PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from Nostalgia deal at Moses Lake Wa.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 08:58 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Wickens_at_MosesLake.jpg I'll get a few up Tonight.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:06 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Boyds_Lavey.jpg Circle Jerk in person.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:10 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Robin_at_Moses_Lake.jpg The blonde bombshell.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Sweet_Caroline.jpg Check out those Zoomies.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Miss_Miami_at_Moses_Lake.jpg Miss Miami Hydro

dmontzsta
09-28-2003, 09:25 PM
where are the Laveys?

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Continental_Mandella.jpg

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:32 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099AquaCraft.jpg Aquacraft

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:34 PM
the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pics are Laveys

boatguy222
09-28-2003, 09:36 PM
nice pictures Rick!

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:40 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Hondo_Circle_Hull.jpg Hondo Circle Hull. Thats it for tonite, more later.

72 superlite
09-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks Mark. I've got a bunch more, i'll post later. Man that old Biesmeyer of yours hauls butt! That boat(and driver) are so smooth you don't think they're going fast at all. Then you see everyone else a half lap behind.

dmontzsta
09-28-2003, 09:44 PM
72 superlite:
the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pics are Laveys Nice thanks for the info.
Do you know what engines they are running?

boatguy222
09-28-2003, 10:04 PM
72 superlite:
Thanks Mark. I've got a bunch more, i'll post later. Man that old Biesmeyer of yours hauls butt! That boat(and driver) are so smooth you don't think they're going fast at all. Then you see everyone else a half lap behind. Ya, I know, all it took was the right driver, LOL

GofastRacer
09-29-2003, 05:06 AM
72 superlite:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Boyds_Lavey.jpg Circle Jerk in person. Hey, I know that boat!!.. :D :D :D

Jet City
09-29-2003, 07:51 AM
Very cool! I really like Bombshell and Jerk's Laveys, very nice looking boats. Those 180 degree headers are way cool on Tinkertoy. I wanted to come out and see this event but the wife roped me into other plans, I've never seen a flattie run full up.

RaysonKid
09-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Great pictures, Lil Bro.
More please.......
Jet City Rebel, You really need to attend one of these races. The Bezer that 72superlite mentioned is one FAST boat. It is so cool to watch. Its acceleration out of a turn is unreal.

09-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Great bunch of pics, Rick....

CircleJerk
09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks Rick! 1st picture: Mr Excitement {spun it out twice and still won} and Ski boat season Champion, 1965 Wickens Aquacraft Marathon High Riser Ford 427, yes, he finally beat the Blonde, 'Cool Bill'! First in the C heat
#2: 1974 Lavey-Craft SS83 {formerly GoFasts boat} with alum rod 396 BBC, 18 gear, 10 1/2X15 menkins and driven by a perfect JeRk whose backside is probably his best feature! 2nd in the fast A class
#3: My wifes Lavey-Craft a 1971 we think Model C just like mine. She finished 2nd in C heat with her 1966 Chevelle 396, 375 horsepower BBC.15 gear, 11X14 stellings
#4: 1976 Lavey-Craft 'Sidewinder' formerly and still named 'Sweet Caroline' and current ProComp recordholder at 104.6 formerly driven by George Nordling and now owned and driven by Muffler Mark! 433 Merlin heads BBC spins 22 gear at 8000! That's in 900 feet folks!
#5: 1960 Conn Craft three point 280 hydro formerly used in a Hollywood B rated movie with 302 power!
#6: Got MILK Boat! 1970 Continental {Mandella splash} 433 pro-stock power 15 gear {HallCraft} driven by the Bush Pilot 'Got Milk and H2O George'
#7: 1968 Aquacraft 427 BBc former ski racer from Portland Oregon, all original gel coat and seating for 5 adults! This boat is our designated 'Sleeper' in other words, IT HAULS in the SKI class. Very cool boat!
#8: Last but not least, 1976 Hondo Sprint bottom T-deck with Super Stock power and a wild roostertail, that's Team Davis and Davis the only team to claim legitimately having beaten the flying George's Bezer, This boat is similar to video guys personal boat so he is their biggest fan!
Thanks again for all you guys supporting us Nosty Outlaws,,,,it hasnt been easy to compete with bigger organizations that DON'T recognize us as a legitimate class worthy of any recognition. :D Hopefully more pictures will appear soon in Hot Boat magazine to reverse this trend. However, we are tickled pink to be able to run with NBRA and NWC and so are the spectators. One former racer said," It's just like it was 30 years ago"! We hope so! I Love v-drives, especially ones that race......JeRkenstYle smile_sp PS: Rick,Got any of the famous 'Honcho' B boat?

