PDA

View Full Version : Counter tops. Granite, Granite Transformations, or other?

beaverretriever
02-26-2007, 07:13 PM
The wife and I are in the process of redoing the ol kitchen. The house is only 5 yrs old, but the kitchen is definitely below par except for the nice 18" tile floors. We are in the process of doing the cabinets, and changing all the appliances stainless.
We want to do the counters. We don't want to go crazy because we don't know how much longer we plan to keep this house although I'm sure it will pay for itself when we sell it. So I really don't know what to spend or how much it will cost me.
We would like to do granite but I know it is pretty expensive. I have heard good things about Granite Transformations, but it seems expensive for what it is. Would granite tile be a no, no? We want it to look good, without selling the whole farm. I don't like Corian. It looks kind of cheap to me. Any other options?
Any good granite guys in the Vegas/Henderson area.
What do most of you have?

riverroyal
02-26-2007, 07:23 PM
maybe cheaper than you think.The cost is typically by "group".Which mean the supply of the stone.Some colors are mined easy,some arent.The price from a group A,to a group C could double.There are very nice lower price granites.My opinion is no granite tile,if your getting new cabinets with new rough tops,the hard part is over.Other surfaces like silestone,ceasar stone etc are nice but not a savings that would be worth it.Often a group A granite is cheaper than other products

RaceFace
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I've got Silestone, which is basically ground up granite...non-porous so you dont need to seal it. At the time it was cheaper than granite, not sure what it is now but it is zero maintenance....thats what I like!!

OutCole'd
02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I've got Silestone, which is basically ground up granite...non-porous so you dont need to seal it. At the time it was cheaper than granite, not sure what it is now but it is zero maintenance....thats what I like!!
That Silestone stuff rocks. Looks great. There is a place in the same complex as my business that carries it, & has it on display. 215 & Decatur if your interested let me know.

riverroyal
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
has become much cheaper.Labor is down in price as well as materials.There a new product called Zodiak,my wife says its the best:D

beaverretriever
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
That Silestone stuff rocks. Looks great. There is a place in the same complex as my business that carries it, & has it on display. 215 & Decatur if your interested let me know.
Cool, thanks for the help guys.
That Silestone sounds like Granite Transformations. GT quoted us and it was more than real granite.
What kind of care is required on real granite?

Screemy1
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
that sounds good..... Granite sucks.... we have it in the bathrooms and kitchen, the crap sucks...... you have to seal it maybe once a year..... but what sucks is even when sealed..... it sucks to roll out cookies on..... have to flour the crap out of it..... it looks good, but if you use your kitchen to actually bake, cook, prepare.... it sucks..... the only beni is you can set hot crap on it with no worries...... some cut on it, that only makes you have to seal it more often......

al cole'holic
02-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I just bought pre-fab granite today for the "flipper" house, 3 8' pre-fab slabs cost me $600...this is definitely the way to go for anyone that doesn't want to buy slabs and have em fabricated! I have said it here before. The island slab is oversized for bar seating, double bullnose on all of em and they have right/left turns for every layout, very simple solution to get granite done without the hasles...oh and the wait time is none :D

RaceFace
02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
has become much cheaper.Labor is down in price as well as materials.There a new product called Zodiak,my wife says its the best:D
I think there's another equal to Silestone by another manufacturer....Caesarstone? It that the same thing? You might try that one too.

Screemy1
02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys.
That Silestone sounds like Granite Transformations. GT quoted us and it was more than real granite.
What kind of care is required on real granite?
nothing other than sealing it every so often..... not hard to do, I just prefer smooth surfaces, I miss stainless steal counters that I had working in a professional kitchen

RaceFace
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
that sounds good..... Granite sucks.... we have it in the bathrooms and kitchen, the crap sucks...... you have to seal it maybe once a year..... but what sucks is even when sealed..... it sucks to roll out cookies on..... have to flour the crap out of it..... it looks good, but if you use your kitchen to actually bake, cook, prepare.... it sucks..... the only beni is you can set hot crap on it with no worries...... some cut on it, that only makes you have to seal it more often......
Yeah, you can do the same with Silestone. I keep getting yelled at for cutting on the counter with our "good knives". She's right....they're all dull now! :rolleyes:

Screemy1
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
true true.... kill the sharpness of your knives........

riverroyal
02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
ive had it in 3 homes,never a sealing issue.If you do seal it ,it takes like 20 minutes.Use granite gold cleaner from costco,works great
ceasar stone is just like silestone,ive heard its better

Nordic35Flame
02-27-2007, 05:04 PM
I have granite transformations on my kitchen counter tops, and both upstairs bathrooms counters. That stuff kicks ass, and it half the price, stronger, and won't stain like natural granite.

OliverM5
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
My father sells quartz countertop from Italy called "Eurostone" - same material as Ceasarstone, but much nicer designs and colors. Check out the website and ask for "George" and tell him Oliver sent ya.
www.eurostone.us