PDA

View Full Version : parker strip question

mobldj
03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
heres my question,we've all stayed at the strip one time or another,we've also woken up to our toys high and dry because we didnt tie up far enough out......why dont they shut both dams off at the same time to keep the water level up......just askin

tamalewagon
03-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Most likely because of the irrigation needs further down river. :confused:

Baja Big Dog
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Most likely because of the irrigation needs further down river. :confused:
Correct.....
The demands for water come from purchase order from farmers, and or other people that demand water from the Colorado river.
The orders are sent in a head of time (two or three weeks). and both dams react to the demands.
Know a big farmer out of Yuma, he spent the better part of an afternoon while dove hunting explaining the whole process, it tood about 12 pack....this is what I rememberd from it!!

edog_103
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Don't they also produce energy from the dam?

Mandelon
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
As much as we seem to think the world revolves around us and our enjoyment of days on the water.....the river was not stopped up for us to boat on. They didn't dam it up so they could build the keys in there.
The river has been contained and "improved" for use as irrigation, flood control and consumption. The fact we get to boat on it is a wonderful byproduct.
Maybe we are inconvenienced by fluctuating levels and all, but maybe we should be a little more grateful we are able to indulge in this hobby at all. Especially in some of the coolest places around. I'm not trying to anyone hard time, just suggesting we appreciate it, don't take it for granted. That's all.

riverbound
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
As much as we seem to think the world revolves around us and our enjoyment of days on the water.....the river was not stopped up for us to boat on. They didn't dam it up so they could build the keys in there.
The river has been contained and "improved" for use as irrigation, flood control and consumption. The fact we get to boat on it is a wonderful byproduct.
Maybe we are inconvenienced by fluctuating levels and all, but maybe we should be a little more grateful we are able to indulge in this hobby at all. Especially in some of the coolest places around. I'm not trying to anyone hard time, just suggesting we appreciate it, don't take it for granted. That's all.
;)

h2oski2fast
03-02-2007, 12:17 PM
;)
Shut it, N! :D :D :D I'll see you tomorrow.

riverbound
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Shut it, N! :D :D :D I'll see you tomorrow.
Just trying to up my post count....LOL
see you. Heading out in less than an hour

GunninGopher
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I got caught one afternoon at Parker. It was a Wed or Thurs. when the water dropped probably 5' in about 1 hour. I had to leave my pontoon at Buckskin State park overnight.