PDA

View Full Version : Water Shortages>> My Letter To

Not So Fast
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM
This is the letter I sent to the editor of the local newspaper today!!
How can you report that story about the coming water shortages with a straight face? Yes we have been in a little drought as everybody knows but the main reason for the Colorado River coming up short is OVER POPULATION period. It just cannot meet the demands being placed on it by all of the blood sucker developers that keep building and building. And they will continue until someone stops them because they donÂ’t care, their profits are all that matters to them. So where are our politicians and civic leaders? Do they not see this problem or are their heads buried too deep in the developerÂ’s wallets, I believe the latter. If this building bonanza continues at the plight of mankind then shouldnÂ’t the validity of it be questioned?? If a simple man such as myself can see the problem then why not the powers that be, answer, they do see it and choose not to address the problem. Their answer is conservation which as we have seen will lead to higher prices because of lost revenue to the water Gods who will then ask for rate increases to offset the money lost because we the users have done our part and used less as they have already done to us. A simple building moratorium at least for the number of years that it would take to really study and resolve, if at all possible, the problem makes sense to me but than as I said its just too simple isnÂ’t it?
NSF

Jyruiz
02-27-2007, 07:59 AM
This is the letter I sent to the editor of the local newspaper today!!
How can you report that story about the coming water shortages with a straight face? Yes we have been in a little drought as everybody knows but the main reason for the Colorado River coming up short is OVER POPULATION period. It just cannot meet the demands being placed on it by all of the blood sucker developers that keep building and building. And they will continue until someone stops them because they donÂ’t care, their profits are all that matters to them. So where are our politicians and civic leaders? Do they not see this problem or are their heads buried too deep in the developerÂ’s wallets, I believe the latter. If this building bonanza continues at the plight of mankind then shouldnÂ’t the validity of it be questioned?? If a simple man such as myself can see the problem then why not the powers that be, answer, they do see it and choose not to address the problem. Their answer is conservation which as we have seen will lead to higher prices because of lost revenue to the water Gods who will then ask for rate increases to offset the money lost because we the users have done our part and used less as they have already done to us. A simple building moratorium at least for the number of years that it would take to really study and resolve, if at all possible, the problem makes sense to me but than as I said its just too simple isnÂ’t it?
NSF
I think you were to nice.:)

2forcefull
02-27-2007, 08:04 AM
so what you are say'n is if they kick about a million or so californians out of vegas, the lake would fill back up?, and I'd be able to drive across town in 10 minutes again, cool, where do i sign

Jetaholic
02-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Power, politics and money...it's the American way! :D

Big Warlock
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
WOW! That was quite a letter. There are so many views on this topic it's hard to know where to start.
I have been meaning to read a book called "cadillac something or other" that addresses the water issue. It was written years ago, but has been highly reccomended. Does anyone know the name of the book?
I ask about water all the time. I keep getting told that there is plenty of water and that Arizona has more water in their water table than anyone knows. I am skeptical at best.
The drought issue is bogus as well. It appears that scientists have discovered we are not really in a drought but more in a "normal" cycle. The past forty years have actually been some of the wettest years ever. So now the cycle is back to normal and everyone is screaming "drought!" They discovered this via tree rings and plant life and geological studies. It was really interesting. Wish I knew where I read that article.
Developers are just exercising their capitalistic rights. People are coming of retirement age. Approximately 20% of Americans will be over the age of 55 in the next few years. Many of them find the Southwest very appealing to live. You can still buy a golf course home around here for cheap! So they will continue to move here. The answer is in the political arena for sure. But if you stop development, watch property values go through the roof!!!
As always, there is good and bad to everything. For sure it won't get settled soon. Not after another 10 million people move to the Southwest in the next ten years! :eek:

Magic34
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, if you want to save water by cleaning your vehicle without water... I'm your guy :D
I know, shamless plug. ;)

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Cadilac Desert... writen by one of the founders of the Sierra Club... it's a good read, but pretty biased. The guy that wrote that has publically said that the west should never have been settled.
California still uses more than their allotment. Once the up river states start using all of their water, So-cal is going to be hurting.
If we ever run out in Arizona, I'll just move back upstream to Colorado...

Racey
02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
so what you are say'n is if they kick about a million or so californians out of vegas, the lake would fill back up?, and I'd be able to drive across town in 10 minutes again, cool, where do i sign
How about if they kicked a few million californians back to mexico.....

