PDA

View Full Version : Buddy with the boat bug.

Biglue
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
I have a friend who has recently been hit with the boat bug. He is looking into buying a boat and decided he wants to buy a boat.
My advice to him was to start inexpensive so he doesn't go all out and over spend on a boat he may get bored with. What other advice would you offer your friend in the same situation? What are some production boats anyone would really recommend to stay away from......besides Bayliner? (for the smart asses) :D
He wants to be able to tow a wake boarder or skier and just troll around. I have recommended the nicer of the production boats like Sea Ray, Crownline, and Chapparal. What else gang?
Thanks in advance.
Louie.

Flashover
01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a friend who has recently been hit with the boat bug. He is looking into buying a boat and decided he wants to buy a boat.
My advice to him was to start inexpensive so he doesn't go all out and over spend on a boat he may get bored with. What other advice would you offer your friend in the same situation? What are some production boats anyone would really recommend to stay away from......besides Bayliner? (for the smart asses) :D
He wants to be able to tow a wake boarder or skier and just troll around. I have recommended the nicer of the production boats like Sea Ray, Crownline, and Chapparal. What else gang?
Thanks in advance.
Louie.
Rinker and Rienell make real good boats for the first timer.. :crossx:

LAFD
how bout a southwind jetboat :crossx: . pull my buddy wakeboardin all the time.

jackpunx
I have a stoker for sale

LAFD
01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a stoker for sale
you arent sellin your stoker are you mark?cuz youd be crazy to if you were.

NOTALENT
01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a stoker for sale
your selling it??? :jawdrop:

ULTRA28
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Buy used to start out. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of used boats available in the next three weeks. Some only one year old. I know we have at least five coming in here. I'm sure everybody will be taking in lots of trades in the next few weeks.

jackpunx
01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
We have two of them.. the one that is for sale is the 20' with the 2.5 on it..
seats 6
clean clean gel coat.. very fast and reliable..
and it comes with magazine spreads of its win as #22 in the parker 300 for its first and only race..
but.. everything is for sale at the right price..
So .. If you know someone who can handle big power and has a wallet to kick it with..
My other boat is for sale too or trade for plane :)

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Tell him first off to stay away from the production boats. Remember he is your buddy and you are going to have to be seen with him. LOL
Seriously though, I had a guy in the office trying to go the same route, till I showed him a used Ultra open bow. More horse power, better feel, better finishing all around. I am not a big Ultra fan but it fit this guys needs perfectly. Now he does not have a boat that looks like everyone else's at the lake.

lucky
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks in advance.
Louie.
with that advice , he calls you a friend ???? lol
hell - is he in the market for a dodge ? lmao

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
hell - is he in the market for a dodge ? lmao
Allright there buddy! Easy!!!!

Biglue
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Tell him first off to stay away from the production boats. Remember he is your buddy and you are going to have to be seen with him. LOL
Seriously though, I had a guy in the office trying to go the same route, till I showed him a used Ultra open bow. More horse power, better feel, better finishing all around. I am not a big Ultra fan but it fit this guys needs perfectly. Now he does not have a boat that looks like everyone else's at the lake.
He originally said he would like to spend under a certain amount. Then he went to the boat show and came back with nothing but Sea Ray questions. The other limiting factor is that I believe he wants to tow with his motorhome. Its not a whole lot of towing cap on that thing.

tgotch
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Tell him to make a budget for gas, food, beer, etc. Then add about 50% more to that, cause he WILL spend more on boating than he originally thought

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
He originally said he would like to spend under a certain amount. Then he went to the boat show and came back with nothing but Sea Ray questions. The other limiting factor is that I believe he wants to tow with his motorhome. Its not a whole lot of towing cap on that thing.
He should have no problem towing a 21 foot boat with a beat up(if it is) motor home. My boat loaded with fuel weighs 3300 pounds. Get him away from the production boats. Line up a test drive with a production boat and a used custom boat and he will buy the custom, hands down.

