PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference in schiada's

DOHARA
07-30-2003, 05:39 AM
I am looking to purchase a shiada in the near future. Just wondering what the difference is between a day cruiser and river cruiser, and pro's and con's. Also how are campbell v-drives?
I have a 21 foot jet and hate the way it handles in chop. Any info helping me make a decission would be great.
thanks,
DANO

SCHIADA 21 RC
07-30-2003, 07:28 AM
DOHARA,
If you are going to buy a 21 V-Drive the Schiada has the best ride by far. Over the years I have owned a 20 foot Mach 1 V-Drive 427 Ford side oiler powered, Spectra 20 V-Drive with an LS-6 Chevy, a Howard 21 stern drive with a Chevy 502 and I have ridden in some Campbell 21s. My current boat is a V-Drive Schiada 21 River Cruiser. Here are my thoughts on the boats I have owned. The Mach 1 was a semi flat bottom that beat me up in rough water. The Spectra and the Howard are basically the same boat. Decent ride in moderately rough water but not in heavy Havasu type cross chop. The Campbells have a some what flat bottom and will beat you severely. The Schiada 21 rides much better than all on the above but in really rough water with a lot of cross chop it to will take some hits. If you spend a lot of time at Havasu or Parker the Schiada 21 is the only way to go if you are thinking a 21-foot boat. With all of the larger boats on the lake and river and the comp ski boats with ballast tanks churning up the water it makes it really rough for any 21 or smaller boat. If you want a really good ride all the time you need to think about a 24 foot or larger.

SPECTRABRENT
07-31-2003, 10:08 AM
DOHARA,
SCHIADA RC 21 is right about the 21 River Cruiser
being the best rough water hull, the bottom is a (15 degree) compared to the Spectra 20 (12 degree). If I were to buy a Schiada that is the boat I would get over the Schiada 20.
I still think for the $$$ a clean Spectra 20 v-drive is the best buy even over the Schiada 21.
The Campbell 20 is a great boat, but it will beat you to death in rough water.
Good Luck,
Brent
[ July 31, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: SPECTRABRENT ]

DansBlown73Nordic
07-31-2003, 06:08 PM
I have the 22 f.t. Daycruiser. It rides excellent.

DOHARA
08-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys for the info. So the difference in a day cruiser and a river cruiser is the shape of the upper lines, the hull is the same. I found a day cruiser but everyone i talk to says the river cruiser is better. Also, Is it true that most v-drives don't have reverse? What do you do when you need to stop in a emergency situation? A jet boat can almost stop on a dime, Im nervous about not having reverse. What do you think?
DANO

schiada96
08-01-2003, 09:50 AM
I have a river cruser with a transmission and you can stop if you need to at slow speed.

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 10:04 AM
I think most all DayCruisers have reverse. Its not much good but they have it.
As far as differences between a 21 and a 22. I just had a perfect chance to compare my 22 to a 21. I was very surprised at how much different the tops are. The 21 has a much smaller upper part. Also the sides of the boat are also shorter. (lower profile)
Im not sure about the bottoms. For what I use mine for the deeper boat is much better. Im sure the 21 is lighter. It also looks narrower then my 22. :confused:
I guess what im saying is the 21 is a completly different boat. wink

spectras only
08-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Dohara, I have a 24 spectra with 16 degree deadrise that equals most true deep V's [24 degree] in ride due to the fact it's built like an Abrams tank :p and the V-drive always hooked in rough water ,unlike a sterndrive that can ventilate and over rev in big waves .You'll have no problem with one especially on lakes.Sanger built an awesome 26'model with triple axel trailers in the late 70's early 80's with sterndrives.I would shop for one of those if you could find one at all for sale wink .

BADAXE
08-01-2003, 04:54 PM
DOHARA:
I am looking to purchase a shiada in the near future. Just wondering what the difference is between a day cruiser and river cruiser
thanks,
DANO Schiada has a "22' Daycruiser" or a 21' Rivercruiser". The 22 has a deeper V and a higher freeboard.

Eric455
08-01-2003, 08:29 PM
i have a 20.5 eliminator river criuser, v-drive. the boat handles great in havasu chop. once the boat comes up on the water you dont feel a thing. 2,3,-4 foot waves are nothing. make sure you get a v-drive. the v-drive those have reverse. it just those not have reverse stearing. you just take ur time and it will turn. but yes it will stop at the dime if needed. "mine those" you just gotta get use to it. i have heard from lots of people that the shciada's are great. and i do beileve it. one of the best boats ever built. god luck and make sure you test drive before you buy.
eric