PDA

View Full Version : Got a Ride in a Trident yesterday

XTRM22
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I meant to post this last night, but I got sleepy, hmm to many tacos and beers. I ran into Wes yesterday afternoon at the car wash over on Mesquite. This was the first time I'd seen a Trident in person. Wes offered to take me for a test ride and I was a little reluctant do to the 30+mph winds. When I say a little reluctant to take a ride in a new custom boat, that means it took me 4 seconds to say yes rather then 1. I was really impressed with the rough water handling capabilities on this boat, upwind,down wind,cross wind I've never ridden in a more stable boat under 30 feet. The one he took me out in had the bravo drive and a Ilmor 550 having driven other deck boats with similar power 525, and 575, I thought the Trident pulled harder than anything I've experienced. The fit & finish and details were awesome. Wes had one of the twin turbo dual jet drive boats along too and while it stayed on the trailer, what a bad ass looking rig. You don't have to agree with Wes how he's guiding his business or his outlook on the boating industry, But he has a hull design that works and if I was ever in the market for a deckboat The Trident would be one of a very short list.
Chuck
I'd post a picture but my card reader died.:rolleyes:

Jordy
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I gotta drive one last weekend. ;)

RiverAddict
03-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I gotta drive one last weekend. ;)
I gotta drive two of them soo far.:) I have not driven the one you drove last weekend...yet.;)

phebus
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
The attention to detail is unreal, and everywhere you look is another cool feature. I really dig it, and if I had the money, I would buy one.

ClownRoyal
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
The attention to detail is unreal, and everywhere you look is another cool feature. I really dig it, and if I had the money, I would buy one.
You got the money. Baller. Can't take it with you ;). you could be hit by a Rhino tomorrow while coming out of Smiths (God forbid)

Jordy
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I gotta drive two of them soo far.:) I have not driven the one you drove last weekend...yet.;)
It's a blast to drive and I never had to touch the trim buttons from rolling out of the hole to running mid 70's with a bunch left. Turns like it's on rails. Really fun boat to drive!!! :D :D

phebus
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
You got the money. Baller. Can't take it with you ;). you could be hit by a Rhino tomorrow while coming out of Smiths (God forbid)
Now, if you had said snowbird, I'd beleive that. :D
My wife really loved the boat. It's funny, a while back someone posted they weren't sure if they liked the height of the drivers helm, but my wife (who doesn't come on ***boat thank God, and had never heard the comment), hopped in the boat and sat at the helm. She looked at Wes, and said "Wow, this is great, I can see over the bow so easy". Well, I almost spit out my beer. And, there must be a gazillion cup holders on that boat.

Mandelon
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
It's a blast to drive and I never had to touch the trim buttons from rolling out of the hole to running mid 70's with a bunch left. Turns like it's on rails. Really fun boat to drive!!! :D :D
How did you get it into the hole? That thing idles on plane. :D

XTRM22
03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Just figured out how to make my new camera link to my computer.:D
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/XTRM22/trident.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/XTRM22/trident2.jpg
Chuck

Jesster
03-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Now, if you had said snowbird, I'd beleive that. :D
My wife really loved the boat. It's funny, a while back someone posted they weren't sure if they liked the height of the drivers helm, but my wife (who doesn't come on ***boat thank God, and had never heard the comment), hopped in the boat and sat at the helm. She looked at Wes, and said "Wow, this is great, I can see over the bow so easy". Well, I almost spit out my beer. And, there must be a gazillion cup holders on that boat.
My problem with all the cup holders is I lose my beer, and then it's warm by the time I find it. :D But I still drink it!!!

BoneDaddy
03-03-2007, 12:25 AM
:D My problem with all the cup holders is I lose my beer, and then it's warm by the time I find it. :D But I still drink it!!!
That was my beer!:D

tntperformance
03-03-2007, 07:06 AM
You would think with the reviews on how well this boat works, someone would have takin the time to make it look good too.
All I can say is YUCK!:rolleyes:

Not So Fast
03-03-2007, 07:19 AM
You would think with the reviews on how well this boat works, someone would have takin the time to make it look good too.
Uh-oh !!!!!!! Here we go again. NSF

bigq
03-03-2007, 07:21 AM
It's a deck boat...think functionality:D and think boobs lots of BOOBS!!!:D

Todd969
03-03-2007, 07:23 AM
How could you say that? You have a Cheetah deck, so how exactly do you qualify to use the word YUCK?:D
Come down to the channel today and check it out up close.

Jordy
03-03-2007, 07:42 AM
and think boobs lots of BOOBS!!!:D
Wes has been 86'ed from Humbug for stealing all the boobs... :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25375&stc=1&d=1172936497
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25376&stc=1&d=1172936551

shadow
03-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I personally like the forward facing love seat at the helm and the couch
facing sideways.
Gotta love sitting on a sideways facing couch crusing 70mph through the chop.:jawdrop: :)

pixilatedpussy
03-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Great pics guys! Nice job Wes!;) ;)

hoolign
03-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion..just not you...about this. :D Brown is painting his Glastron - Carlson identically.. it's gonna be a big topic on ***boat! I'm estimating at least 19 pages of reviews and alot of input by Wes! :D

shadow
03-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion..just not you...about this. :D Brown is painting his Glastron - Carlson identically.. it's gonna be a big topic on ***boat! I'm estimating at least 19 pages of reviews and alot of input by Wes! :D
If Brown paints his Glastron identical he will be posting from a court room cause Wes will be sueing over copyrighted graphics.Remember noone is allowed to use those graphics without facing some serious legal ramifacations.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Not So Fast
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
facing sideways.
Gotta love sitting on a sideways facing couch crusing 70mph through the chop.:jawdrop: :)
You are kiddin right Shadow?? NSF

hoolign
03-03-2007, 09:42 AM
If Brown paints his Glastron identical he will be posting from a court room cause Wes will be sueing over copyrighted graphics.Remember noone is allowed to use those graphics without legal ramifacations.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Hence the " least 19 pages of reviews and alot of input by Wes!" :D :D Brown aint big on laws..he makes his own! I do belive that Brown has his own laws about people telling him what he can and can't do :D

playdeep
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
So,now that the Spectre is gone...you buying a Trident?:D

