PDA

View Full Version : Do you own, and your rules of wild animals around your kids:

Trailer Park Casanova
02-24-2007, 08:46 AM
At our 6 year olds school, the wildlife van pulled up, and the kids got to handle all kinds of cool wild animals.
My pea size, dim witted brain started to wander down that empty alley again:
We were launching the boat at the La Paz Sheriffs station in Parker and another couple was too.
Their little daughter had a pet Coyote on a leash standing next to the launch ramp.
Real dosile, but if the Coyote even so much as got it's paw slightly entangle'd in the leash it's vicious scary darkside came right out. Mad at the world.
Having a drink at the Hard Rocks poolside bar, met the guy that handles the tigers and lions at one of the strip hotels.
He invited the kids to feed the lion kittens with a baby bottle the next morning.
Of course we took him up.
As soon as my daughter put the bottle in the cubs mouth while holding it in her lap,, the cub collapsed, went limp nursing.
But she said it felt like the cub could have tremendous strength if it wanted too. Claws like box cutters.
We have a half bobcat - half tabby cat I keep at my ex's because of the little kids here at my home.. Nice cat, but this morning I went over to check on him and as I fed him, I reached down to pick up the water bowl, Bronco just quickly vallidated my arm to the bone. That cat has enourmous strength and a quick, wild temper if he thinks you're messin with him.
Daughters plan if a burglar enters her bedroom is to throw the cat at him.
Wife is reading a book "St James and Moe" about the guy who had his Huevos, foot, nose, eye and face chew'd off by chimps.
We saw him on Speedvision yesterday sitting in a wheelchair at a car show.
Pretty cool guy,, heart of gold.
Oh brother, no nose,, no right eye, half his face gone, right foot gone, brutal.
Do you own any and what is you policy around wild animals?
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0304/4254492_80X60.jpg

photo chick
02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Children have no business touching "real" wild animals. They are "wild" and have a complete mind of their own. It's great to have children around them, however, in order to teach them about the wild.
Even when you know a wild animal since birth and you feel you know every personality trait of the animal it can still change by a trigger as small as the food you just ate or the perfume you're wearing.
I don't have kids but if I did they'd be allowed to see the animals I work with but never touch them....except our baby bobcat...maybe. That being said, he bit me last week so maybe not!!!
Just my two cents!!! :)

blackcloud75
02-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Wife is reading a book "St James and Moe" about the guy who had his ruddabegas, foot, nose, eye and face chew'd off by chimps.
Oh brother, no nose,, no right eye, half his face gone, right foot gone, brutal.
Do you own any and what is you policy around wild animals?
St. James resides in the city I am employed with, he used to sit on his porch with all these "Save Moe" signs until his attack. Now there are no signs and he call us for our service frequently. Nice people......I am also good friends with the Officer Moe bit......he alsmost lost his entire hand from that bite

Not So Fast
02-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Animals act different around kids. I dont allow my grand kids to get around any dogs. Even ones that we know for this reason, my grand daughter (4 yr old) petted my neighbors Australian Shepard who is so passive its unbelieveable but she must have done something he didnt like and he bit her much to every ones surprise. I NEVER LET THEM GET DOWN TO THE DOGS LEVEL, one munch on the face and the child would be scarred forever, not worth it IMO. When they are bigger maybe but not when they are young. I know all the dog lovers will rebute this but it is my feelings!!! NSF

blackcloud75
02-24-2007, 10:00 AM
:(
what did they do with moe?:(
Moe was removed from West Covina right after his biting of the Officer, St. James has petitioned/lawsuit against the City and have been trying to coerce Baldwin Park to letting Moe reside there......He still resides at that special facility where St. James attack took place....
All can say is Gloria Allred(Sp?) is their representation........she's a quack!
And I am with NSF, even domesticated animals turn and I am always cautious with my kids, I was bitten in December by a dog while on a fire, requiring 13 stitches and time off of work:devil:

Rexone
02-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Wife is reading a book "St James and Moe" about the guy who had his Huevos, foot, nose, eye and face chew'd off by chimps.
St James Davis is an old customer of mine from my speedshop days in West Covina. I dunno, if that happened to me I think there'd be no mo moe. Davis always impressed me as a little on the excentric side of whatever normal is, but a genuinely nice guy just the same.

FlatStupid
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't know. But we own 3 armadillos and a racoon (charley) and short of a few toe nails missing, ain't been a problem. Oh yeah, I forgot about the tree frog. Spits stuff dammit. :jawdrop:

photo chick
02-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't know. But we own 3 armadillos and a racoon (charley) and short of a few toe nails missing, ain't been a problem. Oh yeah, I forgot about the tree frog. Spits stuff dammit. :jawdrop:
Armadillos as a pet? What are you a Texan in disguise?:D :D

Sleek-Jet
02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Animals act different around kids. I dont allow my grand kids to get around any dogs. Even ones that we know for this reason, my grand daughter (4 yr old) petted my neighbors Australian Shepard who is so passive its unbelieveable but she must have done something he didnt like and he bit her much to every ones surprise. I NEVER LET THEM GET DOWN TO THE DOGS LEVEL, one munch on the face and the child would be scarred forever, not worth it IMO. When they are bigger maybe but not when they are young. I know all the dog lovers will rebute this but it is my feelings!!! NSF
Just the opposite, I don't trust strange kids around my dog... she's very good with children, and plays with my 3 year old niece all day long and is very protective when they are together. But anyone brings a kid I don't know around, and the dog goes on a leash or in her kennel till I can size things up a bit.

Not So Fast
02-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Just the opposite, I don't trust strange kids around my dog... she's very good with children, and plays with my 3 year old niece all day long and is very protective when they are together. But anyone brings a kid I don't know around, and the dog goes on a leash or in her kennel till I can size things up a bit.
Different stokes I guess but thats the way I feel, just being cautious!! NSF

2Driver
02-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Exactly,
I can't stand when pet owners say, "ahh he's a lover he wouldn't hurt a flea" Bull$hit. You would trust your kid with an adult with 70 IQ so why with an animal with 35. I've been through the horror of a "lovable" Chesapeake Bay retriever attacking our then 2 year old. A life flight heli ride and 10 days in ICU changes your views. Lots of people came forward that had a similar experience. Sorry but I "carry" when I go to the park or any places where people like to taught their dogs let alone the pits and rotties.

bigq
02-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't trust any wild or "domesticated" animals around my family. My 6 year was bitten by a boe contrictor(sp?) that brused up her hand pretty good, good thing it stopped at the hand i thought. The good news is I have a nice pair of boots now.:D
If I can't kill I ain't goin near it. They "wild" for a reason, duh.

topless
02-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Exactly,
. Sorry but I "carry" when I go to the park or any places where people like to taught their dogs let alone the pits and rotties.what is that for us uneducated people??? Best dog I ever had was a rottie so don't go and catorize breeds. :mad: This thread is about WILD animals.

photo chick
02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
what is that for us uneducated people??? Best dog I ever had was a rottie so don't go and catorize breeds. :mad: This thread is about WILD animals.
Get him girl!!!:D :D When it comes to Rots & Pits it's the owners that give those breeds a bad name!

Misogynist
02-25-2007, 09:57 AM
:(
what did they do with moe?:(
Moe didn't attack St James... it was other chimps at the same preserve. St.James and his wife used to drive up to the preserve every weekend to visit Moe and bring him goodies. On the day of the attack they had brought a cake and many more threats than usual. It was Moe's birthday. Other than biting the police officer on the hand, Moe had never attacked anyone. Chimps being smarter than the average monkey have a social order to their existance. When they saw that Moe always got special treatment, they were angry. One of the other chimps knew how to open the gate and came around the outside of the cages and attacked St James. Not only did St James lose his "package" he lost all the fingers on his hands.He had most of his face torn off too. Then the chimp turned his attention to St James foot and BIT OFF HIS HEEL!... Can you imagine the strength of their jaws? I think his wife lost a thumb trying to get the attacking chimp away. One of the caretakers shot the chimp with a .45 and it kept biting St James. Finally the caretaker stuck the gun up to the temple of the chimp and blew his brains out, that finally stopped the attack. The other chimps that had escaped were jumping around and tugging at St James as the one alpha chimp did the biting.

Sleek-Jet
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Different stokes I guess but thats the way I feel, just being cautious!! NSF
I think we both have the same intention... you are portecting you grand kids, I'm protecting my dog.

SHOTKALLIN
02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
What if your child was attacked or mauled by one of these wild or semi wild animals? As a parent I would feel as if I failed them. Its a parent's responsibility to keep your children safe. I don't see how having a coyote as a pet or any other animal that could hurt a child(ie snakes, pit bulls, rottweilers, etc...) responsible. I used to own rottweilers before I had a daughter. When wifey was pregnant we found them a good home. Better safe than sorry is how I play it.

2Driver
02-25-2007, 11:14 AM
what is that for us uneducated people??? Best dog I ever had was a rottie so don't go and catorize breeds. :mad: This thread is about WILD animals.
Not sure where you got the “uneducated people” thing from but as far as categorizing dogs, absolutely I am. After all that is, in general, how most people pick a dog to own. It's no secret that dogs come in categories go to the AKC and look up the categories. Dogs are breed for years, some hundreds of years, to function in a specific category.
The worse behaving beagle will still have it in his blood to run like hell and chase rabbits. The worst retriever will still go after anything you throw for it. He may not bring it right back drop it and sit next to you, but it is in their blood to do what they were bred to do. Pits and Rotties weren’t bred to chase rabbits and ducks but to fight and kill.
You are right in that not all of them are "ring" fighters, but it is in their long term breeding to kill or at least fight, it's inate. Seriously, you deny this? Hopefully you are not another “ oooooh ours is just a lovable teddy bear that was able to genetically dodge 500 years of breeding. Put in the right situation, and you dont know them all, his breeding will come out just like the retriever that chases the frisbee.
Last of all they are all animals not matter the breed. Remember my kid was taken out by a retirever so you just don't know, not even the owner. But it's more likley the Beagle will chase rabbits and Rotties and pits will fight.

photo chick
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Not sure where you got the “uneducated people” thing from but as far as categorizing dogs, absolutely I am. After all that is, in general, how most people pick a dog to own. It's no secret that dogs come in categories go to the AKC and look up the categories. Dogs are breed for years, some hundreds of years, to function in a specific category.
The worse behaving beagle will still have it in his blood to run like hell and chase rabbits. The worst retriever will still go after anything you throw for it. He may not bring it right back drop it and sit next to you, but it is in their blood to do what they were bred to do. Pits and Rotties weren’t bred to chase rabbits and ducks but to fight and kill.
You are right in that not all of them are "ring" fighters, but it is in their long term breeding to kill or at least fight, it's inate. Seriously, you deny this? Hopefully you are not another “ oooooh ours is just a lovable teddy bear that was able to genetically dodge 500 years of breeding. Put in the right situation, and you dont know them all, his breeding will come out just like the retriever that chases the frisbee.
Last of all they are all animals not matter the breed. Remember my kid was taken out by a retirever so you just don't know, not even the owner. But it's more likley the Beagle will chase rabbits and Rotties and pits will fight.
You're right about the Beagles that's for sure, both of mine are hunting fools and I have never taught them that. We have tons of bunnies & squirrels luckily to keep them busy!:D :D

wsuwrhr
02-25-2007, 11:55 AM
I am in a picture next to my Mom and Aunt, petting a black bear at a wild animal park.
Unbelieveable.
I think as a child my Mom wanted to off me.
Go figure.

