PDA

View Full Version : Need help and opinions on boat choice

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I am trying to decide on a boat and I could use everyone's opinion on manufacturers, pricing etc. I am in the market for a v-bottom and have pretty much decided that I want a 25+ foot model. I have looked at Cobra, Ultra and Commander. I have my opinions on all 3 boats and I would like to hear everyone's experience and input on these and any other manufacturers that I should look at. The problem that I am having is that what I want will cost me about $90K if I go with Cobra or Ultra's new 26'. Commander was much more reasonably priced, but I have heard a few people talk not too highly of their quality. Of coarse I want to get the best deal, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I am confused and truthfully I am pretty uninformed. Your help is definitely appreciated. Thanks

AZJD
03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh boy!:D Here we go!

cc322
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
See below:D

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Going to look at Lavey craft this weekend!!

WYRD
03-05-2007, 12:08 PM
DanaBoats.com (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.aFeOxFNmYApdtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3MnN2ZXA 3BGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANDUzAxX zEzMA--/SIG=11drv992d/EXP=1173211653/**http://www.danaboats.com/)
Ask for Rhett:idea:

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I've had my Commander 26 Signature for 2 years now. The boat itself has been very good to me. The problems I have had have all been on the engine side of things. When I have needed help or advice from Commander they've been more than willing to help. BTW, I bought my boat used, not from Commander. Quality is there for the money you will spend on a Commander. Cobra and Ultra are very nice boats and Cobra was actually my first choice but did not find a used one at the time I was looking. Now the difference in prices between those boat makers you mentioned is not insignificant. I chose to keep some of my money in the bank and not tied into a depreciating asset. Also why I didn't buy a new boat too. All 3 will take you to the sandbar and back, it just depends how much you want to spend on your ride there. Just my .02.

Cole Trickle
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Go look at the 25' Shockwave as well.
Bigger than the rest and a great bargain for what they offer.:) :)

dumbandyoung
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Buy a Commander and tell them I sent you so I can get that $1000 referal fee.;)

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
What does a 25 shockwave run with HO, bravo 1, offshore controls etc.?

havaduner
Is Commander still in business? I heard from someone a few weeks ago when they went there the doors were locked, and other than boats in their yard, the place was empty.

Jyruiz
I am a happy Commander owner of a 26' Signature, the boat has been great for our family. I know more people who are happy with there Commanders than people who are not. Actually I only know one ex unhappy Commander owner. I know there is a lot of people here who bash them with out ever owning one, just like they bash other boats on here they have never owned. Either way, good luck with what ever you decide.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
DumbandYoung. My buddy has an 06 26 sig. and if I gave the referral to you, I think he would be kinda pissed:D

Cole Trickle
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
What does a 25 shockwave run with HO, bravo 1, offshore controls etc.?
Approx 65K-70K
www.shockwaveboats.com
I am not a company chearleader but that boat is a great bargain and bigger than other companies 25-27' boats:)

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Is Commander still in business? I heard from someone a few weeks ago when they went there the doors were locked, and other than boats in their yard, the place was empty.
I was just there on Saturday and they are still open. I think I can make a smokin deal on one of their boats.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:20 PM
A few weeks ago I drove by their Corona location and it seemed normal to me. Granted I did not stop. Interesting.

dumbandyoung
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
DumbandYoung. My buddy has an 06 26 sig. and if I gave the referral to you, I think he would be kinda pissed:D
bummer:D
Personally I would go with the Corba or Ultra.. Maybe even the Lightning.. Good luck on whatever you choose. Buy what ever boat you like the most, its your boat.

Havasu1986
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Drove past there on the 91 fwy yesterday and the doors were open but only a couple boats outside.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I was just there on Saturday and they are still open. I think I can make a smokin deal on one of their boats.
That's one thing I appreciated about them while I was still looking at buying new. They were always willing to deal.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I really liked the cobra, but $90K is more than I want to spend this year. I just sold my wakeboarding boat and bought a sandrail in Oct., so I am little hesitant to spend a load on a boat right now.