Jordy
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
I do belive that Brown has his own laws about people telling him what he can and can't do :D
Yeah, Brown and Chuck Norris. :D :D :D

BadKachina
03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Hence the " least 19 pages of reviews and alot of input by Wes!" :D :D Brown aint big on laws..he makes his own! I do belive that Brown has his own laws about people telling him what he can and can't do :D
Canadians are above the law. Jordy I was out there Sunday and didn't see you in the Trident, did Wes make you lie on the floor until he got away from the dock?

shadow
03-03-2007, 09:56 AM
You are kiddin right Shadow?? NSF
Absolutely not! there are several pages of the similarities of the Trident & Nike.
If you copy the graphics of either one you will find yourself in court.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is for all of those folks who are legitimately miffed over my participation in threads about other manufacturers, and my comments with regard to splashed gelcoat.
For those not aware... "splashing" is a term that basically legitimizes to a degree the theft of other peoples designs. Be it a bottom, gelcoat or feature. The industry uses this term because stealing sounds too bad. Jokes have been made about it, and allegations have been thrown around regarding who splashed who, but the fact is the entire industry was basically founded on the notion.
If you are new here, I will give you a little background on me. When I first came on here, I was an active duty US Navy SEAL stationed in Coronado at SEAL Team One. I had been the unfortunate recipient of two very painful parachute crashes during night combat equipment jumps. During these accidents I wrecked my left foot and my left hand. Rehab has brought me back 80% or so. I was getting out of the Navy with a medical retirement and getting into music production (another creative based industry). Long story short, I bought an Ultra new and came on here to get with river people for trips and socializing.
For the next couple of years I was spending a lot of time in the management end of the boat business. I was suprised at the mis-management and undercapitalization that was going on in the industry, and felt that bringing solid business practices and innovation to it would pay off well. After a couple of false starts with other manufacturers, my investors and I decided to start our own company focusing on the hottest and least well developed segment of the industry, the deckboat market.
We would build one boat, and build it for the express purpose of being the best deckboat in the world. It would be specifically designed from keel up to suit this purpose, unlike the others that were in the industry that were universally an adaptation of a previously existing performance hull design.
One major drawback to this industry is the lack of apparent protection of your Intellectual Property, commonly called the "IP". Any innovation in this segment would put the generator of it at a clear advantage with so many offerings that were essentially similar, short of options and aesthetic. The problem is, that usually before your paint is dry on the plug, the concept can and has been reproduced on a competing manufacturer's boat. Obviously, with such a quick normalization of advantage, it doesn't pay very well to innovate. I doubt highly that Talon is getting paid for every Conquest or Eliminator that rolls off the line, though they all admittedly share the Talon bottom. This was an unacceptable problem for my investors.
If we were going to innovate, we had to protect our designs. One of the first investments we made into Trident, aside from our styling from Rob King and our bottom from Ron Holder was to protect our designs legally. "IP Protection" is a huge business practiced by all major corporations. The ability to protect good ideas is what brings companies like Guess, Oakley, Chevy, Nike, Asics etc... to the top. If you pay to innovate, you can keep others away from your ideas. That is why you don't "Just do it" with a Payless shoe source shoe. While imitations and fakes are prevalent, they are illegal and are prosectued all the time with amazing results.
We have patents in application and copyrights and trademarks awarded for our bottom, our drop down front ramp design, our particular brand of the walk around swimstep, the layout of the interior, the name, logo and slogan. Our graphics are protected under both copyright and trademark law, as they are not only proprietary, but contain our trademark of the stylized three pointed spear. (Any arguments with regard to the ownership can feel free to reference Nike, whos swoosh and name are in reference to the Greek god "Nike" who was the goddess of victory.)
Now, with regard to "splashing"... It is currently accepted grudgingly that if you have a cool gelcoat design, it will be splashed by damn near every builder, but you can rest assured that Commander, Sleekcraft/Magic and Shockwave will be fighting over who gets it first. Two boats that I have either designed 100% or played a heavy role in designing were my last Ultra, a closed deck 21XS and Darryl Robinson's 27 Shadow. Within a month of my 21XS hitting the magazine where it was featured there were a couple of splashes of it already, Shockwave being the most notable not only for it's blatent ripoff, but the astounding bad rendition of it. Fortunately, talent kept this design from being well ripped off because with 18 crossovers per side, it was too expensive for most to attempt. The second was Darryl's, which was nearly directly copied by Nordic, Eliminator, Cheetah, Commander etc... Same colors, same scheme. Darryl was fumed, as was I. That was about the time I started looking into protection.
A couple of rumours are running around out there regarding getting around IP law as well. The infamous 10% rule stands out. The imaginary 10% rule allegedly states that any design changed more than 10% is considered a new design. This is a complete falacy. There is no such rule anywhere in copyright law. There are only a few guidelines for change...
One is that in the case of artwork or trademark, a competing design cannot draw confusion in the eyes of a jury. So, lets say for example, I own a 27 foot Cat, an Ultra for example, and I was to put a proprietary, protected design on it. If another boat company copied that design, and put it on, oh... let's say a 27' Commander, or Cheetah or something and put the two next to each other in front of a jury and a non-boater is confused with regard to which is which. Copyright infringement. Little known fact on this though. If the design WASN'T protected, you could still write a cease and desist and win, they just couldn't use it again. If you are protected however, you can sue in the first instance for $150,000.
Without going too deeply into the specifics, as it doesn't serve my purpose to explain the ways around the laws, let's leave it at if you can show confusion between the designs, you can win the case.
Much more of our stuff is very creatively protected. Gauge bezels, design patents instead of utility patents, proportions and such will protect nearly everything innovative against infringement. We have gone very far out of our way to ensure that we have not infringed on anyone elses IP as well. We have done searches of our trademarked graphics, and to the best of our knowledge are absolutely the first.
I intend to protect my designs. I can either be blunt and do stupid threats of violence or vandalism, as has been leveled against my business before, or I can use the only legal way, which is the court system. I haven't dumped damn near $750,000 into innovation to have it wasted on the undeserving. I have drawn a clear distinction from a styling, performance, construction, safety, drive, interior and quality level with everything in the business. You are either going to love the Revolution or you won't. If you do, you won't find anything in the industry remotely like it. If you don't, your tastes will be well served.
We have deliberately put ourselves beside the industry as you know it and not in it. We are taking our time developing the boat so that our clients aren't F'ed when stuff that hasn't been well thought out doesn't work. We are testing our designs thoroughly and have since the beginning. Ask anyone on these forums who we have worked with if I have sent good stuff back to the drawing board time and again because it wasn't right. I have over $40,000 worth of gear upstairs that will not go into a Revolution because I don't believe in it, or it wasn't the right part for the job. Anyone want to buy a killer set of stainless Hi-Tec headers for a BBC? I have them. How about three different helm configurations only to settle on a hydraulic system for the jet?
Innovation is only rewarded if you get to capitalize on it. If you boaters are happy tooling around in 5500 plus pound deckboats, then I am sure that our 3800 pound boat fully equipped won't be that big a deal for you. If 0-60 times up near 18 seconds with 12 second time to planes are fine, then our 1.2 second time to plane and one-third the 0-60 time will be of little use to you.
You want to talk about what we have done? Come down and take a ride first. You want to speak from ignorance? Keep talking about how you would never buy a boat from someone threatening to sue over a copyright infringement.
The best case scenario for me is for nobody to steal gelcoat from anyone anymore. The most innovative and creative artists will have the best looking boats. They will in turn attract the most creative gelcoaters. The copycats will look dated while the innovators will look fresh... as it should be. Perhaps my education of the industry with regard to how much protection artists have will have an effect. Time will tell. All I know for sure is, I have made my point, because anytime the subject of splashing shows up, someone half-jokes that I would sue.
Will I piss off the industry the first time I sue someone for stealing my stuff? Sure. I don't have a problem with that. I additionally don't have a problem if people start having to own up to morality issues I see happenning in the industry such as funding the loan on boats before they are constructed (and insuring them as well BTW...) or trade-in fraud.
If anyone wants to come on this thread and bash me for being vocal in any thread about other manufacturers stealing... bring it on. I was a member here and vocal about splashing since WAY before I was a boat builder. I retain my right to have an opinion on here, and understand that it is a reflection of my company. That every post I make represents Trident is clear to me, which is why I choose my words more carefully now, and choose my battles even more so.
So, here is me donning my flameproof suit. Get after it ladies and gentlemen.
Trident Custom Boats

hoolign
03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Brown has no time or patience for Norris! I heard brown was watching Walker -Texas Ranger once..did a round house of his couch.. and Norris bled..on set for two days!

echo
03-03-2007, 10:46 AM
facing sideways.
No doubt about it, you seem like good people,but you have a real problem with Trident.

AZKC
03-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah but they both report to Mr Anderson:devil: :D

ULTRA26 # 1
03-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Just figured out how to make my new camera link to my computer.:D
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k49/XTRM22/trident.jpg
Chuck
Isn't that boat going to take on water at the port rear if the driver doesn't stop just right? I've never seen anything like that before. Is it me or does having the hull cut so low, at port rear, look odd? Very different.
JM

Jordy
03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Isn't that boat going to take on water at the port rear if the driver doesn't stop just right?
Not at all. With as little as the hull drafts, there is as much, if not more freeboard on that hull design as just about any other boat out there. Been out a couple times on that boat and never seen a drop of water on that back wrap-around. ;)

hoolign
03-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Absolutely not! there are several pages of the similarities of the Trident & Nike.
If you copy the graphics of either one you will find yourself in court.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is for all of those folks who are legitimately miffed over my participation in threads about other manufacturers, and my comments with regard to splashed gelcoat.
For those not aware... "splashing" is a term that basically legitimizes to a degree the theft of other peoples designs. Be it a bottom, gelcoat or feature. The industry uses this term because stealing sounds too bad. Jokes have been made about it, and allegations have been thrown around regarding who splashed who, but the fact is the entire industry was basically founded on the notion.
If you are new here, I will give you a little background on me. When I first came on here, I was an active duty US Navy SEAL stationed in Coronado at SEAL Team One. I had been the unfortunate recipient of two very painful parachute crashes during night combat equipment jumps. During these accidents I wrecked my left foot and my left hand. Rehab has brought me back 80% or so. I was getting out of the Navy with a medical retirement and getting into music production (another creative based industry). Long story short, I bought an Ultra new and came on here to get with river people for trips and socializing.
For the next couple of years I was spending a lot of time in the management end of the boat business. I was suprised at the mis-management and undercapitalization that was going on in the industry, and felt that bringing solid business practices and innovation to it would pay off well. After a couple of false starts with other manufacturers, my investors and I decided to start our own company focusing on the hottest and least well developed segment of the industry, the deckboat market.
We would build one boat, and build it for the express purpose of being the best deckboat in the world. It would be specifically designed from keel up to suit this purpose, unlike the others that were in the industry that were universally an adaptation of a previously existing performance hull design.
One major drawback to this industry is the lack of apparent protection of your Intellectual Property, commonly called the "IP". Any innovation in this segment would put the generator of it at a clear advantage with so many offerings that were essentially similar, short of options and aesthetic. The problem is, that usually before your paint is dry on the plug, the concept can and has been reproduced on a competing manufacturer's boat. Obviously, with such a quick normalization of advantage, it doesn't pay very well to innovate. I doubt highly that Talon is getting paid for every Conquest or Eliminator that rolls off the line, though they all admittedly share the Talon bottom. This was an unacceptable problem for my investors.
If we were going to innovate, we had to protect our designs. One of the first investments we made into Trident, aside from our styling from Rob King and our bottom from Ron Holder was to protect our designs legally. "IP Protection" is a huge business practiced by all major corporations. The ability to protect good ideas is what brings companies like Guess, Oakley, Chevy, Nike, Asics etc... to the top. If you pay to innovate, you can keep others away from your ideas. That is why you don't "Just do it" with a Payless shoe source shoe. While imitations and fakes are prevalent, they are illegal and are prosectued all the time with amazing results.
We have patents in application and copyrights and trademarks awarded for our bottom, our drop down front ramp design, our particular brand of the walk around swimstep, the layout of the interior, the name, logo and slogan. Our graphics are protected under both copyright and trademark law, as they are not only proprietary, but contain our trademark of the stylized three pointed spear. (Any arguments with regard to the ownership can feel free to reference Nike, whos swoosh and name are in reference to the Greek god "Nike" who was the goddess of victory.)
