PDA

View Full Version : ramp stories

work2play
02-18-2007, 10:59 AM
What is the worst or funnest experience on the boat ramp? When I was young (21 looked 15) I went to a small reservoir opening day of fishing season. An old man was at the bottom of the narrow ramp in his tin can. His fishing line was in a knot and he was untangling it. And he wouldn't move off the ramp. I ask if I could pull his boat out of the way so everyone could launch. He said, not till he was finished untangling his line. I said fine, my boat is big and I'm launching right over the top of you, so I can fish now. As I walked up the ramp some fisherman asked me what I was going to do. I said, launch. I started backing down the ramp pretty fast. The old man in the tin can looked up at the biggest boat at the reservoir backing down on him pretty fast. The old man then yelled at the other fisherman and asked, Whats that kid doing? The fisherman said, I think that kid is launching whether you are there are not. The old man fell out of his tin can trying to scramble out of his boat to move it.

YeLLowBoaT
02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
"make it happen' captin"
all i'm going to say.

sangervdrive
02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
About 10 years ago my dad pulled our family boat with a diesel '79ish Toronado. One day he put the boat in then went up to park and the ignition switch broke and he couldn't get the thing to shut off, we had almost nothing for tools and we ended up taking the aircleaner and a bunch of stuff off then finally he stopped the fuel somehow with the injectors, it was really funny at the time. Some guy kept yelling "Just pull the coil wire!" haha

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
2 years ago I got to watch this guy put in a Glastron, he launched it and drove the trailer up for parking. He then made his way back down to his boat to see it sinking, his fellow passengers are saying grab the trailer :D :D Forrest Gump running for the truck and trailer, gets it back on the trailer and sits for 20 minutes letting the water out of it :D too funny, it gets better though :D owner gets the plug in and goes for a ride and comes back to the launch area, 20 ish guy that was with him took it for a rip then..buy then the owner was on the dock waiting for his boat :D :D This kid brought the boat in so fast it took out 3" of the nose on it and just about made the owner hit water on the other side of the launch :D ......( . )( . )...........This was it sinking:D :D I was sitting back lmao
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24352&stc=1&d=1171827743

Zaairman
02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Few months ago we were coming in, and were behind a 28' Crownline(??) named "DA WRED ONE." Anyways, it just the father and his two sons, who couldn't have been more than 7. Dad goes to get the truck. It's a mid 90's Chevy 1500 reg cab short bed. Just the perfect tow truck for this huge boat. Backs it in the water, and positions junior at the trailer. Dad gets a GOOD running start at the trailer, along with booming rap music to make sure that he cannot hear his instructions. He hits the trailer with a pretty decent amount of speed, and MISSES the rubber bow stoper thing. Dad ask jr, if he's there yet, Jr replies, no daddy, you missed it. Dad procedes to GUN IT. Starts to push the trailer and truck forwards. I'm thinking jr is toast, cause he's about 2' from the bow. Finally, dad realizes that he's about to kill his son, stops, and actually listens to what his son is telling him.
Another time, these people launched their aluminum fishing boat, and forgot to put somebody in it to bring it back to the dock.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Not funny to the owner but,,,,
Several years ago, I was holding my boat at the dock at Elsinore. 2 guys are gettin ready to launch their tri-hull. One guy is backing the truck while the other is in the boat warming the motor as the whole rig is backing in (right next to me).
As the unhooked boat gets ready to float, the guy pins the sticks and drives the tri-hull right over the front of the trailer and into the back of the truck smashing the shell camper and laying over one of the truck bed fenders!
The driver starts yelling "oh shit, shit, shit!! I sat there watching in disbelief.
Over the years I've helped countless people back and launch mostly so they wouldn't hit me and I love sitting by launch ramps watching the show.

MR.rvrluvr
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
when I was a kid we were at lake peris this girl had a stand up jetski in the back of a stationwagon. She had the back door laid down as she backed down the ramp ( at about 30 mph) she hit the brakes about half way down and out came the jetski. Must have bounced 5 times before it hit the water
Dad and I couldn't stop laughing
Another time at site six ( I have a million site six stories as I am sure we all do) a guy with an escalade put it in to far and his wife was going to fast and BANG time for a new back door on the escalade ..........sad but funny
Personal favorite...........Site six again guy couldn't back his single axle seadoo trailer kept jacknifeing every 5 feet. took him about 10 min to go 30 feet (on a big weekend) every body laughin there ass off. Anyway he finaly got it close and jacked it again. Someone jumped off the pad and just pick up the damn trailer and put it straight so he could finish backing it up.. Funny shit right there.