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I also purchased my boat used, but Commander treated me great when I went into the Corona store. The previous owner had the detachable face stolen from his boat, I went by the Corona store and they gave me the same face plate with out charge. They thanked me for buying a Commander and gave me sitickers and offer to answer any questions I had. I don't think I could have been treated any better for buying a used boat from somebody else.

That Guy
03-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Not to further cloud your picture...but we have a 25' Advantage and we love it. Problem free and great people to work with....good luck...:)

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I also purchased my boat used, but Commander treated me great when I went into the Corona store. The previous owner had the detachable face stolen from his boat, I went by the Corona store and they gave me the same face plate with out charge. They thanked me for buying a Commander and gave me sitickers and offer to answer any questions I had. I don't think I could have been treated any better for buying a used boat from somebody else.
That's "Commander Care" for ya buddy. :D

havaduner
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I am trying to decide on a boat and I could use everyone's opinion on manufacturers, pricing etc. I am in the market for a v-bottom and have pretty much decided that I want a 25+ foot model. I have looked at Cobra, Ultra and Commander. I have my opinions on all 3 boats and I would like to hear everyone's experience and input on these and any other manufacturers that I should look at. The problem that I am having is that what I want will cost me about $90K if I go with Cobra or Ultra's new 26'. Commander was much more reasonably priced, but I have heard a few people talk not too highly of their quality. Of coarse I want to get the best deal, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I am confused and truthfully I am pretty uninformed. Your help is definitely appreciated. Thanks
If price is your driver, buy the commander. If their quality is an issue, look at another boat, remember you get what you pay for. A friend of mine bought a 26 sig, and lots of little things wrong with the boat. Look at how accessories are attached to the boat. Cobra and Ultra both thru bolt as much as possible, where I have seen several self tapping screws in a commander. Look at interior, is it triple stitched at the seams, and what is the weight of the material. Cobra uses stainless hand rails on an open bow, stainless framed bimini tops, Commander's I believe are still aluminum. Little things add up quickly in boat building, and not always the obvious but things like the type of guages used, steering wheel, hardware used in the bilge and under the dash, and dont forget about the trailer. Cobra uses Extreme, which most peeps agree are most likely the best built. Ultra uses Extreme as well, which are more expensive than most other trailers. Commander gets a majority of their trailers from Ellis, which I dont know much about. I dont like to bash anybodies boat, I am just sharing my observations from my boat buying experiences (as well as a friends).

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I am also looking at used boats too, so if anybody knows of something that fits, i would appreciate that info too. Like I said, I am open to any manufacturer if the quality and price are there. I really don't want to spend more than about $60K-$70K right now.

havaduner
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
A few weeks ago I drove by their Corona location and it seemed normal to me. Granted I did not stop. Interesting.
I hadnt heard or read anything on the boards, but the info I got was supposedly first hand, so I will take it my info was bad.

Magic
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I really liked the cobra, but $90K is more than I want to spend this year. I just sold my wakeboarding boat and bought a sandrail in Oct., so I am little hesitant to spend a load on a boat right now.
90K for a 25' V-Bottom with an HO ???

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
90K for a 25' V-Bottom with an HO ???
26' Cobra V with HO, bravo1, offshore, and a few other extras is just under $90K. The base on that boat is $84,900. Ultra said close to the same for their new 26'.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
If price is your driver, buy the commander. If their quality is an issue, look at another boat, remember you get what you pay for. A friend of mine bought a 26 sig, and lots of little things wrong with the boat. Look at how accessories are attached to the boat. Cobra and Ultra both thru bolt as much as possible, where I have seen several self tapping screws in a commander. Look at interior, is it triple stitched at the seams, and what is the weight of the material. Cobra uses stainless hand rails on an open bow, stainless framed bimini tops, Commander's I believe are still aluminum. Little things add up quickly in boat building, and not always the obvious but things like the type of guages used, steering wheel, hardware used in the bilge and under the dash, and dont forget about the trailer. Cobra uses Extreme, which most peeps agree are most likely the best built. Ultra uses Extreme as well, which are more expensive than most other trailers. Commander gets a majority of their trailers from Ellis, which I dont know much about. I dont like to bash anybodies boat, I am just sharing my observations from my boat buying experiences (as well as a friends).
My 26 has SS bow rails, SS Bimini frame, through bolted on just about everything. I have a Competitive Trailer. BTW, I thought Ellis made a very good trailer?????
I'm not trying to erase whatever history is written about Commander. Nor am I trying to argue with you. I'm just stating that Commander is a decent boat for the money you will spend. It's not up on the name scales such as Hallet, DCB etc but it's not in the slums as many have portrayed them to be. I have been very happy with my 26 sig. And I would even buy their 29, which has been something in the back of my mind for sometime now.

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
My trailer is a competitive and the rails are all stainless steel as well as both the biminis I have from Commander. The boat is also triple stitched.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
26' Cobra V with HO, bravo1, offshore, and a few other extras is just under $90K. The base on that boat is $84,900. Ultra said close to the same for their new 26'.
WOW, they've come up quite a bit in the past 2 years. There is a couple 26's in the trader right now in the mid 60K range. May want to look at them.

dumbandyoung
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I am also looking at used boats too, so if anybody knows of something that fits, i would appreciate that info too. Like I said, I am open to any manufacturer if the quality and price are there. I really don't want to spend more than about $60K-$70K right now.
If you will go to 23' heres a nice deal.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142493

Havasu_Dreamin
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Commander gets a majority of their trailers from Ellis, which I dont know much about.
Nobody get's Ellis trailers any longer as they closed their doors in November.....

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah it kinda sucks because I really like the cobra. I am tempted to buy the 23' Cobra, but I think that I would be unhappy with it's performance on the lakes. They are nice boats though.

Hotcobra270
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
shockwave was my 2nd choice right after cobra.. Barry was totally nice and spent about an hour with us just showing us the boats. That 25 is really big and its tested at 71 mph with an ho. i went with cobra because of the hidden bimini feature and we wanted a size between 26 and 28..

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Is the lightning 23' hull deeper than the cobra 23' and the ultra 24'?

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Thats a very nice boat, I paid $1100 more for my 05 Commander with only 7 more hours on it, a 496, offshore controls and one heck of a system, couple other options as well. This was at the end of 05 as well when boat sales where at there peak.

jbtrailerjim
03-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I have an Ultra and I'm very happy with it. John West and the whole crew at Ultra were great to deal with through the whole build process. That new 26 Stealth is going to be sick. I'm sure John West will be discounting the first few or so he builds. He usually does that with new models.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I talked to him on Saturday and he was saying mid $80's. I just don't want to spend that much this year.

jbtrailerjim
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
The Cobra and the Lightning 23 are the same hull. The Ultra 24 Stealth is bigger than both of those boats and has a little more freeboard.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 01:06 PM
is this different than the newer 24'?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/6/87470826.htm

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, the updated 24 Stealth is bigger inside and a deeper V, much better in the chop. I like the built in swim step of the previous 24 though.

spectras only
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I am also looking at used boats too, so if anybody knows of something that fits, 60K-$70K right now.
Contact 'Dilligaf' here . He's got a used 25' boat , albeit less than a year old :D .

SHOTKALLIN
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
:confused: I like the Commander 29. Great looking boat. I went to the factory in Perris to see the build quality. I was extremely turned off with the rub rail that Commander uses. Specifically the way it is cut at the rear of the boat where the swim step is. It looks like my 3 year old cut it with a butter knife. Then the un even cut of the rub rail has some putty slapped on it to smooth out the rough edges. I was standing there with Sy the owner of Commander and I asked him about the crappy rub rail. Sy said thats how they do it. His words. Then I thought "Note to self don't buy a Commander." How are you gonna build a custom boat that costs a 100K and have something look like that? :confused:

jbtrailerjim
03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
That is different. That is the same model as my boat. That is the 247XS. Which stands for 24' 7". The swim step is included in that measurement. Really only about 23' of running surface. Ultra does not build that boat anymore. They sold the mold to Lightning. The 24 Stealth that Ultra builds is a full 24' boat with no built in swim step. It also has a wider beam.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
:confused: I like the Commander 29. Great looking boat. I went to the factory in Perris to see the build quality. I was extremely turned off with the rub rail that Commander uses. Specifically the way it is cut at the rear of the boat where the swim step is. It looks like my 3 year old cut it with a butter knife. Then the un even cut of the rub rail has some putty slapped on it to smooth out the rough edges. I was standing there with Sy the owner of Commander and I asked him about the crappy rub rail. Sy said thats how they do it. His words. Then I thought "Note to self don't buy a Commander." How are you gonna build a custom boat that costs a 100K and have something look like that? :confused:
Lemme guess, you went with a Water Rod instead. :D

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Contact 'Dilligaf' here . He's got a used 25' boat , albeit less than a year old :D .
can you elaborate? i really haven't figured out how to pm yet so maybe you could tell me a little about the boat, brand, price features etc??? Thanks

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
can you elaborate? i really haven't figured out how to pm yet so maybe you could tell me a little about the boat, brand, price features etc??? Thanks
He sold that boat a while ago.

Biglue
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I believe River 918 has a 25'r for sale. Closed bow I think.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Gotta be open bow... The wife says so:redface:

spectras only
03-05-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.shockwaveboats.com/
25 Shockwave openbow . Didn't know Dilligaf sold his already :eek: .
I prefer the closed bow , so give river 918 a call , see if he'd give you a test ride :idea: . Try a 25 Howard as well .Less freeboard but quality none the less.

jbtrailerjim
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Here is a real nice boat in the price range your looking to spend. It's tough to beat the quality of a Hallett.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141833

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I saw that boat. My friend has had a Hallet for 12 years now and he still loves it. They are very nice boats.

rivercrazy
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
The 25 Shockwave Tremor is an outstanding boat at a very reasonable price. I have one with 4 full summers on it and its still like brand new.

Opinionated
03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help so far. I am going to look at everything before I buy. I will probably step up well into the 6 figure mark in the next couple years, but for now I just want a nice 70mph V bottom for the family.

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help so far. I am going to look at everything before I buy. I will probably step up well into the 6 figure mark in the next couple years, but for now I just want a nice 70mph V bottom for the family.
It is probably going to be hard to find a V bottom 25, 26'r under 70k that does 70mph. You are probably going to be looking at something with a lot of hours and probably older than you would like, specially with the season among us. Good luck either way and I hope you find something for you and your family to have a good time in this summer, nothing beats the lake with the family.

dumbandyoung
03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I dont know if the hull is deeper. I would call them up. or see if its on their web page.
lightningcustomboats.com...i think

DAB
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Opiniponated, give Chris or Bob a call over at Shockwave. I think they're still doing 06' prices on '07 models. w/HO, offshore controls, pretty much fully loaded and I know at the show they were doing deals... (951)898-9360
David

AirtimeLavey
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
March issue of Boating magazine did a comparison of 4 boats; Advantage 27 Victory, Lavey Craft 26 NuEra, Nordic 28 Heat, and Ultra 28 Stealth. They put 496 MAG HOs in all of them, and propped them all the same w/a 24, 4-blade. All had their plus and minuses, but Lavey won overall and best value. Good read. You can find this mag. in most grocery stores.
I have a Lavey 24 NuEra and love it. Any bigger, and I think you lose something (a good holeshot for one) if you like skiing, tubing, etc. As much as I like the Lavey, the Ultra in the article should looks nice. That would be my second choice.
Good luck.