Now, with regard to "splashing"... It is currently accepted grudgingly that if you have a cool gelcoat design, it will be splashed by damn near every builder, but you can rest assured that Commander, Sleekcraft/Magic and Shockwave will be fighting over who gets it first. Two boats that I have either designed 100% or played a heavy role in designing were my last Ultra, a closed deck 21XS and Darryl Robinson's 27 Shadow. Within a month of my 21XS hitting the magazine where it was featured there were a couple of splashes of it already, Shockwave being the most notable not only for it's blatent ripoff, but the astounding bad rendition of it. Fortunately, talent kept this design from being well ripped off because with 18 crossovers per side, it was too expensive for most to attempt. The second was Darryl's, which was nearly directly copied by Nordic, Eliminator, Cheetah, Commander etc... Same colors, same scheme. Darryl was fumed, as was I. That was about the time I started looking into protection.
A couple of rumours are running around out there regarding getting around IP law as well. The infamous 10% rule stands out. The imaginary 10% rule allegedly states that any design changed more than 10% is considered a new design. This is a complete falacy. There is no such rule anywhere in copyright law. There are only a few guidelines for change...
One is that in the case of artwork or trademark, a competing design cannot draw confusion in the eyes of a jury. So, lets say for example, I own a 27 foot Cat, an Ultra for example, and I was to put a proprietary, protected design on it. If another boat company copied that design, and put it on, oh... let's say a 27' Commander, or Cheetah or something and put the two next to each other in front of a jury and a non-boater is confused with regard to which is which. Copyright infringement. Little known fact on this though. If the design WASN'T protected, you could still write a cease and desist and win, they just couldn't use it again. If you are protected however, you can sue in the first instance for $150,000.
Without going too deeply into the specifics, as it doesn't serve my purpose to explain the ways around the laws, let's leave it at if you can show confusion between the designs, you can win the case.
Much more of our stuff is very creatively protected. Gauge bezels, design patents instead of utility patents, proportions and such will protect nearly everything innovative against infringement. We have gone very far out of our way to ensure that we have not infringed on anyone elses IP as well. We have done searches of our trademarked graphics, and to the best of our knowledge are absolutely the first.
I intend to protect my designs. I can either be blunt and do stupid threats of violence or vandalism, as has been leveled against my business before, or I can use the only legal way, which is the court system. I haven't dumped damn near $750,000 into innovation to have it wasted on the undeserving. I have drawn a clear distinction from a styling, performance, construction, safety, drive, interior and quality level with everything in the business. You are either going to love the Revolution or you won't. If you do, you won't find anything in the industry remotely like it. If you don't, your tastes will be well served.
We have deliberately put ourselves beside the industry as you know it and not in it. We are taking our time developing the boat so that our clients aren't F'ed when stuff that hasn't been well thought out doesn't work. We are testing our designs thoroughly and have since the beginning. Ask anyone on these forums who we have worked with if I have sent good stuff back to the drawing board time and again because it wasn't right. I have over $40,000 worth of gear upstairs that will not go into a Revolution because I don't believe in it, or it wasn't the right part for the job. Anyone want to buy a killer set of stainless Hi-Tec headers for a BBC? I have them. How about three different helm configurations only to settle on a hydraulic system for the jet?
Innovation is only rewarded if you get to capitalize on it. If you boaters are happy tooling around in 5500 plus pound deckboats, then I am sure that our 3800 pound boat fully equipped won't be that big a deal for you. If 0-60 times up near 18 seconds with 12 second time to planes are fine, then our 1.2 second time to plane and one-third the 0-60 time will be of little use to you.
You want to talk about what we have done? Come down and take a ride first. You want to speak from ignorance? Keep talking about how you would never buy a boat from someone threatening to sue over a copyright infringement.
The best case scenario for me is for nobody to steal gelcoat from anyone anymore. The most innovative and creative artists will have the best looking boats. They will in turn attract the most creative gelcoaters. The copycats will look dated while the innovators will look fresh... as it should be. Perhaps my education of the industry with regard to how much protection artists have will have an effect. Time will tell. All I know for sure is, I have made my point, because anytime the subject of splashing shows up, someone half-jokes that I would sue.
Will I piss off the industry the first time I sue someone for stealing my stuff? Sure. I don't have a problem with that. I additionally don't have a problem if people start having to own up to morality issues I see happenning in the industry such as funding the loan on boats before they are constructed (and insuring them as well BTW...) or trade-in fraud.
If anyone wants to come on this thread and bash me for being vocal in any thread about other manufacturers stealing... bring it on. I was a member here and vocal about splashing since WAY before I was a boat builder. I retain my right to have an opinion on here, and understand that it is a reflection of my company. That every post I make represents Trident is clear to me, which is why I choose my words more carefully now, and choose my battles even more so.
So, here is me donning my flameproof suit. Get after it ladies and gentlemen.
Trident Custom Boats
Well theres the clincher...Brown told me he's naming his boat "Tridemt" and the graphics which may be similar in design, will contain ghost images of 160 foot grain elevators. yeah..Wes didnt think of everything! :mad:

