PDA

View Full Version : A different way of reading bowl pressure

1968Droptop
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I had an idea about reading my intake pressure the other day that I'm going to follow through with. When I purchased my boat, it already had been drilled and capped in 3 places for taking intake pressure readings. 2 of the 3 are accessable somewhat, and the lowest 1 has an extesnsion line on it to make it accessable. These are for using a mechanical gauge.
I was thinking about using an electric gauge instead. I thumbed through the Summit catalog and have found a full sweep elec. oil pressure gauge that reads from 0 to 80 psi. They also have a digital gauge that reads in 1 lb. increments. Pricing for the gauge and 3 senders is about $70.
I plan on installing the sending units and hooking them up to a switch that will let me choose which sending unit I want to to view. I'm going to make a quick disconnect under the passenger helm for the gauge. That way I can just plug in the gauge and hand it to my passenger for reading while I'm zooming across the water. I don't want to cut a hole in my helm, as the gauge won't match my new AutoMeter Proc-Comp white faced gauges, and there's really no good place to install it that can be easily and acurately viewed.
What do you think ? I'm sure someone has tried this before, just wondering if I'm missing something that won't allow this idea to work ? The only thing I'll have to add is a small ground strap to the pump housing and I think this idea will work.
P.S. What's a 'proper' intake pressure ???

Duane HTP
02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Are you really talking bowl pressure, or do you mean intake pressure???

1968Droptop
02-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Are you really talking bowl pressure, or do you mean intake pressure???
Nice catch Duane, I meant INTAKE pressure, not sure what I was thinking when I typed it out.....my bad.

OverKill
02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I can remember last year having vacume problems with carb. I duct tape the gauge next to the PRM guage on the dash and my buddy video taped the readings. After putting everything back on the trailer we went home and watched what was going on with my 50" HDTV. Just an idea incase you want to review over and over.

billet racing 1
02-19-2007, 05:24 AM
I run between 40-45 lbs intake pressure. I use a mechanical oil gauge. Freeks riders out when I tell them no oil pressure till we really get going.
Don't see why you couldn't use electrical, just remember to ground you jet. need good electrical connection.
Jerry