PDA

View Full Version : Are Gaffrig, Livorsi, and Autometer Gauges the same?

Smokin Joe
03-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Looking to update my guages are the big three all the same? and are they made by Autometer?
joe

BadKachina
03-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Gaffrig is one of the original aftermarket marine companies. Their gauges where assembled and made under their name by Mike Livorsi. They make their own gauges now and are independent of any else. When Mike lost the rights to the Gaffrig name he started a new company, Livorsi. Livorsi assembles their gauges in house but buys some parts from Autometer. The Livorsi line has a couple features that Autometer doesn't, not to mention a whole lot more choices of colors and rim styles. Autometer makes and assemble their own gauges.
To answer your question, they are all high quality pieces and the companies stand behind all of them. You won't go wrong with any of those brands.

h2oski2fast
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
the autometer "marine gages" are a seperate division from the regular gages, that came from an autometer rep at the drag races this last weekend.
Only from the sales end. Meaning, Marine dealers can't be car gauge dealers and car gauge dealers can't be marine gauge dealers.

Jordy
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Hmmm.... looks like auto and marine gauges here:
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=am
:jawdrop: :D

phebus
03-02-2007, 09:18 AM
That "Rex" guy is a rebel :D

brad22
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
BadKachina pretty much nailed on the head, but another feature that he did not mention is that Livorsi and Autometer gauges are made in the USA and Gaffrig is a CHINESE made gauge. I would say Livorsi and Autometer make a far superior marine gauge IMO.

h2oski2fast
03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Hmmm.... looks like auto and marine gauges here:
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=am
:jawdrop: :D
Grandfathered in, more then likely. Plus there are exceptions to every rule.

Jordy
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Grandfathered in, more then likely. Plus there are exceptions to every rule.
I think Rex is just a rebel!!! Maybe he paid them off with catalogs... :D :D :D

Stingray69
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Lavorsi comes standard in MANY nice brands of boats. That says a lot.
They are my personal choice.

h2oski2fast
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I think Rex is just a rebel!!! Maybe he paid them off with catalogs... :D :D :D
Those catalogs are made from a precious material called unobtanium, very rare........ So, you're probably right.:) :) :)

shippingguy
03-02-2007, 11:19 AM
They are separate, but if you takea look at a Livorsis Gauge. I have all Platinum Monster Gauges on my 2007 27 Shadow and if you look on the faces they say made by Auto Meter.

spectras only
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Gaffrig gauges will say made by Gaffrig on their dial .http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Gaffrig

Rexone
03-02-2007, 03:15 PM
They are separate, but if you takea look at a Livorsis Gauge. I have all Platinum Monster Gauges on my 2007 27 Shadow and if you look on the faces they say made by Auto Meter.
This is because Auto Meter holds a design patent on the Superbezel that originated on the Pro Comp line. For Livorsi to use this design bezel the credit had to be listed on the gauge. This only started about 3-4 years ago. Before that it wasn't so. His gauges without the Superbezel don't carry the AutoMeter name, even though many of the subassemblies come from AM. What Bad Kachina and others outlined is accurate.
Livorsi is good stuff and much of it is manufactured by AutoMeter (subassemblies). Livorsi adds custom colors and different dial combinations. You pay a premium for it though by comparison. Livorsi also has many applications AutoMeter doesn't offer in their standard marine line. Rex Marine sells AutoMeter and Livorsi so you have a choice depending on how much you want to spend vs special colors / features.

RT21
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Gaffrig is one of the original aftermarket marine companies. Their gauges where assembled and made under their name by Mike Livorsi. They make their own gauges now and are independent of any else. When Mike lost the rights to the Gaffrig name he started a new company, Livorsi. Livorsi assembles their gauges in house but buys some parts from Autometer. The Livorsi line has a couple features that Autometer doesn't, not to mention a whole lot more choices of colors and rim styles. Autometer makes and assemble their own gauges.
To answer your question, they are all high quality pieces and the companies stand behind all of them. You won't go wrong with any of those brands.
I would agree with this, except none of these manufacturers continue to make a 4" cut out speedometer. I am screwed if I ever need to replace my gauge. In my mind, "standing behind" thier product would not include making a gauge and then discontinuing the SIZE!

YeLLowBoaT
03-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Rex, I didn't see livorsi on your web site...
Whats the diffrence in cost between them and autometer for a standard 5 guage set( ballpark is fine)?

Rexone
03-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Rex, I didn't see livorsi on your web site...
Whats the diffrence in cost between them and autometer for a standard 5 guage set( ballpark is fine)?
YB they're not online yet.. I sent you a PM.

Rexone
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I would agree with this, except none of these manufacturers continue to make a 4" cut out speedometer. I am screwed if I ever need to replace my gauge. In my mind, "standing behind" thier product would not include making a gauge and then discontinuing the SIZE!
The problem is AM nor Livorsi nor us actually made the 4" liquid gauges. They came from an industrial source and we converted them and calibrated them for marine speedometer useage. Now that the demand for non GPS gauges has vanished there's not enough volume to even purchase them any longer. They were what was available at the time and filled a purpose for many years.
Lots of guys have opted to go to the monster gauges AM makes (4 5/8" hole) which makes it a non issue if you have the dash space. I understand on smaller boats or some apps tho where you don't have the room for a 5" bezel monster gauge. I'm going to make some adapters that will adapt a 3 3/8" gauge into a 4" hole and look like all the other gauge bezels from the outside. I've got it drawn up, just have to build them.

