PDA

View Full Version : House Fire on Tape!!!!!!

TPI
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I thought you guys and girls might like this. It is rare that an entire fire get's caught on tape(you firemen out there will agree), so I just found this very cool. Last week we(Ventura County Fire Dept, Engine Co 41) had a house fire in Simi Valley. I was the driver/pump operator on this fire. We found out afterward that it was on "You Tube". It is strictly for entertainment,,,,,,,,,,so have fun with it,,,,,,, I think any fireman could critique a few things on the tape(we all do:D ), but I think all firemen and ***boater's will love the footage. This fire started in the Rear of the house in the kitchen and worked its way around pretty quick. Enjoy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MlJG7yT8nI8

Trailer Park Casanova
03-05-2007, 11:37 AM
That looks like Wycoff street.
I used to own the house 4 doors down.
Nice floor plans.
Sorry to see it happen.

Big Kahunaa
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
that thing went up fast you guys got it contained fast good work did they get all the dogs

460 jus getn it
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
No expert here, but why wouldnt they get an all clear on the house? Why wouldnt the first in go interior and stop the fire from advancing. It looked like the frist in unit ended up going to the expousure rather then go interior.

yopengo
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Great video. Nice to see how the FD works. Good job. :D

4DAY4PLAY
03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
No expert here, but why wouldnt they get an all clear on the house? Why wouldnt the first in go interior and stop the fire from advancing. It looked like the frist in unit ended up going to the expousure rather then go interior.
Per OSHA/NFPA unless there is a potential rescue, there is a standard called
2 in/2out which means there must be a minimum of 2 firefighters standing by outside for every 2 that go interior. In this case the homeowner was out of the house and must have told the first in unit that there was nobody inside(this is one of the first things we ask/check). It appeared that the first arriving engine only had 3 personel, causing them to have to wait for the second unit to do any interior firefighting. Due to budget cuts this is pretty common. Also, with this house already involved the way it was when they arrived, protecting the exposures is the priority, or else you will lose the whole neighborhood. Kudos to the first few untits they did an excellent job, and knocked that fire down in appx 7 minutes after arriving on scene.

RiverDave
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Man people really panic in the face of adversity. I would've been moving my truck and everything else I could've away from the house.
RD

TPI
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
2 in/2out which means there must be a minimum of 2 firefighters standing by outside for every 2 that go interior. In this case the homeowner was out of the house and must have told the first in unit that there was nobody inside(this is one of the first things we ask/check). It appeared that the first arriving engine only had 3 personel, causing them to have to wait for the second unit to do any interior firefighting. Due to budget cuts this is pretty common. Also, with this house already involved the way it was when they arrived, protecting the exposures is the priority, or else you will lose the whole neighborhood. Kudos to the first few untits they did an excellent job, and knocked that fire down in appx 7 minutes after arriving on scene.
Everything above is true. The homeowner was the only one home, he said he had a few dogs around, and all but one were saved. It really is wild how fast it grew. I also agree with RD, the truck, rhino, atv's, and associated fuels would have been saved if he could have got some help moving them out before we arrived.

460 jus getn it
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
2 in/2out which means there must be a minimum of 2 firefighters standing by outside for every 2 that go interior. In this case the homeowner was out of the house and must have told the first in unit that there was nobody inside(this is one of the first things we ask/check). It appeared that the first arriving engine only had 3 personel, causing them to have to wait for the second unit to do any interior firefighting. Due to budget cuts this is pretty common. Also, with this house already involved the way it was when they arrived, protecting the exposures is the priority, or else you will lose the whole neighborhood. Kudos to the first few untits they did an excellent job, and knocked that fire down in appx 7 minutes after arriving on scene.Understandable. Was just wondering.

DaddyMack
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Man people really panic in the face of adversity. I would've been moving my truck and everything else I could've away from the house.
RD
Or In...lol...

djunkie
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Hats off to the fire fighters. Until you experience having a structure of your own burn like that no ones really knows how a person thinks during the event of a fire. When our garage went up it was a terrifying thing. First instincts were to try and knock it down ourselves until fire department showed up. Let me tell you, 2 gardens hoses don't do shit!!!!!!!! I have even more respect for fire fighters after seeing them first hand in action. Awesome people.
Heres our aftermath. Still gives me the chills.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25651&stc=1&d=1173129178

djunkie
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
RD
Untill you go through it its hard to say what you will do. We somehow managed to get 2 cars out.

CBadDad
03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Good job, cool video. Not being familiar with your departments SOP's and coming from a department with four man (person :rolleyes: ) companies that looked like a tacticly sound fire attack. Shiat happens fast and you guys knocked it down even faster. Thanks for sharing.

boatnam2
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
hey tpi do you know terry harmon,i think he is captain in your area?but i think he is city he live in santa barbra.he is my uncle but havent talked to him in a few years.

jbtrailerjim
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I went through a house fire as a kid. My folks more or less lost the whole house and a brand new car in the garage. It was a real gut wrenching thing to have to go through. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Nothing like getting woken up at 2:00 A.M. by the smoke alarm.:2purples: Luckily we all got out and nobody was hurt.

TPI
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
hey tpi do you know terry harmon,i think he is captain in your area?but i think he is city he live in santa barbra.he is my uncle but havent talked to him in a few years.
The name doesnt sound familiar. Maybe Ventura or Oxnard City?

Baja Big Dog
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Left all the toys inside, and the truck in the driveway...
HMMMMM...maybe a little Jewish lightening???:confused:

HatenWinter
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
That got my adrenaline pumping just sitting in my chair! Let people say what they will but the only thing I saw was that your live-line was about 1-2 psi too high:D Great job man, 41 Second to None! God, I can't wait to get back to work....

Beer-30
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
RD
Unless you wanted your pickup replaced in the ins claim also ;) :idea:

blackcloud75
03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Smoke showing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:
Remember....you medics.......DON'T FORGET YOUR DRUG BOX!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!! Even when assigned to fire attack..:D
I thought that was funny!!!
Gary..I didn't realize you guys ran squads...

SummitKarl
03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I thought you guys and girls might like this. It is rare that an entire fire get's caught on tape(you firemen out there will agree), so I just found this very cool. Last week we(Ventura County Fire Dept, Engine Co 41) had a house fire in Simi Valley. I was the driver/pump operator on this fire. We found out afterward that it was on "You Tube". It is strictly for entertainment,,,,,,,,,,so have fun with it,,,,,,, I think any fireman could critique a few things on the tape(we all do:D ), but I think all firemen and ***boater's will love the footage. This fire started in the Rear of the house in the kitchen and worked its way around pretty quick. Enjoy:
HERO'S!!!!!!!
I can't believe all the things going through my mind watching that,
I have a couple of customers I would like to have see this so they understand what fire separation means.
The firefighter that brought the dog out....just a Frickin HERO in my book
IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR KITCHEN/GARAGE.....GET ONE
a simple $20 fire extinguisher may have saved this guys home

little rowe boat
03-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Great video, thanks for sharing. Once the first units arrived and deployed lines knockdown was pretty quick.

BRSTQUEST
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Kudos to the hose draggers...The heat in a house fire is unreal and they run into it each and everytime......Good job and be safe

TPI
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Smoke showing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:
Remember....you medics.......DON'T FORGET YOUR DRUG BOX!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!! Even when assigned to fire attack..:D
I thought that was funny!!!
Gary..I didn't realize you guys ran squads...
I have been teasing that medic about the whole drug stop thing! LOL:D Something kinda funny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He is the one that saved the Dog! He fell in the pool doing it(with the dog) but he saved him. It was a good day!:)

TCN
03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks Gary.

phebus
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Couple of comments:
That fire was cooking way before you arrival. The guy should have accessed 911 right away, my guess is he didn't
The first line that was put into attack. That was an excellent call taking it to protect exposures. Cut your losses, that house was already toast, and why lose another.
I thought it was a great knockdown, and the important thing is, no one got hurt.
Lastly, I'll take Rocky Road, or Cookies and Cream. The cost of getting caught on film, right? :D

RiverRatMike
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I hope a Rhino wasn't in that garage!

98 Vector 21
03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
It was over on Wycoft....To my untrained eye it seem to go smooth....I mean your watching your house burn down time seems to stand still!

8Dayz
03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Great job! I liked how the explorer was hustlin gettin BA bottles. The truckies got on the roof fast also. Just be careful under those garage doors you dont want to get stuck if it comes down on you. VCFD is a class act. Keep up the good work brother.
Kern County Fire st 41:)

phebus
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Couple more comments:
Great spot by the first engine pulling past the house, and allowing the truck to pull in front.
Lots of lines coming off that engine quick. You must have been humping to get water, and get on the hydrant.

phebus
03-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Last comment:
I sure do miss that shit. :(

HavasuHome
03-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Last comment:
Rick you have paid your dues. And we thank you.

TPI
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Couple more comments:
Great spot by the first engine pulling past the house, and allowing the truck to pull in front.
Lots of lines coming off that engine quick. You must have been humping to get water, and get on the hydrant.
Rick,
You will be happy to know, that was "yours truely" driving/pumping that engine:D . Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's just nice to take a break from building boat engines(joking) and work as a fireman. I will turn 40 this year, so I am looking at 15+ years to retirement(providing I don't get hurt), and hopefully my little engine shop will be there for me when I do.
To Kern County 41: My Captain was Kern Co trained 84-88, you will be happy to know! Thanks GT

al cole'holic
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
..that house is off Bayside where our flipper house is, went up quick! The response time was by far better than mine, 30 minutes with the wrong dept dispatched :(

blackcloud75
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
....... You must have been humping to get water, and get on the hydrant.
Looked like the Explorer was hand-jackin' all the LDH off the rear.......CHEAP LABOR!!!!!!!:D
At least that dog didn't bite that hoseman.... I had a bad experience with a German Shepard a few months ago on a fire.....13 stitches later and 2 weeks off work

TPI
03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Looked like the Explorer was hand-jackin' all the LDH off the rear.......CHEAP LABOR!!!!!!!:D
At least that dog didn't bite that hoseman.... I had a bad experience with a German Shepard a few months ago on a fire.....13 stitches later and 2 weeks off work
You got it:D After a few different lines were pulled, that 3" supply was marginal at best. The hydrant was about 75+ feet up the street. I had the cadet pull the 4". He did a great job,,,,,,,,,,,,we just can't tell him.:D

Throttle
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
that is good footage... thanks for sharing... I will share it at the kitchen table in the am with our crew... shop talk / training...:idea:

4DAY4PLAY
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Last comment:
I did the math for you.....for the guys that were there working for an hour making appx $30.....you made $27 sitting at the river with a cold one watching it on You-tube!!! Retirements not to bad huh? But i know what you mean, its gotta be tough once you walk away, not neccesarily the job but the brotherhood.

blackcloud75
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I did the math for you.....for the guys that were there working for an hour making appx $30.....you made $27 sitting at the river with a cold one watching it on You-tube!!! Retirements not to bad huh? But i know what you mean, its gotta be tough once you walk away, not neccesarily the job but the brotherhood.
Or not mentally prepared to leave(aka forced retirement)......right Rick???

HavasuSelect
03-05-2007, 09:44 PM
YellowBoat....Calling Yellowboat...Any comments now?

Kilrtoy
03-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Brother Rick did not walk away on his own free will,
he was hurt on the job and has had some major surgeries

Throttle
03-05-2007, 10:26 PM
YellowBoat....Calling Yellowboat...Any comments now?
ah crap, i knew that was comin...

Throttle
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
humpty dumpty could not be put back together again... after 4 back surgeries... phebus forced to retire... we miss him at the table in the morning...

Havasu1986
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
... phebus forced to retire... we miss him at the table in the morning...
Does that mean you had to spend the nite with him.:D

4DAY4PLAY
03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Regardless, i didnt mean it as an insult...unfortunantly the majority of fireman seem to get a medical retirement, thats the nature of the job. Its never easy to leave the job, especially when your forced due to medical reasons. Im 31, have only been on the job 8 years and already have been injured 3 times, involving my back, knee, and shoulder. I will be lucky to make it to 52 for a full retirement.

TPI
03-06-2007, 06:57 AM
At 39, I am a train wreck. My low back and knees are pretty sore every morning. I guess if I dropped 25 lbs it would help:D

little rowe boat
03-06-2007, 08:14 AM
You got it:D After a few different lines were pulled, that 3" supply was marginal at best. The hydrant was about 75+ feet up the street. I had the cadet pull the 4". He did a great job,,,,,,,,,,,,we just can't tell him.:D
Is 3" the largest diameter your dept. uses for a supply line or do you have other options? We primarily use 4" for a supply line.

1 Baja Guy
03-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Great Job Guys high5.... But looked it something was missing in the front yard. The FORSALE SIGN.... But then again they were only 120 days behind in there morgage.Is this what they call a FIRE SALE ? Hmmm

TPI
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Is 3" the largest diameter your dept. uses for a supply line or do you have other options? We primarily use 4" for a supply line.
We use 3" and 4" Supply lines. The 3" will double as a heavy attack line. The 3" is pretty light and quick for an initial water supply.

dirty old man
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
1. Why not more water when they first hit the garage? Does someone have to pay for the water. It flamed up pretty badly the second time.
2. Could the neighbors have done more before you showed up. I know a few garden hoses don't do much, but could they have helped?
Wonder why the owner didn't at least move his truck away from the garage

djunkie
03-06-2007, 12:39 PM
1. Why not more water when they first hit the garage? Does someone have to pay for the water. It flamed up pretty badly the second time.
2. Could the neighbors have done more before you showed up. I know a few garden hoses don't do much, but could they have helped?
I'll take a shot at question #2 cause I'm not a firefighter so I can't answer #1.
Garden hoses won't do shit!!!! I tried when our garage went up. Its just not enough water. As for moving the truck, when your house catches on fire you panic and don't think straight. Plus maybe the guys keys were in the house. It is a terrible experience and I don't wish it on anybody.

phebus
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
1. Putting water on the fire from the exterior tends to push the fire. Unless your ready to initiate an interior attack, an exterior attack tends to worsen conditions.
2. The best thing the neighbors could have done was to access the 911 system as soon as possible (don't assume it has been done), try and account for all residents and make sure they don't try and re-enter the structure, and clear the street for arriving fire units and try to keep it clear of looky loo's.

IGOTSHOTGUN
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
For a recent graduate of a fire academy, that video got my heart pumping big time. Can't wait till I get the chance to do it for real.... On a related subject, I have a question for all the FF's on here. I have been an EMT for about a year now, and AMR OC just shut down so I lost my job. I got hired with another private (CARE) but haven't started yet. Do you think I should continue working on the box, or should I go and work construction? I heard a lot of departments like guys who can swing a hammer. I have swung a hammer in the past, but it has been awhile. Thank you

phebus
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
You do what you have to do for you and your family, but when I sat on oral boards, I always liked it when a person was working in a related trade, and was keeping their skills up. I say stick with the ambulance company, become a reserve, and try to go to medic school. You will be a better candidate.

little rowe boat
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Knowledge of building construction is huge in the fire service, but so is practical experience ex. reserve ff, working for AMR. They all look good on a resume. So like Phebus said do whats best for you and your family.

HatenWinter
03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Im sure TPI will respond but here's my 2 cents:
1. When the engine first arrived on scene there wasn't too much fire coming out of the garage. They were setting up to initiate an interior attack with the 1&3/4" line (most common) which is also pre-connected to the pump. This is generally the first line put into place on a quick attack scenario. A larger line may have knocked the fire down quicker but keep in mind when the engine arrived on scene and started pumping that line they only had the 500 gallons of water in their tank. This would give them a little less than 5 minutes worth of water. If they chose a 2&1/2" line they would have about 2 minutes worth. The engineer (TPI) had to get a supply line connected to a hydrant which was 75 feet away in order to provide more water/bigger lines.
2. Garden hoses would do very little on a fire like that.
3. The owners keys were probably in the house.

IGOTSHOTGUN
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I already am a Reserve. I just don't want to get stuck doing IFT's because of seniority reasons. Thank you for your advice.

TPI
03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Swing a hammer, work the ambulance, go to medic school, and become a volunteer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don 't forget to keep your education rolling:D