wsuwrhr
03-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Not at all. With as little as the hull drafts, there is as much, if not more freeboard on that hull design as just about any other boat out there. Been out a couple times on that boat and never seen a drop of water on that back wrap-around. ;)
Yea, exactly what he said.

ULTRA26 # 1
03-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Jordy,
Thanks for the info. Amazing
John M

Not So Fast
03-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Sort of looks like my old Rinker Flotilla with the wrap around? Not my cup of tea but I wish them the best of luck in a very tough market. Good luck! NSF

Jesster
03-04-2007, 10:02 AM
No doubt about it, you seem like good people,but you have a real problem with Trident.
I agree, Shadow needs to leave well enough alone, Christ I dont see him post much until something about Trident comes up then here comes another opinion from his sorry ass. Momma always said "if you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all." :D I personally liked to hear about the progress of the Revolution but Shadow and a couple others took the Rhetoric to the point that Wes hardly posts anymore. I think there are a lot more that like to hear about Trident than don't, so as far as Im concerned the Trident haters should quit reading threads that involve Trident or just SHUT UP We all know how the haters feel, they dont have to remind us every time there is a Trident thread.
Now go ahead and defend yourself with some shiat about putting you on an ignore list, it doesnt matter, I still say shut up about Trident and Wes, post about anything else, I like to read those, I think your opinion about everything else is interseting but I am sick of the HATTING.
Now I will step off my soap box, and continue with regularly sheduled reading.
If I see you (Shadow) at the turtle I'll buy you a beer. :D :D

RiverOtter
03-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Question about the Trident ride and handling....
From this pic it appears most of the passenger weight is on the starboard side. How does that effect the ride / handling. Did Trident add weight to the port side to compensate, use trim tabs, or was it not needed?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_1775.jpg?t=1172967586

wsuwrhr
03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I cannot answer all of your questions, but I can tell you the red/white Revolution or any other Revolution that I know of, does not employ trim tabs.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but it is a tri-hydro hull, not a cat, like it appears.
I hope that helps a little. Doubtful Wes will chime in here anymore, but you can email any questions to him and I am sure he will respond.
edit: crap at 5,000 posts plus, I am sure you knew all the information I gave you, anyway, just trying to help out.
Trident Custom Boats (http://www.tridentcustomboats.com)
Brian
From this pic it appears most of the passenger weight is on the starboard side. How does that effect the ride / handling. Did Trident add weight to the port side to compensate, use trim tabs, or was it not needed?

RiverOtter
03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I cannot answer all of your questions, but I can tell you the red/white Revolution or any other Revolution that I know of, does not employ trim tabs.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but it is a tri-hydro hull, not a cat, like it appears.
I hope that helps a little. Doubtful Wes will chime in here anymore, but you can email any questions to him and I am sure he will respond.
edit: crap at 5,000 posts plus, I am sure you knew all the information I gave you, anyway, just trying to help out.
Trident Custom Boats (http://www.tridentcustomboats.com)
Brian
What??? You never heard of me :D . I've seen that interior "design" on other boats as well (Formula to mention 1), just not on a high performance west coast cat type hull. From my experience (I've only ridden in 1 cat type hulled deckboat) more weight on one side seems to affect the ride / handling. I didnt really follow the public lynching of Froggy so I didn't know he didn't post anymore. My post was not a slam on Trident just a question.

