PDA

View Full Version : What do outboards cost?

beaverretriever
02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Compared to a 496ho or a 525. What does a set of 225xs or 250xs run? I was just wondering. Would a set of outboards be more expensive? How about with a new boat purchase? Are they easier to install and rig to a boat than an I/O set up, keeping the overall cost of the new boat up or down?

Tom Brown
02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
What do outboards cost?
In the case of Kim Hanson, I'd say about $25K per year plus original purchase cost with 12 months of down time annually.
In the case of Sorry Dog, it would be closer to about $400. That covers his initial purchase price plus operating expenses for the first four years.

Kim Hanson
02-26-2007, 09:33 PM
In the case of Kim Hanson, I'd say about $25K per year plus original purchase cost with 12 months of down time annually.
In the case of Sorry Dog, it would be closer to about $400. That covers his initial purchase price plus operating expenses for the first four years.
What can I say, it won't stay together :( It really piss's me off the thing.........( . )( . )......:D :D

Xlration Marine
02-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Go out and find 2 3.0 merc's and send them to Simon Motorsports in Cali. 335 hp on pump fuel and a warrenty as I recall. I think it's around 8k for the rebuild. Might just need one of his motors.

BADBLOWN572
02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Compared to a 496ho or a 525. What does a set of 225xs or 250xs run? I was just wondering. Would a set of outboards be more expensive? How about with a new boat purchase? Are they easier to install and rig to a boat than an I/O set up, keeping the overall cost of the new boat up or down?
The price of a single 300x was about the same price as a 496 h.o. They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up. You will need mounting plates, full hydraulic steering, two props, etc... The rigging almost doubles. The only reason why I would ever buy and outboard over a BBC is to go long distances hauling ass. That is what they were designed for. As an every day play boat, BBC all the way. :)

Towndrunk
02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
The price of a single 300x was about the same price as a 496 h.o. They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up. You will need mounting plates, full hydraulic steering, two props, etc... The rigging almost doubles. The only reason why I would ever buy and outboard over a BBC is to go long distances hauling ass. That is what they were designed for. As an every day play boat, BBC all the way. :)
I have 3 obo's and 1 bbc. Guess which one is in pieces. Can you say BB?:idea:

Forkin' Crazy
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I hear ya TD. What do you expect out of a car guy?
So you are saying that a 496HO puts out more hp to the prop then the 300X? And with the drive is cheaper? How much that that chunk of iron weigh?
Oh and I just love standing on my head working on a car boat. :sleeping:

Forkin' Crazy
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
They are much more expensive overall. The I/O's are much easier to rig. The price of a twin engine O.B. boat is definitely going to be more expensive than other options. You will most definitely have to run twins to get the same speed and hole shot as a BBC and that bumps the price way up
No way dude!!! 600 hp (at the prop) vrs a 496 HO? LMAO!! And will have a better hole shot?
How much HP do you loose with the drive? That is two 90 degree changes. My guess is about 14% loss. The Mercs are rated at the prop. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Tom Brown
02-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I think Mercruisers are rated at the prop these days too. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Kilrtoy
02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
OH NO, what are you buying....
496 need oil changes every 20 hours.......to help keep them alive....

eliminatedsprinter
02-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess it would depend on the size of the boat. Right now Stoker has a new 20 with a 225 E-tec sitting in it's showroom for around 50k that is said to run up near 100 mph. I can't think of any big block propelled boat, of that boats speed and quality, that can be bought new for that price.
Oh O! I said somthing nice about a Stoker, now I'm in for it.:D :rolleyes: ;)

Forkin' Crazy
02-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I think Mercruisers are rated at the prop these days too. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
Really???!!!! http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
And just who's side are you on? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
;)

Tom Brown
02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
And just who's side are you on? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
I made that same point a while ago and was slapped down by a car engine advocate.
If you have to hear something like that Paul, you might as well hear it from a friend. :D
An HP 500 is rated at 470 at the prop. You loose a small persent of HP per set of gears. On a stern drive there is 2-90* gearsets. I believe all sterndrives are propshaft rated now. I'm not sure about Volvo but am about Mercruiser. The engine package HP is the rated power at the prop it's the same as the way outboards are rated.

Forkin' Crazy
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
If you have to hear something like that Paul, you might as well hear it from a friend. :D
Thanks friend!!! :D

Towndrunk
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Lets see now, My Sanger runner bottom with an eliminator cam,2 660 four bbls and 26 degree gears with 10 degree box 80-85 mph. No reverse or room for cuties and or 1 cooler.
My Allison Bass boat with Merc 2.5 245 hp with a little work in the exhaust cavity, best speed ever of 107. Cruising speed 90-95 and a max anytime of 103-105. Room for 3 cuties, 3 ice chestsextra prop tow tube. You make up your own mind. :eek:

sorry dog
03-11-2007, 01:11 PM
While not exactly true...unfortunately it's not a bad estimate.
Also unfortunately, the answer to the original question is...how much do you want to pay?