PDA

View Full Version : Professional Bass Fishing. I don't really get it.

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Sure, I think hunting, fishing, etc is great. It is a right we should all work hard to keep.
What I don't get is the big following of the pro bass fishing circuit. It just seems kind of boring to watch. Maybe if I was a avid bass fisherman I might find it more interesting. Pretty cool job though. I can't believe some of the money those dudes are raking in. :eek:
What are your thoughts?

JetBoatRich
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
They have cool boats:rolleyes:

Mandelon
02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
If people can watch golf..........they can watch anything.:D

JetBoatRich
02-25-2007, 07:39 PM
They Lure them in:)

eliminatedsprinter
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
They Lure them in:)
Oh, now that was reel bad....;)

beaverretriever
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
ROTFLMAO... you guys kill me.

JetBoatRich
02-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Their shirts are cool:rolleyes:

life's a river
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't like watching it on TV but it would be fun to run 80 mph to the best place, fish a little while and then haul a$$ back and get paid big $$ to do it. Does't sound like too bad of a gig to me.
LAR

shueman
02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
All ya gotta do is out-fish 'em...:D BIG BUCKS these days....

Chubby4Life
02-25-2007, 11:50 PM
A while back someone posted a spoof video of a guy who entered a tourney with a 30'+ Cat. Dude had the white trash thing going big time. Funny vid. for sure. Anybody still have that link laying around? JBB?

ratso
02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
I'd rather watch bowling than bass fishing or Nascar

Boozer
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I am an avid Bass fisherman. Last summer I dedicated roughly 5 out of 7 days a week to bass fishing. This summer I'd love to dedicate just as much time to it but it's not going to be pheasible with my work and travel schedule coming up.
Pro Bass fishing is becoming more and more popular and the payouts are getting bigger and bigger. The biggest reason why is that guys like me like to watch the pro's and learn their techniques. We also go out and spend mucho $$ buying the gear the pros use. I got into bass fishing because it was a cheap hobby to get started in, unfortunately it's not a cheap one if you intend to be any good at it and I have now invested a small fortune into my gear and plan to double up here in the next month or two.
Bass fishing is an evolving sport. The days of going out to drink a few brews with your pals and hopefully catch a few things are long gone. Prior to getting into the sport I thought fishing was as simple as putting a worm on the end of a hook and waiting for a bite. Today it is not that simple, there's technique, style, skill and a whole lot more that go into a successful fishing trip these days. Until you try it you wont understand it, but when you get that first big hit and reel in a 20"+ Bass you'll understand why it is that we do what we do. And if you want a REAL rush take at look at Tiger Musky fishing, very expensive and pretty dangerous but the fawkers are 40"+. My boat will be equipped for Tiger Musky in the next couple of weeks.

Boozer
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Double post damnit

Not So Fast
02-26-2007, 08:13 AM
I was a little in awe of the numbers of flake boats parked at Windsor a couple of weeks ago whan they had what they said was one of the biggest bass tounaments in the US (of course it's in Havasu??? are you kiddin), the parking lot was completely full, NO PLACE TO PARK seriously!!!!! You had to wear shades because you would be blinded by all the metal flake boats;) NSF

HEDJUG
02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Out here in the east, we call em Bassholes. Here's why.
For a 5# fish that hardly puts up a fight you need:
-A F-250 Super Duty with a flake paint job that matches your boat.
-A 19' purple glitter boat with 250hp 4x the electronics you really need.
-57 fishing rods
-200 lures (for this week)200 for next week.
-A helmet
-And a 100% blatent disrespect of all others on the water.
By the way, I use their bass as bait for my bass (striper)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7990rock6-med.jpg

Blacksheep
02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I was watching bits of the BASS Master Classic this weekend. Anyone happen to catch Gerald Swindle's DQ when he went flying between spectator boats on his right, and on the left angler Randy Howell and his tailing camera boat. He was probably going atleast 60 mph if not more and he was only a few feet from the boats. ESPN I believe still has the video. Not very smart or safe. $500K for a few days of fishin is not a bad days pay!!!

Nord
02-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Sure, I think hunting, fishing, etc is great. It is a right we should all work hard to keep.
What I don't get is the big following of the pro bass fishing circuit. It just seems kind of boring to watch. Maybe if I was a avid bass fisherman I might find it more interesting. Pretty cool job though. I can't believe some of the money those dudes are raking in. :eek:
What are your thoughts?
I think you just answered your question within the question. Bass fishing is a very product motivated event. The sponsors are all over the place (boat, gear, clothing, etc) I believe they pay out over a million a year and to make the BASS PRO finals, you have to be high in points which puts you at about 100k plus a year. However a lot of that money goes back into travel.
The target crowd is the fisherman of course. Its like NASCAR, I don't find anything interesting in watching guys with the biggest sponsors end up in the top 10 every week and get paid a grip by driving in circles. But I know there is a huge audience that does.
Wooh Son!
~NORD~

