PDA

View Full Version : ABSOLUTELY the Most Important Option

burtandnancy
01-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Been around boats a few years, been to at least 30 boat shows, and subscribe to many boating magazines; have seen the evolution of recreational and performance boats, bow riders and party/deck boats. See every concievable standard feature and option from cup holders, big motors, thru transom exhaust and labbed props. The one thing missing in the media and at the shows is something nearly all of us need/use and should have and that is the bimini. You can't boat on our desert lakes and rivers without some protection, but not all bimini's are the same. They need to be strong enough for our sustained high speeds, hold thier shape, not balloon up like a parachute or collapse on our head and not kill our cruising speed. Compared to the cost of other options, a bimini is cheap! And to me, who has owned at least 25 of them, the only people who make one worth while are my friends at Custom Canvas in Montclair. They sell thru the manufacturers or you can go direct to them. Don't leave home without one...

HOOTER SLED-
01-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Nice to have. I almost never use mine though. I like the sun. :rollside:

Throttle
01-31-2006, 08:10 AM
mmmmmmmm :idea:

phebus
01-31-2006, 08:12 AM
My bimini has straps at the front, and I need to have it changed to poles. At speed, the straps loosen, and the bimini starts flapping.

MagicMtnDan
01-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Biminis are necessary and look good when up but awful when they're not in use. Very few boat companies have come up with a clever solution for hiding them when they're not in use. It'd be nice to see more thought put into bimini storage (out of sight, out of mind).

phebus
01-31-2006, 08:16 AM
That's true, the one's I've seen that the bimini goes under the engine hatch, still leave the poles going back right along the back seat. Not good for the passengers.

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 08:37 AM
My bimini has straps at the front, and I need to have it changed to poles. At speed, the straps loosen, and the bimini starts flapping.
put a twist in your straps, that stops the flapping.

phebus
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
put a twist in your straps, that stops the flapping.
I always put a twist in the straps to stop them from flapping. What I'm talking about is the straps loosening, and the top flapping.

SummitKarl
01-31-2006, 08:57 AM
I always put a twist in the straps to stop them from flapping. What I'm talking about is the straps loosening, and the top flapping. OHHHHHH ....my Bad... how about less motor :p :)

riverracerx
01-31-2006, 09:06 AM
I love the electric bimini on the Magic 30' line. Those are trick!!

JMC
01-31-2006, 09:20 AM
a mesh material. One that you can leave up when you make a fast run (100 mph) and the air passes through it.... Here it is www.kingkidcovers.com

79Challenger
01-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Been around boats a few years, been to at least 30 boat shows, and subscribe to many boating magazines; have seen the evolution of recreational and performance boats, bow riders and party/deck boats. See every concievable standard feature and option from cup holders, big motors, thru transom exhaust and labbed props. The one thing missing in the media and at the shows is something nearly all of us need/use and should have and that is the bimini. You can't boat on our desert lakes and rivers without some protection, but not all bimini's are the same. They need to be strong enough for our sustained high speeds, hold thier shape, not balloon up like a parachute or collapse on our head and not kill our cruising speed. Compared to the cost of other options, a bimini is cheap! And to me, who has owned at least 25 of them, the only people who make one worth while are my friends at Custom Canvas in Montclair. They sell thru the manufacturers or you can go direct to them. Don't leave home without one...
Custom Canvas did my bimini and cover. Everything looks and performs beautifully.

riverbound
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
a mesh material. One that you can leave up when you make a fast run (100 mph) and the air passes through it.... Here it is www.kingkidcovers.com
That is what I have on mine. But the bimini is rarely up....definitely a necesity when I have the kids though.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10912&stc=1

Her454
01-31-2006, 09:30 AM
OHHHHHH ....my Bad... how about less motor :p :)
That is UN-AMERICAN. :rollside:

phebus
01-31-2006, 09:37 AM
You can put a rivet in them to keep them up. I don't know if that solves your problem but it did mine.
I might do that. Just adjust them to length, and rivet them.
I still don't trust those straps though. There's a lot of pressure on the bimini when going at speed. I saw WetWillies boat, when his bimini ripped off..Lucky it didn't take someone's head off.
What should be done, yet I don't see it done, would be thu-bolt all the bimini hardware with a backing plates behind it.

spectras only
01-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Burt , have a bimini with full enclosure if I want . It's a wet coast thing :)
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/2004pbnwpokerrun110.jpg

Hardly Satisfied
01-31-2006, 10:16 AM
That is the ticket, very nice

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Burt,
Thanks for the solid referral. I have been looking for a bimini vendor for the Revolution as our super secret kick ass shade plan is a little behind schedule...
I will give them a call for sure.
Thanks.

Mrs. 4-B
01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Rick, talk to Lee at "Cover Me Custom" in Havasu. He just fixed our front bimini so it doesn't sway. He did a great job! and he's reasonable and quick.

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
This is obviously a commercial so I do not want to take away from that. But Adlee Covers are also very very nice.

gmocnik
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
Burt,
Thanks for the solid referral. I have been looking for a bimini vendor for the Revolution as our super secret kick ass shade plan is a little behind schedule...
I will give them a call for sure.
Thanks.
wes..nice meeting you saturday...ron tesarski (sp) is the guy at custom canvas...old school guy, racer, perfectionist...none better at upholstry, etc...
gary

Froggystyle
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
wes..nice meeting you saturday...ron tesarski (sp) is the guy at custom canvas...old school guy, racer, perfectionist...none better at upholstry, etc...
gary
You as well! Tough to remember names and faces sometimes...
Hope to see you out at the river soon...

burtandnancy
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Cole 1313, not meant as a commercial, but a bit of a criticism of all the toys we put on our boats that the magazines never seem to acknowledge. I read all the tests and look at all the standard and optional items shown, both out of interest in what people want and the pricing from one manufacturer to another. I also see a lot of bimini's on boats all over the place, but little is ever published about them. My comments about Custom Canvas is because his are very, very good, perform well and are inexpensive on the scale of things we all use when boating.

MagicMtnDan
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
I love the electric bimini on the Magic 30' line. Those are trick!!
I haven't seen that - how does it work? Do you have any pics? Thanks Chris

Ziggy
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Mine just pisses me off at any speed over 40-45. I've tried a few things to keep the canvas taught when at speed but it still bellows down and bends the shit out of the rear bow....my fricken aluminum bimini never had this problem at any speed, I could tow that thing on the freeway.
Been contemplating putting solid supports at the rear and keep the front tight with the straps. The center bow gets pressed down hard by the canvas bellowing down which in turn bends the rear bow where the center bow attaches. I see many variations, some where the center bow is attached to the front bow while others are on the rear bow. Who knows what is best and why? Its the one thing that bugs me about my boat... :crossx: