PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chevy C3500 CrewCab Dually

Beer-30
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I moved all the info here. Didn't seem right to be in Anaheim Chevrolets corner.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/front.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/highrear.JPG
As soon as the new body is available, I will be getting a new one and then outfitting it for SEMA. I will keep my current on through that time, so I have something to pull the boat with. Near SEMA time, I will be looking to sell the '98.
WATERWITCH here on the board sent me a PM back in Sept, asking me to let them know when I was selling. They have first dibs. If they don't want it, I am sure someone will.
I am an animal when it comes to preventative maint. At 79,000 (mileage right now, today) I have already replaced the A/C compressor, dryer, lines, idler, tensioner - just so they don't go belly up. I have rebuilt the front end - bushings, ball joints, shocks, swaybar links - about 5,000 ago. Again, so they would not fail on a trip. I have changed the rear lube every 30K, instead of 100K. Tranny was flushed at 50K. Will do again if it hits 100 while I have it. Has been on Mobil-1 synthetic since 15K, changed every 5K - with a filter between. It just got a new window motor and door latches on the driver's side. New plugs and MSD wires. I put on new headlights, tail lights, cab lights and marker lights at about 60K, as they were looking dull.
Air-Lift air bags on rear, compressor, tank, control in glove box. BellTech 5" front (spindles and 2" springs) Toxic shocks and 8" flip kit in rear with KYB shocks.
K&N intake, Edelbrock headers, MSD wires. Complete dual catback 3" exh and dual 40-series Flowmasters. That's 3" pipe and one 3" in/out muffler, and one 3" tailpipe PER bank. The headers have 3" headpipes that feed into each of the two factory high-flow cats. The previously mentioned system starts on each cat.
Interior has no stock stereo pieces at all. The first week I had it, I pulled all the stock stuff out and put in all Eclipse / Fosgate. The head unit, EQ, doors, and high end amp is all Eclipse. The two 10s under the back seat and amp to run them are Fosgate. 1400 watts total. Nothing huge, just nice and clean. All door speakers are in stock locations, not visible.
I am about to put on a new fan-clutch, flush radiator, and new upper/lower rad hoses. Once again, just so nothing fails during boating season. It will get a new A/C blower motor also, as it has started making noise.
Just passed smog again, with flying colors. I kept the printout, as the numbers were so low - well below average.
That's the nutshell.
NEW POST:
Stereo is an Eclipse 5504 flip-down-face, standard DIN, AM FM CD. It is in a DIN-and-a-half install kit, with a 1/2-DIN Eclipse 2101 paragraphic EQ/Bass control below it. There is an Eclipse 10-disc under the passenger seat. Yes, it has nav capability. It has 5V pre-outs, but that gets raised to 10v from the 2101 so it is just increadibly clean music.
There is a Clifford Concept 400 alarm with infra-red dual zone sensor. There is an invisible outer zone that "squaks" if someone is within 1.5 feet of the truck. It is just a warn-away. If the window/door plane inner zone has movement, the alarm sounds. Auto door lock with arm/disarm. Starter kill, and parking lights.
I had mentioned earlier that is has Air-Lift rear air bags. You basically can't successfully do an 8" flip kit without them.
The tires are 10-ply all around, which is load range E, if you are more familiar with that. They usually come (it came) from the factory with 8 ply (load range D) all around, but I always go with 10s.
2680 each tire. 16,080 for all six. 10,720 for the rears alone.
It has had 2 rear brake jobs. One at about 23,000 by GM. The other one was at 60K by myself. New GM shoes and springs. New axle seals and this lube:
http://www.torcousa.com/ProductImages/060912112401sgo_racing_gear_list.gif
Product Description
Torco SGO is designed to maximize power efficiency and provide the highest level of gear protection under the most severe speed and load conditions. It is formulated using a combination of Group IV/V synthetic base oil chemistries and additive technologies providing high shear resistance and 4-5 times the film strength of conventional oils. This combination of base oils and extreme pressure chemistries offer superior wear protection, improved power throughput, longer component life and prevents rust and oxidation
Features & Benefits
- 100% Synthetic Formula
- Superior shock load and wear protection
- Increases power throughput
- Reduces operating temperatures
- A balanced concentration of race proven chemistries
SAE 75W-140
Recommended for use in differentials, transmissions and transfer cases requiring an SAE 75W140, 80W140 or 85W140 GL-5 or GL-6 rated gear oil. Used in all forms of racing and performance street applications. Highly recommended in extreme loads or continuous high temperature applications. The fronts have been done 4 times. Around ever 15-20K. Usually, it is just so I can repack the bearings with Mobil-1 synthetic grease. New seals every time and I put on new rotors ($200/ea) last time. It will more than likely have a fresh job at sale time. That will be real close to my repack limit.
Tranny never replaced. I don't see it going out for another 100K. Even towing they recommend flushing at 100K, and I already did it once at 50K.

