PDA

View Full Version : Current Rain Season Second Driest On Record

RitcheyRch
03-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Guess I need to go out and do the rain dance. :D
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_060113742.html
Less than an inch of rain fell in downtown Los Angeles last month, helping make the current rain season the second driest on record, meteorologists said Thursday.
Despite this week's two weather systems, downtown received .92 inches of rain last month -- not the driest of Februaries but well below the normal of 3.68 inches, according to the National Weather Service.
February is generally the wettest month of the year in Los Angeles. Even with only 0.92 inches, last month was the wettest month of the current weather season, which starts July 1 and ends June 31, the NWS said in an advisory. In fact, this February was the wettest month since April.
"This season is currently the second driest rain season to date in downtown Los Angeles since records began in 1877," the advisory said, adding that so far this season the downtown area has received "a paltry" 2.42 inches of rain, only 22 per cent of what is normal.
The driest July-February period on record in downtown was in 1923-24, when, by this time of the year, the area had recorded only 1.82 inches of rain, according to the NWS.
During the driest season ever -- the 2001-02 season -- precipitation from July 1 to Feb. 28 totaled 3.95 inches in the downtown area.

Schiada76
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
The term is not "normal" it's "average". As in one year we get 40" of rain and another we get 4". The average is what that boob is talking about.:D

gramps
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
L.A. doens't have vrey many places to store rain. So. Cal. is dependent on other areas rainfall. You need to do the rain dance in Northern Cal. and western Colorado.

Rexone
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Not really true. Huge aquafiers underlie So cal and many cities get much of their water from wells supplimented the water from norcal, col. river, and owens river areas. That said, it's not a big deal in the long term scheme of things. A couple years ago we had the second wettest on record. As said it's an average. And so cal is essentially desert by nature. All you have to do is look at the natural plant life.

HavaTan
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
L.A. doens't have vrey many places to store rain. So. Cal. is dependent on other areas rainfall. You need to do the rain dance in Northern Cal. and western Colorado.
FINALLY!!! Yes, it's true, it doesn't really need to rain in SoCal at all, we own(steal) all of our water from NorCal and Colorado! I pray every year that Mammoth gets 50 feet of snow and Colorado and Utah too. However, it wouldn't bother me if it didn't rain here at all.
Besides, now we can look forward to... F I R E W A T C H 2 0 0 7 ! ! ! :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't buy it. Not for a second. Four or five years ago, we had so little rain (maybe 1/2 day total) that we did not have to spray for weeds on the property. If any of you have seen our property, you know why I remember that. It was a lovely spring not having to spend 3-4 weekends on the tractor and hand spraying. That was the driest winter we had. It has rained several times this winter, though not for days at a time, and a couple this year. They think we are mushrooms. :mad: