PDA

View Full Version : Deep V or Deck/Cat Hull

finsfan4life
02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
ok once again my friends I need ur opinion..A few days ago I asked about Placecraft or Lightning. Now I have another Q, can I please have ur opinions on the diff'erences of a deep v and deck/cat hull....I'm close to purchasing a new boat, and I want ur input....and yes, I have two kids. Please consider the kid/safety factor too...Thanks.....Finsfan

BADBLOWN572
02-27-2007, 11:06 PM
They both have their advantages.
Cat:
Runs faster with same h.p.
Rides better in mild chop (IMO)
More fun to drive
Vee:
Leans in when turning
Rides better in heavy chop
Cheaper to insure

phebus
02-28-2007, 06:34 AM
IMO, lake boat-cat, ocean boat-vee.

Not So Fast
02-28-2007, 07:00 AM
YEP !!!!!!!! NSF

havaduner
02-28-2007, 07:10 AM
I'll go along with that as well.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
They both have their advantages.
Cat:
Runs faster with same h.p.
Rides better in mild chop (IMO)
More fun to drive
Vee:
Leans in when turning
Rides better in heavy chop
Cheaper to insure
The above statements are spot on.....When the chop gets so bad in Havasu that the deep v has the better ride I don't even want to be out in the water regardless of the hull type.....

phebus
02-28-2007, 08:01 AM
And, while a deep vee is better in chop, the bigger problem on Havasu is the boat wakes coming from all different directions, and I feel a cat handles that much better, and tends to walk over them, while a vee tends to bang you around much more.
Another arguement for the vee is that you have much more cabin space, but who wants to be down in a cabin when its 110* plus (havasu)? You don't find too many overnighters on Havasu.

dirty old man
02-28-2007, 08:14 AM
finfan, you didn't say where you will boat the most, and what kind of water sport do the kids want to do. IMO, that is more important than some other questions

beaverretriever
02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I will say it again....Before you purchase anything check insurance.

Singleton
02-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Decide on what you want to do first. Cruise around the lake with kids (deckboat\cat), go out in the big blue (vee).
I had a vee and decided to move to a deckboat\cat to give the kids more room now that they are older.
I also agree with what everyone else has said. Going out in Havi in a vee when you get wakes coming from all directions will beat the shit out of the family, and that was a big factor I made the move to the deckboat\cat.
Insurance in the cat will be more, but it is not going to kill you if you keep the power under 500hps.

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 09:51 AM
We totally like our V in Havasu, even in rough days, we have not been beat up at all.

Biglue
02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
We totally like our V in Havasu, even in rough days, we have not been beat up at all.
That's because it's a Commander Jy. :D

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
That's because it's a Commander Jy. :D
Damn right.:D

SurfOnH20
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Just go with a tri-toon..It will eat up anything it could thrown at it on a busy weekend in Havi ! It worked for me :)

BLOWN SLEEK
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
IT depends on how big your vee is, we has a 32 sleekcraft and no matter how bad the wind or chop, it's like glass, smaller vee not so good.

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
V all the way, ask Fast Freddy, his 25' V was smoking Cigs in some real rough stuff with his bimini up.:D

deltarat
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
My fountain will run 85 in most water and when the water gets real bad I just drop the tabs a little and slow down to a nice 60mph crawl, open a soda and enjoy passing all of the cats that I normaly can't keep up with:D That being said I guess the real question is what type of boating do you enjoy? I think that they both have their place and are great for their intented use.

GRUNION
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
I prefer the V, and in no way do I get beat up in any lake water.

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
have you ridden in a CAT yet?? :D

rivercrazy
02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I also prefer a deep V to a deckboat. To me they are more versitile.
And if I compare most 26-28 deckboats to most 25-26 foot deep V hulls with stock 496HO power, there is no real difference in to end performance.

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
have you ridden in a CAT yet?? :D
No, cause you won't give me a ride.:mad: :D

20" gun's
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Depends on the size.
First its not that bad down under a V. The little coolers they sell now will darn near freeze you. Second nothing handles chop like a V. Chop for a cat is like glass for a V. Even when Havi is at its worst i could always run in the 70s. You can almost always put a full beer on a seat unattended and it would not move. A 30 Kachina is smooth. Go smaller and you might want to go home depending on the chop. Yes i have been in a cat.

