PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece Timing Chain Cover for easy Cam Change?

Wrenchforce
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm looking into Timing Chain covers for a Dart Big M - Gen (IV) block. I need the top hole so I can mount the Jabsco water pump to. In the Summit Catalog, I saw a billet cover that has a removable piece for changing out the cam - so I don't have to pull the cover, lift the motor and mess with the gaskets, and hope that they seal when I put her back together. Has anyone ever heard of a 2-piece timing chain cover being used for a V-Drive application with the Jabso water pump? Any ideas?

flatrookie
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm looking into Timing Chain covers for a Dart Big M - Gen (IV) block. I need the top hole so I can mount the Jabsco water pump to. In the Summit Catalog, I saw a billet cover that has a removable piece for changing out the cam - so I don't have to pull the cover, lift the motor and mess with the gaskets, and hope that they seal when I put her back together. Has anyone ever heard of a 2-piece timing chain cover being used for a V-Drive application with the Jabso water pump? Any ideas?
I think your out of luck I looked as well could not find one. a lesson that I learned was my new timing cover thickness or depth was different from the old one and I PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER and found out my water pump would not fit any more :( the cam drive "spud" or what ever was "100 thou to big so I had to buy a new spud and measure and do the job twice so doubble check mock it up first dont be a dumb a$$ like me

DetroitJim
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
If the 2 piece cover is flat, you could have someone machine for the hole and the 4 screws. The stackup to the front of the gear will probably be different but you can alter the spud. What I did is switch to a Donovan gear drive and do the same thing to the cover plate.

coolant
02-28-2007, 01:45 PM
i had a custom one made by jd machine in havasu. they did a great job. it has a base that stays attached to the block while the cover unbolts. i had it made to adjust cam timing easily. i dont think anybody makes one pre-made though. goodluck!

Wrenchforce
02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
i had a custom one made by jd machine in havasu. they did a great job. it has a base that stays attached to the block while the cover unbolts. i had it made to adjust cam timing easily. i dont think anybody makes one pre-made though. goodluck!
Thanks guys for your input - this is helpful to know that I'm not the only one thinking this way.
Coolant - do you have the contact info for JD machining in Havasu. Was your block a Gen IV. Trying to give them something to reverence wtih.
Thanks!!

LakesOnly
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Wrenchforce,
I believe Fiat48 has made one (for Chebby) from billet..or somebody he knows has made them.
Then I think that Gofastracer has made one (for Chebby) ...or somebody he knows makes them.
We make them for the Ferd:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350CoverAndAccessories.jpg
LO

GofastRacer
02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=LakesOnly;2416483]Then I think that Gofastracer has made one (for Chebby) ...or somebody he knows makes them.[/QUOTE
Actually I made a 3 piece cover, that way you don't have to pull the driveline off(in a circle boat)to change camshafts!..:D

469 the coyote
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Comp cams has a 3 piece cover. You just need to put the mounting holes for the pump in it. Part # cca-312 for summit it is $275.99

Wrenchforce
03-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Comp cams has a 3 piece cover. You just need to put the mounting holes for the pump in it. Part # cca-312 for summit it is $275.99
Hey Scoobie -- Thanks!! That has some major possibilities for meeting my needs. Just need to make sure that I learn from Flat Rookie's mistake and get the clearances correct.
Thank you for taking the time to post. Very much appreciated.

GofastRacer
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
The one I made back in the 80's is very similar, but I used o-ring for the covers!..