Baja Big Dog
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
What are your thoughts?
Do you find ice skating interesting?
do you find golf interesting?
Do you find sitting on a beach in a cove drinking beer and playing horseshoes interesting?
Point is that many folks partisapate in alot of things we may find not find interesting, but that is what makes the the world a fun place!!!

dumbandyoung
02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I was a little in awe of the numbers of flake boats parked at Windsor a couple of weeks ago whan they had what they said was one of the biggest bass tounaments in the US (of course it's in Havasu??? are you kiddin), the parking lot was completely full, NO PLACE TO PARK seriously!!!!! You had to wear shades because you would be blinded by all the metal flake boats;) NSF
haha

dumbandyoung
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Do you find ice skating interesting?
do you find golf interesting?
Do you find sitting on a beach in a cove drinking beer and playing horseshoes interesting?
Point is that many folks partisapate in alot of things we may find not find interesting, but that is what makes the the world a fun place!!!
like collecting stamps.
or having an ant farm?:D

DILLIGAF
02-26-2007, 01:52 PM
What cracks me up is they actually go out and "practice"....lol

Boozer
02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Out here in the east, we call em Bassholes. Here's why.
For a 5# fish that hardly puts up a fight you need:
-A F-250 Super Duty with a flake paint job that matches your boat.
-A 19' purple glitter boat with 250hp 4x the electronics you really need.
-57 fishing rods
-200 lures (for this week)200 for next week.
-A helmet
-And a 100% blatent disrespect of all others on the water.
By the way, I use their bass as bait for my bass (striper)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7990rock6-med.jpg
I could to Jenny Craig with a box of twinkies and f*ck any fat girl I want. But what fun is that? It's the challenge I go for, the p*ssy is just a perk.

HEDJUG
02-27-2007, 06:24 AM
I could to Jenny Craig with a box of twinkies and f*ck any fat girl I want. But what fun is that? It's the challenge I go for, the p*ssy is just a perk.
Challenge?? That aint no land locked hybrid bass or striper on a stocked man made lake. That there is an ocean going tide runner that we chase from The Chesapeake bay to the northern atlantic. For me, its no challenge to go on a 200+ acre lake & find a 5# bass that someone stocked. Now finding a striper in the bazillion acre Chesapeake, now thats work. I wont even mention the sharks & tuna we go after.
But really, the disrespect is not toward the little fish that bassholes chase around. It's directly towards the a-hole driving the boat 90mph across the school of fish I may be sitting on. Bassholes are the PWC operators of the fishing world.

Old Texan
02-27-2007, 06:47 AM
But really, the disrespect is not toward the little fish that bassholes chase around. It's directly towards the a-hole driving the boat 90mph across the school of fish I may be sitting on. Bassholes are the PWC operators of the fishing world.
Amen on that.
We were visiting relatives in MI and out on the lake, crowded weekend, boats of every sort all around, and here comes "Bubba Bass Ass" weaving through everyone at full throttle on his mission to top the lake record for big fish only to inadvertently to him, win "Jackass of the Day". Why these idiots would even think of having a tournament on a holiday weekend shows their blatant stupidity.
And talk about "Ramp Pigs", Bassholes take this to a new level.

rampgirl-top
02-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd rather watch bowling than bass fishing or Nascar
Crap I really don't understand why bowling, golf and tennis are covered on TV!! At least with fishing you see different lakes, some good looking men, and advice on what to use in case you decide to go to said lakes.
Now NASCAR just makes me dizzy....
Drag racing- The sport for people with short attention spans!!!

Kilrtoy
02-27-2007, 08:00 AM
It must be the outboards...

Forkin' Crazy
02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Challenge?? That aint no land locked hybrid bass or striper on a stocked man made lake. That there is an ocean going tide runner that we chase from The Chesapeake bay to the northern atlantic. For me, its no challenge to go on a 200+ acre lake & find a 5# bass that someone stocked. Now finding a striper in the bazillion acre Chesapeake, now thats work. I wont even mention the sharks & tuna we go after.
WTF? You have it out for the bassers or what? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
How many bassers fish on a 200 acre lake? That is stocked? A tournament on that would be a joke. Maybe you should try bass on Lake Fork, at over 27,000 acres, or maybe Toledo Bend Lake which is over 200,000 acres, or Pickwick Lake, or the many various rivers, bayous, ect.
As far as the bassholes comment, oh yea there are some. Just like there are some center console-assholes that frequent my small river. I mean come on!!! a 25' deep V with twins in a river that is about 100 yards wide???? Washing my shit up on the sand bar, or beating the shit out of me in my 20' boat.
There is a flip side of the coin if you look.http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif