PDA

View Full Version : ? About steering

Mr. Crusader 83
02-23-2007, 06:35 AM
The problem is it turns harder to the right then the left. Is this a common problem. I have tried adjusting the cable but with no luck. The nozzle turns the same amount in both directions but only turns harder to the right.
Is this normal?

Taylorman
02-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Are you saying that its harder to turn your wheel or are you saying the boat turns sharper to the right.
My boat, i think, turns better one way. I can't remember which way.
I have a problem with my steering wheel being harder to turn to the left than the right. Im about to change the cable.
We must be on the same wave lenght this morning. I just put up a post about steering.
Is your cable old? If so, im sure it could stand to be changed.

Mr. Crusader 83
02-23-2007, 07:18 AM
ok... sorry. My cable and rack are new. My boat turns sharper to the right then the left

Taylorman
02-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Did the new cable make a big difference? Im about to change mine. Mine is harder to steer left than right.
My boat turns sharper one way than the other. Don't remember which way. I think its right also.

Mr. Crusader 83
02-23-2007, 07:54 AM
yeah it helped alot. before the new cable and rack it has hard. new you can turn it with 1 finger.

twowheeledfish
02-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm betting that old steering cable assembly never let the nozzle move through the full range of motion before. You probably gained a few degrees of steering to the right, and never lost a bit to the left (the left motion of the steering is probably restricted at full lock by an inevitable bottoming out due to the location of the reverse gate shift linkage on that side).

Jetaholic
02-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I would think that a jet boat would turn sharper to the right than the left due to the torque of the motor. Since the crankshaft rotates clockwise, this would be towards the left of the boat, while the motor itself torques to the right.
Could this be a factor?
Of course...it could also be that since you sit on the left side of the boat that you naturally will turn sharper on the right than the left since you don't sit on that side of the boat. :D

twowheeledfish
02-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I would think that a jet boat would turn sharper to the right than the left due to the torque of the motor. Since the crankshaft rotates clockwise, this would be towards the left of the boat, while the motor itself torques to the right.
Could this be a factor?
Of course...it could also be that since you sit on the left side of the boat that you naturally will turn sharper on the right than the left since you don't sit on that side of the boat. :D
Maybe the coriolis effect is to blame??? :idea: ;) :D
Coriolis effect (kôr'ē-ō`l*s) [for G.-G. de Coriolis, a French mathematician], tendency for any moving body on or above the earth's surface, e.g., an ocean current or an artillery round, to drift sideways from its course because of the earth's rotation. In the Northern Hemisphere the deflection is to the right of the motion; in the Southern Hemisphere it is to the left. The Coriolis deflection of a body moving toward the north or south results from the fact that the earth's surface is rotating eastward at greater speed near the equator than near the poles, since a point on the equator traces out a larger circle per day than a point on another latitude nearer either pole. A body traveling toward the equator with the slower rotational speed of higher latitudes tends to fall behind or veer to the west relative to the more rapidly rotating earth below it at lower latitudes. Similarly, a body traveling toward either pole veers eastward because it retains the greater eastward rotational speed of the lower latitudes as it passes over the more slowly rotating earth closer to the pole. It is extremely important to account for the Coriolis effect when considering projectile trajectories, terrestrial wind systems, and ocean currents.

Taylorman
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Dam, ive never heard of that term before. I even took 2 semesters of astronomy in college and was totally into that class. Never took physics though.

twowheeledfish
02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
That little gem of information I picked up from an oceanography course. I never saw it once in two semesters of physics...

Taylorman
02-24-2007, 05:10 AM
Ah, the old oceanaography class. Never took that one.