RiverDave
02-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Ya know I've gone round and round on the pitbull thing on these boards so many times I can hardly count. I'm not going to bother doing it again, I'll just leave it at, If your going to spout off like you know something you had better damn well make sure it's right. Your post above is seriously misleading or perhaps just uninformed.
For example did you know that the violent pitbull is the ONLY BREED of dog where by which human aggresion was breed out of them? Back in the dog fighting days they wanted the dog to kill the other dog, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCE to attack the handlers in the pit.
Learn something new everyday I guess. Your kid would be safer next to my dog then she would be with some of the people you know behind closed doors I'd wager. It could be the low IQ and UNCONDITIONAL love thing that might have something to do with that. Most serial killers are very intelligent people.. Something to think about.
Your right about Pits and Rotties being more willing to fight. Their willing to lay down their lives without blinking an eye to protect the family. Problems come in with bad owners, or in some cases a handler not being able to control the dog etc.. In some instances a dog attack could be percieved by the animal as protecting the family. Their psychology is not the same as ours, judging them by our standards of what is right or wrong isn't fair. Being that we are the more intelligent breed it's up to us to understand their "rules" / "psychology" and to keep them as dogs out of trouble by our rules regardless of breed.
RD

topless
02-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Last of all they are all animals not matter the breed. Remember my kid was taken out by a retirever so you just don't know, not even the owner. But it's more likley the Beagle will chase rabbits and Rotties and pits will fight.I wanted to know what was meant by that was for you to explain what places where people like to taught their dogs meant. Not for you to go on a rampage about how pit bulls and rotties are dangerous and should be outlawed. You my friend are the uneducated one here. rotties and Pit Bulls are about the most loyal dogs alive. Maybe not to you because they are great judges of character.

YeLLowBoaT
02-25-2007, 02:38 PM
The way I see it... all dogs can and will attack. I would not let any child near ANY DOG, until they are old enough to respect the dog.
As far as some breeds are more agressive then others, that was correct. Some breeds are generaly more agressive, just as some have better sence of smell. That does not mean that every dog of that breed will be. There are several great breeders out there that have done wonders breeding agressiveness out of breeds. On the other hand there are atleast the same number thats trying to breed it back in.
When dealing with dogs that have a tendency to be more aggressive, larger, high strung or hyper. The importance of training is of the highest importance. Sadly most ppl that own those dogs, don't have the time, knowlegde, skill or a combonation of the three to be able to control those animals.
I don't think ppl should have pit bulls, not do to the nature of the dog itself, but the nature of the owners. AS a WHOLE pit owners have shown not to be able to control thier animals.

Not So Fast
02-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Ya know I've gone round and round on the pitbull thing on these boards so many times I can hardly count. I'm not going to bother doing it again, I'll just leave it at, If your going to spout off like you know something you had better damn well make sure it's right. Your post above is seriously misleading or perhaps just uninformed.
For example did you know that the violent pitbull is the ONLY BREED of dog where by which human aggresion was breed out of them? Back in the dog fighting days they wanted the dog to kill the other dog, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCE to attack the handlers in the pit.
Learn something new everyday I guess. Your kid would be safer next to my dog then she would be with some of the people you know behind closed doors I'd wager. It could be the low IQ and UNCONDITIONAL love thing that might have something to do with that. Most serial killers are very intelligent people.. Something to think about.
Your right about Pits and Rotties being more willing to fight. Their willing to lay down their lives without blinking an eye to protect the family. Problems come in with bad owners, or in some cases a handler not being able to control the dog etc.. In some instances a dog attack could be percieved by the animal as protecting the family. Their psychology is not the same as ours, judging them by our standards of what is right or wrong isn't fair. Being that we are the more intelligent breed it's up to us to understand their "rules" / "psychology" and to keep them as dogs out of trouble by our rules regardless of breed.
RD
I've had 3 pits in my life and the last one was around when my 3 boys were very young (Like 2-6) and they terrorized her and she never ever even growled once. She would try to find a place to hide for sure and I trusted her completely, maybe as I've gotten older I've been exposed to more reports of attacks by the so called fighting breeds and I have become more protective, I dont know. What I do know is I too pick up any of my grandkids when ever ANY DOG is around them period, and never ever let them put their heads down at the dogs level, too cautious, maybe, but I would rather be safe that sorry and have a child disfigured for life because a dog was in a bad mood and its any kind of dog and YOU NEVER KNOW what they will do for sure.
Owners are mostly at fault for mean dogs, that I do agree with!!!!! NSF

