PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains this weekend?

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey guys i'm going up to big bear this Saturday and its supposed to snow Thursday into Friday. Do you guys think i'll need to buy some chains? If so where can I get them?
Thanks!
David :)

JB in so cal
02-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey guys i'm going up to big bear this Saturday and its supposed to snow Thursday into Friday. Do you guys think i'll need to buy some chains? If so where can I get them?
Thanks!
the local mountain roads have VERY icy patches; sometimes right next to slushy melted places - mostly due to the topography of the roads.
Best bet - whether you have 4x4 or not is to carry them - if you don't use them, just return em...

Phat Matt
02-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Unless you have a 4x4 with snow tires you will have to use chains if it is supposed to snow like the forecast.

Havasu1986
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=XtrmWakeborder;2404376]Hey guys i'm going up to big bear this Saturday and its supposed to snow Thursday into Friday. Do you guys think i'll need to buy some chains? If so where can I get them?
Thanks!
David :)[/QUOTe
Pep Boys.. What size tires ..I have a extra set from my 03 Tahoe 17"

pebo
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Just check here before you head up. http://www.bearmountain.com/bearmountain_snowreport.php#roads
But it's always a good idea to carry chains in the winter.:D

anxious
02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
haha I lived in So Cal my whole life with a cabin in Wrightwood. I remember countless times going up for the weekend and CHP checking for 4WD or chains with about an inch on the ground and all Hell breaks loose.
It was quite a culture shock moving to Colorado Springs. There could be 2 feet snow falling, and nobody cares.
I sure do miss "Storm Watch 2007.......watch Mega Doppler 7000 in HDTV" :D

Riomouse911
02-21-2007, 08:47 PM
If your tire size allows, get a set of cables. They're cheaper, easier to store, and work OK when you need them.
HINT:
If you get new chains or cables, put them on (and adjust them if needed) once BEFORE you go to ensure they fit. It sure makes lying in the slushy crap easier while slapping them on when you dont have to dink around with them with freezing fingers or in the dark.

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=XtrmWakeborder;2404376]Hey guys i'm going up to big bear this Saturday and its supposed to snow Thursday into Friday. Do you guys think i'll need to buy some chains? If so where can I get them?
Thanks!
David :)[/QUOTe
Pep Boys.. What size tires ..I have a extra set from my 03 Tahoe 17"
Thanks, but i'm talking the girlfriends saturn. Less gas money, and a newer car. Id rather take the suburban, but buying chains for my dads truck sucks more than my girlfriends car. Do they usually make you put on chains the day it snows, or a couple days after also?

Phat Matt
02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu1986;2404399]
Thanks, but i'm talking the girlfriends saturn. Less gas money, and a newer car. Id rather take the suburban, but buying chains for my dads truck sucks more than my girlfriends car. Do they usually make you put on chains the day it snows, or a couple days after also?
Usually it is cleaned up a couple of days after. Actually, it's usually melted by then. :)
Go to Walmart and pick them up. Should be cheap for the car and yes the cables are easier.

djunkie
02-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Just to let you know that even if you don't need them it is the law that you have to carry them. Cheaper to buy them and not need them than chance getting caught not carrying them with you.

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Just to let you know that even if you don't need them it is the law that you have to carry them. Cheaper to buy them and not need them than chance getting caught not carrying them with you.
lol really? Does the law say above 4000 feet or something? I don't know how that would work.

Baja Big Dog
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu1986;2404399]
You will no more info here without pictures of the girl friend....;)

djunkie
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
lol really? Does the law say above 4000 feet or something? I don't know how that would work.
I had a 4x4 chevy and I was on my way up there one time. The CHP had the road blocked and was making people put chains on. He asked if I had 4 wheel drive and I said yes. He said you'll be fine without the chains then. BUT........ He wanted to see my chains. Luckily I had some. He said if theres patches of snow on the side of the road you need to carry them at least. Even the dirty, nasty, been there for a month snow. Its the law.

pixilatedpussy
02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks!
We were thinking of taking the kids boardin for the day...since soccer is canceled....:confused: :confused: :confused:

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 10:43 PM
We were thinking of taking the kids boardin for the day...since soccer is canceled....:confused: :confused: :confused:
Its our first time going. I'm a river guy, so i'm hoping its worth it. I'm not to fond of cold temps. If we don't like it I guess we'll just walk aound the shops and play in the snow to make the girlfriend happy.

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I had a 4x4 chevy and I was on my way up there one time. The CHP had the road blocked and was making people put chains on. He asked if I had 4 wheel drive and I said yes. He said you'll be fine without the chains then. BUT........ He wanted to see my chains. Luckily I had some. He said if theres patches of snow on the side of the road you need to carry them at least. Even the dirty, nasty, been there for a month snow. Its the law.
Oh so its basically if theres snow in sight it's the law. Well i'm sure it will be there so I might as well. Cables it is then. Where can I get them? Just Walmart?

djunkie
02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh so its basically if theres snow in sight it's the law. Well i'm sure it will be there so I might as well. Cables it is then. Where can I get them? Just Walmart?
Most auto parts stores should carry them.
Oh and if this is your first time snowboarding than I recommend you wear pants with lots of padding in the seat. You'll thank me later. :D :D

pixilatedpussy
02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Its our first time going. I'm a river guy, so i'm hoping its worth it. I'm not to fond of cold temps. If we don't like it I guess we'll just walk aound the shops and play in the snow to make the girlfriend happy.
Its cool because it is close! But nothin compared to Mammoth.
The weather should be epic!

Phat Matt
02-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I will be up there Friday and Saturday. We are doing a live broadcast from Bear on Friday. It's a tough job. :)

pixilatedpussy
02-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I will be up there Friday and Saturday. We are doing a live broadcast from Bear on Friday. It's a tough job. :)
You bite!:mad: :( :D Tough job, but someones gotta pump the tunes..........................................til 5am!:devil: :devil: :devil:

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=XtrmWakeborder;2404542]
You will no more info here without pictures of the girl friend....;)
From last year at parker...http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/XtrmWakeborder/2006008.jpg

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Most auto parts stores should carry them.
Oh and if this is your first time snowboarding than I recommend you wear pants with lots of padding in the seat. You'll thank me later. :D :D
I plan on putting a pillow under my pants...lol is it anything like wakeboarding?

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
What station? I'll have to listen to it on the way up.

Phat Matt
02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
What station? I'll have to listen to it on the way up.
X103.9

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
X103.9
Sweet, i'll have to set it tomorrow. Its not like smooth jazz or oldies right? lol

pixilatedpussy
02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Sweet, i'll have to set it tomorrow. Its not like smooth jazz or oldies right? lol
LOL!
That station rocks! I listen everyday at work!:D

Phat Matt
It's spanish where you are and alternative in the IE. :)
www.x1039.com

Phat Matt
LOL!
That station rocks! I listen everyday at work!:D
Geza told me. :D

XtrmWakeborder
02-21-2007, 11:06 PM
It's spanish where you are and alternative in the IE. :)
www.x1039.com
I'll wait till Saturday to set it then lol

pixilatedpussy
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Geza told me. :D
Hee hee.....I cant help it!;) I dont care what the Leasure Wold customers say....:D But I have alot of the younger ones wondering what station it is.;)

Phat Matt
02-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Hee hee.....I cant help it!;) I dont care what the Leasure Wold customers say....:D But I have alot of the younger ones wondering what station it is.;)
Nice! :D

djunkie
02-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I plan on putting a pillow under my pants...lol is it anything like wakeboarding?
Not even close. Normally after someones first try at snow boarding their tailbone and wrists hurt for at least a week :eek: :eek:

XtrmWakeborder
02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Not even close. Normally after someones first try at snow boarding their tailbone and wrists hurt for at least a week :eek: :eek:
WOW sounds like i'm in for a great time.... lol why can't it be summer?

lalhc
02-22-2007, 06:46 PM
It's snowing right now in Lake Arrowhead. If the CHP set's up chain control you HAVE to have chains in your vehicle, even if you have a 4x4 or all-wheel drive. The CHP will not allow you to travel past their inspection w/out them. Since I live in Arrowhead full-time, I keep a set in both of my 4x4 vehicles. You can pick-up a set of chains or cables at any local automotive store. The Wal-Mart at the bottom of Hwy 330 (before you head up to Big Bear) also carries them.
It should be a great weekend w/Big Bear expecting up to 2' of new snow :D . My son's already planning for a snow day tomorrow so he can go boarding at Snow Valley. Travel safe and watch out for the black ice.

JetBoatRich
02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
I hit light snow on the way home tonight:)

yopengo
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
We were up there last weekend. No snow until Sunday night. Buy cables at Sport Chalet/Pep Boys/ Wal Mart. If you have them you will never need them... if you don’t have them you will definitely need them. It’s raining today it So Cal...so the snow should be great in Big Bear. :D

XtrmWakeborder
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
So what the hell 62 bucks for lift tickets? Any discounts out there?:confused:

lalhc
02-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Snow Valley is less expensive than Big Bear, but all the action is in Big Bear. I go to Snow Valley because it is only 20 minutes from Arrowhead.