PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Vaccums?

beaverretriever
02-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't even want carpet in the house any longer. Most of our house is tile anyways, but for some fricken reason my wife wants a Kirby.
I know they are good, but 1500.00 for a vaccum is crazy.
We checked EBAY and there are a ton of ones that are only a yr old or so for 300.00. That may be the way to go. :D

jbone
02-24-2007, 02:45 PM
The fact that there are a ton of them on ebay for 300 should tell you something.
My Dyson works better than my friends Kirby at a 1/4 of the price.
J

Misogynist
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
I picked up a nice Kirby at a thrift store for 35.00....... works well.(for a Kirby)

mbrown2
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Kirby all the way....after having the crap along with Dyson and Oreck, have two kirby's now...and you can get them new on Ebay for 600+

FlatStupid
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Dyson!!!!!!!!!

BigDoug
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
We have a Kirby and love it !! :)

JPA
02-24-2007, 03:18 PM
We have a kirby G6 we have had for about 8 years and its really heavy,..when my wife uses it she leaves it right where she finishes!

beaverretriever
02-24-2007, 03:25 PM
We have a Dyson. I don't think it is that great, and doesn't seem any better than our Eureka we had.
To be honest the Kirbys are bitchen. The quality is unbelieavable, but that is a lot of money for a vaccum.

mbrown2
02-24-2007, 03:27 PM
We have a kirby G6 we have had for about 8 years and its really heavy,..when my wife uses it she leaves it right where she finishes!
Neutral and it rolls like a feather...:)...

little rowe boat
02-24-2007, 03:30 PM
We have a rainbow, best vacuum I have ever used. By Far. You can pick up a used one in good shape for about 600.00 to 700.00.

Trailer Park Casanova
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
We have a rainbow, best vacuum I have ever used. By Far. You can pick up a used one in good shape for about 600.00 to 700.00.
Is that the one that is water filled?
Wife swears by her Kirby,, she loves the beast. Has every attachment ever devised,, all kinds of contraptions. You could probably jump start a Buick with it.
The Dyson is easy to just slip in storage when we hit the dunes or Emerald, and does it ever draw the sand.
If I needed good sales people, I'd head-hunt Kirby sales people.
Everyone I ever met was really good.

Jbb
02-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Years ago a woman did a demo in my house with a Kirby.....The highlight was when she was showing us all the attachments ....and whipped out a hose and a spraygun and said,you can paint your car with this if you like!...:D :D
Didnt buy one...but it was quite a sales pitch...:p

Tom Brown
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
The highlight was when she was showing us all the attachments ....and whipped out a hose and a spraygun and said,you can paint your car with this if you like!...:D :D
Prolly work better for gel.

Jbb
02-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Prolly work better for gel.
All my show car work is done with the Kirby setup.....:)

CornWater
02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
We have one, the diamond edition I believe, and it works like a champ...

centerhill condor
02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I help make parts for them right here in portland tennessee. Bought mine in '92 had a new impeller installed for about $70. bargain compared to the jet boat! I really enjoy the self propelled. My new wife has a black lab and we don't have a hair problem.
a cleaning machine is only as good as the owner...if you don't use it the house is still a wreck no matter whos you bought.
the roomba appears to be a good idea but it won't do the car or ceiling fan blades, etc.
One of the few things the 1st wife didn't get...don't know why she wanted it..she only used it once in 8 years!

mrs.rvrluvr
02-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Dont know anything about Kirby's. I love my Dyson! I've sucked so much unidentifiable stuff up with my Dyson and it keeps sucking!! :eek:

Tom Brown
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
I remember moving out of my first apartment, some 20 years ago. The landlord wanted to bring people buy to see the place before I was. I said it was OK.
A few people complimented the bear skin rug in the bathroom.

SHOTKALLIN
02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
MAN THERE ARE ALOT OF BALLERS ON HERE:D
I have two panasonics. They work great. They pick up lint on the carpet. and crumbs in the kitchen. 2k for a kirby? Any of you ballers want to adopt me?

Boatcop
02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
www.HotVacuum.com
:D

RitcheyRch
02-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Love my Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner.

beaverretriever
02-24-2007, 05:04 PM
MAN THERE ARE ALOT OF BALLERS ON HERE:D
KCV....
Kirby's Custom Vaccums. Only come in orange and suck up Koolaid spills.