ElimJimsOtherHalf
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
The cut on insurance rates seem to be a lot lower for 26' and longer (especially with more hp). Did the 25' and are paying the price.

dumbandyoung
03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Opiniponated, give Chris or Bob a call over at Shockwave. I think they're still doing 06' prices on '07 models. w/HO, offshore controls, pretty much fully loaded and I know at the show they were doing deals... (951)898-9360
David
they are.
Call them opinionated

River918
03-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Here's mine...If you'd liketo see it, it's at Shockwave right now...I'll be taking to back to storage at the river within the next couple weeks.
2006 Shockwave 25’ Tremor, Open Bow/Cuddy:
- Only 40 hrs, Serviced in August (No running time since)
- Boat has Arizona registration, no sales tax if you register it there
- Over 20k in extras
- 496 Mag/Ho, Bravo 1x drive
- IMCO Full hydraulic steering, with billet helm
- Drive shower
- Dana Tabs w/ indicator
- Dana hatch hinges
- Halon System
- Aqua Step
- Autometer Platinum Gauges
- Polished shifters
- Pewter billet hardware
- Drop out bolsters
- Transom trim switch
- 10” grab handles
- Locking cabin door
- 4 Batteries
- Storage cover
- Bimini top
- 2,800 watt stereo with the following:
Sony head unit, with remote
Sony 6 disk changer
2 amps (1-2,000 watt and 1-800 watt)
4 10” Kicker subs (also has “Extreme” billet grills)
4 Pioneer 6 x 9’s
4 Pioneer 6 1/2’s
Dash and Transom mounted remotes
Extreme trailer (white), with the following:
L.E.D. lights
Chrome fenders
Spare tire
Folding tongue
Price: $69,500
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/P1170012.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P1170024-11111.jpg
The pockets on the bottom of the dask are not discolored, that's just the way the picture came out.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/2670P1030007-1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/2670P2200022-1.jpg

SHOTKALLIN
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Lemme guess, you went with a Water Rod instead. :D
Scoopy's rub rail looks a whole lot better than Sy's, but I'm not buyin from that nut either.:D

eman1625
03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
We looked at the shockwave 25 but ended up going with the Cobra 26. Your gonna pay more for the cobra but I have to say we are really happy with the boat and the service. We have no regrets on spending the extra $$. We had a shockwave before we bought the cobra and it was a great boat as well. We liked the open cabin area on the cobra especially with the kids and being so hot in the summer. That area down below actually gets decent air flow.

20" gun's
03-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Kachina for me. Check them out. You cant get a boat so custom for the money any where. He has been building boats for over 40 years. I have owned 2 and they are rock solid.

Member: 7673
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the mention jbtrailerjim owe you a beer:)

work2play
03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Don't spend your money till you go see Rhett at Dana Boats. He's right across the street from Cobra.Not a better person to work with than Rhett. His 23 ft boat is bigger inside than most 25"s. Seeing is believing.

buzzaro
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah it kinda sucks because I really like the cobra. I am tempted to buy the 23' Cobra, but I think that I would be unhappy with it's performance on the lakes. They are nice boats though.
We've got the 23' Cobra and love it, for us its a great boat. Performance wise it seems very good to me, but its our first boat so I dont have tons of experience or comparisons. Handles chop and is well mannered. Lake Shasta on a bad day is the worst chop ive been in so I couldnt tell you about havasu on a holiday or anything.

blackcloud75
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Here is a deal!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139624

YeLLowBoaT
03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I would take a good look at this...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141619

Jyruiz
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
I would take a good look at this...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141619
That boat is awesome, and it is registered in AZ so one would save on the tax.

silver surfer
03-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I just sold my 25' Commander and purchased a used 27'Hallett. What a difference in the ride and quality. Commander's rigging is average. The electrical rigging needs to be carefully monitored. The hull design is average and their boats overall speed and effeciency suffer. Visual appearance good. Customer Service poor.
Just my opinion.

Concept1
03-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Theres a REALLY nice Adrenelin in the spam sextion thats really cheap. Id look at that as well.

Redrider
03-17-2007, 04:22 PM
How about a 2005 Howard Bullet? Nicer than new!!! If interested IM me.
Bill

hotlavey
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Call Justin at Hallett 714-3450666-