PDA

View Full Version : More dumb sounding prop questions

EricU
04-13-2002, 03:10 PM
I posted a previous prop question regarding my Schiada which is currently getting a Whipple charger installed.
I called down to Whipple's place and he couldn't find any prop numbers or V-drive gear ratio info (I was hoping the motor was still out and he could count input vs. output revolutions).
Any way, I have talked to Tom of Menkins and he suggested a 3-blade prop size to start with.
I now have two more questions for you V-drive experts.
1) My boat is a 89 21' Schiada river cruiser, Are the prop shaft diameters common among boats, what I really want to know is my prop shaft 1' diam. or 1 1/8" diam. or do I need to wait till I get the boat back to check it? I really would like to have the new prop in my shop when I get my boat back so I put it on and get the boat wet. This weather is killing me.
2) How does prop pitch and diameter and V-drive ratios effect the boat's performance?
My boat is a 21' Schiada, 454 (currently getting the Whipple and EFI), T400 and IMCOs (bought it from a guy on the Parker strip). I use the boat to just **** around on Berryessa and the Nor Cal Delta as my buddy just bought a tournament style slug boat that I have access to all the time for skiing & wakeboarding.

VD CRUISER
04-13-2002, 08:50 PM
You would have to measure the shaft or have someone at whipple measure it for you. Most are 1" but the ones set up for high HP are sometimes 1 1/8". Prop dia, and pitch and overdrive, and about a 100 other things have a big effect on the way your boat handles. Ask TOM at Menkins V-Drives, he will be able to answer your questions as well as anybody,plus he can supply you with a prop that is best suited to your set up.

GofastRacer
04-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Talk to Superdave, he's into the bigger boats, he might be able to help.....

V-Drive Tom
04-14-2002, 07:02 AM
ERIC I just got your email saying you lost my number. If you just find out the prop shaft diameter.you will have a propeller in two days. And YES still, with a guarentee that you are happy! You cant Loose. Its all on ME. Tom Bentley 530-885-0531 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

MS CNC
04-18-2002, 04:40 PM
You can also give Ron a call at RBProps. He is full of all kinds of great information and has props on the shelf ready to ship. His number is (909) 886-3298. You can also go to his website www.RBProps.com (http://www.RBProps.com)
[This message has been edited by MS CNC (edited April 18, 2002).]