TPI
03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Also,
The video will always raise certain questions, which is understandable, but everything I saw from the fire engine looked great. We do not have 4 person engine companies, and our equipment is spread out pretty well throughout the city, so we try to do the best we can, as quick as possible, with our limited resources. It definately would have been nice if the homeowner/neighbor could have worked together to get the garage cleared out, along with the driveway. There must have been 20+ teenagers and young guys watching from across the street, and they could have helped,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,when weird things happen,,,,,,,,,,,,people get weird too I guess.
I really would hate to see the chaos around CA if a terrorist act took place. It would take all of our manpower just to manage the public, let alone any other problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

little rowe boat
03-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Also,
The video will always raise certain questions, which is understandable, but everything I saw from the fire engine looked great. We do not have 4 person engine companies, and our equipment is spread out pretty well throughout the city, so we try to do the best we can, as quick as possible, with our limited resources. It definately would have been nice if the homeowner/neighbor could have worked together to get the garage cleared out, along with the driveway. There must have been 20+ teenagers and young guys watching from across the street, and they could have helped,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,when weird things happen,,,,,,,,,,,,people get weird too I guess.
I really would hate to see the chaos around CA if a terrorist act took place. It would take all of our manpower just to manage the public, let alone any other problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What is the size of the dept. you work for???

4day!!
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
great video, that's some good stuff there. That fire sure took off quick. Love hearing those saws running:D
Damn, i need to get back on a truck.

phebus
03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
great video, that's some good stuff there. That fire sure took off quick. Love hearing those saws running:D
Damn, i need to get back on a truck.
I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse then a life on a truck. :D Sleeping at night would've sounded good though.

CBadDad
03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
When I first got on the FD I was glad I wasn't ridin' a box (ambulance) anymore, and the engine was great.
Now I'm in a double house (we rotate back and forth onto the pump & truck). I can't be bothered with the Engine Co. Pulling hose is over rated. Forcable entry, ventilation, rescue, ladders is where it's at.
Not too mention sleeping thru all of the MA's. :D

TPI
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
What is the size of the dept. you work for???
Ventura County Fire Dept has 31 stations with one new one on the way. We cover from Simi Valley to Ojai. Ventura City and Oxnard City both have their own departments @ approx 6 stations each.

Havasu1986
03-06-2007, 04:43 PM
To bad the house didn't have residential fire sprinklers. It would have been a mop up job instead of a total loss. Yes I work in the fire sprinkler business for over 25 years.:)

Focker
03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Ventura County Fire Dept has 31 stations with one new one on the way. We cover from Simi Valley to Ojai. Ventura City and Oxnard City both have their own departments @ approx 6 stations each.
TPI
STATION 41 IS OFF TAPO?
I SPENT LOTS OF TIME THERE.
MY NEIGHBOR RETIRED FROM THERE HIS NAME IS jERRY cRABTREE.
GREAT VIDEO AND GREAT WORK
HOW CAN I SEND THAT TO JERRY? HE NOW LIVES IN OREGON.

blackcloud75
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
........would have been a mop up job instead of a total loss.
the other part of truck work............squeeges and covers:D

TPI
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
TPI
STATION 41 IS OFF TAPO?
I SPENT LOTS OF TIME THERE.
MY NEIGHBOR RETIRED FROM THERE HIS NAME IS jERRY cRABTREE.
GREAT VIDEO AND GREAT WORK
HOW CAN I SEND THAT TO JERRY? HE NOW LIVES IN OREGON.
I think you could just right click on that blue link and paste it to a regular e-mail. It should go. Or just have him go to "You Tube" and enter "house burn" under the search menu. Staion 41 is on Church st, between Sycamore and Tapo Canyon off of Los Angeles Ave.

Focker
03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I think you could just right click on that blue link and paste it to a regular e-mail. It should go. Or just have him go to "You Tube" and enter "house burn" under the search menu. Staion 41 is on Church st, between Sycamore and Tapo Canyon off of Los Angeles Ave.
HEY THANKS ILL GET IT TO HIM
IS TAPO 40?

TPI
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
The one up Tapo st is 46. 46 was the third piece of equipment on the fire.

Partycattin
03-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Gary,
Were you working the day of the fire on Eve Road (right before x-mas)?

seanv
03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
thanks for the video!! great job to the medic that saved the dog!

BOBALOO
03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
To bad the house didn't have residential fire sprinklers. It would have been a mop up job instead of a total loss. Yes I work in the fire sprinkler business for over 25 years.:)
I am doing a remodel/addition and was required to fire sprinkler my house. I sleep a little better at night now, and worry a little less when I'm away. I wasn't too happy about paying the water co to bore across the street to the trunk line, but it was cheaper overall than replacing the closest fire hydrant and the line going to it. (only flows 650 GPM on a 4" line in the winter):jawdrop:

TPI
03-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Gary,
Were you working the day of the fire on Eve Road (right before x-mas)?
I am pretty sure the "B" shift was on that day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I missed that one.

blackcloud75
03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
We had a well-involved SFD structure at 0313 this morning....
all due to an unattended candle........resulting in first-in crews attending to 3 critically burned patients, mother, father, and 5 y/o girl. Other siblings were unharmed.