Big Warlock
02-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, if you want to save water by cleaning your vehicle without water... I'm your guy :D
I know, shamless plug. ;)
You're ok. There are worse!! Hahahaha :D

C-2
02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
No big conspiracy. We live in a Desert region where there was little available water to begin with.
Remember Sam Kinison and his skit about hunger and the fact many AfricanÂ’s were starving?
He had the solution back then – Don’t send food, send Uhaul’s ….
“Cuz you live in the fawkin Desert, Ohhh Ohhh Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, It’s fawkin sand” “We have Deserts in America, we just don’t live in them arsehole”
Check it out, IÂ’ve always thought this is a brilliant piece:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=22XHf4Uu_b0

Not So Fast
02-27-2007, 10:32 AM
What I'm saying is that if these figures are true and all you can go by is what is reported then we had better WAKE THE F__K UP before its too late!! I'm not trying to stifle anybody or the American way of capitalism but do we wait until we actually run short or do something now?? They admit that the ever increasing population in the south west is the main reason. Here is what some experts are saying,
David Modeer-Tucsons water director
I have no duobt that we will have a water shortage in the next 5 - 10 years. it does not look good!!
Doyle Wilson-water coordinator for Lake Havasu
expects shortages in the next 10 years and Lake Havasu will bear the brunt because we are a low priority along with Bullhead and Mohave Valley.
Also the report says if there is a shortage that Nevada's water supply would be cut by 4% while Arizona would be cut by 75-79% WTF!!! It does not mention Californias cut? The river system at present has 25 million people relying on it!
I dont know about you but I will be writing similar letters to politicians asking these kinds of questions. What good will I do, probably not much but if enough people start asking these same questions then maybe it will help. Water is the one thing we as human beings CANNOT DO WITHOUT.
Thanks for listening!! NSF

2Driver
02-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Crude oil, water, immigration; seems we humans always wait for the train wreck to figure we have to do something about an issue.
Seriously, since we are in the 10th+ year of this drought, it wouldn't hurt to back off the usage. We rented a newer home in Havi last year for 5 days. The f'n irrigation came on everyday for 45 minutes for a hand full of 1 gallon plants. We have 7 acres and use 100,000 gallons less a year than the average household in our town. It's idiotic

dirty old man
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice letter, wish I had written it. As someone who lives on the wide part of the Colorado (Lake Mead) I've seen the explosion in growth all over the Southwest. Some of us need to go back to where we started. But NSF is absolutely correct, our politico's need to grow a pair and start saying no to the excessive building, or put a pipeline in and bring water from where they have to much such as the Pacific Northwest

SummitKarl
02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
hey NSF, didn't you move out here reciently and buy one of those developer homes......isn't this a little bit like buying a house next to a airport then complaining about the noise....:confused:
now speed up and stop driving like a snowbird:D :D

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Bobby,
Great letter. I'm 100% with you on this issue. Something must be done.
John M

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Conservation people...
No more lawns... drought and low water requirement plants (you don't have to water a Mesquite tree, contrary to popular belief)... burnt grass fairways, green green's...
Buy buckets of Magic34's no water cleaner for the car and boat...
Get rid of the swamp cooler and buy a new AC unit... the new AC units use less water (used in power generation) than a swamp cooler does.
No more misters...
Build more water storage facilities (dams) instead of decommisioning them...
Shower with a friend...
If it's yellow, let in mellow... if it's brown, flush it down...

C-2
02-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Just the same as we can't grow petroleum, we can't grow water. We need to focus on finding new sources, not on how to conserve a supply that will eventually not sustain the population no matter what we do. There's just too many people. Conservation is only a temprary fix to an inevitable reality.
The turnip is dry, time to find new turnips.

2Driver
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Conservation people...
No more lawns... drought and low water requirement plants (you don't have to water a Mesquite tree, contrary to popular belief)... burnt grass fairways, green green's...
Buy buckets of Magic34's no water cleaner for the car and boat...
Get rid of the swamp cooler and buy a new AC unit... the new AC units use less water (used in power generation) than a swamp cooler does.
No more misters...
Build more water storage facilities (dams) instead of decommisioning them...
Shower with a friend...
If it's yellow, let in mellow... if it's brown, flush it down...
Personally, I'm ok with all those.

