PDA

View Full Version : Lake Norman, Carolina

prkr247
03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi, I live on the West Coast and I am thinking of relocating to Lake Norman. We live in California and drive 4 hours to boat on the Colorado River and Lake Havasu. We are looking forward to living on a lake rather then driving to it. Any insight, comments, suggestions.....
Thanks

Wet Dream
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Lake Norman is huge and beautiful.

mikes280
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
the lake is over 500 miles of shore line has many restrants on it can get bussy on weekends it is a very nice lake. There are many lakes that you can get to within a few hours from this area and you can get to the coast in about three hrs

throwerb
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi, I live on the West Coast and I am thinking of relocating to Lake Norman. We live in California and drive 4 hours to boat on the Colorado River and Lake Havasu. We are looking forward to living on a lake rather then driving to it. Any insight, comments, suggestions.....
Thanks
I don't know anything about lake Norman but I can tell you I moved to Nashville, Tn two years ago from Pasadena, Ca to live on a lake here (Old Hickory) and it was the best decision I have make in a long time.

GasGuzzler
03-04-2007, 09:04 PM
There are many different lakes a short drive from Norman also. I would say a good "10" boater friendly lakes within a hours drive. Born and raised here in this area, traveled all over and not anywhere else I would rather be........so Go for it! (just don't come out here and be hugging trees and chit, we don't play that):D

Bow Tie Omega
03-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks
Half of the Nascar drivers and their crew chiefs seem to live on that lake. It will not be uncommon to see Robby Gordon going off on his sky ski there. If I were to live on the East Coast, that would probably be the spot, just for easy lake access.

shirkey4750
03-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Contact DaveA from the boards, he lives on the lake.

prkr247
03-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the information. This is the information that I wanted as I am a huge water sports guy and a huge Nascar fan. I would love to get to the east coast....Still trying to sell my wife on it.

DaveA
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, well, well. Another potential taxpayer to help with the Bobcats arena payments....and the LiteRail payments....and help pay the transit tax....and the increase in property tax....oh, wait...I didn't mean to scare you. Just yet.
Come on over. The water's fine. And for what you'd sell your house in LAX for, well, you could buy the same thing on the water here. If you don't wait too long. Prices are going up. Let me know if you want some reliable lake realty assistance when the time comes from a couple of ***boat lovin' realtors I know.
Since you're a NASCAR fan, this is Ground Zero. Forget Daytona. Only the state income tax dodgers like the Frances, Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin live there. Oh, and that new guy, whazizname? Juan Valdez...or...Montoya...he still has his place in Miami for now. Can't get too far from the coffee bean plantations in case his win yesterday was just a fluke and he needs work...but I digress....
Oh, and GasGuzzler's right. We don't hug trees here. We use them for keeping warm, keeping cool, or for hiding behind when absolutely necessary. They also come in handy what with all the construction that's going on here.
We also believe in the use of fossil fuels for our personal enjoyment. You'll fit right in.
Just remember- you'll be south of the Mason-Dixon line, and your passport may be required.:D
DaveA
PS Keep us up to date on your progress. I'll need a little time to get the red carpet cleaned.;)

FilthyHaBIT
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks
I live on Norman....check out this site www.lknfun.com
It may give you a good idea of all the things there is to do on this lake. I searched lakes and waterways up and down the east coast before choosing Norman and I believe it is the premier lake for having fun. Lanier is too crowded and the cops are bad. FLorida lakes are all round and shallow plus not many large ones. Anything north of Norman is too cold. Norman is also in proximaty of civilization and industry. not very backwoods if ya knowm what I mean. I've met many Cali tansfers and they all love it here...check it out

blackcloud75
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
Can I least visit?????????

DaveA
03-16-2007, 08:08 PM
:D having been to charlotte for the coke 600, and seeing lake norman from a few different places, man i'd be real happy living there !!, and the people are way friendly and cool out there !! you will like it !! this will be our 4th straight year for the 600, will not give up are seats !! if you have a good job back there life will be nice !! juan can stay in florida with all his cousins, he totally shunned the crowd on driver intros in vegas, jackass...... GO RCR & DEI !!!
Glad to hear you like it out this way. I'll send a note to Miz Blakey to have her send you to CLT permanently, if you wish.
Why, with all the money she'll get from charging for airspace usage, well, I'll tell her to pay ALL of your moving expenses, too.:D
You need to drag that Shy-ay-dah out here and hit the lake- show these guys with the cookie-cutter '***boats' what it's all about.
Then...you can go to the race.
We can throw that morning's coffee grounds at Juan Valdez and his donkey if he makes it to driver intros.
Man, alien furriners driving stockers, and Japanese Tokyotas finishing 1-2 in the NCTS race at Atlanta tonite....what's the South coming to??
There I go again....so, pkr247, when you coming out permanently? You can change your screen name to LKN247 if you move onto the lake....