superdave013
09-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Sweet pics. I like those lavey too!
Dem zommies are old skool to say the least.
Have any more hydros?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-29-2003, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CircleJerk:
#4: 1976 Lavey-Craft 'Sidewinder' formerly and still named 'Sweet Caroline' and current ProComp recordholder at 104.6 formerly driven by George Nordling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally some clear pics from the guys up north. Great thread!! :cool: Good lookin machinery you guys are playin with.
CJ, What is this Sweet Caroline record??? It doesn't show up in the A.P.B.A. book or web-site??
This is what the book and website lists.
A.P.B.A. SS, PS, K Course & Kilo Records:
5 mile/5 lap
SS: Gordon Jennings Jr.in the "Stars & Stripes" Biesemeyer/chevy 89.55mph 9/28/91 Oroville Ca.
PS: Jeff Gibson in the "Struttin" Biesemeyer/chevy 88.20mph 9/7/03 Yelm, Wa.
K: Gordon Jennings Jr. in the "Freedom" Revenge/chevy 94.98mph Oroville, Ca.
5 mile/4 lap
SS: Lance Faulkner in the "Hot'er Canary" Biesemeyer/chevy 96.42mph 7/20/97 Olympia, Wa.
PS: Jeff Gibson in the "Struttin" Biesemeyer/chevy 100.66mph 9/08/02 Yelm, Wa.
K: Duff Dailey in the "Steeler" Revenge/chrysler 107.16mph 6/25/94 St. Pete, Fl.
5 mile/3 lap
SS: Dave Villwock in the "Good Vibrations" Jones-starfire/chevy 100.28mph 7/28/85 Tumwater, Wa.
PS: Kelly Stocklin in the "Rocket" Jones-starfire/chevy 102.97mph 9/20/97 Yelm, Wa.
K: George Woods Jr. in the "Bad Company" Hondo Sprint/chevy 114.07mph 3/27/83 Yelm, Wa.
Kilo
SS: Lance Faulkner in the "Hot'er Canary" Biesemeyer/chevy 121.18mph 10/17/99 Lincoln City Or.
PS: Danny Loveless in the "Beg, Borrow or Steal" Barron Sprint/pontiac 130.41mph 11/29/98 La Paz Park- Parker, Az.
K: Gordon Jennings Jr. in the "Freedom" Revenge/chevy 146.65mph 9/30/89 Lincoln City, Or.
I don't see any Laveys???
love (patiently waiting to me educated)Jerry G. Lol
Go Blonde :) :) :)

GofastRacer
09-29-2003, 07:48 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
love (patiently waiting to me educated)Jerry G. LolGot to go back to the 70's and early 80's! for that!.. :)

boatguy222
09-29-2003, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by CircleJerk:
#4: 1976 Lavey-Craft 'Sidewinder' formerly and still named 'Sweet Caroline' and current ProComp recordholder at 104.6 formerly driven by George Nordling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally some clear pics from the guys up north. Great thread!! :cool: Good lookin machinery you guys are playin with.
CJ, What is this Sweet Caroline record??? It doesn't show up in the A.P.B.A. book or web-site??
Jerry,
Sweet Caroline holds the 1 2/3 record for Pro Comp, I don't think it's in the current rule book.It's an Old School record
[ September 29, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: boatguy222 ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-29-2003, 08:18 PM
GofastRacer:
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
love (patiently waiting to me educated)Jerry G. LolGot to go back to the 70's and early 80's! for that!.. :) CJ claims the boat is a current Pro-Comp record holder. As we all know, Pro-Comp became Pro-Stock and I don't see any Laveys in the current Pro-Stock speed record list (or any class for that matter). If you guys know of some secret speed records that still exist from 70's or 80's (some of these current ones are 80's) go ahead and let the cat out of the bag, I won't tell anyone!! wink :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-29-2003, 08:20 PM
boatguy222:
Jerry,
Sweet Caroline holds the 1 2/3 record for Pro Comp, I don't think it's in the current rule book.It's an Old School record Thank you Mark.

boatguy222
09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
boatguy222:
Jerry,
Sweet Caroline holds the 1 2/3 record for Pro Comp, I don't think it's in the current rule book.It's an Old School record Thank you Mark. Jerry,
The Records started over when Pro Stock started, the engine requirements changed a little. The Sweet Caroline also maybe hold an SK record when it was on the east coast. Like I said Old School Records

