PDA

View Full Version : Heat Treated steel vs. stainless props

Schiada Time
02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm getting ready to make that big purchase for a propeller and was wondering what everyone's opinions are. I have a '22 Schiada and need to purchase a 12x15 3-blade and am thinking of going with a heat treated steel prop. Stainless is nice but I have heard of some stainless propellers braking although I am only running 502 HP. What are the advantages to stainless besides no rust and workability. I can't really afford to pony up $935 at Menkens for a stainless 3 blade. What are everyone's thoughts on going the heat treated steel route? I have been talking with Ron Braaksma and he builds heat treated steel 3 blades and has set up quite a few Schiada's and knows what they like in terms of lift etc. I'm not saying Menkens does not know his stuff its just that the price is too steep for me right now and I can't wait 2 months for a propeller. Wilkes is suppose to be getting some SS 3 blades in from a Stellings mold but its been a while and they still have not arrived. I don't want to make a rash decision with some thing this crucial to the performance of my boat and wallet but I need to get out for more testing and the 10-7/8X15 I have is way too small. opinions needed.

VDRIVERACING
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Unless you're planning on pulling it off after every outing and storing it in a WD-40 wrag, go with the SS. Strength should not be an issue.
Just as you would have a machinist inspect an internal engine part before installation, I suggest you have someone like Wilmington propellor examine it for balance and blade consistency before you take it out. Some brands are pretty good out of the box, others may need work. Its cheap, and you'll know what you "really" have....
Maybe you can have Ron massage your current prop for the short term.

flattie
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Give Tom Bentley a call He will set you straight 503 885 0531

superdave013
02-21-2007, 04:05 PM
grasshopper, it's the same as that stainless impeller all done up by Jack at MPD.
Sometimes ya have to buck up once to get the right part.
Now after that sting is gone you will see a thread pop up "looking for a cheep v drive daycruiser" and think to yourself "yeah right". :)
I will say knowing you, your boat and how you plan to use it I'd go with a stainless deal.

Schiada Time
02-21-2007, 04:51 PM
What if the only guy building stainless is a forever wait and I need to buy a prop. I don't necessarily mind the heat treated steel with that coating we discussed at your shop but I don't have time right now to wait for Menkens to build the prop. I could step up a little more on price as I have $800 saved right now and its only another 150 for SS Menkens but the time factor is killing me. I am more frustrated with all the information I am taking in as Lee and Braaksma told me 12x15, Wilmington Propeller told me 12x15, Tom Bentley at Menkens V-drives told me 11.5X16 and Dallas at Menkens told me 11-3/4X15.5. I dont know who to listen to and where to put my $$$ i have also been told that in higher pitches the Schiadas like to tail lift but that was usually only with big HP. I am pretty confident I want to stick with a brand new prop it is just making the decision on who to go with and what size. Everyone promises the "exchange program" or making me happy if we don't nail it the first time so I guess I can't really lose. All opionins/responses are appreciated.

VDRIVERACING
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I do not know all of those vendors listed, but I can tell you Wilmington are stand up guys and have been in business like 40 years and work on some of the most expensive commercial props in the world. They also have machines to provide precise measurements and printouts on each blade. No matter who I buy props from, I always have Wilmington check them before I even bolt them on.
Ron Braaksma is also reliable and knows his stuff.
One thing I like about these outfits, is they stand behind their products and are easy to get ahold of. Whoever you choose, a key consideration should be your proximitey to them, since you'll probably want to have them service or modify the prop at some future point in time...

superdave013
02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
well Travis, I think that you might see a difference between those if you were looking for all out performance. You know, trying to eek out that last little bit.
But you are building a lower horsepower family boat / ski - tube tug. That's why I think a stainless would be a good choice. You won't fling the blades off it and I don't think you'll be going in and out of the water at 100+ (that re-entry is hard on stuff). I don't think you'll go wrong in a performance stand point no matter who you use. Even those ship guys. lol
Props are like voodo for those of us that just kinda understand them (meaing we don't really know shit, just think we do). So I can see why it's hard to part with that hard earned scratch.
So with that said, who ya gonna go with? :D

79 Howard
02-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Every prop is different and every one out of the same mold will do something different to your set and performance. I have a couple of heat treated and no doubt the maintenence is a pain in the kazoo, there is nothing like pulling the boat out at the launch and either spraying the prop with wd as the water drips all over you or pulling it as soon as possible and spray it to keep the rust off of it and still have the darn thing look like crap in a season. I respect all the people who are giving you info on what prop to purchase but for me s.s. is the only way for me. there are many different pitch,rake diameter ,h.p. equations to get it right the first time so I would just buy the 12/15 that you have the best feeling for and run it see how your boat sets with a buddy next to you taking pictures and then exchange till you get it right. Good luck and hopefully in a couple of seasons you'll have it

bigheavyd2
02-22-2007, 05:15 AM
There are a lot 3 blades for sale on ebay and Ron Hill has a lot for sale on ebay?? Ron has a web site to!!!!!!!!!!!