PDA

View Full Version : Info on Aqua Craft boats

Wicked1
05-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I recently came across a good deal that I dont wanna pass up on, but i wanna get some info on these boats... Its a 18ft v-drive with a 460 ford its all there but needs restoration, i dont know the year it was made but the last time it was registered was in 66 in AZ.. I was just curious how they performed and how well they were built? thnx

DaveA
05-11-2003, 07:17 PM
I know this is ALOT more than you may care to know, but, here's what I know about the designer/founder:
Skip Volk, a residential homebuilder from Covina, enjoyed boats so much that he founded the Aquacraft Boat Company, and then later sold it to concentrate on his flying. I believe it became a subsidiary of Leisure Enterprises, Inc. of San Francisco, located in Corona, California. He was married to Kay, had 3 girls and moved to Newport, and bought a house on Lido Island. He got involved in all sorts of sport aviation, such as gliders and soaring, as a member of the Orange County Soaring Assn, then learning to fly aerobatics from the great Art Scholl.
I had seen him perform with Art Scholl, who trained him to fly precision formation aerobatics with him for airshow performances.He died in May 1972 while performing aerobatics, practicing for a show.
As far as boats were concerned, he ran "Miss Valvoline" with Peter Rothschild in the late Sixties, a Ford powered flattie, and owned SS56, known as "Red Hornet" and "Volk's Wagon"
Being such an aviation nut myself, I admired this guy for having the zeal to go full bore into his aerobatic training and flying. He was the same superacheiver in boats, too. The good die young...

gnRacer98
05-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Got a few of these I'm slowly scanning for the GN site.
Prefer RaysonCrafts myself, Famous Ramos is still around. Rumors are floating about he's gonna climb into the 9 boat at Laughlin and give us youngsters a driving lesson!!
Hope this helps.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/592Aqua-64-med.JPG

CircleJerk
05-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Mr.W, We have two Aquas running in our Nostalgia races here. Mine is a 73 17'10" shark. They made race boats and pleasure hulls which ride very well. I sold it once and was happy to buy it back for the great ride and performance potential. I will eventually enjoy an injected 468 that should push it into the 90's. If you check any old boat racing reports or magazines from the 60s, you will find many of them listed as finishers of numerous marathon races along with Rayson Crafts, and Mandellas. {Sorry John} Many fast 427 Fords found homes betweem their stringers, so I've been told. And, finally, many Aquas were splashed to become other brands including: Biesemeyer {'B-Boats'}! That's my nickels worth......JeRkster smile_sp

68campbell
05-12-2003, 06:51 AM
I worked at a Ski school, back in the day, that used 2 aqua-crafts to teach with. They wern't very fast, but after driving one for eight hours straight on choppy Lake Arrowhead the body felt fine. I would love to have one.

P-Money
05-12-2003, 07:31 AM
As far as I know, what I have is an AquaCraft. The title on the boat when I bought it said the hull type was unknown, but everyone I've talked to said its an AquaCraft.
Picture (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000225)

jody165
05-14-2003, 10:37 AM
My family happens to have a 1967 Wickens Whirlwind which my father bought used in 1973. It has been rerigged once in 1980 but needs complete rerig again. It was never raced.
Maybe one day I will re-rig with a nice injected all aluminum (ZL1 type) 427 BBC and an old style paint scheme. Kinda retro nostaglic hot rod type flatty. Need to find some old ***boat mags from late 60's early 70's and pick out a great paint style.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-14-2003, 03:16 PM
CircleJerk:
many Aquas were splashed to become other brands including Biesemeyer {'B-Boats'}! That's my nickels worth......JeRkster smile_sp [/QB]Your Jerkness, The boys who splashed the Aqua-craft made some pretty big changes to the bottom of the boat before decking it, resulting in the far superior Biesemeyer!! wink Go Bomber!!! :D

voodooCanoe
05-14-2003, 04:02 PM
I had no idea wickens and aqua-craft were one in the same...cool I love boat history class!

CircleJerk
05-14-2003, 09:42 PM
They are not! Skip contracted Fred Wickens to make him a mold for the Wickens Aquacraft. They are slightly different from the Wickens whirlwind that was also made by Fred. This I have found out since we have the #1 Wickens from Fred's estate and also have a 65 Aqua Wickens that is stored in the same warehouse here in Spokane. One is called the 'Daddy' and the other his offspring... In other words two companys made the Wickens hull. They both look similar since the deck plug was made from wood and has those woodie lines. Correct me if I am wrong since I am still a student of flat history myself. JeRkapupil smile_sp

CircleJerk
05-14-2003, 09:48 PM
The boys who splashed the Aqua-craft made some pretty big changes to the bottom of the boat before decking it, resulting in the far superior Biesemeyer!! wink Go Bomber!!! :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
JG; do you know exactly what those changes were Mr. smarty pants! Incidently, my shark has the same four lapstrakes that the HoterCanary has that blends into a gull center and major rocker then blends into a flat final 3 feet. Heard any Nostalgia news for Burley? smile_sp

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-15-2003, 04:52 PM
CircleJerk
JG; do you know exactly what those changes were Mr. smarty pants! Incidently, my shark has the same four lapstrakes that the HoterCanary has that blends into a gull center and major rocker then blends into a flat final 3 feet. Heard any Nostalgia news for Burley? smile_sp [/QB]Ok Jerkenhiemer :) ,
Instead of pointing out the technical differences between boat bottoms, Im simply going to remind you that the BIESEMEYER not Aquacraft has become and continues to be the Icon of circle boat racing. 2 out of 3 of the top kilo speed records are from "B-Boats", the third is a Barron sprint wink .With all due respect- wheres the Aquacraft??
The bottom of Lance Faulkners Multi-record holding superstock (121mph) has a 2 strake bottom. The new ss-70 has a redesined 4 strake bottom that Lance hand crafted. The new 4 straker may or may not be faster...they haven't made any record attempts yet. I agree the Aquacraft is a bitchen boat, but... If circle boat racing with no speedlimit was my objective, my top hull picks would be:
1. Biesemeyer (new canary or 76-79 Julian boat)
2. Bezer (sorry Billy :D )
3. Barron Sprint
4. Hondo Sprint
5. Circle Sanger (non Runner)
6. Lavey C
7. Jones Starfire
8. Raysoncraft
9. etc.
10. etc
11. etc.
12. Aquacraft
Just my humble and worthless opinion. :)
If racing with a speedlimit was my objective, I guess I'd go for the boat with the best paint job. :D LOL Go Bomber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CircleJerk
05-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Jerry, Jerry, are you trying to hurt my feelings? ouch....#12 Aquacraft is behind etc,etc,! I've heard of AMC boats but what is etc or is it Eic? Now for your continued education, listen up! We race NOSTALGIC boats, maybe Sangster can help with the definition. So, throw out the fastest, wildest, most expensive, most often copied, ETC. Now for my list, dig this: JeRks Nostalgic List, the most nostalgic first.....
#1 Mandella, Elvis Clam-Bake
#2 Rayson-Craft, Rudy Rules
#3 Wickens
#4 Miller or Beyers
#5 Jones-starfire
#6 Lavey-Craft 'C'{Bombers ride}
#7 16foot Rusty's 'B'boat
#8 Aqua-Craft
#9 Sanger
#10 AMC
#11 Marlin
#12 Howard
#13 Hallett
A couple of these may be slightly out of position but you get the picture. I may have omitted some but I went stictly from memory, so forgive me. Opps, did I leave out Hondo?? Sorry Charlie, :spin:I picked my new boat because of its Nosty value, not for its circle boat prowess! Did I spell that right? Not to mention the fact that it might keep me upright and dry! Boo Hoo Mr. video guy..... smile_sp
[ May 16, 2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

BILLY.B
05-16-2003, 04:40 AM
CircleJerk / Video Guy..you two have way to much time on your hands :p .Besides most of the old stuff that was produced just helped make what we now have in circle racing, and YES some did perform better then others. But I do have to say there Jerkster, nothing compares to the BIESEMEYER :D , just look at the record books. If it's not a "B" BOAT it surely would be a copy. Now I love the older style boats very much, and when there restored they are BITCHIN and worth every penny someone put into them. So instead of going back and forth with the VIDEO GUY get out in the garage, put that injected motor in the boat and go make some turns smile_sp Just my .02 :D

vdriver4ever
05-16-2003, 05:26 AM
My Dad (Don Minegar) build many Aqua Crafts for Skip out of his boat store in San Jose Ca. He and Tom Whaley had "Whaley and Minegar" Custom Boats in the mid to late 60's. Later it became "Don Minegar Custom Boats". He was also a Whickens, Kinsvater and Stevens dealer. It was cool hanging out with Skip at many of the races when I was younger. Skip was an intense competitor. Roy Gollot splashed the Aqua Craft bottom and built a few Aqua Miads. Roy went on to hold the BGH record in a sanger hydro. You are correct the Skip had Fred Whickens build him a mold. The 17 ft. Aqua Craft was one of the best turning boats in it's day.

vdriver4ever
05-16-2003, 05:33 AM
Sorry about spelling wickens wrong.... I guess it was too early in the morning for my fingers.

68campbell
05-16-2003, 06:27 AM
How come Campbell and Patterson aren't on the list. They may not be the best for todays competitive world but they are stable, ride nice and look good.
I can say that I do like the aqua-craft, I logged 8 hours a day, 7 summers in a row in Aqua-Crafts. The are well built boats.
P.S. I have a 64 Patterson for sale, elm deck.
[ May 16, 2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: 68campbell ]

CircleJerk
05-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Billy B, its nice to hear from the 'speed demon' in regards to our little spat on whos is better. I just can't get him to think 'Nosty'! And you were correct, I was installing new engine rails and transom-plate bracing to handle the extra HP. I should put in a full day tomarrow fixing the Blondes oil leak and mounting my dummy block the 'right way' snout in front! Rudder is back and checks OK as well as the shaft so, slam it back together in two weeks! I think I have my
Dentist talked into racing it while I yap.
CAMPBELL64: you are right, I was thinking Campbell, Patterson when I wrote Miller, Beyers! They should all be on the list for sure!
Vdriver4ever: You are continued proof that a foul smelling post can turn golden! Where have you been hiding with all that interesting information, especially when it can help a poor JeRk out! Great information, you wouldnt have any pictures to post of those golden days, would you? JeRkout smile_sp

CircleJerk
05-17-2003, 12:41 AM
V-DRIVE VIDEO
If racing with a speedlimit was my objective, I guess I'd go for the boat with the best paint job. D LOL Go Bomber!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/QB]AH Ha, Here is my proof of how shallow you are. I JG, want the prettiest one and beauty is merely skin deep! May your Hondo be spanked hard by a slimmey, primer gray, rotting flat with Buick power....Good-Night smile_sp

vdriver4ever
05-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Circle Jerk, Yes I do have a bunch of old photo's from the 60's and 70's. I will have to get them out and dust them off. My mother ski raced and my dad ran some drags. I think he wanted to run some of the first SS races but mom said not with four boys.......... Gee and I used to think he wore the pants in the family?
When we moved to Idaho in 1974 we brought a brand new 18 ft Rayson Craft with a 427 ford with us. Although it was one in a million in San Jose it was a real eye catcher here.
I will try to be more active with post and jump in when I think it might be of interest to the viewers.

126driver
05-17-2003, 06:01 AM
vdriver4ever:
I will try to be more active with post and jump in when I think it might be of interest to the viewers. Don't let that stop your posting. It's never stopped me. :D smile_sp

CircleJerk
05-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Ain't that the truth! S.P. smile_sp wink

CircleJerk
05-17-2003, 09:09 AM
It never stopped me either! As you well know. And Mr S.P. if you keep using the spinning bald guy, your hair will start {or keep} falling out! Warning! Ha Ha. I'm going Billy! jeRk smile_sp