72 superlite
09-29-2003, 09:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099ss83.jpg Records smecords, I've got more pictures. Boyds Lavey

72 superlite
09-29-2003, 09:23 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099mark.jpg The Sidewinder Lavey, and record holder in question, Sweet Caroline

72 superlite
09-29-2003, 09:29 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099George_Nordling.jpg A popular view of this boat. That yellow tank is full of whoop ass.

blondie#1
09-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Jerry, An idea for you. Why dont you just admit that Laveys DO run? and Hondos are circular has beens! eek! Did Ken Dorn just fake it on the SS tour? Or did SS39 RUN HARD? Now, for the latest, ask your buddy Jeff G. how the Jerk did in Chelan against all the ProStocks this last week end! I will give you a clue: he didnt flip and was not lapped, in fact he stayed right with the field earning his license for next year. eek! That performance came from a vintage 396! So, take your head out of the sand box eek! and admit that Laveys are not dead! Sincerely, Your only Blonde racing friend and video admirer! Bomber :D

CircleJerk
09-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Rick, Isnt it sad that all these folks cant hear the sounds that erupted after each 3 minute horn blast? Especially Sweet Carolines zoomies at 8000 rpm?! Heck, my 96 was LOUD enough for me! That's like 32 cylinders firing at random gulping 6+ gallons of 100 proof every mile! Six gallons to the mile is 'Nosty'! {four boats per heat each consume 3-4 gallons of fuel, 2 1/4 miles each race} jawdrop smile_sp Rick, you are sure making us look good, now confess, tell them you are doctoring those pics.... :D
[ September 29, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

72 superlite
09-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Ah, but they could hear, if they had a copy of the video. I always try to get the boats leaving the dock. Thats one of my favorite parts. So buy some blank tapes, so you can make everyone copies and we will make this thing grow. I will continue to post pictures from the event.

RaysonKid
09-30-2003, 08:24 AM
What about the smell? That racing fuel smells so SWEET...
Get the Smell-a-video tapes....
O.K. Boyd.
Heres the deal. Better find a place for this little SBC, 16 foot Marlin to run next summer.
I am going to work a deal on it. I found out that its already been set up for circles. (Snout driven). Please send me the rules and list of what we need to have checked and certified.
Its going to be fun chasing down some big blocks...and passing them!!!

superdave013
09-30-2003, 08:52 AM
72 superlite:
Ah, but they could hear, if they had a copy of the video. I always try to get the boats leaving the dock. Thats one of my favorite parts. So buy some blank tapes, so you can make everyone copies and we will make this thing grow. I will continue to post pictures from the event. Jim Davis sent me a tape a while back. It was freaking sweet! That's some real racing going down up there.

CircleJerk
09-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks Dave, you are right but maybe we should keep it our little secret cause after the big boys come round the mountain, who ever that may be, they wont go home! Like I've said before, we have a v-drive racing revival up here and no one but you guys seem to know about it! I'd like to call us Outlaws from the wild West to an extent.
However, I am content to let my boats value climb and my adrenalin gland keep overproducing!
Jeff, that Marlin has racing history, I'm sure of it. It would make a great Nosty boat and your fans would clammor all over you for autographs as the new 'UNDERDOG' {small block power folks}. :D Cant wait to see you brothers in action. Hey, youll be hard to replace at the dock launching area, but its your time to cruise!!!! JeRkinstuff smile_sp

RaysonKid
09-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Superdave, I believe Rick still has some more pictures of the hydros.
He also got some good footage on tape. The Sweet Caroline flip and the bath that one boat got in the finals.Plus George Nordling giving a driving lesson...
Jerk, I would stay on the dock if I can get a contract like the Longshoremen.
I think too, That the Marlin may have been an E boat at one time.
Gee, I could go for the Rookie award..

DansBlown73Nordic
09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the great pictures.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-30-2003, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blondebombshell:
[QB] Jerry, An idea for you. Why dont you just admit that Laveys DO run? and Hondos are circular has beens! eek! Did Ken Dorn just fake it on the SS tour?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Dorn on the SS tour??? When was that??? Maybe back in the 80's. Ken has been generously displaying and running his classic at a COUPLE of races. With modern engine building thanks to Gordy at Pfaff the boat has probably never been faster. Theres one more reason the boat has been able to run with some of the slower superstocks on the circuit, you can call Dorn yourself to find out that one.
I love old Lavey's and that is partially why you have so much old video of them, but the fact of the matter is ...the Hondo is a faster hull. Send me proof of any old lavey you can running above 140, and I'll promptly shut the hell up.
I'm very proud of the Boydster taking on the big boys. He showed some big ones running on a course like that. :cool:
Why don't you guys take your laveys and bump up 1 of the pro-stock speed records. Just think of the buzz it would create in your neck of the woods...everyone would want a piece of the Blonde and the spinning bald guy because it would mean something.
I love Boyds Clam Bake pipes!! :) :)

FlatRacer
09-30-2003, 03:14 PM
FYI: Pro Comp did NOT "become" Pro Stock. Pro Comp had no cubic inch limit, whereas Pro Stock has a 500c.i. limit. The Pro Comp and SK classes were dropped the same year that Pro Stock came into being. The nice thing about having a record in a defunct class is that the record is forever!
Defunct flatbottom classes include: F service runabout (M), E racing runabout (E), Pro Comp (PC), and Ski racing runabout (SK).
FR :p
P.S. I may be wrong here, but I don't think it was the Lavey that held the record. Jack Kiley ran several boats under the name "Sweet Caroline". I think it was a Biesemeyer or a Revenge that held the record. Sorry Jerkster.
[ September 30, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

ssmike
09-30-2003, 03:29 PM
72 superlite:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Hondo_Circle_Hull.jpg Hondo Circle Hull. Thats it for tonite, more later. Is this a shot of Team Davis????
Looks like they did receive the super stock scoop from me after all :D :D
Looks cool

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-30-2003, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlatRacer:
[QB] FYI: Pro Comp did NOT "become" Pro Stock. Pro Comp had no cubic inch limit, whereas Pro Stock has a 500c.i. limit.
Defunct flatbottom classes include: F service runabout (M), E racing runabout (E), Pro Comp (PC), and SK.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I guess I should have worded this different...I meant the Pro-Comp boats all became Pro-Stock boats (at least down in our neck of the woods) :) But thanks for the correction. :cool: I didn't know the old records were defunct also, but it makes good sense.
[ September 30, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

FlatRacer
09-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Okay, I dug out the old APBA reference books (mine only go back to 1985), and here's what I found out:
There was a Lavey that held two records in the Pro Comp class, but it wasn't "Sweet Caroline". It was named "The Odd Couple", was owned by Michael T. Claveria, and driven by George E. Nordling. It set the 3 lap record at 104.651 mph on 5/29/83, and set the 4 lap record at 98.253 mph on 9/04/83.
"Sweet Caroline" (the Lavey) set the SK class kilo record at 120.422 on 5/04/74 with Gordon Jennings behind the wheel.
Now it's possible that this is the same hull with two different names under two different owners. I don't know. However, if it's true what they're saying about the Lavey in question being a 1976 hull, they must be different hulls as the "Sweet Caroline" Lavey's record is from 1974.
Incidentally, "Sweet Caroline" (the Revenge hull), has the SK class 3 lap record at 101.971 on 2/05/83 with Bob Goettel driving.
I was wrong (maybe). My apologies, Jerky one.
[ September 30, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-30-2003, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlatRacer:"Sweet Caroline" (the Lavey) set the SK class kilo record at 120.422 on 5/04/74 with Gordon Jennings behind the wheel.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll call Gordy Jr. tomorrow and see whats up with this.

blondie#1
09-30-2003, 08:03 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blondebombshell:
[QB] Jerry, An idea for you. Why dont you just admit that Laveys DO run? and Hondos are circular has beens! eek! Did Ken Dorn just fake it on the SS tour?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Dorn on the SS tour??? When was that??? Maybe back in the 80's. Ken has been generously displaying and running his classic at a COUPLE of races. With modern engine building thanks to Gordy at Pfaff the boat has probably never been faster. Theres one more reason the boat has been able to run with some of the slower superstocks on the circuit, you can call Dorn yourself to find out that one.
I love old Lavey's and that is partially why you have so much old video of them, but the fact of the matter is ...the Hondo is a faster hull. Send me proof of any old lavey you can running above 140, and I'll promptly shut the hell up.
I'm very proud of the Boydster taking on the big boys. He showed some big ones running on a course like that. :cool:
Why don't you guys take your laveys and bump up 1 of the pro-stock speed records. Just think of the buzz it would create in your neck of the woods...everyone would want a piece of the Blonde and the spinning bald guy because it would mean something.
I love Boyds Clam Bake pipes!! :) :) Jerry, I know you love the Lavey's to, otherwise you wouldn't of sent us the video's (which are way to cool, THANK YOU). But, I have to give you a fun, bad time like everyone else. Hondo's are great boats to. I drove a Sanger this year, but I didn't like it as well as my Lavey. It was a good boat (this may sound weird)but I couldn't feel what it was going to do. I can with my boat and that seems to keep me out of trouble so far. Go ahead and laugh at that example. Everyone seems to, but I can't find any better way to discribe the difference (for me), between the two different kind of boats. Anyway, thanks again for your video's and the great knowlegde you have with their history. The bomber

72 superlite
09-30-2003, 08:11 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099Sidewinder.jpg Still More pics

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-30-2003, 08:18 PM
blondebombshellAnyway, thanks again for your video's and the great knowlegde you have with their history. The bomber [/QB]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your welcome for the tapes and keep checkin that mail box you never know when I might suprise you guys.
I wish I had great knowledge of Laveys or anything else for that matter!!! pig_flyi
But compliments will get you everywhere. :D

CircleJerk
09-30-2003, 10:02 PM
I will call gentleman George also. He has the record trophy in his rec room that contains half of a Lavey made into a soda fountain.
This black repainted Caroline was the replacement for his Lavey that burned at Haystack Reservoir.
Here's the story: June 1978 George Nordling in 'Still Yur Taxes' followed the powerful super-charged alcohol burning "K's" just to the side of their wakes hoping for a chance to 'slingshot' past the bigger boats. Nordling would need some luck and extrodinary driving skill to hope for a win against the more powerful KRR drivers with his smaller, unblown, gas powered SK racer.
But George was not only going for the $800 purse up for grabs between the top three Ks: A legal class of three was necessary according to the club rules for a winner to collect full prize money and the mortality rate for Ks had been quite high. Ralph Cuppoletti of Portland, worked all weekend trying to fire a just out of the box Revenge from Jimmy's Marine. Ed Talbot in 'Freedom' lost oil pressure and Jim King, in his turbo charged K60 broke down. So it was that RonO Brien in 'Dark Side Of the Moon' and K8 the old Epidemic, formerly owned by Bob Goettel, wheeled side by side into the far turn and 'Still Yur Taxes suddenly slowed, coasting to a stop and we wondered if he would miss the start.
Suddenly, Nordling jumped up from his seat and bailed out! A closer inspection revealed heat waves and a touch of smoke. Fire! In seconds the Lavey was a blazing inferno made worse by the pumping of an electric fuel pump through a broken line. The drain plug was pulled but the fire raged on. Finally a hook was attached to the trim tab hardware and the boat was towed backwards and sank. The worse part of the ordeal, the motor was borrowed from Tim Claveria and his 'Tequila Sunrise'. George told me that it had the best set of weber carbs in the country and in the swap some one left a line loose!
This is the actual news report from Haystack and the reason the Sweet Caroline was bought from Jack Tilley back East and transported, get this, on a West Coast bound truck full of new Eliminator{I THINK} JET boats. This is a true story and this bare hull was renumbered PC871 and refitted with a dual four BBC and set the l04.6 record according to George.
I will find out more if the interest still pursists. I let him win all the time so he oues me some more facts on this matter........ :D

dmontzsta
10-01-2003, 05:47 AM
This is sort of Off Topic. But I heard the name Jim Davis above, and my dad had a old time friend named Jim (Jimmy Davis) and he was a flatbottom owner, just wondering if it is the same guy.
Where does he live?
And did he used to own a Flatty with a blown? rat motor back in the 70's or 80's?

FlatRacer
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Jerk:
So, then are you telling us that "Sweet Caroline" and "The Odd Couple" are the same hull?
Inquiring minds (that have nothing better to do) want to know!

boatguy222
10-01-2003, 06:11 PM
FlatRacer:
Jerk:
So, then are you telling us that "Sweet Caroline" and "The Odd Couple" are the same hull?
FR :p Flat,
That is what the Jerk is trying to say, I believe it was called The Odd couple / Sweet Caroline. The Odd Couple being Tim and George.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-01-2003, 06:47 PM
"Sweet Caroline" (the Lavey) set the SK class kilo record at 120.422 on 5/04/74 with Gordon Jennings behind the wheel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinforcing Flat Racers info...Gordy told me today that his dad, did indeed set this record in said Lavey. If you think about that its pretty freakin unbelieveable, 120 mph with 400 naturally aspirated cubic inches in a (non runner) true flat Lavey back in 1974!!!! :cool: Thats the shit!!!!!! :cool:

CircleJerk
10-02-2003, 08:49 AM
FlatRacer:
Jerk:
FR :p I'll have to call George, I have never heard of this Odd Couple....