Hustler
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Wrong thread?:D

Beer-30
02-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Wrong thread?:D
Moved it here from the other.

Eliminator 4 Life
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
what motor is in it.

Beer-30
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
what motor is in it.
7400 Vortec, 290 hp / 410 tq (stock), 4L80E trans.

RitcheyRch
03-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Very nice truck. Shouldnt have any problems selling it.

Eliminator 4 Life
03-01-2007, 06:31 AM
7400 Vortec, 290 hp / 410 tq (stock), 4L80E trans.
Which is a 454 right? Also how much you gonna ask for it? Do you got any interior pics?

Schiada Time
03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Beer 30- I would love to see some interior and engine compartment pics. I am very interested. Please let me know when you are prepared to sell as I will have to sell my truck before I could come get it.
Travis

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I'll get some int pics today.
Yes Rob, 7.4 liter, 7400cc, 454 cu in

LAFD
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
damn ive always wanted one of these trucks. put up a price and hopfully i can get it.

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I still need the truck through August and maybe September. It's gonna be awhile.

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Once again, I will not be selling the truck until August or so. Here's the pics as requested, though. I didn't bother to dress the tires, as I am going to our shop tomorrow to put two new ones on the front and put fronts onto the right rear. Truck still does not leak a drop in it's driveway spot. I keep watching as the driveway is clean and lets me know if something is amiss.
The light paint I was speaking of on fender edge.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Paint1.JPG
Mileage.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Miles.JPG
Interior.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Int1.JPG
Engine. I wash it about every third time I wash the outside. Once a month or so.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Eng2.JPG
You can see the new Delco A/C compressor.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Eng1.JPG
Head Unit / EQ.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Deck.JPG
Fender Damage from tire separation.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Damage2.JPG
Close up of damage.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Damage1.JPG

dumbandyoung
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/highrear.JPG
Werid to see the flamingo now. They changed it to the Aqurius now.
Very nice truck...should sell very quick.

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Werid to see the flamingo now. They changed it to the Aqurius now.
Very nice truck...should sell very quick.
Thanks for the nice comment. I don't like my stuff to look old.
Wow, I didn't know they had changed the name. It was the crappiest service ever when we stayed there that time. It was Memorial Day weekend, 2005. We are not real picky, and we vowed never to stay there again - it was so bad.

revndave
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Nice truck.

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks

pushnwood
03-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Price?

Beer-30
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Price?
As stated, it is technically not for sale yet. I was getting questions about it in another sections, so this is the proper place to answer the questions. My new truck would not be here until July or August and THEN, it would still be unavailable until after SEMA (Nov). I would probably sell this truck around August.
Right now it books for about 11K average. I would have to ask a small chunk more if someone wanted it RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, I will probably be looking for 10-11K in August.

dumbandyoung
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the nice comment. I don't like my stuff to look old.
Wow, I didn't know they had changed the name. It was the crappiest service ever when we stayed there that time. It was Memorial Day weekend, 2005. We are not real picky, and we vowed never to stay there again - it was so bad.
Ive never stayed there but i heard it sucks. The place looks alot nicer now though. (no more pink):)

Beer-30
03-18-2007, 07:10 PM
My first headlight went out. Almost nine years, and not a bulb. Now a headlight and one of the bulbs in the third brakelight.
So, here starts the delimma. I get new Sylvania SilverStar (slightly blue) replacement 9006 headlight bulbs. I pull the passenger side headlight assembly out and replace first bulb. I get to the driver's side, and the assembly doesn't want to come out of the adjustment bracket. I pull and wiggle and finally, the headlight breaks into three pieces and falls everywhere. This is the whole plastic housing, mind you.
They were APC clear replacements, not the best quality anyway.
So, I jump in the '58 Impala and head down to AutoZone. No replacements there, either aftermarket or OEM. I go down to PepBoys, nothing. Oh, and when the housing broke, it also took the 9005 high beam bulb with it. Snapped it. So, I got the SilverStar 65w 9005 replacements for those. Still no housing(s) though.
Finally, I go to the GMC dealership (I have friends there that treat me better than the Chevy dealership). He has two replacements, but they have the factory bulbs and adjustment plates. Retail $200 ea.
Crap! I didn't want to replace a bunch more stuff when I am going to sell it soon anyway! Well, after him-hawing around for a few minutes, he gets down to $155 ea, then, finally, $120 ea. I know I could have gotten some other replacements online, but I have to leave for Havasu on Thursday and didn't want to take the risk that they wouldn't get here.
So, I bought them. $260 for the pair, $100 in replacement (but upgraded) bulbs.
After all is installed, I move to the third brakelight. As I remove the screws that hold the lens on, I notice that the left side has broken around the screw-land. So, the screw is in nice and tight, but not even touching any of the lens. I went ahead and replaced both bulbs (if one went, the other is close behind) and I will get the new GM lens tomorrow.
When I sell this thing, someone is getting an almost-new truck! :)

dumbandyoung
03-19-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/front.jpg

Beer-30
03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
It's still not up for sale yet, but thanks for the bump.
I am headed out now to get the third brakelight dealio, ironic.

Beer-30
07-12-2007, 02:01 PM
The latest update:
Kept going through front brakes. Warped rotors and all. After driving trucks and trailers since teen years, I am super good on brakes. Couldn't figure out why they were going away so fast.
I had re-done the rears when I re-sealed it and put in the Torco synthetic. I knew they were good and adjusted properly. It always had a fairly low pedal, but with drums on the rear it is to be expected.
Well, the last set of pads went to metal/metal contact. Rotors had been warped for awhile.
So, I got two new Delco rotors, pads, seals, and a new Delco master cylinder.
Replaced all, once again packing the bearings by hand with Mobil-1 red grease. Dumped in Valvoline dot-4 synthetic fluid and had the wife push the pedal while I bled all four until new fluid came through.
Wow, it is amazing how low the pedal had slowly gotten. Now it is 1/2" and then a whole lotta brake. Rear portion of the master had gone away some time ago, so I was only braking with the fronts!
So, there are some more new parts on this truck. Delco parts, no less. And, one more system that someone won't need to worry about for another 50-60K miles.
Getting close to ordering. Probably next few weeks at the most. Then, I will still have to wait for the new one, prep it for SEMA, and get SEMA overwith. I MAY sell prior to SEMA, but unknown at this point.

Schiada Time
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Let me know. I looked at another one today and would definitely like to look at this one as well before buying.
ST

Beer-30
09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Let me know. I looked at another one today and would definitely like to look at this one as well before buying.
ST
I haven't heard from either #1 or #2, you are #3 in line. Could probably meet somewhere either this coming Sat afternoon or anytime Sun.

Beer-30
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
New truck enroute.
$10,500 for this one.

Schiada Time
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Beer 30- After looking through your posts again and how clean this thing is I would like to look at it. The service on it is remarkable. I am like this with my stuff too and you just don't see it much anymore.

Beer-30
09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Beer 30- After looking through your posts again and how clean this thing is I would like to look at it. The service on it is remarkable. I am like this with my stuff too and you just don't see it much anymore.
As mentioned earlier, I could possibly meet mid-way (Lebec? Gorman?). Probably Sunday would be do-able.

Schiada Time
09-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Sounds like it may work. I have a commitment Saturday but am available Sunday. cell 714-276-5268
Travis

Beer-30
09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Getting it smogged Saturday.
Schiada Time should have his check for me by tomorrow.
We are looking to make a deal on Sunday - if all goes as planned. Rain or shine.
Hey Travis, maybe we should just take the boats and meet at Pyramid! :eek:

Beer-30
09-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Got the smog done.
Meeting with SchiadaTime tomorrow (Sun) AM to do the exchange.
He has a cashier's check, I have the keys and title.
Should be a done deal tomorrow. Sniff sniff.:cry:

Beer-30
09-23-2007, 02:07 PM
SOLD SOLD SOLD
Schiada Time drove her away today.

Schiada Time
09-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Truly a beautiful truck, Paul. She drove like a dream on the way home. Its nice to be back in something lowered again and with the 4 tires out back it is extremely stable. I can't wait to tow with it. She's in good hands.
Travis

Beer-30
09-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Truly a beautiful truck, Paul. She drove like a dream on the way home. Its nice to be back in something lowered again and with the 4 tires out back it is extremely stable. I can't wait to tow with it. She's in good hands.
Travis
I'm glad you like it! I told you it rode good, didn't I? The ride has always been a stong point of that truck. Long wheel-base, air, proper shocks.

Schiada Time
09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I have walked out in the driveway about 6 times tonight to look at it. Probably one more before going to bed. Its sweet. :)
Travis

Beer-30
09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I used to do the same thing.

Schiada Time
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Mom and Dad stopped by the house today and they loved it. Its going to look real good towing my red and white Schiada V-drive cruiser.
Travis