Badger301
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
I would say this...If he has never boated or has limited experience then maybe do the following.
1. Get one thats big enough that they wont outgrow it soon.
2. Get the most power he can afford. (Helps in resale too)
3. Buy used, if they dont like it they can sell it without a big loss.
4. If he's never had one why not try renting one on vacation first.
5. Be honest with him on what it cost to have a boat. Gas, Props, Annual Service, Storage...you know the stuff nobody told you about.
6. Go out with them a couple of times to make sure they have a good time.
I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 12:52 PM
hell - is he in the market for a dodge ? lmao :D :D :D :D :D

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
I would say this...If he has never boated or has limited experience then maybe do the following.
1. Get one thats big enough that they wont outgrow it soon.
2. Get the most power he can afford. (Helps in resale too)
3. Buy used, if they dont like it they can sell it without a big loss.
4. If he's never had one why not try renting one on vacation first.
5. Be honest with him on what it cost to have a boat. Gas, Props, Annual Service, Storage...you know the stuff nobody told you about.
6. Go out with them a couple of times to make sure they have a good time.
I'm sure there are more I'm missing.
I agree with this as well.
Most importantly ask him his intended use. This is where I fell in a trap and ended up getting a bigger boat. Family grew by two at one time, needs changed in terms of being able to bring family and friends out. Does he want to do 65 or 80mph? Does he want a nice gel coat? Once he starts going out his needs are going to change. The best advice I have ever been giving and it helped me a lot was to go out with some friends for the entire summer and riding and driving all the different types of boats. This help me narrow down what I did and did not like. it is easy to say "this is all I want to spend" while at the boat show. But once you are on the water it is totally different.

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
He should have no problem towing a 21 foot boat with a beat up(if it is) motor home. My boat loaded with fuel weighs 3300 pounds. Get him away from the production boats. Line up a test drive with a production boat and a used custom boat and he will buy the custom, hands down.where do u store your gear at. i know all those shripming net are heavy and take up space....just curious

Badger301
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
where do u store your gear at. i know all those shripming net are heavy and take up space....just curious
LMAO!!!!!!!!

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
where do u store your gear at. i know all those shripming net are heavy and take up space....just curious
Actually I use Kevlar. It is not cheap but very light. They are very easy to clean, because the lakes I boat at are filled with oil, so I need to be able to clean them quickly.

LAFD
01-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Actually I use Kevlar. It is not cheap but very light. They are very easy to clean, because the lakes I boat at are filled with oil, so I need to be able to clean them quickly.
:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 01:05 PM
right....................we wouldnt have oil if those fucin roll bar boats would not ride around with there ballest tanks..........ok let the oil jokes begin

dicudmore
01-31-2006, 01:05 PM
My first "new" boat was an 18' Stingray with the 3.0. It was probably honestly the best boat I've owned (I'm on my 5th)
We put 300 hours on it in 2 seasons...skied great, wakeboard good, tube great. Was AWESOME out of the hole for pulling skiers, little light on the top end 45-50 max. Ran ALL WEEKEND on 20-gallon tank of fuel too :cool:
Had seating for 7 and would still pull up a single skier with 5-6 on board.
With that said if he's capable of spending 50K I know where there is a bitchin' used boat for sale...Stars/stripes graphics...call 619-443-1100 for details :cool:

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
right....................we wouldnt have oil if those fucin roll bar boats would not ride around with there ballest tanks..........ok let the oil jokes begin
This does not make sense I think you forgot a couple of words. And I agree I hate the guys that drive around with their ballast tanks full. The only time they should be filled is when the are towing. Now a days it does not take much to fill and empty them.

Acommanderguy
01-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Well if he is looking for a runabout or a roll bar boat drop me a PM.

Acommanderguy
01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Cole alot of the time those guys ride around with the ballast full, because the ride sucks on the v-drives or direct drives. I mean even the newer designed deep vee v-drives have the same issue. So they try and make the boat as heavy as they can so it will ride smoother. I know it sucks for everyone else, but most of the time there is a point in riding around with the ballast full

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Cole alot of the time those guys ride around with the ballast full, because the ride sucks on the v-drives or direct drives. I mean even the newer designed deep vee v-drives have the same issue. So they try and make the boat as heavy as they can so it will ride smoother. I know it sucks for everyone else, but most of the time there is a point in riding around with the ballast full
OK. Thanks for the heads up. So what you are saying that a deep V boat at running speed vs. a boat with ballast in it running the same speed will produce a smaller wake?? Yea, this makes sense to me. LOL

Acommanderguy
01-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok let me spell it out for you real slow. There is ZERO trim on a v-drive boat got it? So when you fill the ballast tank up it makes the boat heavy and is suppose to give a smoother ride for the people inside the boat when it is choppy. I wasn't comparing a regular deep vee boat. I stating that the New DEEP VEE wakeboard Boats That HAPPEN to be V-DRIVE do not have trim. so they fill the ballast tank up to compansate for no trim mainly when the water is rough. Also do you really think 700-1000lbs is really going to make a big wake when a boat is 45MPH? Cant be any bigger then a 25 foot deep-vee custom built boat.

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok let me spell it out for you real slow. There is ZERO trim on a v-drive boat got it? So when you fill the ballast tank up it makes the boat heavy and is suppose to give a smoother ride for the people inside the boat when it is choppy. I wasn't comparing a regular deep vee boat. I stating that the New DEEP VEE wakeboard Boats That HAPPEN to be V-DRIVE do not have trim. so they fill the ballast tank up to compansate for no trim mainly when the water is rough. Also do you really think 700-1000lbs is really going to make a big wake when a boat is 45MPH? Cant be any bigger then a 25 foot deep-vee custom built boat.
Excatly. So to bring this full circle. 460 was complaining about them driving around with thier tanks full, when realistically it does not make any difference wether they are full or not. I can see if they are cruising around at 20 MPH then yea, any boat is going to make a big wake.

Jyruiz
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
I suggest my Crownline.

Rattle Can Lou
01-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Number one rule when buying first boat. Do not, I repeat, Do not, buy a boat that is under horse powered. This will cause you to sell a boat quicker than anything. Your first boat always seems to have plenty till you try to pull Ol' Uncle Dickwad on a single ski and you happen to drown him instead of get him up. Or there is the scenario where your son invites Henry P. Proskier that lives down the street and he tells your kid that your boat is a puss bucket. Or better yet, upon the second invite the punk tells your son that he would rather ski behind his ex-mother-in-law's 85 horse outboard. Take the bigger motor over the flashy gelcoat. RCL

Acommanderguy
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Which brings me to the point I was making. The reason why they ride around with them full is to make the boat heavier and keep it in the water for a smoother ride. Since they do not have trim and when the tanks arent full the boats bounce around like a SOB. Damn near hurt the kidneys. So to make it smoother fill it up and cut through the chop.. Thats the point.

Cole1313
01-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Which brings me to the point I was making. The reason why they ride around with them full is to make the boat heavier and keep it in the water for a smoother ride. Since they do not have trim and when the tanks arent full the boats bounce around like a SOB. Damn near hurt the kidneys. So to make it smoother fill it up and cut through the chop.. Thats the point.
People really give them a bad name. I guess if you are boating on Havasu and Castaic you would feel that you need a deep v to fight those oceans. To each thier own, I've always said.

Acommanderguy
01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
At one point I personally felt they were on to something when they started using the bennet trim tap. I rode a sanger 23 that had a modified tap that was 12inchs and it made a nice wake without the tanks and it also allowed the boat to be trimmed out. Now they have this new stuff like the switch blade that looks like a whales tale. no need for ballast. We have Chad reeds boat in the Centurion booth this year with it. It makes an insane wake, but some of these guys want more and more, and at some point you go when is it enough?

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
I suggest my Crownline.
Actually I have Jy. He has yet to let me know his thoughts.

Jyruiz
01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Actually I have Jy. He has yet to let me know his thoughts.
Bring him over and let him see it, and tell him Crownlines are rated better than SeaRays.

