PDA

View Full Version : just bought a 1982 SKV 24 ft day cruiser

Old Day Cruiser
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I can't seem to find much info on this boat or builder. was wondering if anyone could help me out on this boat? i know it's a old boat, but i love the old school looks. i know the builder was G.A. Racine out of San Dimas, CA. i have a 25 ft tahiti day cruiser that has seen better days and it's time to move on with her.$$$$$. any info or your thoughts on this boat or builder would be helpful. by the way it has 290 hp 350 with a 280 volvo i/o. thank's for any help. Old Day Cruiser

Deano
03-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I don't know much about the boat other than my uncle had one in the early 80s. He ran the shit outta that thing and seemed to be a pretty nice boat. It's been sitting uncovered for the last 10+ years....damn shame. I think it ran around 55 with a 455 olds/jet

Wet Dream
03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
This thread is worthless without pics.

lewiville
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
PIC'S PLEASE geeeesh

DaddyMack
03-04-2007, 10:16 AM
i cant seem to find much info on this boat or builder. was wondering if anyone could help me out on this boat? i know it's a old boat, but i love the old school looks. . i know the builder was G.A. Racine out of San Dimas, CA. i have a 25 ft tahiti day cruiser that has seen better days and it's time to move on with her.$$$$$. any info or your thoughts on this boat or builder would be helpful. by the way it has 290 hp 350 with a 280 volvo i/o. thank's for any help. Old Day Cruiser
We had one back in the 70's 21 foot jet... great boat.. lots of fun. if we were going no wake speed and hit reverse really quick.. we could "wash the deck" as my dad would call it.. nose would dip under... it was a cool parlor trick..lol

909punk
03-04-2007, 10:23 AM
My Dad had one for many years..

MUDXPRT
03-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Builder was Gene Racine, built awesome boats his son Rene was best man in my wedding. The quality was top notch.

OCMerrill
03-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Here ya go. Nice boat. Volvo 280's can be decent drives if they are taken care of. My father just swapped out the same power combo he had in his '79 24' Caribbean Daycruiser with a BBC and a volvo DP with a stainless propset. Direct bolt in. He is stoked.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25537&d=1173051518

bullseye
03-05-2007, 07:02 AM
I own a 24" 1975 SKV day cruiser ,Chrysler 440 ,direct drive ,very smooth riding, it is my first boat and Ienjoy it very much , I finallaly got all the bugs out of it , If I recall . From what I have heard the molds were bought by either Hallet or Howard .Congrads on the boat hope that you enjoy

Old Day Cruiser
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks to all that have replyed. OCMerrill has your father taken his caribbean out with his new set up? sounds like a sweet ride. just wondering how much of a difference it makes? Old Day Cruiser

OCMerrill
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all that have replyed. OCMerrill has your father taken his caribbean out with his new set up? sounds like a sweet ride. just wondering how much of a difference it makes? Old Day Cruiser
The boat before the swap was just ridiculously under powered. With full tanks and 4 people just planing the boat was a struggle. He added cav plates, a fin on the OD, etc but more power is what he really needed. I kept telling him 383 SB and keep all the manifolds, etc but he still would of had no power steering and no trim.
The Boat is at GS Marine in Corona right now. The swap is complete and tested by Greg on Elsinore but my father (a true old school river rat) at the age of 67 has found a re-newed desire for his boat. So will Greg ever finish it? I do know my dad has to stop upgrading stuff for our family trip end of May. That will be my first time in the boat sense the swap.
What I was told is now it planes instantly and runs in the mid 60's. Before it was about a 40 mph boat that took all day to get there.
Big improvement.

Old Day Cruiser
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM
bump for the weekend.

funkcity
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
SKV (an SK boat with extra V if-you-will)
In the 80s they had 3 models a 20, 22 and 24 with a low deck as you have and a higher step deck. The company was sold to Hallett in 1984 where I bought my SKV 20.
I finally traded it last year for a Malibu V-Ride as my kids demanded (and got!) their wakeboard boat.
There used to be a 24 that raced up and down the left coast here. These were solid boats! They even built a few with twin small blocks!
My SKV 20 was a great boat. I also had a Volvo outdrive with a 290 horse Chevy.
Hill nose cone, custom props etc...
Same as the boat you picture here.
Great ski-in wake and lots of freeboard.
Of note, Jimmy Frisbe, quite a craftsman who came from SKV Boats is still Vice President of Hallett Boats.
I wonder what kind of wake boat the 24 would make?

Old Day Cruiser
03-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Thank's Funkcity, for a little more info on the SKV boats. how was the 290 hp motor in your 20 SKV? did it get the boat around ok or could it have use a few more hp's? sounds like you were real happy with your boat. i wont be able to take my out till the end of april. just trying to get a idea on how it will run. thanks agian for the help. Old Day Cruiser

Boatcop
03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
We ran a 24' SKV on Lake Havasu with the Coast Guard in the late '70s. Had a 454/V drive with Cav plate.
All I can say it was a big, heavy boat. Slow lumbering beast, even with the big Bow Tie power. Head to head with our Spectra 24' with identical power and set up put the SKV to shame.

Old Day Cruiser
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
thank's Boatcop, so are you saying that it mite be a pig? just jokeing with you. any help is good. i need to find out the +'s and -'s of this boat. thank's Old Boat Cruiser

Boatcop
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
thank's Boatcop, so are you saying that it mite be a pig? just jokeing with you. any help is good. i need to find out the +'s and -'s of this boat. thank's Old Boat Cruiser
Well. We called the Spectra 24' "Porky". You can imagine we we called the SKV.

Old Day Cruiser
03-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Boatcop, you need to learn how to play nicely with other's. "lol" Old Day Cruiser

funkcity
03-12-2007, 08:23 PM
The 20 was considerably lighter than the 24 with considerably less V at the transom. Great ski-in wake.
At 2600 lbs, the 290 hp 20 did quite well with the Volvo drive.
The 4 bolt motor could have used more torque so I used props in the 17 thru 20 pitch range finally using a 4 blade Solas Saturn (19?).
http://www.solas.com/products/propeller/oem_brands/brandSearch.asp
At the time you could get custom props from Hill Marine (Thrasher) or even a re-hubbed Merc cleaver. The choices are quite slim compared to a Merc.
If you keep the 290, get rid of the points in the distributor and replace with a Pertronix magnetic pickup that fits right in your distributor... A significant and cheap improvement!
But you need some horsepower... a big block for starters!
My old 20 is for sale at Tilly's Marine in Ventura.

Old Day Cruiser
03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Funkcity, great pic of your old 20 SKV. looks like you had a lot of good times with your kid's on the SKV. the SKV flyer i have says the 24 is at 3,500lb's and the 20 is at 2,800 lb's. 700 lb's will make a big difference for 290 hp sbc. luckily i'm not a speed racer type , just a cruiser. what was your top speed on your 20? i was hoping for around 45 to 50 and cruisering around 35 to 40. what do you think? i'm i dreaming? good idea on the pertronix setup. i have one on my sand rail for about 5 yr's and its been great. not one problem with it. it will be frist on my list. a 454 and a dp i/o sounds like the ticket. but i don't think the wife would go for that right now. maybe a dp i/o next year. thank's again for your time and help. Old Day Cruiser