PDA

View Full Version : Hp ?

flatrookie
02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a hp ? how much hp can you get out of a natural aspiration motor ? what comp and what octane ? the reason I have a 472 stroked bbc with 14-1 comp and I drove it in the rain w/tennis balls to try not to get water in the zoomies but it did and I did not know and it sat for a month then I tried to start it :( so I have to do a rebuild and am considering doing a blower or sticking to natural I would like the 1000 hp range any info or rec would greatly appreciated

Blown 472
02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a hp ? how much hp can you get out of a natural aspiration motor ? what comp and what octane ? the reason I have a 472 stroked bbc with 14-1 comp and I drove it in the rain w/tennis balls to try not to get water in the zoomies but it did and I did not know and it sat for a month then I tried to start it :( so I have to do a rebuild and am considering doing a blower or sticking to natural I would like the 1000 hp range any info or rec would greatly appreciated
Huh?

SmokinLowriderSS
02-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Way to help there blown, you being the engine build god and all. :rolleyes:
Anyhow:
It depends on WAY too much to pop you a number flatrookie.
For starters, what RPM do you want this 1000 HP at?
HP is a calculated number, derived from measured torque crossed with RPM.
That means 1,000 HP at 5,000 RPM is NOT the same as 1,000 HP at 7,000 RPM. The lower RPM HP takes much more torque to produce.
What RPM range you want to use really defines the cam profile, and the intake system requirements.
IMO, you are not going to get 1,000 HP NA.
Yea, I know, somewhere, some magazine has done it on 470 cubes and I didn't get the issue, but it's going to be a 7-grand engine, and is going to surprise me a lot if it isn't (or damn close to 7-grand).
1,000 HP with a lot better ease of driving will be a simpler thing to do blown.
Problem is this;
Bigger blower will make pressure with less heat added, which reduces power.
Smaller blower costs less, but you have to work harder to make the same muscle.
The smaller the blower, the more pressure you need, the more you need an intercooler, add dollars.
You can PM me or post here, your discression, if you want, we can colaborate on an engine modeling program I have a copy of. It could help settle in a direction and ideas to ballpark you in.
Good luck to ya rookie. :)

WannabeRacing
02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, first things first. If you are REALLY going to make 1000 horsepower naturally aspirated with less than 500 cubic inches, lets talk parts. Heads. We are not talking things from the factory. It won't happen. If you plan on staying with a 4.840 pattern, the very least head that will work is the old Pontiac pro stock heads, the 427 head. 18 degree big chiefs may get you close. The 14's, 11's Profilers, Brodix 12's, Sonny's 14.5's or a DRCE. Then you will have to go with an aftermarket block. Small bore blocks will shroud the valves or actually contact the valves on the above heads. Above heads are designed for 4.600 range of bore. Great valvetrain is a must. Just the rocker arms for the above heads will cost you over a grand with stands. You are going to need a good crank and rods, with nice pistons and stout wrist pins. You ring package will be stout too. Probably have to pull vacuum to make this power in a boat with a fairly mild cam profile to make the thing drivable. Then the rpms will be though the roof and you will have to stay on this baby with maintenance like no tomorrow. Check valves before and after every time to the lake. And did I mention- get ready for breakage.
The only way to do it with what it sounds like you have already is unwise amounts of nitrous, turbos or a supercharger.
One thing you need to understand. Lots of people talk about 1000 horsepower. Lots of people talk about their 120 mph boat. Way less than 10% of the 1000 horsepower engines have dyno sheets to prove that, or will ever make anywhere close to 1000. Most wouldn't hit 800 to save their lives. 1% of the boats on ebay that say 'easy 100 mph' will ever see 100 mph. Even being towed down the road.
1000 horsepower is a TON!
And the question- how much can you get out of a N/A engine. about 1800. It will take the good stuff. 5 in bore space, 820+ cubic inches and every trick known to man. Carbs on casoline.

gn7
02-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Well, first things first. If you are REALLY going to make 1000 horsepower naturally aspirated with less than 500 cubic inches, lets talk parts.
Heh wannabe, fall asleep at the keyboard,? H e said it is a 572!!! IF you can't get 1000hp out of a 572 with just plain GOOD parts, off the shelf stuff and a 14-71 and chiller, throw away your torque wrench. That said, the less you are willing to settle for, hp wise , the less it's going to cost in good parts, and maint.

BDMar
02-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Heh wannabe, fall asleep at the keyboard,? H e said it is a 572!!! IF you can't get 1000hp out of a 572 with just plain GOOD parts, off the shelf stuff and a 14-71 and chiller, throw away your torque wrench. That said, the less you are willing to settle for, hp wise , the less it's going to cost in good parts, and maint.
Actually he said 472!!! :D :D
Wannabe is right, a TRUE 1000 HP in a "driver friendly RPM range" is not that easy...

fc-pilot
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
We will forgive you for the 572 thing. ;) I kind of got the feeling he was referring to making it naturally aspirated, and I think Wannabe did too. Now if you are talking about putting a blower on something, I would not know the first thing about that. Then again, I never needed to use a blower.:D :D
Paul

WannabeRacing
02-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow, I must be blind.
It looked to me like he said 472. I checked again and it still said that. Checked one more time just now and it still says 472.
It also said he wanted the 1000 horsepower range. He also said 'thinking about blower or staying with tunner ram'. He or she actually worded it thinking about "sticking to natural." Assuming naturally aspirated as he stated it in the first line.
So, I will reword to make it more clear.
1000 horsepower naturally aspirated with 472ci. Tough. 572 cubic inch. Still tough for an engine that needs longevity. But much easier.
1000 can be reached with unwise amounts of nitrous, blower or turbos. Still a little tough with 472. 572 is a little easier.
Whatever you do, good luck with it.
Either way, no need to get up in arms over anything.
it's just my opinion. Just ask my wife what my opinion is worth. She will agree with you.