BadKachina
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I think it uses an air-bag self leveling system. :idea: :)

RiverOtter
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
I think it uses an air-bag self leveling system. :idea: :)
:notam:

ULTRA26 # 1
03-04-2007, 03:13 PM
What exactly is a "tri hydro hull"?
Thanks
JM

XTRM22
03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
What??? You never heard of me :D . I've seen that interior "design" on other boats as well (Formula to mention 1), just not on a high performance west coast cat type hull. From my experience (I've only ridden in 1 cat type hulled deckboat) more weight on one side seems to affect the ride / handling. I didnt really follow the public lynching of Froggy so I didn't know he didn't post anymore. My post was not a slam on Trident just a question.
The Trident is designed to ride much more like a 3 point Hydro, where ( in my simpletons understanding it rides primarily on realatively flat sections of the front sponsons and the the center sponson and cavitation plate at the rear. A Vee loaded the way that picture is shown would list seriously to starboard, a normal tunnel hull wouldn't have to compensate much, and a hyro design (like the Trident) shouldn't have to compensate at all. I think Wes may have been a Johnny Quest fan and the Trident was as close as he could design to the "West Hydo Foil" design.:D
Chuck

XTRM22
03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
What exactly is a "tri hydro hull"?
Thanks
JM
Think Unlimited Hydro, Or TAF Top Alcohol Hydro whwere the planing surface is the front section of the sponsons and the drive itself.
Watch the video from one of the poker runs ssome time and watch "Predator" coming at cha. For lack of a better way of describinbg it it looks like two ice skates that run the length of the hull that the boat rides on. The theory behind the three point is that it rides much like a typical tunnel in the front but has a third point in the rear that adds to stability.
Chuck

OutCole'd
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I thought this Red & White Trident sold to a board member???

Boa1277
03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a very wise man told me if you dont have something good to say, then dont say it. It says alot about a person that needs to start arguments and put down other peoples true passion. The bottom line is people who act and talk like this are obviously very very unhappy and it shows in their behavior. Froggy if you read this do not let other people get you down. You have a great product and I really liked watching it come alive here on Hot Boat. Anyone that has a passion for boating and creating a beautiful boat like you have should be very proud. Just remember if alls they can do is put you down, there is a reason for it, just go to bed smilling because you know they arent.:)

jbtrailerjim
03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought this Red & White Trident sold to a board member???
Yeah, I thought so too. I thought al Cole'holic was going to be the owner of that boat.:confused:

dicudmore
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I thought so too. I thought al Cole'holic was going to be the owner of that boat.:confused:
that is the boat--Chris wound up passing on it after investing in some more real estate...Dan <----asked Wes that same question yesterday

jbtrailerjim
03-04-2007, 09:59 PM
that is the boat--Chris wound up passing on it after investing in some more real estate...Dan <----asked Wes that same question yesterday
Well that sucks for Wes unless he already has sold that boat to someone else.

ULTRA26 # 1
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Think Unlimited Hydro, Or TAF Top Alcohol Hydro whwere the planing surface is the front section of the sponsons and the drive itself.
Watch the video from one of the poker runs ssome time and watch "Predator" coming at cha. For lack of a better way of describinbg it it looks like two ice skates that run the length of the hull that the boat rides on. The theory behind the three point is that it rides much like a typical tunnel in the front but has a third point in the rear that adds to stability.
Chuck
Thanks for the info. Never saw it that way and I will check it out
John M

dicudmore
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Chuck
don't know how it works--haven't had a ride in it myself YET but I know he was out saturday runnin' it hard and most everybody else was hanging in the channel

shadow
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I agree, Shadow needs to leave well enough alone, Christ I dont see him post much until something about Trident comes up then here comes another opinion from his sorry ass. Momma always said "if you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all." :D I personally liked to hear about the progress of the Revolution but Shadow and a couple others took the Rhetoric to the point that Wes hardly posts anymore. I think there are a lot more that like to hear about Trident than don't, so as far as Im concerned the Trident haters should quit reading threads that involve Trident or just SHUT UP We all know how the haters feel, they dont have to remind us every time there is a Trident thread.
Now go ahead and defend yourself with some shiat about putting you on an ignore list, it doesnt matter, I still say shut up about Trident and Wes, post about anything else, I like to read those, I think your opinion about everything else is interseting but I am sick of the HATTING.
Now I will step off my soap box, and continue with regularly sheduled reading.
If I see you (Shadow) at the turtle I'll buy you a beer. :D :D
:rolleyes: ;)
I'll give you the low down over that beer one of these days.

Doctor Kenneth Noisewater
03-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Wes, it was great seeing you out there Sunday. The boat looked amazing, I haven't seen anything like it.

Keith E. Sayre
03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
The one thing that Wes brings to the table is a desire to
build the best deckboat on the planet regardless of cost.
Unfortunately, along the way there will be bumps in the
road and some will see these bumps in the road and exploit
them for their own personal gain. I believe that Wes will
see these bumps as insignifcant and he'll learn from them
but they won't slow him down. While he is extremely passionate about his boat, he's learning quicker than most
and he'll end up being a very positive influence in this
business. I visited with him last week and had dinner with
him and I admire his drive and determination.
Keith Sayre

phebus
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
The one thing that Wes brings to the table is a desire to
build the best deckboat on the planet regardless of cost.
Unfortunately, along the way there will be bumps in the
road and some will see these bumps in the road and exploit
them for their own personal gain. I believe that Wes will
see these bumps as insignifcant and he'll learn from them
but they won't slow him down. While he is extremely passionate about his boat, he's learning quicker than most
and he'll end up being a very positive influence in this
business. I visited with him last week and had dinner with
him and I admire his drive and determination.
Keith Sayre
Great post!!

