PDA

View Full Version : tandem axle placement

RaysonRat
08-27-2003, 08:49 PM
okay im converting my single axle trailer to tandems but im not sure where the center pivot for the springs should be in relation to the old axle so it tows okay, im unable to place the boat on the trailer to get a tounge weight do to its state of restoration any iddea would be great thanx guys

GofastRacer
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Well here's what I did, I put the boat where it should be on the trailer, then took the tandem assembly and moved it around until I came up with a 100 lbs tongue weight, but that's with a flat!.. :rolleyes:

RaysonRat
08-27-2003, 09:06 PM
sounds like a good idea mines a flat to but i cant put it on the trailer with the motor, any got something similar to my 70 rayson craft 18ft lp with a BBC in and a tandem axle trailer that can take a measurement from tongue(where the ball goes in) to the center pivots of the springs?

H2OT PURSUIT
08-27-2003, 09:15 PM
I think, if it were me and I couldn't put the boat on the trailer, I would put the center piece
right where the single axel was. I would think that would give you about the same tongue weight you had before. Provided, of course, that it towed well before.

MikeF
08-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Everything is custom w/ custom boats wink . If you want it done right you have to do it yourself (or pay someone who will do it right smile_sp ).
I'd say do it like GofastRacer. Seems that is the right way to do it! :D

63stevens
08-27-2003, 09:43 PM
I would make it so that I could move the axles forward or back and wait unitl I got the boat back together and on the. Then I would adjust the axles to the amount of tongue weight necessary. 1 to 2 hundred pounds.

ACCEPTENCE
08-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Making a massive new trailer as we speek.
Tack weld the new hangers onto a piece of 2 x 3 angle. This way you can slide the entire unit forward and back until you got the proper tounge weight. When your done fitting you can weld the angle to the chassis or make the chassie and weld the hangers right onto the chassie.
Check out www.championtrailers.com (http://www.championtrailers.com) it will give you the lowdown on where to mount the equalizer (center) of your new axle set up.
It will be approximatly a sixty forty split.
It explains: On a ten foot box trailer the center or equalizer will be mounted at 6 feet back and four feet from the rear. This dosen't include the tounge or angled steel to the coulper. The equalizer or center hanger will be youe measurment point.
Hope it helps

RaysonRat
08-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the help everything ,that was sugested seems to be correct, going to naciamento this weekend gonna do some measuring in the parking lot. so if you see someone running around with a tape measure dont be scared it just me.