PDA

View Full Version : New Wakeboard

rsr
01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Looking to get in the game - would appreciate some recommendations on a beginner to intermediate board for some larger framed fellas (+200 lbs). Brands/Sizes/board-binding combos. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

DeltaSigBoater
02-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Buying a wakeboard is no easy task, it's like buying a car without driving it. Every wakeboard has their individual pros and cons.
My advice would is to buy used, cheeper in case you realize that you dont like the board or dont like the sport in general.
Sounds like my brother and you weight about the same... with that, and I kid you not a year and 1/2 ago, he had never wakeboarded in his life, let alone gotten up on waterskis. Todate he's able to clear the wake with a few grabs, and do some surface 180s.
The board he rides is an '05 LiquidForce Substance 142 w/ '05 Sphynx Bindings, not the cheepest set up in the world, but in the long run well worth the money.
Sorta long winded but I hope this helps

wright27
02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
You can try renting a board until you find one you like. I know my local board shop will let you return the board after you buy it if you do not like it. it can be very expensive with board and bindings, it is important to get what you like. Find a shop that will let you bring it back. Just be careful not to damage the board.

Cole1313
02-02-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree with wright. Most lakes have a ship (Naci) that you can rent a couple of boards at a time and see what fits your riding style. If you do not have a style yet and are a first timer, everything is going to feel awkward. s/p

Riomouse911
02-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I work at a boat dealer with a wakeboard pro shop and I reccomend that every new rider demo a few boards and binding sets before buying. Plunking down $300.00-400.00 plus on the recommendations of magazine buyers guides sometimes works, but more often than not leads to frustration. For a 200 pounder, I suggest trying out boards no shorther than 142cm.. a 144-147 might be better, as I've found a bigger board makes it a bit easier to get up on plane when you're just starting out. Really good boards and bindings are made by widely distributed companies like Liquid Force and Hyperlite (I've never had luck with CWB, but some like them). Smaller companies like GB also have pretty good reputations for their boards. I rode DoubleUp boards for years, but stopped when my knees said enuff. Anyway, take your time, ride a variety of boards and bindings, and buy the one that you like best...

rsr
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the help so far it is much appreciated. Definitely need to demo some boards first. Thanks again.