03-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Any opinions?:idea: :idea: :idea:

Da Twins
03-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I non't know about the 710's but I love my
twin 625's runs & sounds great

ToMorrow44
03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Teague 800s...full 1 year warranty just like the Ilmor but more power and better sound IMO. Actually, to upgrade to the 900s is very minimal and you still get the warranty but a lot more power. What boat are you planning to put this in? And as far as drives, drive the boat normally and you won't have a problem with the TCM XRs.
-Tom

neverfastenuff
03-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I non't know about the 710's but I love my
twin 625's runs & sounds great
kool I have 625's in my boat rite now, which I'm selling and building a new boat. I have run my 625's very little, how many hours do you have on yours? any issues in the heat or with elevation?.....I heard the Ilmors are a bit more doe then the Teagues, both I'm sure are built equally as well....just seeing what guys with either of them think and if anyones had any issues with either.:boxingguy

Magic34
03-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I think either motor would be great. Now the drives, that is where I would be looking for options.

dicudmore
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
all motor packages have "issues" of some sort at some point--hell they're built by humans :wink:
what are they going in? WHEN you have a problem are you closer to somebody to look at an Ilmor package or a Teague package??

Da Twins
03-05-2007, 06:01 AM
have about 30hrs on boat , did not tell if I lost power in heat
my drive is Merc. ITS box w/ teague XR drive

havaduner
03-05-2007, 09:29 AM
all motor packages have "issues" of some sort at some point--hell they're built by humans :wink:
what are they going in? WHEN you have a problem are you closer to somebody to look at an Ilmor package or a Teague package??
Teague is the west coast dealer for Ilmor, so for warranty issues on either one, they go back to Valencia.

XFactor
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Teague is the west coast dealer for Ilmor, so for warranty issues on either one, they go back to Valencia.
Are you saying an Ilmor certified facility can not do warranty work? There are several certified facilities on the west including Savage and Absolute in Havasu.

andy01
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I know you will loose power during the heat of summer with both. But I have heard of many people loosing a lot with the 625 packages. I know people with Teague stuff loose a couple mph but the 625's I've heard as much as 10 mph. I wonder if the 710 will be the same amount of power lose as the 625. I would look at one more option the Merc. 700's. You then get a drive that is matched to the power as well. Not a brovo style drive that will sooner or later break. I know the merc. 700 is in the ball park on price but you have to add one outdrive repair to the Ilmor and Teague packages and then see where you are on price. Plus the Merc. setup will make 700 all year and up to 4,000 feet above sea level the Ilmor will not come close to 710 in the 115 degree heat of summer in Havasu. But of the two I would go Teague 800's. Just my .02
Andy

blown65
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I'd choose the Teague also. Mainly because of the performance in the heat with the blower/intercooler setup.

neverfastenuff
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Teague 800s...full 1 year warranty just like the Ilmor but more power and better sound IMO. Actually, to upgrade to the 900s is very minimal and you still get the warranty but a lot more power. What boat are you planning to put this in? And as far as drives, drive the boat normally and you won't have a problem with the TCM XRs.
-Tom
I will be putting them in a 30 or 33 daytona.

neverfastenuff
03-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I know you will loose power during the heat of summer with both. But I have heard of many people loosing a lot with the 625 packages. I know people with Teague stuff loose a couple mph but the 625's I've heard as much as 10 mph. I wonder if the 710 will be the same amount of power lose as the 625. I would look at one more option the Merc. 700's. You then get a drive that is matched to the power as well. Not a brovo style drive that will sooner or later break. I know the merc. 700 is in the ball park on price but you have to add one outdrive repair to the Ilmor and Teague packages and then see where you are on price. Plus the Merc. setup will make 700 all year and up to 4,000 feet above sea level the Ilmor will not come close to 710 in the 115 degree heat of summer in Havasu. But of the two I would go Teague 800's. Just my .02
Andy
I hadn't even considered the Merc. Does anyone know the price difference between the Ilmor & the merc? What about the weight advantage of the Ilmor??

Magic34
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I hadn't even considered the Merc. Does anyone know the price difference between the Ilmor & the merc? What about the weight advantage of the Ilmor??
If Merc was in that original post, I would say Merc 100%. You will have better resale with Merc as well.

XFactor
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I looked at all packages when I built my boat. Merc was out the door due to a past experience with what should have been a warranty claim that they wouldn't stand behind. I believed their customer service SUCKED!!!! It came down to TCM's or Ilmors. Ian assured me the power loss in the 7-10 during summer months will be much less than what has been experienced in the 625's and 550's. I opted for the Ilmors due to weight and service records. Teague builds a great product and stands behind it. I just believed Ilmor would be a little more responsive to any warranty claims. In addition, weight played a big part as well. I wanted a light set-up with short gears for big mid-range punch. I thought the Ilmor package was the best set-up for my needs.
They all have their own problems. They're performance equipment. It just goes with the territory. If I was looking for top-end, I would have choosen TCM's. I was looking for mid-range and Ilmors seemed to be the best fit for me. I'll likely never consider Merc again in any boat I build. I guess that's what a bad experience can do to you.
Before you make your final choice, go to OSO and post the same question. I think you'll be surprised at how different the response will be. :)

neverfastenuff
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Sorry I guess I didn't really even consider Merc as I assumed they would be completely out of the ball park with their pricing.....I used to run 500efi's but anything with more power then that from Merc didn't seem to be a good value.:D :D :D

blown dough
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

neverfastenuff
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
wow thats a sick boat!! Details?? is that yours?