TRIMMIN
02-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I owned a Kirby and personally tested it against a Simplicity and it lost. I now own a Dyson and a Roomba. I only have the Roomba because we have no carpet. I don't think it is strong enough for carpet. The Dyson is a good machine and I like the fact it is bagless. I will never own a bagged machine again. I have also heard good stories about Rainbows. Kirby's have a lot of bells and whistles that get tossed in a closet.

Longtime Lurker
02-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Kirby was going door to door in the neighborhood today. They came in and did the whole sales pitch. the machine worked great, but I'm not ready to spend 1500 on a vacuum. the did offer it for a grand.

HammerDown
02-24-2007, 07:59 PM
One name...Electrolux

work2play
02-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I thought I did my homework. I bought a new Bissell. I spend more time fixing it than I do vacuuming with it. It sucks... except for when it's broke.

beaverretriever
02-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Kirby was going door to door in the neighborhood today. They came in and did the whole sales pitch. the machine worked great, but I'm not ready to spend 1500 on a vacuum. the did offer it for a grand.
Holy shit, they must have lit a fire under all the sales people today. They came by our house today as well and my gulible wife let the sales person give the talk. I was at work.
Lucky she has a Springfield XD9 that she keeps near her:devil: . I was a little worried she said that she let a sales person in without knowing them. She had a couple classmates there as well. I guess there was nothing to worry about. :idea:

hoolign
02-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I have an upright multi. It does almost everything! It does the carpets, the hardwood and even the laundry and dishes!
That's why I'm with her :D

little rowe boat
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Is that the one that is water filled?
Yes, it is filtered through water. Many,many attachments.

Longtime Lurker
02-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Holy shit, they must have lit a fire under all the sales people today. They came by our house today as well and my gulible wife let the sales person give the talk. I was at work.
Lucky she has a Springfield XD9 that she keeps near her:devil: . I was a little worried she said that she let a sales person in without knowing them. She had a couple classmates there as well. I guess there was nothing to worry about. :idea:
two girls came up to the house to give the speech. said they would be right back. One came back to drop a guy off. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Newcastle
02-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Just bought a Roomba online through costco. If I'm too lazy to pick it up at the store, I'm sure as hell too lazy to push a vacuum around.
Anybody else have a Roomba? Curious to see how well it works. If it sucks, Costco return policy is just too easy.

HavasuDreamin'
02-25-2007, 06:28 AM
The Kirby people came by my home last fall. They did not identify themselves as Kirby. They sent this young girl to the door offering free vacuuming and steam cleaning of our lower level in our home. I asked her what the catch was 3 times. 3 friggin times and she said "no catch." My wife saw this young kid rolling a Kirby in 10 min. later and said ut oh. :eek:
4 1/2 hours later, my wife through them out of our house. :devil: They started off at $1,800+ and by the time they left, were down under $1,000. They only steamed cleaned about 1/4 of the area they said they would, and I had to get after the kid who did the demonstration to do that. The worst part, is the spots came back within a couple of weeks. The generic $200 hoover type steam cleaner has worked a lot better for us.
The Kirby vacuumed well. No doubt. The steam cleaning attachments were no better than the generic steamers though. Check out consumer reports. Both the Dyson and the Kirby ranked in the middle of the pack and were the most expensive on the list. The best on the list...........drum roll please........Kenmore direct drive. Hoover Wind Tunnel was second. Both were under $300.
HD

hoolign
02-25-2007, 06:49 AM
"Welcome to the Kirby Family" :D

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 09:05 AM
One came back to drop a guy off. Needless to say, I was disappointed.
Dissapointed in the guy huh?:idea: :D

vee-driven
02-25-2007, 02:46 PM
whatever will make her cook and clean, i say get her whatever she wants.

uvindex
02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
One of my many sucky jobs in college was door-to-door Kirby salesman. They were $500 then (early 1980s). Once I rang the doorbell of a guy who had owned one before, vacuumed up a penny (destroying the unit's impeller) and was so pissed off at me he threatened to beat my skinny ass if I didn't leave.
I sold a total of ONE unit... to my parents.
Fun times! :D

Mandelon
02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Dont know anything about Kirby's. I love my Dyson! I've sucked so much unidentifiable stuff up with my Dyson and it keeps sucking!! :eek:
I love the way you talk. :D