PDA

View Full Version : I need a little .pdf lesson..

al cole'holic
02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
...so I created a doc and did the print option and hit 'PDF-Xchange 2.5DE' option...question is, now what...? :confused:

Beer-30
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
What are you trying to do?
Change a .doc to .pdf?
A .pdf to .doc?
Other?

al cole'holic
02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
What are you trying to do?
Change a .doc to .pdf?
A .pdf to .doc?
Other?
..thought I was gonna create a flyer in Word and turn it into a .pdf to email it out...do I not have the right program??

BajaMike
02-17-2007, 09:08 PM
..thought I was gonna create a flyer in Word and turn it into a .pdf to email it out...do I not have the right program??
I'm not sure pdf-xchange will create a PDF. If it does, it should prompt for a file name and place to save it.
Adobe Acrobat is like that....you select "print" then Acrobat Distiller, and it changes whatever you have to a PDF.

Beer-30
02-17-2007, 09:09 PM
To be honest, I have not messed with pdf(s) much. I would search in WORD help about converting to pdf. There may be some help there.

BajaMike
02-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Why not just leave it as a Word doc???

C-2
02-17-2007, 09:46 PM
I have recently been playing around with OpenSource programs, and they are killer.
Try OpenOffice Writer. You can get the entire office suite, and it's free. These programs are, in a lot of ways, more functional than MS products.
For example, OpenOffice Writer let's you export directly to PDF – it's just a click of the button. It works seamlessly with Word .doc files, so you can easily open your existing document then convert it to PDF.
http://www.openoffice.org/

al cole'holic
02-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Why not just leave it as a Word doc???
..seems everytime I send out mass emails alot of people don't have certain formats and I seem to get alot of .pdf emails that always work..

BajaMike
02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
..seems everytime I send out mass emails alot of people don't have certain formats and I seem to get alot of .pdf emails that always work..
Ok, I get it. PDF is a standardized format everyone can open, and it compresses the file. I have Adove Acrobat, and it's easy. I don't know about "Exchange"....It seems like it is a form builder type of program and is a less expensive version of Acrobat.....maybe doesn't do the same???
I could send you a full version of Acrobat from work on Tuesday....on CD.
:idea:

C-2
02-17-2007, 10:32 PM
As BajaMike pointed out, you need the full Adobe Acrobat to convert it to PDF. The full version, without a doubt, is the most comprehensive and versatile program used for document exchange. It's conversion filters allow you change formats in countless combinations. I couldn't live without mine.
There are also many new WORD to PDF prorams available, but they are pointless if you get OpenOfficeWriter.
Trust me guys, OpenOffice Writer is a kick ass program that pretty much makes Word look like notepad. It's ONLY downside is its inability to handle MS generated tables accurately. The PDF conversion button is super convenient.
OpenOffice is put out by Sun Microsystems – this is not some two-bit freeware.
Hey BajaMike - what version Acrobat you got?

DTI
02-18-2007, 12:08 AM
...so I created a doc and did the print option and hit 'PDF-Xchange 2.5DE' option...question is, now what...? :confused:
I have Microsoft Office and Acrobat. Send me your file and I'll create the PDF for you. dishimaru@sbcglobal.net

DelawareDave
02-18-2007, 07:30 AM
There is a free program available called Cute PDF. It installs as a printer. You create your flier in Word, or whatever, then print, using Cute PDF, and it will create a PDF file from your Word document. Very simple.
http://www.cutepdf.com/

Troy McClure
02-18-2007, 07:37 AM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??
Small children should allways were their PDF while on a boat or even around water. Adults, should know how to swim if around water and if they don't, well then natural selection takes over doesn't it.:D :D