BadKachina
03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Livorsi, Gaffrig and most of the aftermarket suppliers make a bezel that will cover that hole and let you put a standard size speedo in. Also if it's a Gaffrig Precision gauge, it was made by Livorsi and they will refurbish the gauge for you if you send it to them. Livorsi will reburbish any of their old gauges for a lower price than new gauges. I'm guessing it's one of the old liquid filled speedo's? They don't look bad when you replace them with the special bezel to fill the oversized hole. I would be willing to bet Rex has the bezel in stock.

BadKachina
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Rex beat me to the post, anyhow since he's a Livorsi dealer the part # for that bezel from Livorsi is FLGPSR (plus color).
Actually Gaffrig still shows 4" gauges on their web site.
http://www.gaffrigperformance.com/Products/gauges.cfm?theSubCategory=37

Rexone
03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Rex,
do you guys now stock the 2 1/16" white "marine" pro comp's ?
Thanks, Scott
Yes I have good stock levels on all AutoMeter.
Here's a link to the white marine. (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ProCompMarineWhite)

Jbb
03-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Yes I have good stock levels on all AutoMeter.
Here's a link to the white marine. (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ProCompMarineWhite)
Got any digital...?....:D

blown428fe
03-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Rex- Your name is on my liquid filled speedo. Is that your own line or something?

Rexone
03-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Rex- Your name is on my liquid filled speedo. Is that your own line or something?
Yes we built them for many years. They're the industrial gauges I referred to in my above post. I still have a few laying around (new) in some speed ranges and can still work on, refill, re-calibrate, etc. Most everyone though has gone the GPS route now.

Rexone
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks, REX, I'll be in touch. Please excuse me for asking, your real name is MIke, correct.
Thanks, Scott
Correct., thanks. :)

Rexone
03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Got any digital...?....:D
you mean that emo stuff you almost got for your Cobra... :D
:yuk:

Jbb
03-02-2007, 06:53 PM
you mean that emo stuff you almost got for your Cobra... :D
:yuk:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732emoboost.jpg

Rexone
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732emoboost.jpg
Yep that's the one lol. :D
Look good in ricer... maybe.
Look good in Cobra... NOT.

RT21
03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
The problem is AM nor Livorsi nor us actually made the 4" liquid gauges. They came from an industrial source and we converted them and calibrated them for marine speedometer useage. Now that the demand for non GPS gauges has vanished there's not enough volume to even purchase them any longer. They were what was available at the time and filled a purpose for many years.
Lots of guys have opted to go to the monster gauges AM makes (4 5/8" hole) which makes it a non issue if you have the dash space. I understand on smaller boats or some apps tho where you don't have the room for a 5" bezel monster gauge. I'm going to make some adapters that will adapt a 3 3/8" gauge into a 4" hole and look like all the other gauge bezels from the outside. I've got it drawn up, just have to build them.
Thanks for the response, guys. I really don't see how either the 4-5/8 hole or the bezel adapter is an acceptable remedy. Granted if you just wanted to throw any ol' thing in there I guess it wouldn't matter. But, we ARE talking boats here....Billet this, polished that. It has to look "right".
Both of these options won't work because the spacing between the gauges is not going to stay consistent. My front and center gauge will look completely hokie. From what I have seen of the Gaffrig's, they have a completely different bezel and number layout than what I am running. But, I will need to check them out closer.

BadKachina
03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the response, guys. I really don't see how either the 4-5/8 hole or the bezel adapter is an acceptable remedy. Granted if you just wanted to throw any ol' thing in there I guess it wouldn't matter. But, we ARE talking boats here....Billet this, polished that. It has to look "right".
Both of these options won't work because the spacing between the gauges is not going to stay consistent. My front and center gauge will look completely hokie. From what I have seen of the Gaffrig's, they have a completely different bezel and number layout than what I am running. But, I will need to check them out closer.
That Livorsi part number I gave you is a bezel to fit a 3 3/8 gauge into a hole that was cut out for a 4" gauge, not the other way around. It is an adapter to fit a standard size gauge into that hole. The bezel ends up being a little thicker than the normal bezel but if you put that bezel on the tach as well it will all match and only a person that knows what he is looking at will be able to tell what you did. I've done this on a number of boats when updating gauges and/or putting in a gps speedo.
Normal bezel for 3 3/8 gauge.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/FLT-338.JPG
Bezel for 3 and 3/8 gauge with a hole cut out for a 4" hole. It's hardly noticable but is just a little thicker. 4 1/2 outside diameter instead of 4 3/16 for the standard gauge.
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/flt_gps.jpg

yachter
03-05-2007, 05:22 AM
so when did gaffrig move from northern IL ? and where did he go?

Panic Button
03-05-2007, 07:24 AM
so when did gaffrig move from northern IL ? and where did he go?
They moved about an hour west of where Livorsi is. Still in Illinois.