Magic34
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I looked at all packages when I built my boat. Merc was out the door due to a past experience with what should have been a warranty claim that they wouldn't stand behind. I believed their customer service SUCKED!!!! It came down to TCM's or Ilmors. Ian assured me the power loss in the 7-10 during summer months will be much less than what has been experienced in the 625's and 550's. I opted for the Ilmors due to weight and service records. Teague builds a great product and stands behind it. I just believed Ilmor would be a little more responsive to any warranty claims. In addition, weight played a big part as well. I wanted a light set-up with short gears for big mid-range punch. I thought the Ilmor package was the best set-up for my needs.
They all have their own problems. They're performance equipment. It just goes with the territory. If I was looking for top-end, I would have choosen TCM's. I was looking for mid-range and Ilmors seemed to be the best fit for me. I'll likely never consider Merc again in any boat I build. I guess that's what a bad experience can do to you.
Before you make your final choice, go to OSO and post the same question. I think you'll be surprised at how different the response will be. :)
I've seen the same thing happen to a friend with a TCM platinum drive, so that is where I formed my opinion from.

havaduner
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Are you saying an Ilmor certified facility can not do warranty work? There are several certified facilities on the west including Savage and Absolute in Havasu.
My bad, I did not know either of those shops where Ilmor certified.

blown dough
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
wow thats a sick boat!! Details?? is that yours?
WHO ME?

ToMorrow44
03-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Like said above Teague stands behind his work and will stand behind the warranty. Also as mentioned above, these things will have problems eventually, its inevitable. I know right before the Big Cat poker run last year there was 3 brand new DCBs and the Collegewood Eliminator at Teague all getting warranty work about 3 days before the poker run due to bad blowers from whipple. The Merc 700sci is going to be way overpriced as all Mercury racing motors are. The 700s with the NXT drives will run you $161K +/-. For a 30 or 33 daytona I'd recommend the TCM 800s and if you have the money upgrade to the 900s and maybe put IMCO 1000s on it. No matter what package you pick you're going to have a hell of a fast boat and its going to sound and look good. As usual, it's up to you whatever you like the best.
-Tom

F26
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I have a F29 with twin Teague 800s with 3 hours total so not much help here. I wanted to upgrade to 900s during the build and both Dave and Bob told me not to due Bravo issues but said i would be OK with 800s. I have the IMCOs (not 1000s).

neverfastenuff
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
kool how fast is your 29 DCB? And thankyou everyone for your opinions!!!:D :D :D I'm going to run some Volvo 600's!!!! LOL just kidding!

roln 20s
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry I guess I didn't really even consider Merc as I assumed they would be completely out of the ball park with their pricing.....I used to run 500efi's but anything with more power then that from Merc didn't seem to be a good value.:D :D :D
I'm not sure on exact retail- but through DCB the Merc700s and the NXT drive are CHEAPER than the Ilmor 710s once you add the upgraded Teague/IMCO drives - not too mention the Standoff boxes too :D I love the idea of the Mercs with the drive, but don't think you can go wrong with the Ilmors or Teagues.
Roln 20s

boatnam2
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
teague 800's!

UnionJack
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
800 efi's

boatjob
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Update, Savage Marine is the only authorized warranty repair shop in Havasu for both Ilmor and Teague.:)

CornWater
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
TPI 800 or Brummet turbo...

40FlatDeck
03-08-2007, 07:52 AM
If you don't go with a Number 6, I think the best combo would be Larry Peto power and the Konrad Ace drive.

Magic34
03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
If you don't go with a Number 6, I think the best combo would be Larry Peto power and the Konrad Ace drive.
Does that get you a discount? What if they dont see your post?

40FlatDeck
03-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Does that get you a discount? What if they dont see your post?
Discounts?????? I will forward this post to Larry.:D I also bring Olive Garden lunches, I think that helps.:rolleyes:

Magic34
03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Discounts?????? I will forward this post to Larry.:D I also bring Olive Garden lunches, I think that helps.:rolleyes:
You Tucson guys crack me up. Are there any lakes deeper than 3 feet around Tucson? :D

Singleton
03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
You Tucson guys crack me up. Are there any lakes deeper than 3 feet around Tucson? :D
I don't even remember any lakes being within 2 hours of Tucson, did my 5 years of drinking not allow me to see it. If so, I would have had a boat for the five years I spent going to UofA.

Deano
03-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Those Peto 700s are bad ass! I think he is getting more out of them now with new efi..under 30k with a warranty can't be beat!