CBadDad
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
That sucks!

75MillerJet
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Awesome video. Was Guy Brown or Randy Gilbert on that fire? Also, if you don't mind me asking Gary, what is your last name? Did you see any Ventura College Medic interns out there? Can't wait to finish school and get out there!

sangervdrive
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
RD
Exact thing I thought too. That one person you could hear was hysterical, I prolly would have slapped her.

slingingsmoke
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I saw the squaddies park on the perpendicular street....what is their role on structures? Utilities, 2nd line, medical only, RIC???
Also, do you guys lay a line when you see a header or does the 2nd in engine establish water supply?
FWIW..Good stop, w/ limited personnel and the exposures soo close, you guys did a great job. Hey, maybe the video will make it to the County board and maybe you'll get 4-man engines (:idea: )

TPI
03-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Awesome video. Was Guy Brown or Randy Gilbert on that fire? Also, if you don't mind me asking Gary, what is your last name? Did you see any Ventura College Medic interns out there? Can't wait to finish school and get out there!
Nope,
None of those guys were on this fire, and my last name is Taylor.
Also,
The medics were Ric on this fire. But they did a lot of other jobs in the mean time. It just depends when they arrive. Sometimes the assist with support. As far as laying a line, it depends on Hydrant location. We knew there was a hydrant 75' past the house, so I just hand jacked it and pumped off of the tank for a couple minutes. We will lay in if there is not a hydrant nearby. Our computer screen in front of the Captain's seat on the engine has a water main grid that lays over thge street map. It shows all of the water in the city.

blackcloud75
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Nope,
The medics were Ric on this fire. But they did a lot of other jobs in the mean time. It just depends when they arrive. Sometimes the assist with support. As far as laying a line, it depends on Hydrant location. We knew there was a hydrant 75' past the house, so I just hand jacked it and pumped off of the tank for a couple minutes. We will lay in if there is not a hydrant nearby. Our computer screen in front of the Captain's seat on the engine has a water main grid that lays over thge street map. It shows all of the water in the city.
So that explains the dog rescue................... Did he tqke the dog's B/P?Or start a line since he had his drug box....:D
Our fire last night, the second -in engine misread their map and dropped all 800 feet of supply, 35 feet short of the first-in engine blocking acess from the west......closest plug was only 30 feet off the engine's front suction, uhhh whoops.....we had to spot the tiller a ways down road and hike......fun..fun:mad:

RVRKID
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
So that explains the dog rescue................... Did he tqke the dog's B/P?Or start a line since he had his drug box....:D
Our fire last night, the second -in engine misread their map and dropped all 800 feet of supply, 35 feet short of the first-in engine blocking acess from the west......closest plug was only 30 feet off the engine's front suction, uhhh whoops.....we had to spot the tiller a ways down road and hike......fun..fun:mad:
Where were you sittin on the second-in engine L.B.? :idea: :)

blackcloud75
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Where were you sittin on the second-in engine L.B.? :idea: :)
Nope....fourth-in.........I do have a bad habit reading maps upside down aka encirclement approach/arrival/on scene........:D

Jordy
03-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Got some real MENSA types giving narration in the background on that one... LOL :D :D :D

RT21
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Another impressive thing is those tree trimmers. Dang, through all that, I could still hear them trimming away down the street.

al cole'holic
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
..hey I know brown guy :D

Trailer Park Casanova
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
It was over on Wycoft....To my untrained eye it seem to go smooth....I mean your watching your house burn down time seems to stand still!
I owned the house 4 doors to the left..
Small world.

blackcloud75
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Another impressive thing is those tree trimmers. Dang, through all that, I could still hear them trimming away down the street.
That's funny....:D But not the tree trimmers

al cole'holic
03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I owned the house 4 doors to the left..
Small world.
..this house on here is on Celia, off Goddard just west of Tapo Canyon :)

phebus
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Getting assigned to the RIC team is like having your parents drop you off at Disneyland and watching everyone else have fun in the park, while your standing at the fence in the parking lot, looking in.
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play............................:D