CircleJerk
10-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Ya, are you ready to trade in that HOOONDOO? :D I will get to the bottom of this!!! No pun intended smile_sp

CircleJerk
10-02-2003, 08:57 AM
dmontzsta:
This is sort of Off Topic. But I heard the name Jim Davis above, and my dad had a old time friend named Jim (Jimmy Davis) and he was a flatbottom owner, just wondering if it is the same guy.
Couldnt be the same guy......The Jim I know doesnt have any friends!!!! :D However, he does lurk here from time to time and may give you a PM IF he can figure it out...from his bunker style basement keyboard near St.John Wa. !!!!!! wink

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-02-2003, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CircleJerk:
[QB] Ya, are you ready to trade in that HOOONDOO? :D ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why do you have a "B" boat in mind?? Because thats the only possible trade I would make. wink
[ October 02, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

CircleJerk
10-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Funny, like to be or not to 'B'? :p

FlatRacer
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
"B" all you can "B".

CircleJerk
10-04-2003, 09:55 PM
I just talked to George: Pro-Comp,1984 the year, Green Lake the place, 3 lap race on a mile and 2/3s, average speed 104.651 mph official APBA record and later that year, on a mile and 1/4: 98.2 and now some 20 years later that has been bumped to 100 and change!......In my opinion, that was fast for those days!!! By the way George is taking their Bezer to Devils Lake Oregon this next weekend to see what it will do in the Kilo....... heads up Boat Guy.......JeRk smile_sp

Sked
10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
As far as I know none of the Jack Kiely's (SWEET CAROLINE) Laveys set competition records. One did set the kilo record as mentioned and also, as mentioned, the Revenge driven by Goettel set a SK competition record. Kiely had a previous SK competition record in the early 70's with a Rayson Craft (YANKEE STEELER) driven by Mario Squillace. Laveys owned by Carl Grossman (CAROL LYNN) with Mario Squillace driving and one owned and driven by Win Phillips (named either WILD HARE or JUMPIN JACK FLASH) held SK competition records in the 70's. There were two other Laveys I know that held competition records in addition to the PC records mentioned in the above post, they were in the E class, one was Jeff Clune's ZIP and the other was named EL HOMBRE (Don't know owners name). There may very well be some others but I would have to do some research.

CircleJerk
10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
That Win Phillips guy is the one I have been trying to talk to. Isnt his Jumping Jack boat the current Faulkner SS70 Lavey? I saw a 'Wild Hare' wood decker LAVEY circle boat for sale on ebay one day and the next it was gone....could this be the same rare boat discovered? Sweet Caroline was a former Kiley boat but was sold to George after his burnt. All the hardware bolted into Caroline. Sked, can you post those other pictures here for me?? Thanks, JeRk smile_sp

Sked
10-09-2003, 05:39 AM
Jerk, The WILD HARE I remember had a glass deck. Here's the pics.
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake5.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake6.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake7.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake8.JPG

mike&han
10-09-2003, 08:04 PM
THE REST OF THE STORY.............................
The Odd Couple & The Sweet Caroline are the same boat. The story about George buying the boat after his burned is true. George flew to a race in Raleigh NC drove the boat in testing and bought it. This boat is not the boat that Gordon Jennings set the kilo record with at Parker AZ May 4,1974 120.422. One direction was actually over 124mph. And by the way they set the record that previous Thanksgiving weekend in 1973 almost
120 mph but the record was not allowed. there was never a clear reason why. The general feelings were that no one believed a flat bottom with that kind of power could go that fast remember SK 400ci
carbs on gas, they did not do it once they did it twice. This boat was distroyed in a wild flip in Raleigh NC at the Tarheel regatta in June 1975 with Andy Marsh driving. What was left of the boat was turned into a bar by Alex Lavey and it is in Jack Kiely's den, I had a beer on the gunnel just a few weeks ago. I can tell you this
you could not get a Beismayer/Revenge/Cucci/Barron
to run that kind of speed with that kind of power
if your life depended on it.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-09-2003, 09:22 PM
mike&hanI can tell you this
if your life depended on it. [/QB]Hey spinning bald guy, does this give you wood or what????
Not to burst the bubble here but, as impressive as this all is... we really don't know what kind of power those guys were able to twist out of said 400 ci. powerplant. So, this "B" boat slam is pure un-proveable speculation. :D :p