Cole Trickle
02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree with what everyone said but a Cat/Deck is easier to load and unload passengers.
My V is pretty deep and kind of a pain to get in while on the trailer. People have to jump up on teh side and step on cusions to get in.
Decks/Cats have the cool ladder in the front of the trailer and there not as tall if you nose into the beach to load.

Relaxalot
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
A cat is great with wind generated predictable waves. Big rollers a v is better. I have been in storms on Mojave where the v was the choice of the day. A vee is usually better for towing. I like the cat for ease of entry. The vee is a hassle especially if you want to stay dry. If you are primarily a wakeboarder buy a vee. If you like to cruise around and hang out with friends buy the cat. The deckboat gives you a large stable platform and tons of storage for all your party needs. Go out in both then decide.

Relaxalot
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
p.s. the only vee hull I would reccomend are the deep vee 23-24 degree hull. Do not buy the production vee I had a Four Winns 23' and it was horrible on the late afternoon Havasu Chop. However in a 23' Cobra or a 25' Shockwave it is much nicer.

phebus
02-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Your like a wife in an abusive relationship. Until you get out, you never realize how bad the beatings were. :D

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Your like a wife in an abusive relationship. Until you get out, you never realize how bad the beatings were. :D
Trust me, I know how bad the beatings were, we use an 18' Crownline for two seasons.:)

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
No, cause you won't give me a ride.:mad: :D
I'm in Havasu EVERY weekend--just let me know when you're ready :D
my cell phone # is in my signature

yamamoto
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
The weight of the boat also plays a factor in ride quality. I prefer a heavier boat, but I give up performance for a nice ride.

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Depends on the size.
First its not that bad down under a V. The little coolers they sell now will darn near freeze you. Second nothing handles chop like a V. Chop for a cat is like glass for a V. Even when Havi is at its worst i could always run in the 70s. You can almost always put a full beer on a seat unattended and it would not move. A 30 Kachina is smooth. Go smaller and you might want to go home depending on the chop. Yes i have been in a cat.
I don't know many V-bottoms that will run big water with my 30' Spectre cat, shy of maybe a 38' TG :D
Late October last year (21st maybe??) the wind was ripping, lake was as big as I've seen in a couple years...ran in the 90's from the springs to the channel and back 4 times--only other boat we saw out running (at speed) was a 38' Cig. The V does not have a ride advantage until the holes are BIG...anytime its that big, I'd just as soon be on the trailer anyway...

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm in Havasu EVERY weekend--just let me know when you're ready :D
my cell phone # is in my signature
I was ready this weekend, but you just went by.:D Try to guess what weekend I took this picture?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25224&stc=1&d=1172700081

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I was ready this weekend, but you just went by.:D Try to guess what weekend I took this picture?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25224&stc=1&d=1172700081
thanksgiving--now, either throw something to get my attention or call me when you want a ride

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
thanksgiving--now, either throw something to get my attention or call me when you want a ride
got it.

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 02:11 PM
got it.
the boat will be out this weekend--let me know :D

Jyruiz
02-28-2007, 02:16 PM
the boat will be out this weekend--let me know :D
Can't this weekend bro, but thanks. I will see you out there this season and I will take you up on it, you have always offered and I appreciate that. Hope she runs like hell this weekend, enjoy.

rivercrazy
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Were talkin mid twenty foot deck boats here. Not offshore closed bow tunnel hulls! :D

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Were talkin mid twenty foot deck boats here. Not offshore closed bow tunnel hulls! :D
for Havi average chop I'll still take the ride in the deck boat...for Catalina, I'll take your Shockwave any day :D

rivercrazy
02-28-2007, 02:23 PM
for Havi average chop I'll still take the ride in the deck boat...for Catalina, I'll take your Shockwave any day :D
OK take a typical low freeboard deckboat in the 25-28' range and any 24 degree well built 25-28 foot V bottom. Go to lake mohave in windswept 3-4' chop. Nuff said! :D

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 02:27 PM
OK take a typical low freeboard deckboat in the 25-28' range and any 24 degree well built 25-28 foot V bottom. Go to lake mohave in windswept 3-4' chop. Nuff said! :D
tough call there...

rivercrazy
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
tough call there...
Perhaps your right. With all the water the deckboat would be scooping up, the extra weight would help with the ride!
FYI - I'm just kidding around with Dan. Choose whatever style boat best suits your individual needs

