the flats from destruction I know I can't save the world. Old Rigger, Thank you for your very generous offer and I extend the same to you if the need ever arises. Stab-n- Steer, Thanks for the offer of a road trip, maybe some time we could do it just to go down to meet some of these fine gentlemen of this board. Last but not least SuperDave, the first round is on me. I'd like to meet you and LeEss13. As for the boat? I wouldn't know a Gaylord if it jumped up and bit me in the ass.

Stab-n-Steer
03-22-2002, 11:05 AM
HR,
Are you kidding? If your a boater you're invited!
Old Rig,
Give me the guys number, I may just make an offer. My brother is looking for a v-drive project.
I still can't figure out how you have THREE V-drives already! Your wife must be a saint!
S&S

03-22-2002, 11:46 AM
S&S, My wife a saint? No, she's still alive.

old rigger
03-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 058:
S&S, My wife a saint? No, she's still alive.
she ever read these boards????
I need a flat bottom like I need my ass pounded full of sand, but if this was a wood-decker, I'm afraid it would be sitting in my driveway by now. I've made too many trips to BK boat repair the past few weeks to look at all the wood deckers they are restoring right now. Un-****ing believable how nice these are turning out.
Stabber, the guys # is 714-635-2628. Talk to Carlos. I just called there 2 min. ago just to make sure it's still there. It is. The offer I made to 058 is of course extended to you as well. Let me know what you decide to do........
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 22, 2002).]

03-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Could there be a road trip in the near future? OR, I'm safe, she doesn't read this stuff...thank god.

Stab-n-Steer
03-22-2002, 07:12 PM
"I need a flat bottom like I need my ass pounded full of sand"
Old Rig,
I love when you talk dirty... Thanks for the number, I'll give 'ol Carlos a call. My brother's birthday is coming up. I might just deliver it to his driveway as his birthday present. His wife will shit! Oh well, I don't like her much anyway...
SuperDave,
You're on. I never turn down a free beer...
S&S
[This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited March 22, 2002).]

03-23-2002, 08:21 AM
Stab, I think that would make an excellent birthday present. About the only thing that would piss off his wife even more is if you got him a hooker for his b'day.

old rigger
03-23-2002, 08:33 AM
"His wife will shit! Oh well, I don't like her much anyway..."
stabber....I got a sister-in-law like that too. Maybe they know each other.

superdave013
03-23-2002, 09:07 AM
old rigger, I know where a wood deck flat is. One block from my house. Don't know if it's for sale but it has not moved for the 3 years that I have lived here. It's a pretty cool looking boat. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll tell you where to check it out at.

old rigger
03-23-2002, 12:37 PM
SD,
Well, I can see you're trying to get me in the dog house. That's ok. My wife is pretty understanding. I'd love to look at it, if for no other reason than to just see it. thank you...you never know, the timing might just be right.
shot you an e-mail

Dans66Stevens
03-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Old Rigger Beware every time I just go to look at a boat...... Waalaa it follows me home like a lost puppy. I tell the wife its a great deal!!!!lmao

Dans66Stevens
03-23-2002, 01:30 PM
I can't believe the guy will sell that boat for $200 What a Deal! Even if it is a FORD..
Could the motor be a 428? They look just like a 390 I think. It look pretty good in the pictures.

03-23-2002, 05:18 PM
....and what is wrong with a FORD???

old rigger
03-23-2002, 06:59 PM
dan66,
it was my feeling, after talking to him a few times and after he told me the price would be way under a grand, that I would be able to pick it up for 2 hundred bucks. I hope Stabber can get it that cheap.
It's a weird situation. Sombody dropped the boat off at his shop, for free, with the stipulation that it be sold and the $ donated to charity. I think it's a pain for the guy to deal with to tell you the truth. He just wants it gone.
The boat looks much better in the pics than in person. Plus the motor is froze.

Backfire
03-23-2002, 07:42 PM
After seeing the pics, I'm virtually certain that it is a Gaylord, which would make it from the '64-'66 era. As to AzDon's Mandella, it was unglassed on the inside and the wood was completely rotten when he got it, and after 2 years of attempting to give it away, he scrapped it. I know quite a bit about all of AzDon's boats since He and I are the same person (surprise!) I looked at another Gaylord 2 weeks ago here in Havasu that the guy was willing to give away to whoever would buy the trailer for $200! It's sad that a lot of this stuff is out there for the price of dirt, and many of us are unable to allocate enough space to rescue and drag them home!

Stab-n-Steer
03-24-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 058:
Stab, I think that would make an excellent birthday present. About the only thing that would piss off his wife even more is if you got him a hooker for his b'day.
Did that for his bachelor party. I think that's why she doesn't like me!
S&S

old rigger
03-24-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Backfire:
I looked at another Gaylord 2 weeks ago here in Havasu that the guy was willing to give away to whoever would buy the trailer for $200! It's sad that a lot of this stuff is out there for the price of dirt, and many of us are unable to allocate enough space to rescue and drag them home![/B]
When we bought the house we live in now, my wife was very excited about it for many reasons, but I suspect one of the big reasons was that even though the garage is in the back and we have a long driveway, the house has been added onto and access to the backyard by anything bigger than a lawnmower has been blocked. I think she used to dread comming home at our old place, fearing what may lurk in the backyard next to the swing-set or patio.
Superdave, going to check out that wood decker late this morning, or later on today......thanks.

03-24-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer:
Did that for his bachelor party. I think that's why she doesn't like me!
S&SYou sound like a great brother to have. Its too bad she has no sense of humor.

old rigger
03-25-2002, 06:21 AM
superdave,
checked out that wood decker by you house, and talked to who ever lives there, I guess he's the guys dad. Still not for sale. Too bad it's been sitting out unprotected for these past few years, the woods not restoreable now. Gunnle wood has all seperated and cupped, ribbon grained deck has delamanated beyond repair. What a waste.
Cute little halibrand v-drive in it tho.
thanks for the tip.......