jbone
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Back in my jet ski days, I launched 2 skis and tied them to the dock. When I got back they were both sitting on the bottom, still tied to the dock.
Luckily, I acted fast. I drained the water, pulled the plugs and turned it over to get the wat out. After repeating this process about 30 times in 120 heat, I got one started. I handed it over to a friend and he took it out for about a 30 minute cruise. I repeated the process on the other ski and we were good for the rest of the weekend. I got lucky, but it was kinda funny in hind sight.
J

jbone
02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Another story.
I watched a woman in a motorhome trying to back a trailer down the ramp for her guy that was in the boat.
When she made the u-turn and started backing, the trailer jacknifed to the blind side and she pushed it about 30 feet all the way down the ramp. It was funny, because the trailer was skidding and bouncing as it went. The best part was this drunk guy (some stranger) kept telling her "your good, come on, your good."
J

MR.rvrluvr
02-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Another story.
I watched a woman in a motorhome trying to back a trailer down the ramp for her guy that was in the boat.
When she made the u-turn and started backing, the trailer jacknifed to the blind side and she pushed it about 30 feet all the way down the ramp. It was funny, because the trailer was skidding and bouncing as it went. The best part was this drunk guy (some stranger) kept telling her "your good, come on, your good."
J
on the motorhome thought I have seen atleast 3 motorhomes (older) with the door in the back go to far in the water and the water started flowing in thru the back dooor

ratso
02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
A couple years back, we were pulling up to the dock in a boat and hit something... we jumped in the water to see what it was because we never hit anything there before and the water was a little lower. It was a Dodge pickup that had been stolen a year prior... we hung around to see if there was going to be a body in it, but there wasn't.

Jetaholic
02-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Another time at site six a guy put it in to far and his wife was going to fast and BANG time ...
WOW! Site 6 sounds like a "happenin' " place!!! :D:D:D

MR.rvrluvr
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
no other place to party on a Holiday weekend after dark. Bring the beer and get ready to laugh your ass off

RitcheyRch
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Never been there to watch to action but sounds like could be fun.

Ned S
02-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I guess this one would count as the boat ended up on shore near the ramps and actually made it thru the riprap and into the trees.
Rented boat, southern IL , 2 drunk black guys, 18' boat 120 or so hp, at the dock ready to ski.
The skier was sitting on the dock in a no wake zone. The pilot was positioning the boat for the pull. He hit 2 docks 3 boats and damn near smashed and mangled the skiers legs getting into position for the pull. The pilot was about 5' from the skier, a screaming crowd had formed, dont, you cant, you hit my boat!
No problem for these guys as they were on a mission.
Pilot says are you ready?
Skier says" let it happen captian "!
Pilot goes wfo , skier soon runs out of rope. :sqeyes:
The result was both shoulders dislocated for the skier and a totaled rental boat. But at least he was watching his skier and the water was shallow so rescue was easy, small trees and big rocks stopped the boat quickly, and they did not make it on to the lake.
Too this day every time my friends and I ski when we are ready the reply is let it happen captian

Mandelon
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Where's the story about the boy and his dog.....:D

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 09:53 PM
when I was a kid we were at lake peris this girl had a stand up jetski in the back of a stationwagon. She had the back door laid down as she backed down the ramp ( at about 30 mph) she hit the brakes about half way down and out came the jetski. Must have bounced 5 times before it hit the water
Another time at site six ( I have a million site six stories as I am sure we all do) a guy with an escalade put it in to far and his wife was going to fast and BANG time for a new back door on the escalade ..........sad but funny
Personal favorite...........Site six again guy couldn't back his single axle seadoo trailer kept jacknifeing every 5 feet. took him about 10 min to go 30 feet (on a big weekend) every body laughin there ass off. Anyway he finaly got it close and jacked it again. Someone jumped off the pad and just pick up the damn trailer and put it straight so he could finish backing it up.. Funny shit right there.
That is piss my pants funny.........( . )( . )..............:D :D

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
no other place to party on a Holiday weekend after dark. Bring the beer and get ready to laugh your ass off
Where is this place and can I come?..........( . )( . )........:D :D Just to check it out so to speak :idea:

