PDA

View Full Version : Auto parts or marine parts?

26ftSleekcraft
02-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok so I keep hearing about the importance of running marine grade carbs and electronics on my boat which has an enclosed engine compartment. Most of this I hear from boat supply web sites who have a vested interest in having people buy the crazy high priced boat grade equipment. So I wanted to ask you guys, how import ant is it to run a marine carb, alt, & starter? I mean i'm running two air blowers to keep the area fume free. I'm an outboard guy trying to learn about I/Os. So what do you guys think? I don't mind stepping up for marine grade stuff if it's going to keep my boat from blowing up. :)
Thanks

Ryan00TJ
02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
One added benefit of marine spec parts is you are covered by your insurance if you ever have to make a claim. An engine fire with a non marine part overseen by a ins adjuster might not be covered. FYI
However alot of boaters run auto carbs and ignition setups with no problems. I've used a Holley 4150 DP for over 10 years. I do run Merc starters and alternators.
If you do not use marine parts then just be careful and go the extra mile with pre start engine checks. Have a few extra fire extinguishers on the boat.

rrrr
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
if it's going to keep my boat from blowing up.
It will. Plus, anyone that would risk other people's lives to save a few bucks shouldn't be boating.
Plus the fact it's illegal.....and your insurance would deny coverage in the event of a claim.

Rexone
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Not worth the risk to life and property with closed engine compartment imo. All it takes is one fuel leak, bilge blower malfunction, or similar. I'm sure boatcop could direct us to some splosion footage. It can get ugly in the turn of a key.
I've been running this or that for 20 years never had a problem... yeah I've heard those stories too and they're actually pretty common. :)
All it takes is one time tho and everything falls into perspective. :(
Not to mention the insurance coverage becoming null and void. That becomes an even bigger deal if someone's hurt or killed.

vee-driven
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
CAR VS. MARINE besides the price is, spark suppression and supposed corrosion resistance, probably important in closed engine compartments with fumes, but i dont worry about that b.s. in my open v-drive hotrods.

LUVNLIFE
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
CAR VS. MARINE besides the price is, spark suppression and supposed corrosion resistance, probably important in closed engine compartments with fumes, but i dont worry about that b.s. in my open v-drive hotrods.
Spark suppression and anti corrosian resistance is why there is extra cost. Don't be cheap, be safe.;)

rrrr
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
BTW I had a 1979 26' Sleek, bought it new.....it had two 40 gallon side tanks. Used to tell people "The fire extinguishers are here, here, and here. The PFDs are under these cushions."
"If there's a fire, forget the fire extinguishers, grab a life jacket, and swim like hell...." :idea: :D

Jetaholic
02-19-2007, 11:53 PM
My boat had nothing marine on it when I bought it. I'll be reassembling it pretty soon with all marine grade parts.
On the water safety is definitely key...you take your family and friends out on your boat, not to mention yourself...and the fact that there are other people on the lake...why not make sure all these people are safe? It's pretty inconsiderate of people to not see past their own wallets when it comes to the safety of themselves and others. You only have one life...treat it with caution or your boating days just may come to an end a lot sooner than you think.
A fire on the water is a lot worse than a fire on land. You can't just call the fire department to come save you...you gotta know how to properly extinguish fires when they happen. And the first step to doing this is to take all the necessary precautions to make sure that the fire never happens in the first place.
The extra cost of marine parts IMHO is just a small price to pay to protect the life and liberty of myself and others.
Aside from the safety perspective...marine parts are what sets boats apart from cars.

jbone
02-20-2007, 04:42 AM
I've upgraded a lot of components since buying the boat new. Including the MSD Billet Dist, Speed Demon carb, high output alt, Mallory 140 fuel pump.
I went with all marine grade stuff and probably spent 100-200 extra on everything. There was no doubt for me. Children on the boat are worth the expense.
If you buy new and shop around, you'd be suprised how affordable the stuff is. It is much harder to buy used marine grade.
J

jkh04200
02-20-2007, 09:42 AM
On anything electrical, go marine. Not worth the chances. But, you don't have to be like my buddyt. Use common sense. Majority of your engine parts are the same. A water hose is a water hose. I replaced my oil pump last summer. The marine parts house was out of them and it would take 3-4 days to get one in. It was around 80.00 bucks. I asked them what the part # was and they told me it was a Melling #55, or something like that. I called Oriellys, A melling #55 is a stock SBC oil pump. Get this, with a new pickup, it was less that 15.00. Guess you pay a premium for that Mercruiser box.

victorfb
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
does anyone do a conversion to make a non marine holley carb into a marine version?

Jetaholic
02-20-2007, 10:09 AM
does anyone do a conversion to make a non marine holley carb into a marine version?
As far as I know the only difference between a marine carb and an auto carb are the bowl vent tubes. On a car, they point upward, but on a marine carb they point down into the carb barrels in a "J" shape (they're actually called 'J' tubes) so that if the bowl happens to flood the extra fuel will just dump itself right down the carb into the engine.

YeLLowBoaT
02-20-2007, 10:18 AM
some of us can't get marine parts for our motors...

victorfb
02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
As far as I know the only difference between a marine carb and an auto carb are the bowl vent tubes. On a car, they point upward, but on a marine carb they point down into the carb barrels in a "J" shape (they're actually called 'J' tubes) so that if the bowl happens to flood the extra fuel will just dump itself right down the carb into the engine.
the "j" tubes are part of the marinized carb. but i believe they also have the main shafts either O-ringed or sealed in some way.

maddad
02-20-2007, 10:41 AM
air bleeds and restrictions in a marine carb reflect the high load, low vacuum marine world.

Stingray69
02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I know of a guy who sent his ZZ502's Holley to Nickerson's for marinizing.

MKEELINE
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Not worth the risk to life and property with closed engine compartment imo. All it takes is one fuel leak, bilge blower malfunction, or similar. I'm sure boatcop could direct us to some splosion footage. It can get ugly in the turn of a key.
I've been running this or that for 20 years never had a problem... yeah I've heard those stories too and they're actually pretty common. :)
All it takes is one time tho and everything falls into perspective. :(
Not to mention the insurance coverage becoming null and void. That becomes an even bigger deal if someone's hurt or killed.
Would insurance cover a fire if the engine compartment is open,but the motor isn't "marinized"?
Rex,
How many of these TT or blown boats running around with engine covers do you think are completely marinized?

Rexone
02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Would insurance cover a fire if the engine compartment is open,but the motor isn't "marinized"?
Rex,
How many of these TT or blown boats running around with engine covers do you think are completely marinized?
My guess is they would not be covered in many cases. Insurance companies look for any loophole to get out of paying. I'd read the policy closely. I think there are plenty of boats running around that don't meet the insurance companies criteria, but the owners of are paying premiums anyway. In an explosion situation / claim I think there'd be some rude awakenings on the part of the policyholders.

f_inscreenname
02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Do it right or do it twice and that's if you get a chance to. If not you may see "Later's" boat when your down there. :eek:

SmokinLowriderSS
02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Also in the float bowls there are special "slosh tubes", small rectangular plastic tubes that go from the bowl vent passage out over the fuel almost to the end of the float bowl. They reduce the possibility of slosh from the primary bowl on hard acceleration, and the seccondary on hard decelleration. They are not really a "marine" mod per se, but a "maneuver g-load" mod comon to high-perf cars.
Some people add "jet extention tubes" but I have never had trouble not running any in mine.