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
He should have no problem towing a 21 foot boat with a beat up(if it is) motor home. My boat loaded with fuel weighs 3300 pounds. Get him away from the production boats. Line up a test drive with a production boat and a used custom boat and he will buy the custom, hands down.
Actually it's a brand new motorhome he just bought. The towing cap is not much. It's something like 5K. A mid twenties on a trailer will take up all the towing capacity.

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Bring him over and let him see it, and tell him Crownlines are rated better than SeaRays.
Did you bring that one home or is it in Havasu? I just talked to him last night. He literally called me as I was walking int he parking structure as I was leaving the boat show Saturday to invite me there with him. It's that new a thought. I'm sure he will do his homework. I'll make sure he knows about your boat though.

Devilman
01-31-2006, 02:43 PM
How good of friends are you with this guy? :cool:

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
How good of friends are you with this guy? :cool:
Pretty good, known each other ever since HS.

Devilman
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Pretty good, known each other ever since HS.
So your prolly looking to stay friendly with him. You know, go boating together, shit like that....

Jyruiz
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Did you bring that one home or is it in Havasu? I just talked to him last night. He literally called me as I was walking int he parking structure as I was leaving the boat show Saturday to invite me there with him. It's that new a thought. I'm sure he will do his homework. I'll make sure he knows about your boat though.
Yup, it is home here with me and has a warranty till 2011, I can e-mail you the details if you want.

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Yup, it is home here with me and has a warranty till 2011, I can e-mail you the details if you want.
Sure why don't you do that. I forward it onto him.

Biglue
01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
So your prolly looking to stay friendly with him. You know, go boating together, shit like that....
Sure, why do you ask?

Devilman
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Sure, why do you ask?
Word around the campfire is C... Ah hell with it, why start the madness....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812rofl3.gif http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812rofl3.gif I guess the real question is what kind of fenders does he want on his trailer....:D

Biglue
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Word around the campfire is C... Ah hell with it, why start the madness....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812rofl3.gif http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812rofl3.gif I guess the real question is what kind of fenders does he want on his trailer....:D
You mf'r. I can't believe I didn't see that coming. LMAO.
Well I want to remain friends with this guys though. :crossx:

Devilman
01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
LOL, it had to be done. Now the thread can carry on in peace....:D
See ya later Lue. I'm outta here. If shit don't get too hectic later, I may holler at ya...

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
aww hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

tamalewagon
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Gee Lue...I might have a boat for sale...focko. :rolleyes: :D

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
does it come with a case of beer..................................

tamalewagon
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
does it come with a case of beer..................................
Didn't you get it? Mailman must of drank it! =)

460 jus getn it
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Didn't you get it? Mailman must of drank it! =)she dont like beer..............next

Biglue
01-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Please refer to post page 2, post 46.....second sentence. :D

tamalewagon
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
she dont like beer..............next
Aliens! Lots of aliens!

tamalewagon
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Please refer to post page 2, post 46.....second sentence. :D
Sorry brother...that one went right the hell over my head... :confused:

Biglue
01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Sorry brother...that one went right the hell over my head... :confused:
Go see the post I replied with.
Some reminded me to offer him C....3's boat and I replied that I wanted to remain friends with him.....meaning I didn't want to sell my friend what one would call a faulty boat in fun. Same would apply to your boat.......in fun. :D
Geesssos. Friking amatures. :rolleyes: :)

tamalewagon
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Go see the post I replied with.
Some reminded me to offer him C....3's boat and I replied that I wanted to remain friends with him.....meaning I didn't want to sell my friend what one would call a faulty boat in fun. Same would apply to your boat.......in fun. :D
Geesssos. Friking amatures. :rolleyes: :)
oh...focker.
:D :D :D

acatitude
01-31-2006, 06:25 PM
[QUOTE=Biglue
Thanks in advance.
Louie.[/QUOTE]
my advice for him would be to give me 85k for my ski towing, wakeboard pulling little grocery getter , that way when he gets tired of that shit, he will be ready to put more gas in it.