MBlaster
02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Moe was removed from West Covina right after his biting of the Officer, St. James has petitioned/lawsuit against the City and have been trying to coerce Baldwin Park to letting Moe reside there......He still resides at that special facility where St. James attack took place....
Negative...I know where Moe is. Though I don't think its supposed to be public. He isn't at his old place.

ONAROLL
02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
I wanted to know what was meant by that was for you to explain what places where people like to taught their dogs meant. Not for you to go on a rampage about how pit bulls and rotties are dangerous and should be outlawed. You my friend are the uneducated one here. rotties and Pit Bulls are about the most loyal dogs alive. Maybe not to you because they are great judges of character.
Topless,
You miss, are living in a fantasy world concerning breed agressiveness, I am the "Life Flight guy", (20yrs).. I would rather put a bullet in every pit bull dog than face another child ripped to pieces, and every time somebody just like you is bawling there eyes out saying the same thing, hang out in my world this summer, cause its coming, we photo document our flights and if it didnt violate my patients rights to privacy I could stop this nonsense your slinging immediately............Vic

topless
02-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Topless,
You miss, are living in a fantasy world concerning breed agressiveness, I am the "Life Flight guy", (20yrs).. I would rather put a bullet in every pit bull dog than face another child ripped to pieces, and every time somebody just like you is bawling there eyes out saying the same thing, hang out in my world this summer, cause its coming, we photo document our flights and if it didnt violate my patients rights to privacy I could stop this nonsense your slinging immediately............VicNonsense???? Agression is bred into the dog. I personally don't and have never owned a pit bull but the best dog I ever had was a Rotweiller . As for me living in a fantasy world, I think not there are other breeds that can, will and do rip people to shreads. I personally have been bitten by a German Sheard, a Poodle, a mut and a shauzer. Should you put a bullet in them too? This thread like a stated earlier is about WILD animals so go put your bullets to good use while I live in my fantasy world liking the dogs I like.

ZBODaytona
02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Children have no business touching "real" wild animals. They are "wild" and have a complete mind of their own. It's great to have children around them, however, in order to teach them about the wild.
Even when you know a wild animal since birth and you feel you know every personality trait of the animal it can still change by a trigger as small as the food you just ate or the perfume you're wearing.
I don't have kids but if I did they'd be allowed to see the animals I work with but never touch them....except our baby bobcat...maybe. That being said, he bit me last week so maybe not!!!
Just my two cents!!! :)
I like that......when i have kids the big animals are off limits to them till they get bigger.....Not saying they won't be around them, but only in the right conditions...as in the big boys in the cage and the kids outside and out of reach, the animals and the kids. I would allow some contact if i ever have babies again (aniamals), but only to a certain point (my child would need to be a certain size and have the right attitude)...like you said even those little ones have such power.

photo chick
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I like that......when i have kids the big animals are off limits to them till they get bigger.....Not saying they won't be around them, but only in the right conditions...as in the big boys in the cage and the kids outside and out of reach, the animals and the kids. I would allow some contact if i ever have babies again (aniamals), but only to a certain point (my child would need to be a certain size and have the right attitude)...like you said even those little ones have such power.
You might want to add that your "big boys in a cage" are tigers.... Growing up in your house would be tought as a child not to get close to them...:D :D The minute Dad was gone you know I'd be down there playing with the kitties!!:devil:

