PDA

View Full Version : another mag. compares 4 midcab bowriders....Lavey..

AirtimeLavey
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
March issue of another "Boating" magazine did a comparison of 4 boats; Advantage 27 Victory, Lavey Craft 26 NuEra, Nordic 28 Heat, and Ultra 28 Stealth. They put 496 MAG HOs, w/Bravo One X drives in all of them, and propped them all the same w/a 24, 4-blade. All had their plus and minuses, but Lavey won overall and best value. Tried for apples to apples and came pretty close, but I suppose some would argue that it still wasn't apples to apples, w/even the slightest of size differences.
I have a Lavey 24 NuEra w/a 502 MAG, and love it. Any bigger, and I think you lose something (a good holeshot for one) if you like skiing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc.
As much as I like the Lavey, the Ultra in the article def. looks nice. That would be my second choice.

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I need to pick up that issue and check it out, but I don't think it is apples to apples. Two feet on a boat can add a lot of weight and change the ride dramatically, they should stick to the same size boats.

AirtimeLavey
03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
I need to pick up that issue and check it out, but I don't think it is apples to apples. Two feet on a boat can add a lot of weight and change the ride dramatically, they should stick to the same size boats.
I kinda thought the same thing. They did compare other aspects, though; performance, construction, accomodations, standard opts., etc.
Btw, yours is a good looking boat. I saw it once at Havasu Springs w/the previous owners.

ULTRA28
03-05-2007, 03:38 PM
It was a real fair article. I like doing the apples to apples evaluations. They have a hard time getting enough builders to show up to do them for some reason. This is the second test they did like this. Last year they did one for cats 26' to 28' with 496 mag HOs. Yeah, each boat will have it's advantages and disadvantages, but it does give a realistic test of like boats in the same water/temp/elevation conditions.

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I kinda thought the same thing. They did compare other aspects, though; performance, construction, accomodations, standard opts., etc.
Btw, yours is a good looking boat. I saw it once at Havasu Springs w/the previous owners.
Thanks, hopefully we will meet out there this year, nothing better than having a cold drink with a fellow Laker fan.:)

AirtimeLavey
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
It was a real fair article. I like doing the apples to apples evaluations. They have a hard time getting enough builders to show up to do them for some reason. This is the second test they did like this. Last year they did one for cats 26' to 28' with 496 mag HOs. Yeah, each boat will have it's advantages and disadvantages, but it does give a realistic test of like boats in the same water/temp/elevation conditions.
Mostly all good things to say about yours, which was the biggest of the group...."highest-quality components for it's price....including Livorsi Marine Platinum Series...etc."
Sweet looking boat, best of the group, imo. I'll definitely be talking to you when I'm done w/the Lavey. :cool:

AirtimeLavey
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks, hopefully we will meet out there this year, nothing better than having a cold drink with a fellow Laker fan.:)
Cool. Just don't mistake mine for Dilligaf's Laker colors boat. Oh yeah, I guess he sold that one. :devil:

Outnumbered
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
That is good to hear from a true expert in the industry. Thanks for the input.
Although it was a comparison test, it is hard to put a subjective measure on something like style and design. I think Ultra is in the top ranks for looks for what its worth.

RiverToysJas
03-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Good for Lavey!!!!
We love our 21! I'll bump up to another Lavey when this boat is not serving it's purpose for us anymore....but I don't see that happening anytime soon. ;) ....I sometimes think the extra width of the 24' would be kind nice though.
Ultra builds a beautiful boat as well. I love the accessories they usually sport!
I wish Howard had sent a 28 bullet to that test! I really like the Bullet line.
RTJas :D

***boateditor
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
March issue of another "Boating" magazine did a comparison of 4 boats
Another "Boating" has a magazine?

Mandelon
03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Some manufacturers include the swimstep in their length, some measure only to the back of the wet running hull. As far as I know Lavey doesn't, include it so their 26' could be the same size (overall length) as another's 28'er.

DILLIGAF
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Just don't mistake mine for Dilligaf's Laker colors boat. Oh yeah, I guess he sold that one. :devil:
LOL......The guy who bought it was to run it down in Parker.

RiverToysJas
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Some manufacturers include the swimstep in their length, some measure only to the back of the wet running hull. As far as I know Lavey doesn't, include it so their 26' could be the same size (overall length) as another's 28'er.
Correct! The Lavey "26", is 27' long. Our "21" Laveys are 22' 8". ;)
RTJas :D

Jyruiz
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I wonder if they covered that in their comparison???....If they didn't, they should because that could mean that the 28'rs they tested could actually be 30'rs. I am not saying that they are, but pointing that out would be important for some.

beach gomer
03-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Lavey is the only MFG I know that measures from the nose to the bottom of the transom. The boat measures 27'5".

Nord
03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
LOL......The guy who bought it was to run it down in Parker.
THAT WAS YOUR OLD BOAT??? I think the new owner either lives or frequents the keys.....
~NORD~

Quality Time
03-05-2007, 10:26 PM
If the swim steps/platforms are bolt-ons, they should not be included in the overall length. If it is a molded in (euro style platform) it is included. It is my understanding this is per the USCG.

Kilrtoy
03-05-2007, 10:36 PM
That swimstep accounts for some length , but not running surface...
its more like a 25er
http://www.laveycraft.com/26nu_gallery/images/26nu_large3.jpg

RiverToysJas
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM
That swimstep accounts for some length , but not running surface...
its more like a 25er
http://www.laveycraft.com/26nu_gallery/images/26nu_large3.jpg
As stated above........The boat in the photo is 27'5" long, the bottom running surface is 26'. Most manfactures would call that same boat a 27 or even a 28. How you can say it's more like a 25, many of which are closer to 24, I don't know. :confused:
RTJas