Blown 472
02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Way to help there blown, you being the engine build god and all. :rolleyes:
Anyhow:
It depends on WAY too much to pop you a number flatrookie.
For starters, what RPM do you want this 1000 HP at?
HP is a calculated number, derived from measured torque crossed with RPM.
That means 1,000 HP at 5,000 RPM is NOT the same as 1,000 HP at 7,000 RPM. The lower RPM HP takes much more torque to produce.
What RPM range you want to use really defines the cam profile, and the intake system requirements.
IMO, you are not going to get 1,000 HP NA.
Yea, I know, somewhere, some magazine has done it on 470 cubes and I didn't get the issue, but it's going to be a 7-grand engine, and is going to surprise me a lot if it isn't (or damn close to 7-grand).
1,000 HP with a lot better ease of driving will be a simpler thing to do blown.
Problem is this;
Bigger blower will make pressure with less heat added, which reduces power.
Smaller blower costs less, but you have to work harder to make the same muscle.
The smaller the blower, the more pressure you need, the more you need an intercooler, add dollars.
You can PM me or post here, your discression, if you want, we can colaborate on an engine modeling program I have a copy of. It could help settle in a direction and ideas to ballpark you in.
Good luck to ya rookie. :)
And the great keyboard tuner has piped in.

Beer-30
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
V8TV did a tour at Rods by Troy. They were building a 1/4 mile machine that had a normally aspirated, injected motor. I believe they said it was rated at 1400HP - prior to nitrous. I believe Reher-Morrison is constantly in the 1800-2000 category, normally aspirated.

WannabeRacing
02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I have lots of N/A 1/4 mile engines that make 1000+.
http://www.wannaberacing.com/wrepigs.jpg
But what a drag engine is and what you would want in a boat to cruise around the lake are not the same. You would not want .900+ lift, 360 psi on the seat,running over 8000 rpms on the lake. Maybe if it was a drag boat. But these drag engines will not want to run for 100 hours before a rebuild.
Also, take a quick spin around ReherMorrisons site and look at numbers.

Blown 472
02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
But what a drag engine is and what you would want in a boat to cruise around the lake are not the same. You would not want .900+ lift, 360 psi on the seat,running over 8000 rpms on the lake. Maybe if it was a drag boat. But these drag engines will not want to run for 100 hours before a rebuild.
Well hot damn are those purdy:jawdrop:

BIGCHRIS
02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Nice collection of toys there Wannebe:D

flatrookie
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
hey thank you for all of your guy's help and info. I am going to pull it apart this sat and see if the cylinders can be honed and just install new rings and keep it n/a . or if it needs to be bored I am going to make it a blower motor for sure. I am thinking 14-71 on alcohol. I am thinking bds or kobleco. you guys have any rec ? or info hit me up :)

SmokinLowriderSS
02-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Definitely nice hardware, :) :) but yep. not for a fun-at-the-lake boat.

stix818
02-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I'll take one of those and one of those!!!:D
flatrookie, what exactly are you trying to accomplish besides making 1000HP?? What's this going in?? I'm just curious!!!

gn7
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I have got to get my eyes check, thought I saw zoomies on a N/A engine in the avaitar too.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Yep, you saw zoomies with the tunnel ram, your eyes are just fine. :D

flatrookie
02-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll take one of those and one of those!!!:D
flatrookie, what exactly are you trying to accomplish besides making 1000HP?? What's this going in?? I'm just curious!!!
I have an issue with my current motor and do not know ANYTHING about blower motors and I am thinking of the poss of building one if I need to do some major repairs on my current one. so I am just trying to get some info and ideas for research since I do not kow shit about them or how to set one up that will stay together.

flatrookie
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I have got to get my eyes check, thought I saw zoomies on a N/A engine in the avaitar too.
what is wrong with zoomies on a n/a motor ?

DEL51
02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
what is wrong with zoomies on a n/a motor ?
Nothing is wrong. The guy was probably thinking about the power lost by not running headers.

WannabeRacing
02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
You lose power on the dyno by not running collectors with any engine. Especailly a naturally aspirated one.
However, I have had discussions with crewchiefs on pro gas flats and pro gas hydros, and the like, where they would state that if the zoomies were tall enough, and laid back enough, the flow of air around them would help pull the exhaust out of the pipe at high mph. They stated to me that the MPH was much closer than the difference on the dyno.
I don't have numbers for this, just what they told me. So maybe the right zoomies on an open air, high mph deal may not be as bad as the dyno shows. But you do lose hp.

stix818
02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
flatrookie what type of boat are you running this in??
We ran zoomies on our PGF and it ran well with a tranny. We had some made by rewarder which like wannaberacing mention were laid back with devices attaced to divert airflow across the opening of the zoomie I'm sure this could be a topic in itself for discussion!!!

Fiat48
02-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Its more about tuned intake and exhaust length's. You will see quite a few N/A injected motors running zoomies. Generally tunnel ram motors run headers and collectors. Blown motors just dont give a shit.

steve d
02-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Its more about tuned intake and exhaust length's. You will see quite a few N/A injected motors running zoomies. Generally tunnel ram motors run headers and collectors. Blown motors just dont give a shit.
Heard this more than once!

flatrookie
02-24-2007, 08:06 PM
flatrookie what type of boat are you running this in??
We ran zoomies on our PGF and it ran well with a tranny. We had some made by rewarder which like wannaberacing mention were laid back with devices attaced to divert airflow across the opening of the zoomie I'm sure this could be a topic in itself for discussion!!!
it is a flat bottom eliminator