Sked
10-09-2003, 10:11 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
if your life depended on it. Hey spinning bald guy, does this give you wood or what????
Not to burst the bubble here but, as impressive as this all is... we really don't know what kind of power those guys were able to twist out of said 400 ci. powerplant. So, this "B" boat slam is pure un-proveable speculation. :D :p [/QB]Well, lets put it into perspective.
SK - 400cid carbs on gas ------------- Kilo record Lavey -- 120.422 - set May 1974
PC - unlim cid, carbs/inj on gas-------- Kilo record Barron - 121.185 - set May 1978
PS - 500cid carbs/inj on gas/methanol - Kilo record Barron - 118.018 - set Nov. 1988
PS - 500cid carbs/inj on gas/methanol - Kilo record Cucci -- 127.754 - set Nov. 1989
Kiely's Lavey held that kilo record right up to the time the class was retired in 1987 which was well into the Biesemeyer/Revenge/Cucci/Barron era.
I would have to agree with mike&han.

mike&han
10-09-2003, 10:41 PM
So Mr. V Drive Video, you wanted to be educated and you are. Good nite!

CircleJerk
10-09-2003, 11:34 PM
SSSSSSSSHHH wink ........we're not in Kansas anymore........I have {two} friends! wink
Any chance of coming over to Jacks place for a brew? My wife wants to come also......her boat is the red and white SK87 Lavey.......mine is the yellow one....... smile_sp
[ October 10, 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-10-2003, 01:09 PM
JSSK88:
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
if your life depended on it. Hey spinning bald guy, does this give you wood or what????
Not to burst the bubble here but, as impressive as this all is... we really don't know what kind of power those guys were able to twist out of said 400 ci. powerplant. So, this "B" boat slam is pure un-proveable speculation. :D :p Well, lets put it into perspective.
SK - 400cid carbs on gas ------------- Kilo record Lavey -- 120.422 - set May 1974
PC - unlim cid, carbs/inj on gas-------- Kilo record Barron - 121.185 - set May 1978
PS - 500cid carbs/inj on gas/methanol - Kilo record Barron - 118.018 - set Nov. 1988
PS - 500cid carbs/inj on gas/methanol - Kilo record Cucci -- 127.754 - set Nov. 1989
Kiely's Lavey held that kilo record right up to the time the class was retired in 1987 which was well into the Biesemeyer/Revenge/Cucci/Barron era.
I would have to agree with mike&han. [/QB]The current P.S. record is 130mph set by Danny loveless in a Barron with a borrowed drag car motor. It was on gas with carburetors, I was there and have it on tape. I know that record has a lot more left in it and I believe Duff Dailey would agree. When you consider lance ran 121 in his ss boat without even running his kilo motor, it's obvious to those who knew him the 121 would have been pushed even higher. Im just joining in on the speculation around here.
If Laveys are faster than "B" boats, than why aren't any of the current records held by one. Maybe you guys could build a K-Lavey and set a new kilo record proving to the circle boat world fact over speculation.
The World waits..... wink
Hey C.J., is the popcorn hot yet? :D
[ October 10, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-10-2003, 01:15 PM
mike&han:
So Mr. V Drive Video, you wanted to be educated and you are. Good nite! pig_flyi pig_flyi

mike&han
10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
You are missing the point. You start out your post by saying the current PS record. Do you think
that there has been any tech. advances in 30 years. The boats are lighter, and a present day PS
motor should make at least 300 to 350 hp more than
a early 70's sk motor, they have found 25hp just in oil pans, those motors were also flat tappet
motors mild by todays standards. So should we say "wow they are going 130mph", or say "wow, how come they are not going any faster". 6 mph in 29yrs with 300 more hp in a lighter pkg. Please dont misunderstand me i am not trying to take any credit away from anyone who set any record it is a labor of love, blood , sweat, and tears, and I admire anyone who has done it. and I have done myself and I know that everything has to be perfect. But I stand by what I said for shear straightaway speed in a flatbottom circle boat you cannot beat a Lavey.
Now to address some of your other ramarks. Facts are Facts a Lavey will not work as a K Boat
The transom is to narrow it has been tried in the early 70's the Trojan Goast was a Lavey, Gordon Jennings drove it. The boat is just to small. When Alex Lavey sold the shop in 1977 the magic was gone. If anyone knows who has the molds I would order one today.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-10-2003, 04:25 PM
I definately agree that the speeds are low given the time frame. I think if the sport had grown up instead of down the records would be mich higher in every category.
I remember watching the Laveys dominate the E class back in the 70's. These boats also performed well in the other classes especially on non 2 pin courses. I just think its stretching it to say they are faster than the "B" boats when the records do not reflect that. One more point... why do the overwelming majority of circle boat racers run "B" boats instead of laveys??? If the Lavey was that good, we would have 8 different types of Laveys dominating our circle courses. I guess we would be calling them "L" boats right?? :) LOL :cool:

mike&han
10-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Now to the heart of the matter!!
B-boat, I like that. Basically it is a much easier
boat to drive it is very forgiving the Lavey at racing speed is not.