dirty old man
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
C2, I'm not sure we're not growing petroleum, our land fills do the same as nature has been doing, it just may take a million or so years. The water we have on earth has been here since the beginning of (earth) time. Its just changed location and quality) Sea water turns into clouds, then rain, than rivers, then lakes, etc, etc. But what we dump into it, either on purpose or by accident is our long term problem. Its going to be one of the more serious problems we leave to our grandkids, greatgrandkids and so on

Not So Fast
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
hey NSF, didn't you move out here reciently and buy one of those developer homes......isn't this a little bit like buying a house next to a airport then complaining about the noise....:confused:
now speed up and stop driving like a snowbird:D :D
Come on Karl, quit being a hypocrit! Yes we moved here 5 years ago so what. You moved here also RIGHT! At some point the human race has to understand that if a resource runs out it could spell disaster and what resource is as important as water. Is this not the time? What do you propose? Water rationing? I dont think so, we all know its the population explosion in the So West so if it takes a building moratorium then so be it and if you are already here then thats the way the cookie crumbles or do we just continue with the out of control building thats going on, get real my friend, it's in all our best interests. I'm out and will never change my mind on this. NSF (Bobby)

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Just the same as we can't grow petroleum, we can't grow water. We need to focus on finding new sources, not on how to conserve a supply that will eventually not sustain the population no matter what we do. There's just too many people. Conservation is only a temprary fix to an inevitable reality.
The turnip is dry, time to find new turnips.
Like I said, build more storage... look at how many storage programs have been eliminated or scaled back to the point of being worthless in the last 30 years... we get large amounts of rain here during Monsoons... most of it disappears into the desert since we have no way of capturing it. The greenies won't let anyone even think of building a dam, and if someone tries to actually go ahead, everyone from the Mississippi east cries that it's wastefull spending... :rolleyes:
It amazes me the amount of water waste around Tucson. Not a day goes by that water isn't running down the street in my nieghborhood.
It's pretty dangerous to say don't conserve 'cause we're out anyway...
And after hearing alot of water talk for the last decade, it's all starting to sound like anti-growth wrapped up in rhetoric...
How many people were born and raised and still live in Havasu???

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Fact is we need to do both. We need to find new sources (ie. desal) and we need to conserve. Isn't conservation the opposite being wasteful? Not allowing the Southwest to be any more over built until the new source issue is resolved, would probabally be wise. Might cause the powers that be to get on the problem.
John M

Keith E. Sayre
02-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Bobby: You're absolutely right. When it hits them in the
face real hard, they'll stand up and look surprised and say
wow, where did this problem come from. Just like our
2nd bridge to the island, once we have complete gridlock
everyday, and we've destroyed the original bridge then
they'll start thinking about hitting up the developers that
caused us to need the 2nd bridge. Only problem is, they
along with their profits will be gone and we will be left
holding their proverbial bag.
Keith Sayre

C-2
02-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Unless that big quake comes and AZ becomes the next OC, the desalinized water from big blue is gonna have to be imported across Cali, to AZ.
So be nice!

C-2
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Fact is we need to do both. We need to find new sources (ie. desal) and we need to conserve. Isn't conservation the opposite being wasteful? Not allowing the Southwest to be any more over built until the new source issue is resolved, would probabally be wise. Might cause the powers that be to get on the problem.
John M
And I agree. I just don't think conservation should be at the forefront of a solution.
It's not just the desert, the same crap has been happening in the Delta region of Cali - the second most litigated body of water.

ULTRA26 # 1
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Unless that big quake comes and AZ becomes the next OC, the desalinized water from big blue is gonna have to be imported across Cali, to AZ.
So be nice!
If I'm not mistaken, So Cal uses a hefty chunk of CO river water. Desal'd water for So Cal would mean much more available for NV and AZ. Just a start, but a good one.
John M

C-2
02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
WeÂ’ve debated this topic numerous times in the past, itÂ’s refreshing to see a renewed interest. Boatcop knows a lot about this topic and IÂ’m sure heÂ’ll chime in with his knowledge.
MWD was created solely to manage CaliforniaÂ’s allocation of the Colorado River resources. As Arizona and NevadaÂ’s demands have increased, so has their efforts to revisit the long-standing allocation agreements. ItÂ’s nothing new, MWD foresaw this problem a half decade ago. As we creep closer to the inevitable reality, itÂ’s now a crisis.
kind of like Gore and his agenda - is it an emergency, is there anything we can do about it, is it too late, is it part of the natural evolutionof earth - lots of subjective questions.
I'm sure there are solutions out there. It all boils down to convenience and money. Taking water from a river is the easiest method, but I'm sure not the only one.
ItÂ’s a fawking mess and there is TONS of information readily available on the net.

jammin
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
N S F and Keith your right! A good place to start would be the City Council meeting TONITE. With 5 to 6 THOUSAND tract home lots being entitled in and around Havasu right now your thoughts and concernes would be quite timely.

HYPNAUTIC
02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Heres something to think about.
Lake Cachuma (near Solvang) releases water from its dam to flow down the Santa Ynez river out to the ocean. From what I understand none of that water is used for personal or agrigucultural use.

LakeRacer
02-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not the most knowledgeable on this subject but I have to ask....
Why is it the developers (the big bad developers) that everyone is bashing? I hear comments like "blood sucking developers" etc and wonder what is it that they are doing is so wrong? Aren't you and I out to make a fair buck too? Developers are doing what they are allowed to do. It's not completely their fault.
And your asking government officials to commit political suicide to stem the flow of transplants to the southwest. Growth has been and always will be the major factor in the well being of any community. Tell me who wants to stymie growth?...the developers don't, the retailers don't, the service industry don't etc. etc. If you own your business do you want to stunt it's growth?
If anyone is at fault it's all of US. We don't keep a watchful eye on our elected officials (not enough of us vote either) to make sure that they are keeping abreast of current and future issues facing our communities and forcing them to do something about before it's too late.
Just my 2 cents

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Some other good reads on the subject "The Monkey Wrench Gang", and "The Great Thirst" Next time you are on your favorite sandbar pull all the Tamarisk AKA "Salt Cedar" you see it. It is not native and comsumes HUGE amounts of river water a day. The western slope needs a miracle March to help snow packs.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
N S F and Keith your right! A good place to start would be the City Council meeting TONITE. With 5 to 6 THOUSAND tract home lots being entitled in and around Havasu right now your thoughts and concernes would be quite timely.If not mistaken, Havasu uses ground water, not river water. Correct me if I'm wrong.
But...............I agree, don't develope the island with all those homes.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Heres something to think about.
Lake Cachuma (near Solvang) releases water from its dam to flow down the Santa Ynez river out to the ocean. From what I understand none of that water is used for personal or agrigucultural use.
I think Lake Henshaw in No San Diego County is the same way, ends up flowing to the ocean a mile from my biz

3 daytona`s
02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Some other good reads on the subject "The Monkey Wrench Gang", and "The Great Thirst" Next time you are on your favorite sandbar pull all the Tamarisk AKA "Salt Cedar" you see it. It is not native and comsumes HUGE amounts of river water a day. The western slope needs a miracle March to help snow packs.
Yes,it`s snow pack and snow pack only that`s going to fill lakes.I`m amazed that people are all shook about water all the while in a desert, swiming pools, lawn and golf course irrigation. I must also ask if the "LIMIT" is imposed how many will ask why O.K. for you and now we can not enter the area.How many have moved fulltime/part time from California? Just wondering? Look at Powell water levels,you don`t think there is a problem on the horizon?Vegas is sucking so much water can`t imagine.

Keith E. Sayre
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
With regard to the level of the lakes, remember in 1983 when all the doomsdayers were saying that it would take
25 top 35 years to finish filling Lake Powell. Back up
to Memorial Day weekend of 1983 when after a good
winter in Utah and Idaho the sun came out hot and the
water started flowing. That one summer, we filled and
overflowed Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Mohave and Lake
Havasu and they let so much water out below our dam
that almost all of the riverside camp spots in Parker were
flooded and destroyed. It'll happen again too.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Not So Fast
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
I pray you are right Keith. We had a place at Moonridge below Parker Damn and the cabanna's were under water in 83, the water was destroying a lot of stuff. NSF

Biglue
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
With regard to the level of the lakes, remember in 1983 when all the doomsdayers were saying that it would take
25 top 35 years to finish filling Lake Powell. Back up
to Memorial Day weekend of 1983 when after a good
winter in Utah and Idaho the sun came out hot and the
water started flowing. That one summer, we filled and
overflowed Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Mohave and Lake
Havasu and they let so much water out below our dam
that almost all of the riverside camp spots in Parker were
flooded and destroyed. It'll happen again too.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Was this when the Parker dam had water flowing through the upper gates? A friend was telling me about that once. He was saying that the keys were flooded and so forth. Kind of scary when you think about it.