PDA

View Full Version : Engine Choice for 27 Daytona (read before voting)

Cat & Mice
02-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Here are the details of the 2 choices; both are about the same price.
For you guys that don’t know my last boat it was a twin Whippled SBC powered 28 Daytona that kicked butt. Everyone said it would not go over 110mph and it ended up going 149mph. I liked how it was different but it was really hard to sell.
Option #1
427ci Whippled SBC
750-800hp 700lbs tq on pump gas - 900-1000hp on 100octane
Pro’s
7500 Redline
Drysump
Custom sheet metal intake (Super cool)
250lbs lighter
More Fuel efficient at cruse then BBC
Cheaper Insurance
Easy on Drive
Quieter at idle
Custom and Unique
Con’s
People don’t get it
Custom
Harder to sell
Higher RPM cruise (edit)
Higher price per HP (edit)
Option #2
540ci Whippled BBC
850-900hp 850lbs tq on pump gas - 950-1050hp on 100octane
Pro’s
Standard and Off the shelf parts
Big easy power
People are comfortable with this setup
Easier to sell
Big obnoxious sound (kind of a pro & a con)
Cheaper per HP
Con’s
Boring (everyone has seen this setup)
Big and heavy
Harder to insure
Harder on Drive

Paulie
02-17-2007, 03:31 PM
small block all the way just to piss some people off that thing bigger is better:D

Cat & Mice
02-17-2007, 03:38 PM
That was one of the fun things about my last boat. People couldn't pass me and when they found out I just had small blocks they where pissed:D
MP

Paulie
02-17-2007, 03:40 PM
i did vote:D Maybe call up turbine marine:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
with the small block you would be pretty limited on the size of the prop you could run.( need more revs to make same power)
I also don't think your INS company will know the diff between 800 hp sbc and 800 hp bbc... All they will see is 800 hp.
I would also ask yourself which will last longer, after all who cares how much power you make if your always getting towed in by a bayliner or its always at the shop getting something fixed.
If you really want to do something diffrent... why not build like a ford/mopar/other GM( like pontiac or buick)/ other motor. That would be diffrent.

Cat & Mice
02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
with the small block you would be pretty limited on the size of the prop you could run.( need more revs to make same power)
I also don't think your INS company will know the diff between 800 hp sbc and 800 hp bbc... All they will see is 800 hp.
I would also ask yourself which will last longer, after all who cares how much power you make if your always getting towed in by a bayliner or its always at the shop getting something fixed.
If you really want to do something diffrent... why not build like a ford/mopar/other GM( like pontiac or buick)/ other motor. That would be diffrent.
Don't want to get into details but it does make a difference on insurance.
I am not a fan of anything other then GM power when it comes to pushrod motors.
Prop size shouldn't be a problem since I can run 1.5 ratio and can spin high rpms.
Nto to worried about how long it will last since it won't run at WOT very often and I have seem some pretty strong SBC last a long time.
My last boats motors never got worked hard. Even after long poker runs they never got hot and oil always looked brand new. Now granted that was a 140mph plus boat so 80 was a walk in the park.
Good points though!
So what is your vote?
MP

blown65
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I voted SBC. :)

YeLLowBoaT
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Its hard to say which way I would lean. I guess with me it would be which ever motor can do the job for the lowest build cost AND lowest operating cost. I know you said the build cost is the same, but what would it cost to run a hour?( in time and money... ) Sound like you have a pretty tricked out small block vs a pretty "simple" big block. I have never been one to like extra "gadgets" on anything I own. Its just more to go wrong.
Then again, if I really wanted to be diffrent.( and had the cash...) I would build something that no one else has.( IE non push rod) Lots of stuff out there these days. Really with every thing after market, its not a chevy or ford any more... its a complation of diffrent parts from a lot of diffrent manufactors.

Cat & Mice
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Good piont about more things to go wrong, I sure don't want to be messing with it a ton. I think the only thing the SBC would have that the BBC wouldn't is Dry Sump, I would think that would hold up pretty well.
MP

pw_Tony
02-18-2007, 07:00 PM
You should run a small block dodge. Every Chevy has been offered and done in every kind of vehicle. But don't leave out the dodge, it's as light as a SBC, has much more effieciency, can get the same amount of cubes as a sbc, and generally make more horsepower and last as long as a SBC. But some people don't know about a Small Block Mopars potential. And Chevys are just a little cheaper to build.
But it'd be cool 'cause it'd be original wit as much power or more. Running a SBC does not make you special.
Just my two bits

atomickitn
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
first of all i tried to build a 427 whipple sbc, and could not get all the correct parts to handle the hp ...with mild boost 5psi, and 410 ci ...it made 560hp,710tq....http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24421&stc=1&d=1171860909

Cat & Mice
02-18-2007, 09:23 PM
first of all i tried to build a 427 whipple sbc, and could not get all the correct parts to handle the hp ...with mild boost 5psi, and 410 ci ...it made 560hp,710tq....http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24421&stc=1&d=1171860909
Atomickitn,
My 406ci SBC made over 800hp with a few parts that could have been better. The intake was not great and it started to fall off above 6300rpm. I am pretty confident that we can make at least 100hp more then before.
So what is your vote?
MP

Cat & Mice
02-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Here are the dyno numbers from my old 406ci
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/2065406_Dyno.jpg

tbanzer
02-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I say build the biggest motor you can afford. Much rather have a motor loafing making good power at low rpms, low boost. If I were looking at the same boat with the combos you proposed I would pass on a 7500rpm small block for pleasure use.

atomickitn
02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Atomickitn,
My 406ci SBC made over 800hp with a few parts that could have been better. The intake was not great and it started to fall off above 6300rpm. I am pretty confident that we can make at least 100hp more then before.
So what is your vote?
MP
im sure mine will make more hp but i just want to keep it together for a while ,,again im only running 5.5psi of boost..and the motor will handle more boost , to at least 8psi, with would make an estimate of 750hp, but i did build this one for lots of tourqe.....715 @ 4200rpm and it makes better than 500trq at 1900rpm..:idea: :D

Cat & Mice
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
im sure mine will make more hp but i just want to keep it together for a while ,,again im only running 5.5psi of boost..and the motor will handle more boost , to at least 8psi, with would make an estimate of 750hp, but i did build this one for lots of tourqe.....715 @ 4200rpm and it makes better than 500trq at 1900rpm..:idea: :D
That is pretty good torque numbers!
When I had my 6.2's I did put some pretty good heads on them and that helped a lot.
What heads do you have?
MP

DMOORE
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I voted BBC. Big motors live an easy life, comaped to a smaller screamer. Way easier to sell later also.
Darrell.

boatnam2
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I say build the biggest motor you can afford. Much rather have a motor loafing making good power at low rpms, low boost. If I were looking at the same boat with the combos you proposed I would pass on a 7500rpm small block for pleasure use.
i with him give me the big cubes,low boost and 5800 rpm.how many times do people look under the hatch and half dont know the difference anyways... was a drag car i would say give me the 434 small block 7500 rpm.

Dave C
02-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I have been shopping insurance for over a year and I have noticed that it doesn't make a bit of difference whether its SBC vs. BBC at those HP and speed levels. either way they want to gouge us.:mad:
Maybe you know something I don't.
But since every insurance company has asked me for gross horsepower and MPH and if I told them the truth about your combination I would still be denied.
Now stock thats a different story altogether.
I still like your thinking though :D :D
If you don't care about the resale, go SBC!:D
Don't want to get into details but it does make a difference on insurance.

BADBLOWN572
02-20-2007, 10:11 AM
There is no replacement for displacement. ;)
BBC. Over build it and under drive it. Let it live. To get roughly the same power out of a SBC, you will have to lean on it pretty hard. I personally have never had good luck with motors that routinely spin over 6k rpm's. :(

Ivan Dan
02-20-2007, 06:44 PM
There is no replacement for displacement. BBC. Over build it and under drive it. Let it live. To get roughly the same power out of a SBC, you will have to lean on it pretty hard.
I'm with Danny on this one....BBC!

Dave C
02-21-2007, 08:31 AM
I like how the torque curve just starts at the max and basically never goes down. LMAO :D :D
Here are the dyno numbers from my old 406ci
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/2065406_Dyno.jpg

don johnson
02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I am a big block guy but there is a cool factor to a small block.... I had a 66 Nova I sold a year ago that had a 434 small block with 18 degree heads and Hogan sheet metal manifold that ran mid 9's on motor and low 8's, on squeeze. And it was a street car with full interior, roll bar, tube chassis w/ 4 link.... Point is that you can make significant HP with the big small blocks.... I ran the piss out of this car and it kept coming back for more....
I think it would be cool to go whoop up on a few big blocks to only have them discover a small block between the stringers....

WETTE VETTE
02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
I like different and voted SBC. With that said I think my next motor will be an all aluminum NA 11:1 632" pumped gas motor. Easy 850 HP, light weight and being NA has a cool factor to it as well. A nasty big mouse would be sweet also! :D
Craig

Cat & Mice
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow a tie!
I am suprised how close it is.
I have decided to go with the BBC option. I think this boat will put a little to much strain on a single SBC. I really wanted to do something different but not despite reason.
I also realized that this is not my dream boat and I will be selling within a few years so I don't want to loose half the audience. My dream boat is a 28-29 cat with twin Badass SBC's. I guess I will have to wait to make that happen.
The other thing that helped my decision was that I found a pretty god deal on a Teague 800. I will be freshing that up and turning into a EFI w/Whipple. This thing will be pretty cool!
Thanks for all you comments and votes, it is great to get so many different perspectives.
Michael

Havasu1986
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Broke the tie.:)