ZBODaytona
02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
You might want to add that your "big boys in a cage" are tigers.... Growing up in your house would be tought as a child not to get close to them...:D :D The minute Dad was gone you know I'd be down there playing with the kitties!!:devil:
Your right..but mom will be around....Also the way i have everything set-up kids would need some keys to get in, many cages with in cages..As it will work with my family...mom will be home and if not dad will..and if not then the babysiter knows the rules and in all probability would be someone who is trained to be around our animals anyways.... of course my kids could have no intrest either...but if they do, thats why they will be able to see the big boys (tigers) but only with trained supervision and I can only hope that this time will fullfil their needs and there will be no unsupurivised visits. I know i can't prevent everything but i can try and thats what i am doing..now i might get some heat from this from some people...but the people who trained me raised kids around many more animals than i have and i learned from them on what to do and what not to do....then again i don't have any kids right now..and when i do things might be different..so i am just speaking from what might happen

RiverDave
02-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Topless,
You miss, are living in a fantasy world concerning breed agressiveness, I am the "Life Flight guy", (20yrs).. I would rather put a bullet in every pit bull dog than face another child ripped to pieces, and every time somebody just like you is bawling there eyes out saying the same thing, hang out in my world this summer, cause its coming, we photo document our flights and if it didnt violate my patients rights to privacy I could stop this nonsense your slinging immediately............Vic
So your saying all the dog attacks that you've life flighted were all from pitbulls? Be honest here in how many of those instances did you see the dog? Did you know that in almost every dog attack if they aren't 100% sure of the breed they file it under pitbull attack?
As far as your bullets.. LOL We could talk for years about this subject and even if I proved it to you that as far as breed specific statistics go they are one of the least likely to ever bite a person it wouldn't matter. You know what you know, and even if it's wrong it's right in your mind.
RD

Misogynist
02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I had a Great Dane for years. I caught the neighbor kids tormenting him once. He was so gentle he just tried to get away from them. They thought it was great fun to poke him with a stick and watch the big dope try to get away on his rope. He finally had enough and knocked them over getting away. I was laughing my butt off. He really was a boob around people, never bit anyone, but if another dog challenged him... get out of the way! If another dog was playful and friendly, so was he. He loved to play with little dogs..Probably because he knew they would never turn on him. I think the behavior of a lot of dogs is part nature and part nurture. Danes were bred for hunting and my dog loved to chase cats. He didn't know what to do with them after he cornered them or chased them up a tree... but he sure love chasing them. That was probably part my fault because I allowed him to chase them.

photo chick
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Your right..but mom will be around....Also the way i have everything set-up kids would need some keys to get in, many cages with in cages..As it will work with my family...mom will be home and if not dad will..and if not then the babysiter knows the rules and in all probability would be someone who is trained to be around our animals anyways.... of course my kids could have no intrest either...but if they do, thats why they will be able to see the big boys (tigers) but only with trained supervision and I can only hope that this time will fullfil their needs and there will be no unsupurivised visits. I know i can't prevent everything but i can try and thats what i am doing..now i might get some heat from this from some people...but the people who trained me raised kids around many more animals than i have and i learned from them on what to do and what not to do....then again i don't have any kids right now..and when i do things might be different..so i am just speaking from what might happen
I was just saying that I would've loved to grow up with tigers as the family pets... Your children will be quite fortunate!:D

ZBODaytona
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I was just saying that I would've loved to grow up with tigers as the family pets... Your children will be quite fortunate!:D
Thanks i just said what i said so i didn't get flamed.....your animal lover and you have experiance with the same type as I...so i don't really have to explain to you...
I was just doing it so others would understand my precoutions...and it pertained to the thread in me saying small children need to be ummm well watched around wild animals....

ZBODaytona
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I think that knowing a lot about the animal is the most important part of owning any animal, wild or not. Then make the decision if you can live with it, not if it can live with you.
That right there is great advise... All animals are different..not just by breed. Grouping breeds into the mixs is bad..like saying all insert race are the same..no..... animals are individuals and they all have their own traits, learning them is our duty and then doing what you said.