prkr247
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks Everybody. I appreciate the feedback. We are hoping to come out this summer early fall to check out the area. Hard to say when this will happen, but I want to come out and look around, maybe go to a race at the same time.

voodoomedman
03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't know how much longer we can stand the rat race, high cost of living, crowds, smog, and illegals here. Maybe 10 years. We are starting to research on where to go. We visited friends in Abbeville, SC last year and loved it but I'm not sure about the weather. That will probably be the hardest thing to give up about SoCal is the weather. But it will sure be nice to have one house payment and even if I don't live on a lake then only have to drive 20 minutes to one. Lake Greenwood I think it was seemed very nice. Norman seems awesome but if we were to go to Carolina I like the comfort of being close to existing friends. Besides he's a contractor so I could build a house exactly the way I wanted from the ground up. What are your thoughts?????????

DaveA
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
So voodoomedman,
You got a contractor friend in Abbeville? So move on out! Big Chris is in the Greenwood area, and the place is crawling with East Coast style ***boats...that is, big wackas on little boats, and offshore stuff that never sees salt. So there's not that much difference. Besides, you get 4 real seasons. See the trees turn. Get to see the leaves form again (like now) I just came in from the dock (1045pm) and folks are still whoopin' and partying out on the lake- and it ain't even April yet.
I'm headed to the race at Bristol (yes! I got tickets!) in the early AM, and last year it snowed during the race- there were snowball fights in the stands! Tomorrow it'll be almost 80F, so you never know.

voodoomedman
03-24-2007, 08:42 PM
So voodoomedman,
You got a contractor friend in Abbeville? So move on out! Big Chris is in the Greenwood area, and the place is crawling with East Coast style ***boats...that is, big wackas on little boats, and offshore stuff that never sees salt. So there's not that much difference. Besides, you get 4 real seasons. See the trees turn. Get to see the leaves form again (like now) I just came in from the dock (1045pm) and folks are still whoopin' and partying out on the lake- and it ain't even April yet.
I'm headed to the race at Bristol (yes! I got tickets!) in the early AM, and last year it snowed during the race- there were snowball fights in the stands! Tomorrow it'll be almost 80F, so you never know.
I don't know if we'd go there but it's definitely an option for me. It was freaking beautiful and the people were nice. Wherever I go though it will be an Ultra for me. No east coast boats. You can take the boy out of Socal but you can't take Socal outta the boy. Not completely anyway. We will be checking our options for the next few years but were beginning to see that this is not the environment we want to raise our children in.

mikes280
03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
i live in charlotte grew up playing on lake Norman and it is awsome but i also have been playing on lake greenwood all my life my family has had a place on lake greenwood for over 40 years and i love that lake it is smaller then Norman but there is a lot of good people on it and it is not a lake where everyone is trying to out do each other. i have friends on Greenwood that i have had for over 20 years and i look farward to going there every year. eather lake and you will have a good time keep in mind you are not but about 1 to 2 hrs. away from many different lakes and the coast so there is a lot of boating

drejustice
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
A group of the Smith Mt. Lake Power Boaters (http://www.smlpba.com) have been tossing around the idea of maybe putting together a group trip down to Lake Norman sometime in August.
Does anyone have a good place to stay near the water? I think a couple mightl need a ramp capable of launching up to 37ft.:eek:

FilthyHaBIT
03-27-2007, 05:55 PM
A group of the Smith Mt. Lake Power Boaters (http://www.smlpba.com) have been tossing around the idea of maybe putting together a group trip down to Lake Norman sometime in August.
Does anyone have a good place to stay near the water? I think a couple mightl need a ramp capable of launching up to 37ft.:eek:
You should be able to launch a 37 ft'er at most ramps on the lake. I've got a lake front apartment for rent for the cost of a ride in the 37 and a case o' beer. If you and your friends are serious let me know and I'll throw a party at my crib on the lake for you out of towners . We like to meet new people to party with on the lake. I've got a large boat house and some other slips to tye up to for the weekend....no battleing the public ramps everyday.

drejustice
03-28-2007, 05:10 AM
You should be able to launch a 37 ft'er at most ramps on the lake. I've got a lake front apartment for rent for the cost of a ride in the 37 and a case o' beer. If you and your friends are serious let me know and I'll throw a party at my crib on the lake for you out of towners . We like to meet new people to party with on the lake. I've got a large boat house and some other slips to tye up to for the weekend....no battleing the public ramps everyday.
Cool cool.
Thanks for the invite. I'll pass the word along.:)
Oh, and hopefully by this time next month there should be another ultra on the east coast if things are on schedule!:)

Sanger D
03-30-2007, 04:27 PM
my little beisemeyer came from Bufford county ,,is that close and whats it like out there?, My wife and I are so sick of the crap and invironmentalists and such, we are thinking of relocating(have looked at Fort Smith Arkansas) really like what we see out that way!!!!we live ON the colorado river right now in BULLHEAD CITY, its nice but its changing quick!!!!