PDA

View Full Version : Im wondering about the Cavitation plate????

Dans66Stevens
03-31-2002, 01:39 AM
My 66 Stevens has the manuel adjust plate. Im just wondering what a adjustable plate would do for me? I understand it can be changed well running. What does this do for performance? I guess im wondering if its worth making the change?

pgf127rt
03-31-2002, 06:56 AM
Dan, if you mean what would an active foot operated cav plate do for you, well it gives you the ability to control the boat in most all situations, unless you are upside down, then you must pray, seriously though, it would enhance the performance and handling more than anything you could add to the boat.

Sangerboy
03-31-2002, 09:18 AM
I agree with pgf, especially if you're putting a decent amount of power to the thing. With fixed plates when they're set for top end the boat will usually porpoise and bounce like crazy at cruise and skiing speeds. Conversely when you bring the plates down to solve the bouncing problem you sacrifice many mph's on top end because to much boat is in the water. A cockpit adjustable plate system is a very good thing to spend your money on with a flatbottom. I use a locking handle with a down pedal override since my boat does not respond favorably to up pedal.

flattie
03-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah there alot of fun too if you have gobs of HP & you play around with it the thing will do a burn out just like a pro street car. A definite must have

Dans66Stevens
03-31-2002, 02:31 PM
I was just curious. I have never ridden in another V-Drive. Well thats not true I have two but both are fixed plates.
Maybe at Lake Anna I can get a ride and see the difference.

pgf127rt
03-31-2002, 04:15 PM
Dan, If I was closer I would take you for a ride in my play boat, I am old so you would be very safe.

superdave013
03-31-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by pgf127rt:
Dan, I am old so you would be very safe.
Yeah right http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif You old coot, I bet you would stand it up on end and scare the holy shit out of him out of the hole. Then I bet you would air that Hondo out on the big end and have ol Dan crying for his mommy. hehe At least I hope you would.

03-31-2002, 05:51 PM
pgf127rt, Did you ever get the specs. on that all iron 460 from your engine builder? Thanks, Bob

Dans66Stevens
03-31-2002, 06:19 PM
Im not afraid to go fast. I was running a buck 10 on a snowmobile on Friday on a lake. Of course with ICE!!!!
My boats gets hopping so bad everyone is ready to get out.

VD CRUISER
03-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Dan, I know what you're talking about, My first V-Drive was a 65 Stevens with a 427 Ford and a fixed plate. It was wild, but it hooked me for good. You will definately like an adjustable plate.

pgf127rt
03-31-2002, 07:31 PM
058, No I have been working out of town for the last 30 days and my mechanic is hard to catch up with, however I am back home and will get the spec's for you ASAP.

pgf127rt
03-31-2002, 07:36 PM
sd013, now you know us old flat jockey's would never scare a passenger, and Dan if we had to switch places I wouldn't ride with me, but that snowmachine sound's very interesting, bad thing is where I live we would have to sand drag it, I did get to ride one in Chicago when I was there, and loved it.

Dans66Stevens
03-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Im from up-state NY. Its not exactly the flattie capital of the world. Until I bought my first V-Drive I had never ever seen one before.
I have found a couple but nothing that runs.