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
I personally think that cost is too high for what it is and what it can do.
my .02
there is one thing that i think is cool ablout it, and now you will see it on other deck boats is the front step. other then that is does nothing for me.

Mandelon
03-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Great post!!
Ass kisser.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
nevermind.
RD

phebus
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I personally think that cost is too high for what it is and what it can do.
my .02
there is one thing that i think is cool ablout it, and now you will see it on other deck boats is the front step. other then that is does nothing for me.
I'm curious about this. What do you think a Howard, Conquest, or Magic would cost with a Ilmor motor, Teague drive, hydraulic steering, labbed prop, killer stereo, Autometer gauges, extinguishing system, Extreme trailer, yada yada yada? And that's just a start, the Trident is full of options.
Just curious, but I think you would be surprised.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm curious about this. What do you think a Howard, Conquest, or Magic would cost with a Ilmor motor, Teague drive, hydraulic steering, labbed prop, killer stereo, Autometer gauges, extinguishing system, Extreme trailer, yada yada yada? And that's just a start, the Trident is full of options.
I know what they cost. Im just a lil guy in his canoe. I cant have any of them right now, but when I do go to buy one. it wont be a trident, conquest, magic, or howard. Everyone is entitled to thier opinions. And opinions are like A$$holes. Everyones got one and thiers doesnt stink.
look at your boat for instince phebus. Its a great looking boat and does everything you want it to. Right? For a shit load less then a trident. Even brand new im sure they are less then 170k

shadow
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I know what they cost. Im just a lil guy in his canoe. I cant have any of them right now, but when I do go to buy one. it wont be a trident, conquest, magic, or howard. Everyone is entitled to thier opinions. And opinions are like A$$holes. Everyones got one and thiers doesnt stink.
look at your boat for instince phebus. Its a great looking boat and does everything you want it to. Right? For a shit load less then a trident. Even brand new im sure they are less then 170k
YOU HATER!:D

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 01:30 PM
YOU HATER!:D
Only on Tuesdays!!!

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 01:42 PM
And for the record i just made an offer on one. and your not allowed to ride in it. :)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_1800.jpg?t=1173056920

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I think the cost would be competitive, it's just what percentage of those buyers buy their boat full spec like that?
My guess most buy with a 496HO package and a decent stereo.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 01:58 PM
I think the cost would be competitive, it's just what percentage of those buyers buy their boat full spec like that?
My guess most buy with a 496HO package and a decent stereo.
For the 120-130k range and add to it as they go. right?

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 01:59 PM
With a 496 I would guess it would be in the real low 100's.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-06-2007, 02:19 PM
At that LA Boat Show a base Howard deck with 496 power started at $101k.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
So my point is this. If you can have a hull like Howard for 101k with a 496 why spend 70k more?
Anyone know what the Howard runs with a 496?

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
So my point is this. If you can have a hull like Howard for 101k with a 496 why spend 70k more?
But the reason that the price on the Trident is what it is, is becuase it comes standard with alot of things that the Howard doesn't have. If you made them equal then I think the Howard would be more $$.
RD

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Damn, I'm good.:D

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
But the reason that the price on the Trident is what it is, is becuase it comes standard with alot of things that the Howard doesn't have. If you made them equal then I think the Howard would be more $$.
RD
Again, I like the Trident & think Wes has done a great job. I'm just curious how many Deck boat buyers are buying their boats full spec loaded to the gills with all the features that are standard with the Trident, and how many are just buying a nice boat like the Howard with a 496HO and calling it good.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Again, I like the Trident & think Wes has done a great job. I'm just curious how many Deck boat buyers are buying their boats full spec loaded to the gills with all the features that are standard with the Trident, and how many are just buying a nice boat like the Howard with a 496HO and calling it good.
Why only sell them " loaded to the gills" at 170k? if i was looking at decks and i could buy a boat from a builder like howard that has been around since 1959 for 101k and run 80mph with a 496 or maybe 115k with a 525. why buy a
170k boat? Im sure that boaters that are buying deck boats dont want a 170k boat loaded with like trident.

djunkie
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Why only sell them " loaded to the gills" at 170k? if i was looking at decks and i could buy a boat from a builder like howard that has been around since 1959 for 101k and run 80mph with a 496 or maybe 115k with a 525. why buy a
170k boat? Im sure that boaters that are buying deck boats dont want a 170k boat loaded with like trident.
Do a search on Trident and start reading. This subject has been beat to death.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
496 = 65-68
496 HO = 68-70
Of course that is dependet upon fuel load and all the other stuff you've got on board in addition to peeps.....

phebus
03-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't know where the 170k price is coming from. The boat at Havasu was quoted at a much lower price.
Most of the 28' deckboats I have priced, are around 95-100k with a 496HO, and I think once you up the power to a 525, you are looking at around 125k (XR and external steering)

Havasu_Dreamin
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't know where the 170k price is coming from. The boat at Havasu was quoted at a much lower price.
Perhaps things have changed but the intial price quoted for the Trident in the original emails that were sent to members of the email list was $169k.....

hoolign
03-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Perhaps things have changed but the intial price quoted for the Trident in the original emails that were sent to members of the email list was $169k.....
Is that with a full tank?

phebus
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
As the Trident has evolved, I believe the pricing has too. Original was with the twin jet and dual turbo motor, perhaps the new package is priced differently.