20" gun's
02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't think they have to get that big. My old 30 never had a problem in big water. Except when i hit a huge wake from a cruiser and aired out my drive that sucked. The motor makes a huge difference as well. The new boat has a 525 racing and its a lot lighter. My old 30ft had a custom built 572cu WPM engine that was super heavy. made for a better ride in rough water. at 80+ in ok water she would start to walk. She needed some k planes. But In rough weather i never saw a cat keep up. Only thing passing was bigger V's. On your 30 cat if your running 90, on top of a 3ft chop is your drive not free spinning? :

20" gun's
02-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Probably should re phrase. At what height do you come out of the water? 1,2or 3ft?

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't think they have to get that big. My old 30 never had a problem in big water. Except when i hit a huge wake from a cruiser and aired out my drive that sucked. The motor makes a huge difference as well. The new boat has a 525 racing and its a lot lighter. My old 30ft had a custom built 572cu WPM engine that was super heavy. made for a better ride in rough water. at 80+ in ok water she would start to walk. She needed some k planes. But In rough weather i never saw a cat keep up. Only thing passing was bigger V's. On your 30 cat if your running 90, on top of a 3ft chop is your drive not free spinning? :
maybe momentarily, quick off and back on the sticks...depends on how it is stacked

BadKachina
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
All the points stated are pretty much right on. Vee in big rollers, cat in lake chop. Vee's have bigger cabins and are generally narrower for towing and storing. Cats are more efficient for the same power. Deck boats dont really interest me but they do seem very functional. You can have 8 or 10 people on a deck instead of 5 or six in a cat or vee with closed bows. 6 people on a closed bow boat is too crowded for me.
I was at Pleasant this weekend in a customers 28 Eliminator putting some hours on a new 1000hp blower motor. It road like a Cadillac at a hundred. I really thought riding in it would be the cats ass until a 38 Top Gun launched right next to me. I thought to myself no matter how fast this boat is, what it has in it, it just doesn't have the presence of a big deep vee. That was the deciding vote for me, I've been looking at twin motored 30 ish cats thinking that's what I'll move into next but now I know the next boat will be a 38 plus deep vee.

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
cat--kinda big water...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25240&d=1172714221

Panic Button
02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Another arguement for the vee is that you have much more cabin space, but who wants to be down in a cabin when its 110* plus (havasu)?
I do... Have A/C a cool 75 in the cabin :D

Panic Button
02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
cat--kinda big water...
Come on, that ain't no where near kinda big water Dan...

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Come on, that ain't no where near kinda big water Dan...
look at the size of the chop vs the size of the boat and remember that it is 30ft long, the photographer is standing on the ramp at Windsor--I'm in the middle of the lake and 100+...that chop was big enough to splash water into the cockpit at idle and when stopped...and you don't see any other boats out there do you? Pretty quiet for a saturday...besides, I said kinda big--not huge :wink:

Panic Button
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Just f*ckin with you...:D

Magic34
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I do... Have A/C a cool 75 in the cabin :D
Me too.... Well I did. Now it is gone.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_2996-med.JPG

Magic34
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I had a V, then a cat. Sold the cat to buy a 38' V, did the demo ride in the V, hated it, bought another cat. Sold the cat, getting a very heavy V with genny, A/C, and automatic anchor. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
02-28-2007, 10:00 PM
And, while a deep vee is better in chop, the bigger problem on Havasu is the boat wakes coming from all different directions, and I feel a cat handles that much better, and tends to walk over them, while a vee tends to bang you around much more.
Another arguement for the vee is that you have much more cabin space, but who wants to be down in a cabin when its 110* plus (havasu)? You don't find too many overnighters on Havasu.
Again, Phebus is on the money
JM

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Again, Phebus is on the money
JM
PHEBUS for president :D

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I had a V, then a cat. Sold the cat to buy a 38' V, did the demo ride in the V, hated it, bought another cat. Sold the cat, getting a very heavy V with genny, A/C, and automatic anchor. :D
you're still one of us at heart...there's a pic of a CAT in your signature line :D

dicudmore
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
ok V-bottom fans...looks like this one has just become available for your purchasing pleasures :D
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7771/cimg1579640x480zo8.jpg