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I guess this one would count as the boat ended up on shore near the ramps and actually made it thru the riprap and into the trees.
Rented boat, southern IL , 2 drunk black guys, 18' boat 120 or so hp, at the dock ready to ski.
The skier was sitting on the dock in a no wake zone. The pilot was positioning the boat for the pull. He hit 2 docks 3 boats and damn near smashed and mangled the skiers legs getting into position for the pull. The pilot was about 5' from the skier, a screaming crowd had formed, dont, you cant, you hit my boat!
No problem for these guys as they were on a mission.
Pilot says are you ready?
Skier says" let it happen captian "!
Pilot goes wfo , skier soon runs out of rope. :sqeyes:
The result was both shoulders dislocated for the skier and a totaled rental boat. But at least he was watching his skier and the water was shallow so rescue was easy, small trees and big rocks stopped the boat quickly, and they did not make it on to the lake.
Too this day every time my friends and I ski when we are ready the reply is let it happen captian
I have to say sir, that mad me laugh my ass off Captain....( . )( . )........:D :D

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Another story.
J
I really am pissing my pants reading this stuff, this one is a keeper:D :D ...........( . )( . ).........

life's a river
02-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Back in 94 I went to Parker with a buddy and we launched at Patria Flats only to find that my battery was dead. No big deal. I asked my buddy to turn the truck around and head down into the water so we could jump start the boat like we have all done at once or twice. Boat fires right up. No big deal. I said were good now go park the truck. Dumb $hit friend forgets to put the truck in reverse and drives it right into the water, then just sits there with an OH $HIT look on his face. I yelled at him, put it in reverse and get it out of the water as water was coming up and over the hood. No damage. Just a story to make us laugh now. :D :D

vmjtc3
02-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I think I was at site 6 for the jacknife king. It was memorial last year I think. It was right before the guy ran his jetski in to the back of the trailer at about 20.......

anxious
02-18-2007, 10:28 PM
i cant recall all the good times at the lauch ramp at havasu landing. I must say that it there that I lose my voice, piss my pants laughing, piss some people off, and have one hell of a time.

Kim Hanson
02-18-2007, 10:42 PM
i cant recall all the good times at the lauch ramp at havasu landing. I must say that it there that I lose my voice, piss my pants laughing, piss some people off, and have one hell of a time.
Be patient with me, is this like right in Lake Havasu :confused: I was at Windsor or something like that. I got to watch the big dually 1 ton Dodge try to pull up a toon boat in 2 wheel drive, she was smiling at me while the truck was doing one good smoke show
:D :D .........( . )( . )..............

anxious
02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Be patient with me, is this like right in Lake Havasu :confused: I was at Windsor or something like that. I got to watch the big dually 1 ton Dodge try to pull up a toon boat in 2 wheel drive, she was smiling at me while the truck was doing one good smoke show
Yeah, Havasu Landing is on the California side of Havasu. You don't get a 10 unless you leave some rubber :D :D
a few of my favs.... a boat full throttle come into the back of a truck, and an 18 minute back up with a trailer to lauch a boat(no joke!!)

OKIE-JET
02-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Site 6 sounds interesting.....:D
One sat. were all at the lake drinkin hard at the dock gettin ready for a sunset cruise. This guy putters in on this huge, raggedy-assed pontoon, hes wearing jeans and cowbow boots, everything on, watch, pager, cell, wallet, looks like hes goin' two-steppin'.:D His 'ol lady backs down his rig (actually pretty good at it), and he makes HER get out and come out tits-deep (fully clothed of course...lmao), hook up the winch strap and get shit situated. Funny thing was he sit up there and made sure it was all going to plan, then hopped oh-so-ballerina like into the back of his truck and gave the go-ahead. She probably drove 30 feet or so before realizing the winch wasnt locked in and there's her old man flippin' his wig havin seizure in the back of the truck....we fockin died laughin'....even funnier was the breeze just sucked his toon slowly out to the strap limit (bout another 20 or so). I cant remember that sunset.:D

40FlatDeck
02-19-2007, 07:40 AM
"make it happen' captin"
all i'm going to say.
Somebody please tell this story again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 08:27 AM
The best stories, last Saturday at any ramp on Havasu and next Saturday will be better than the last one. NSF

Not So Fast
02-19-2007, 09:25 AM
What amazes me is how that many idiots can congregate in one spot and no one get killed!!!!!!! NSF AND not a ranger in sight.

