PDA

View Full Version : Smithy CNC 1240

HOSS
02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Anyone got one or know of one and pros and cons? Looking at buying one. Thanks

Rexone
02-01-2006, 10:43 PM
You can buy nice Bridgeport style mills used in the $2K range that are decent. They kick ass over the toys if you're doing any amount of milling.

Oldsquirt
02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Which one is the 1240? is it a 1300 Granite series or the 1200 Midas type?
Rio
It's neither. It is a new unit and falls into the category of "bench-top mill". List price is approx $16k Smithy 1240cnc (http://www.smithycnc.com/index.html)

victorfb
02-01-2006, 11:16 PM
You can buy nice Bridgeport style mills used in the $2K range that are decent. They kick ass over the toys if you're doing any amount of milling.
WERE? :cool:

Rexone
02-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Mostly from NC shops that no longer need em. I picked a good one up awhile back for $2500 with dig readout, auto feeds, and a nice curt vice too. And tight enough for making average boat parts.
Granted they aren't CNC's but they aren't 16K either.
I think there's some BP style mills around too with NC addons for prolly 5K.

Fiat48
02-01-2006, 11:33 PM
And old mills and lathes are money in the bank. Worth what you paid or more when you sell them

victorfb
02-01-2006, 11:42 PM
$2500 for a dig mill is awsome. im just begining the garage project so i will definatly be looking for one by the end of summer. clearing out the lot for a 50'X26' slab to build on so ill make sure i make the area were the mill will be a bit thicker. and yes CNC is nice, but for 16k id rather turn some wheels. ill have 13.5k to spend on scrap to practice on. (if you wanna look at it that way) :cool:

Rexone
02-02-2006, 12:53 AM
$2500 for a dig mill is awsome. im just begining the garage project so i will definatly be looking for one by the end of summer. clearing out the lot for a 50'X26' slab to build on so ill make sure i make the area were the mill will be a bit thicker. and yes CNC is nice, but for 16k id rather turn some wheels. ill have 13.5k to spend on scrap to practice on. (if you wanna look at it that way) :cool:
If I come across any mills I'll let ya know.
There's some lathes floating around for similar money from time to time too. I picked up a nice large turret lathe for around 2K several years ago and have seen some others since.

victorfb
02-02-2006, 02:02 AM
cant have one without the other. :cool: thanks.

superdave013
02-02-2006, 05:39 AM
wow, for thousands less I bought a supermax cnc (1985), Ultratech knee mill (1996) with 3 axis dro, chucker lathe (1969) that's very nice and might be getting (sold with tooling), granit surface plate, 7hp air compressor, small drill press, nice baldor grinder, 3 different styles of belt sanders, 2 matched Kurt vices, 2 import cheepO vices, Dividing heads, TONS and TONS of tooling, 2 life times of carbide, a life time of measuring and inspection stuff, full master tap index, full master drill indexs.
I would like to get a Brown and Sharp screw machine. I have boxs and boxs of B&S tooling so that's why i'm looking for that brand. Anyone know if B&S tooling will fit any other brand machine?

HOSS
02-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Got 2 brake lathes I`ll sell. An AAMCO and Snap-On. Need a mill much more than these.

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I would like to get a Brown and Sharp screw machine. I have boxs and boxs of B&S tooling so that's why i'm looking for that brand. Anyone know if B&S tooling will fit any other brand machine?
I don't know what type of tooling you are talking about. but most groups of machines are built similar.
Mill tooling goes in most mills, lather tooling goes in most lathes.
just my .02
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 08:38 AM
WERE? :cool:
I can get you two right now.
$1500-$2000 US.....ALL.....DAY...LONG
Real Bridgeports, late models at that.
If you gents are serious, I will get a mill for someone that wants one.
One of these mills I was trying to get for a custumer of mine, he just needs it to do drilling and odd things. Someone apparently didn't know that you are not supposed mill shapes INTO the table though. haha. It is a shame, the machine is less than 10 years old, paint is original and in nice shape. You can tell that is was taken care of, except for the knucklehead in charge of the quill stop.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Anyone got one or know of one and pros and cons? Looking at buying one. Thanks
Too bad you are in LA,
A shop I used to work at is selling a practically brand new CNC Bridgeport knee mill, been trying to get rid of it for some time. They went out of business 5 years ago. Just been sitting in the owners garage collecting dust. That machine has less then two years of use.
TONS better than any smithy.
just my worthless .02
Brian

Konabud
02-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Keep in mind if you buy a Bridgeport or similar that most of them are set up for three phase power. You'll have to set up a Rotophase. Just something to keep in mind for the garage guy.

superdave013
02-02-2006, 09:07 AM
I bought two static phase converters when I was in a garage. about 100 bucks each and did the trick. I guess you loose some power but I never noticed it.

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 10:22 AM
I bought two static phase converters when I was in a garage. about 100 bucks each and did the trick. I guess you loose some power but I never noticed it.
Yea what he said.
I use a static for the Bridgeport. I only notice it when I am using a face mill. Essentially you are running on two "hots" instead of three, so you lose the power of one phase. Big deal 95% of the time. 100 bucks like the the "Hoser Dave" said.
I run a single rotary for the two CNC's, works perfect. But a different deal altogether.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Keep in mind if you buy a Bridgeport or similar that most of them are set up for three phase power. You'll have to set up a Rotophase. Just something to keep in mind for the garage guy.
You are correct sir, I should have mentioned any big machine will be 3 phase.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 10:25 AM
2 life times of carbide,
Since you don't plan on having heirs, I'll be over to pick up one of those lifetimes of carbide.
Thanks SD,
Brian

superdave013
02-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Since you don't plan on having heirs, I'll be over to pick up one of those lifetimes of carbide.
Thanks SD,
Brian
but what would you do with them?
When was the last time you walked away from the "window" long enough to grind a carbide lathe cutter? lol

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 12:17 PM
but what would you do with them?
When was the last time you walked away from the "window" long enough to grind a carbide lathe cutter? lol
OHHHHH that carbide. ok then.
Window? We dont look through that often bud, parts fly out of windows.
Brian

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
This is similar to the CNC Bridgeport I was refering to. (http://www.bpt.com/index.asp?pageID=943&prodID=58)
I haven't seen the machine is 5 years or so, but this is basically what it looks like.
Taken right off Bridgeport's site, which is now Hardinge anyway.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63174x137EZ_VISION.gif

victorfb
02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
damn thats a nice machine. find me one of THOSE for that $1500-$2000... :p heck, that dude aint useing it. plus theres 5 years of dust collected on it. :)

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 06:49 PM
damn thats a nice machine. find me one of THOSE for that $1500-$2000... :p heck, that dude aint useing it. plus theres 5 years of dust collected on it. :)
That aint the one for 2 large pal. If it were I would have had a third mill.
Brian

Fiat48
02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
On the 3 phase converter dealios. I have an Anderson heavy duty 3 phase converter and I run 4 different machines from it. But never 2 at the same time cause it is just me anyway.
A Tree digital readout mill.
A Sunnen CK10
A Storm 85B surfacer
A seat and guide machine.
I mounted the phase converter on the wall and a short cord out of it to a 4 prong wall socket. Then made cords for each machine and male plug ins. I just plug in the machine I want to use. Works for me.

victorfb
02-02-2006, 07:38 PM
yea i was thinking one converter would be plenty aswell. good idea.
and brian... i was just funnin with the last post man, i know damn well if a CNC machine was going for that cheap it be gone bofore the seller said "i have a cnc .................sold" besides, i got alot more time (i hope) than i do money, so turning wheels is just fine for me. :) ill let you know when im ready for one. anybody that knows how to finish convrete is more than welcome to come by some saturday soon. 16 yards is a bitch to finish. :p

steveo143
02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Go to E-Bay, Reliable Tools Store, they usually have at least 2 or 3 Bridgeports up for auction each week. I got a very nice Wells Index mill for 1600.00. They have all sorts of metalworking machinery up for auction. they are located on Arrow Highway in Irwindale, Ca. You can preinspect anything before bidding. A very satisfied customer.
steveo143 aka Dimarco21 II

victorfb
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
wow, we really hijacked this thread didnt we. sorry about that. but since im here let me ask this.... are the r-8 collets still common on the newer machines? i have a bunch of em.

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 08:33 PM
wow, we really hijacked this thread didnt we. sorry about that. but since im here let me ask this.... are the r-8 collets still common on the newer machines? i have a bunch of em.
R8 collets are a staple in any knee-type milling machine.
Brian

Fiat48
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Except a Tree.

wsuwrhr
02-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Except a Tree.
Yes sir,
I should have specified.
Edit in progress.
Brian

victorfb
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
hey now, i barely know what a knee mill is and now your throwing in a tree? im thinking i need to get out one of my three chain saws. you machinists are killing me.lol cool deal on the R8 stuff though. atleast that saves me a few bucks. and i know a place were they sell tooling for $3.00 a pound. surrplus stuff but you have to search through it. but its got some freshly sharpened stuff in there with the wax or whatever that stuff is, still on it. i cant wait to finally get a machine that actually has some precision to it. not like my early fifties mill i picked up for $50. basically a glorified drill press with a moving table. but im having fun with it. :cool:

Fiat48
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
A Tree will mill a knee if you can figure out how to hold it. LOL.
A Tree (brand) mill uses a different collet because they are quick change. But the standard for most everything is R-8 which is the Bridgeport standard and most mills are "copys" of the Bridgeport. I just threw that tree info in just in case it might help somebody shopping down the road.