View Full Version : Transmission

v-drive
10-28-2002, 03:48 PM
So I've been restoring my 66 lavey and a lot of
people have been saying put a transmission
in it. I'm using a big block olds in it and
was wondering what thoughts people had on this
idea. the only thing I'm not interested in
hearing are the jokes about my oldsmobile.
:cool: v-drive

Rexone
10-28-2002, 04:26 PM
If this is the small older circle type Lavey I'm picturing I'd advise against a transmission. The boat's light and doesn't need it to launch it and in a small boat of this type they take up alot of space. Reverse function is marginal anyway in most v-drive boats with transmissions. just my .02.

DansBlown73Nordic
10-28-2002, 04:41 PM
I will second the reverse thing. This summer was the first time I used my Schiada much. Reverse is pretty much for going Sideways!!!!! eek! eek!

69 Elim
10-28-2002, 04:41 PM
This topic has come up several times, some are for it, some are against it. here is my 2 cents: I am for them. I have a powerglide in both of my flatbottoms. true reverse isn't too praticle. The boat just reverses in the direction of the prop - no steering and you have to watch for water coming over the back in a low profile hull (both of mine are). Neutral and 1st gear are nice to have around the docks, makes the boat WAY more managable. Also with more HP like the blower motor, allows for a higher idle RPM without the cops busting you for exceeding the 5 mph zone. As for driving, 2nd gear is the only gear, 1st is way to low - only for the docks. The powerglides are pretty small, can take some serious HP and really work out nice.
A little hard to see, but the glide is there. Still a four seater. Reverse does stop the foward momentum of the boat too.
http://free.***boat.net/hbcove/37/2/06.jpg
[ October 28, 2002, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: 69 Elim ]

DansBlown73Nordic
10-28-2002, 04:43 PM
That was funny. We both posted at the same time.......... eek! :D

Infomaniac
10-28-2002, 05:25 PM
No whirl-a-way with a tranny.

Hostile
10-28-2002, 06:01 PM
And don't forget the ever popular"parking gear"
Skeeter

GofastRacer
10-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Ok what the heck, my .02!..Tranny's in a cruiser are cool, in a flat, no way!!...... eek!

HM
10-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Ditto to 69Elim comments. 1st is really nice for things like idling through the canal at London Bridge. I only use first for idling. Reverse is good for stopping.
No parking gear in my tranny as Art Carr removed it in the marine conversion. I have a 2 speed powerglide as well.
I used to have a back-to-back bench that sat 4 adults comfortably. I got rid of the bench when I got headers.
here is a pic:
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Boat008.JPG

Highlimit9000
10-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Have a powerglide in my Daycruiser, love it...1st gear around the Marina..2nd for movin!!! not real heavy... And can handle alot of HP... dont get real hot either since no convertor.. http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Driveline_setup.JPG

GofastRacer
10-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Yep, nice to have in a cruiser!!.... :p

superdave013
10-28-2002, 09:13 PM
GofastRacer:
Ok what the heck, my .02!..Tranny's in a cruiser are cool, in a flat, no way!!...... eek! In a flat it's gotta be a Lenco!

GofastRacer
10-29-2002, 04:44 AM
Ditto!!!!!..... :cool: :cool:

DetroitJim
10-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Speaking of Lencos, I scored a 2 speed with a Lenco clutch unit in front of it. This is the one that was on Ebay a while back. It is pretty much shot, so here's my deal:
Can I get clutches and steels from a local source?
Are Lenco clutch packs unique to Lencos?
Is it possible to separate the cases and run the trans without a clutch?
What does the front of a stand alone Lenco look like? Mine has an o-ring and is drilled to mount the aluminum carrier for the clutch pack.
Any knowledge out there appreciated, I'm going to call Lenco but I'd like to be well informed first.
DJ