HM
02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
When Elsinore is slick, it is always fun to see what people do.
This brutha in an escalade was determined to get the trailer out, and was doing a 3rd gear one legger burnout in the water throwing a roost about 50 feet back completely dowsing his boat and passengers. Just as the grumpy old man in the dodge comes driving up, he actually makes it out of the water, but not without almost losing it because a wheel turning about 80 MPH doesn't like to stop very quickly.....the guy does a couple fish tails, over correcting a few times with the trailer in tow. Then he walks back down like it was all cool. The grumpy old guy (I think his name is Mater) was just scratching his ear and shaking his head. Also, everyone in the brotha's boat was wearing shorts, with black socks, top siders, and in a 15' Sea Doo Boat. Hey....what ever floats yer boat!

Zaairman
02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Reminds me of the time my uncle was towing his 30' I/O Pontoon with a freakin Mitsubishi Montreo. Barely pulled it outta the water in 4LOW. :idea:

Baja Big Dog
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Two words...Park Moabi.....before they rebuilt the ramps, not enough time for all the stories..
Best was the New Chevy truck sinking to the bottom at the ramp....the lights still worked after the truck was submerged!!!!.:sqeyes:

2Driver
02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Several years ago we were water skiing up river past Moonridge when we saw a large blue smoke cloud (tires burning), followed by an even larger cloud of steam (engine going under).
When we skied up there we found a Chevy Blazer II trailering 2 jet-skis sitting on the bottom of the river. It was a very steep slippery ramp in combo with a 2-wheel drive Blazer. The outcome was predictable.

dumbandyoung
02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Two years ago at Katherines Landing I went down to grab my broken seadoo out of the water with my friends Burb. After loading, When I got back in the truck it was off. Turns out it was a fuel pump issue. Anyways Im sittin on the ramp 4th of july weekend and no one is happy with me. So I run back to the room and grab my friend and his dad and his brother. So the 4 of us are standing dumbfounded. Then some cowboy that works at the marina comes up on a tractor and says hell pull me out with a tie down. I said no way it will rip. He said no Ive done it before, theyre are stronger than people think. So my frineds clever dad and brother say yah these are pretty tough. So the brother hooks one end to his truck and the other end to the broken truck. He barely even pulls and it rips in half and comes flying at the broken Burbs window putting a nice huge crack in the window. At that point im standing there laughing my ass off along with everyone else at the ramp. So finally we find a guy with a chain. Then they had to wait 2 hours in the parking lot for a tow truck. The tow truck comes and cant fit the 37" tires. So they had to call another tow truck. Luckily it came in 20 minutes. Then we proceeded to drink our sun burns better.

BALLSDEEP
02-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Site 6 is always entertaining…
I remember a few years back we were at Site 6 watching a pack of bothers try and pull there boat out...They were straight out of Compton! There were about 8 people on the Playboy Cigarette boat that they had just purchased. The trailer was so long and the water was so low that the trailer high sided in the middle. Rather than have another truck try and help pull them out they had the bright idea to ram the boat trailer thinking they would have enough momentum to get them unstuck. After about 20 unsuccessful attempts they stopped and realized that it wasn’t helping. I don’t know about some people….

Keith E. Sayre
02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Here's a good one from Site Six last summer. Everyone was there for this one. A guy backs a single Seadoo trailer into the water and off floats his Seadoo. It floats
about 10 feet further back and off he goes with the truck
and trailer. We're sitting there laughing at the antics of
everyone else and this guy simply backflushes his Seadoo
and drives off! About 30 seconds later, here he comes on
foot with a big dog at his side. He walks into the water,
swims over to his Seadoo that is floating right in the middle and gets on it, fires up the engine and looks for
the dog. The dog is sitting by us on the sidewalk, he hears his owners call, jumps off the elevated sidewalk into the water, he climbs on the back of the Seadoo and off they
go! If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.
Keith Sayre

bohica
02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
About 10 years ago my buddy was retrieving his boat at the LHC Marina at around 10:00 pm. As he is backing the truck and trailer into the water, it catches the slime and starts sliding into the water. He jumps out and tries to lock the front hubs, but it's to late. The entire truck slid in, and the only thing you could see is the headlights thru the water.
He calls a tow company to come winch it out. His girlfriend asks the driver how much they owe, and the driver says a buck fifty ought to cover it. She then asks my buddy for the 5 dollar bill she gave him early. He's like WTF, sorry honey he means $150.:D
We pickled the motor, drained all the fluids and got the truck running the next day. It was funny as hell when everytime they stopped on the way home, they all got out with soaking wet shorts.