PDA

View Full Version : Report from Dragboats . com

pgf127rt
11-24-2001, 06:42 PM
I found the following report on Dragboats. com thought some of you might be interested,
11/24/01 - Apparently on Thanksgiving Day, Lance Faulkner (pictured left-middle), Super Stock Series Champion, was killed during testing of a new boat that he was set to debut in the Grand National class. Apparently the driveline failed, taking out the rudder and the boat crashed killing him instantly. Lance was a major player in the recent success of the SS series, among others. Another GN racer Mike Hoban was also killed this weekend in Parker. There are no details of his accident, but he drove GN30 a turbo-charged deal. Mike is a veteran racer since 1986. The entire world of boat racing is shaken by these tragic events. We here at dragboats.com offer our thoughts and prayers to the families of these fallen drivers.
As does the pgf127 family.

boatnam2
11-24-2001, 06:48 PM
damm talk about bad news,that is terrible.boat racing is a dangerous hobby.

Sangerboy
11-25-2001, 02:06 PM
pgf, I was at the race and witnessed Mike Hoban's accident. I only heard unconfirmed stories about his injuries at the race site so I have no comment on that but I did see the crash take place so I'll fill in the details there a bit. It happened about 6 or 7 minutes into the 15 minute GN event on Saturday, Mike was leading the race at that time. Another boat was challenging for the lead about halfway down the backstraight and they were racing hard, VERY hard. It was a very exciting race which unfortunatley became too exciting. Mike's boat hit 2 crosswakes really hard, the bow stayed a little to far down and the tail got light. The boat then bow-steered to the right, chined hard and barrel rolled left tossing the driver out. The spray obscured the rest, the boat ended right side up with the driver in the water. The rescue crew was there in 30 to 40 seconds and got him to the ambulance. The boat sank after about 2-3 minutes. Let us each remember these racers, their families and crews. God Bless.

boatguy222
11-25-2001, 02:52 PM
Both of these racers were the class of their fields. Circle racing, flatbottoms and v-bottoms suffered major loses this weekend.
Are thoughts are with the families of these MEN.

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2001, 05:45 PM
I was not familar with Mike Hoban but I had seen Lance Faulkner race many times in Super Stock and more recently K boats. The kid was amazing and was barely 30 years old. He had multiple championships and has set and reset the SS Kilo record three times (currently at 121.179!). There is a great bio and list of his accomplishments at www.superstockracing.com/ss70.htm (http://www.superstockracing.com/ss70.htm)
God's speed to Lance and Mike. Our thoughts and prayers to their friends and familys...

DaveA
11-25-2001, 09:53 PM
http://www.harktheherald.com/article.php?sid=31487&mode=thread&order=0
Here's where you can read Lance's obit.