Mr. Crusader 83
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
i was told on sunday that the boat that was out there brand new was 170. his is for sale for 129k on his site.

ULTRA26 # 1
03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
What kind of speed was the Revolution running last weekend?
JM

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
What kind of speed was the Revolution running last weekend?
JM
From what I understand, the Red & White one will run in the low 90's.:D

phebus
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
At one point in the weekend, I hit the tattle tale for the speedo, and it read 93, and there wasn't any good water to be found.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Ya know I just called Wes to see how much he's actually selling the boats for and he just told me:
Brand new fully loaded is 149K which honestly doesn't sound that bad for a 90+ mph deck with all the things the Trident has on it.
The red / white boat is for sale at 135K becuase it's a Demo boat.
He mentioned that they were building a more bare bones version of the boat with a 496HO for 112K.
That pricing doesn't sound to outta whack to me, given what everyone else is charging for 27-28' Deck boats?
RD

Biglue
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Ya know I just called Wes to see how much he's actually selling the boats for and he just told me:
Brand new fully loaded is 149K which honestly doesn't sound that bad for a 90+ mph deck with all the things the Trident has on it.
He mentioned that they were building a more bare bones version of the boat with a 496HO for 112K.
That pricing doesn't sound to outta whack to me, given what everyone else is charging for 27-28' Deck boats?
RD
Is he offer Mercury power plants after all?

OutCole'd
03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
RD
Now he's talking. He should start moving boats.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Is he offer Mercury power plants after all?
That's what he told me Merc 496HO / XR for 112K
RD

Biglue
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
RD
I think that was a good move for him. Some people would probably not buy a Trident for insurance cost reasons with the bigger power.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I think that was a good move for him. Some people would probably not buy a Trident for insurance cost reasons with the bigger power.
From what he's been preaching in the past the insurance is cheap on the boat becuase it's not a cat or a tunnel and it's registered under (I think don't quote me on this) a runabout class. That being said Insurance should be like 600 bucks a year maybe a little more becuase of the high replacement value? Thousands less then a typical tunnel though.
RD

Music to my Ears
03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
RD
I was on the boat this last Saturday as well, and Wes quoted me the same thing. 149K fully loaded with the Ilmore.

Biglue
03-06-2007, 04:13 PM
From what he's been preaching in the past the insurance is cheap on the boat becuase it's not a cat or a tunnel and it's registered under (I think don't quote me on this) a runabout class. That being said Insurance should be like 600 bucks a year maybe a little more becuase of the high replacement value? Thousands less then a typical tunnel though.
RD
Interesting. I always assumed it was a cat. Guess I was wrong.

phebus
03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Interesting. I always assumed it was a cat. Guess I was wrong.
It is actually a Ron Holder designed tri-hydro hull, not a cat

Biglue
03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
It is actually a Ron Holder designed tri-hydro hull, not a cat
Gotcha. Just got into that mindset for some reason.
How's your Mrs. BTW? Did she ever get her cast off her wrist? She was a pretty good sport about the humor a few weeks ago when I met you guys in the channel. lol.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I was on the boat this last Saturday as well, and Wes quoted me the same thing. 149K fully loaded with the Ilmore.
Did you ride in it? What did you think?
RD

phebus
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Gotcha. Just got into that mindset for some reason.
How's your Mrs. BTW? Did she ever get her cast off her wrist? She was a pretty good sport about the humor a few weeks ago when I met you guys in the channel. lol.
Not her, but if you want me to clear up the confusion, I'll go break her arm. :D
It was a pleasure meeting you.

EmpirE231
03-06-2007, 04:29 PM
RD
shouldn't have said that on here... more fuel for the haters.

Biglue
03-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Not her, but if you want me to clear up the confusion, I'll go break her arm. :D
It was a pleasure meeting you.
Oh shit, sorry. LOL. I thought that was your wife. And no need to break her arm I'll make some flash cards with names and pictures next time. :D
Twas good meeting you as well. Fun crowd that weekend. Met several new folks that day.

shadow
03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
shouldn't have said that on here... more fuel for the haters.

RiverDave
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe somone shouldn't have said merc could suck thier nuts:idea:
I think it was "Hug my nuts" but that's just all symantics.. LOL :D
RD

shadow
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I think it was "Hug my nuts" but that's just all symantics.. LOL :D
RD
I would like to take that statement back anyways i told myself i was gonna try and be nice.

Havasu1986
03-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe somone shouldn't have said merc could suck thier nuts:idea:
Go to the gym Darrel and stay away from this thread.:D

shadow
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Go to the gym Darrel and stay away from this thread.:D
You got it.;)

Music to my Ears
03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Did you ride in it? What did you think?
RD
Extremely solid. Great acceleration, little to no bow rise and handled the fairly windy conditions with ease. Don't believe that I will be purchasing a deck soon but there's little doubt that it's a well built boat.

J540
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Why buy a SKATER when you can buy a DCB cheaper, Right, It does the same thing. And they are both composite, vacuum bagged type layup's. NO?
IDUNO.

mbrown2
03-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Why buy a SKATER when you can buy a DCB cheaper, Right, It does the same thing.
Cause one's name is built on racing while the other has racing in its name...:)

Jordy
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Cause one's name is built on racing while the other has racing in its name...:)
Now that's funny right there!!! :D :D :D