PDA

View Full Version : Marine Oil Filters

justanotherdumbass
06-21-2002, 11:26 AM
Hey Gang:
Last night I was changing the oil in the boat and was wondering; what's the difference between an automotive oil filter and a marine oil filter? Is there any reason not to use an automotive filter? My boat's a '92 Cole Superhawk with a stock Panther Marine 330 hp 454 and an American Turbine jet. C ya'at Havasu!
- JAD

SWW
06-21-2002, 06:28 PM
MY 2 cents.= Its just the cost difference but dont take my 2 cents to the bank because I might be wrong Marine shit is alway more $$$$$ I think most of the stuff is the same as the over counter auto parts. If your motor is covered them maybe but thats a different story

AMBUSHER
06-22-2002, 09:26 AM
SAME FILTER THE BEST IS A PF35L A/C AS IT HAS A MUST BETTER FLOW AND FILTER RATE !!
THE CHEVY BOOK SAID IT SHOULD SHOW 75%LESS WEAR THAN THEIR ORTHER FILERS,7.95$ HARD TO FIND BUT WELL WORTH IT !

The Raven
06-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Oil Filters are the same Auto/Marine
but the brand is the difference.
Stay away from all "FRAMS". The top rated are [in no order] Amsoil, Purolator PURE ONE, WIX [Napa}, YES GM/ AC delco High PERF.
check out High perf. Auto Message boards and see.

boatkeeper
06-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Raven,you may be right,but i'll stick to my frams.My last tow vehicle had a 351 and 260,000 orig.miles on it before i sold it.All it ever saw was a fram filter and fresh oil every 3-6k.I drove the balls off it,and it still ran like new.

blowngas
06-26-2002, 08:12 AM
compared to the hull and motor, oil and filters are cheap---if u really want to protect your high dollor motor then consider going to the fram hp6a---there are some drawbacks--filters usually run around $16 to $18 each, the filter adapter runs around $75 and sold by fram---u will have to pull the motor to install the adapter (or use remote mount)---benefits--should be able to go all season without changing filter, will withstand 100+ lbs. oil pressure, twice the filter than a hp4---just good insurance with high $ motors

LakesOnly
06-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Don't most of us change our oil so damn often that we don't have a need for a goddamn $18 oil filter (not to mention the $75 adaptor)?
The Amsoil filters I use catch particles down to 10 microns (1/100th of a millimeter--smaller than a wave of light/humans can't even see the particle). And I run two of them (one is enough). And they meet our high volume flow demands.
And let's not get into how often we change our oil (13 quarts for me each time).
Talk about overkill. Sheez.
As poor as the construction of the commercial Fram filter's ARE, I understand that the Fram Racing filter's are an entirely different animal. And a good one. But you'd better be racing and have lot's of sponsor money.
Of all the motors that I can think of that have failed, it was a result of some eventual mechanical failure or heavy abuse by the operator/heavy load on the engine, and few filters would have made a difference.
LO

CV-23
06-27-2002, 06:40 AM
I just use MerCruiser Filters I bought off E-bay for $8 each. The Factory can't be wrong. I only put 30-40hrs a year on in PA so they get changed every Winter/far from the 100hrs recommended....Mike.

69 Elim
06-27-2002, 03:15 PM
The ski boat (read stock 350) gets K&N oil filters (because they can withstand higher oil pressure than regular Fram filters). Boats run higher rpms which is higher oil pressure and higher volume than cars. Besides, K&N oil filters from Summit is like $8. Now my blower motor gets a System 1 oil filter ($90?) and Redline oil synthetic. Hope this helps.

Thunderbutt
06-27-2002, 04:38 PM
I agree with Lakes only. Because of the amount of times we change oil ( 2 or 3 times a year) you might not need a filter, it's not like a car where your in the dirt,we don't use air cleaners on our Carb's, the only time boat motor oil gets black is from the gas passing the rings, like flooding. If you have a high oil pressure then you need a good filter. 80 lb or more. I use the Fram H-P 1 Originally posted by LakesOnly:
Don't most of us change our oil so damn often that we don't have a need for a goddamn $18 oil filter (not to mention the $75 adaptor)?
The Amsoil filters I use catch particles down to 10 microns (1/100th of a millimeter--smaller than a wave of light/humans can't even see the particle). And I run two of them (one is enough). And they meet our high volume flow demands.
And let's not get into how often we change our oil (13 quarts for me each time).
Talk about overkill. Sheez.
As poor as the construction of the commercial Fram filter's ARE, I understand that the Fram Racing filter's are an entirely different animal. And a good one. But you'd better be racing and have lot's of sponsor money.
Of all the motors that I can think of that have failed, it was a result of some eventual mechanical failure or heavy abuse by the operator/heavy load on the engine, and few filters would have made a difference.
LO

BadBoyzSkiRacer
07-04-2002, 07:33 AM
i filter my OIL thru my ladies nylons hhehehehee... keeps her legs well lubricated

HammerDown
07-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by BadBoyzSkiRacer:
i filter my OIL thru my ladies nylons hhehehehee... keeps her legs well lubricated
Thank's for giving us that most important information.

Jungle Boy
07-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by boatkeeper:
Raven,you may be right,but i'll stick to my frams.My last tow vehicle had a 351 and 260,000 orig.miles on it before i sold it.All it ever saw was a fram filter and fresh oil every 3-6k.I drove the balls off it,and it still ran like new.
Fram filters have paper ends on them and can collapse under hard use, then starve your engine on oil. I use Ford filters on my chevs as per my engine bulders request. If you cut them open, you will see the difference in quality. Cars and trucks are not driven as hard as a boat engine.

dannyUALsanger
07-08-2002, 07:36 AM
I've got a "it happened to my buddy" story.
My buddy has a 26' Pursuit (sp?) center console fishing boat with an inboard 454 BBC. We do a lot of bottom fishing and some trolling off the Atlantic coast of south Florida. About a month ago, he was out with another fishing buddy of his and they noticed lots of oily water being pumped out of the bilge. They came to find a pinhole in the oil filter where oil was shooting out when the engine was running http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif ! The saltwater had corroded the metal and one of them had to hold a cup to catch the oil and pour it back into the engine so they could make it back to shore http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif.
I think that he is going to be changing his oil and filter a lot more often now. A spare oil filter is now onboard the boat as is plenty of extra oil.