mike&han
10-11-2003, 04:07 AM
CircleJerk:
SSSSSSSSHHH wink ........we're not in Kansas anymore........I have {two} friends! wink
Any chance of coming over to Jacks place for a brew? My wife wants to come also......her boat is the red and white SK87 Lavey.......mine is the yellow one....... smile_sp You have 2 hatch back Laveys neat. My first lavey
was a hatch back and the 2nd one was a kevlar sidewinder. One of the last boats Alex built.
[ October 11, 2003, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: mike&han ]

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 12:22 PM
As Flat racer put it so well.....'B'all you can 'B'! So let me try to sum this up. If you want to 'b' all you can 'b', then driving a 'b' boat is easier so you might just succeed and 'b'come a race driver of 'b'boats?!.....Like the way I de-capitalized it? Jerr? You there? 'b'buddy? If you want to 'b' a REAL good driver {or wet} then buy a Lavey?? Is that the REAL message to 'b' learned here? But dang it, we're leaving out those 'B'arron sprints and what was the other 'Brand'.......I forgot! Must not of been an important brand! Oh ya, 'D' boat decucci which is just another splashed 'b'boat. Right? 'B.S.' signing off..... :D I like my popcorn cold....
[ October 11, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 12:33 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]My first lavey
was a hatch back and the 2nd one was a kevlar sidewinder. One of the last boats Alex built. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Have any pictures? They love that here! Some of us have trouble reading!!!! Or tell us more about you racing history or the boats, expecially about that Kevlar sidewinder,,,where is it today, what was the name and driver, etc... There are those here hanging onto your every word, believe me, I'm one of them. You're educating the masses, right 'b'Jerr so 'b'nice! Anyway, WELCOME Mike to the boards, I needed you here! smile_sp

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Its very simple, if your a racer and your objective is winning stack the deck in your favor and run the "B". :)
If your objective is running old school nostalgia style but you still want to be fast run a lavey C. :)
If your in denial about "B" boat dominance you can still run a hull thats capable of 140's try the Barron, Eliminator spider or Hondo sprint. :p :p Class dismissed!! jawdrop :D :D

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 12:48 PM
You're not 'b'ng nice.......B.S.

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Oh, sure, :D like your 'b'arronHondo runs 140's ??????Not a chance in Cucamonga or RanchoCordoba or _ell for that matter! Bye
[ October 11, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 12:58 PM
opps :D
[ October 11, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

72 superlite
10-11-2003, 04:41 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099Robbies_Sanger.jpg B boats, Laveys ,D boats, why can't we all get along? Would this be an S boat?

72 superlite
10-11-2003, 04:48 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1099High_Leaf_Hydro.jpg more to come

CircleJerk
10-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Superlite to the rescue! Yes,,,an 'ss'boat! They're German you know.......
Hey VideoGomerPile, that High Lead boat ran 156mph in 1959! With a 265 cu. in. Don't mess with it man! :p wink

mike&han
10-12-2003, 11:50 AM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
mike&han:
So Mr. V Drive Video, you wanted to be educated and you are. Good nite! pig_flyi pig_flyi

mike&han
10-12-2003, 01:56 PM
mike&han:
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
mike&han:
So Mr. V Drive Video, you wanted to be educated and you are. Good nite! pig_flyi pig_flyi what time will they fly by.
You know I just noticed that you from CA. and you are probably still pissed off that The Cal. Ski
Boat had to come to the east coast to get enough power to really run good. Yup,it really took eastcoast horsepower to make those boats run good.
And as far as b- boats in the record books where are they. in the time frame we are talking about
you could not break a record in a beismayer if you tried because Julian was always one trick ahead of anyone else remember he wanted to sell boats.These boats were factory made cookie cutter boats. The Laveys and Jones Starfires were made one at a time no 2 alike these were real race boats. The first time Julian showed up on the eastcoast in 1976 in Gil Sutters SS Never Enuff at a little race in Montgomery Pa. he cleaned our clocks. The boat weghted about 1300lb. At the time I dont think anyone had a rigged hull less motor that weighted 1300 lbs.But boy did he sell some boats. I think he sold 5 boats the first weekend he was here. the funny part about that weekend in montgomery was that Gil Sutter and
Paul Stratton were running for high points.
John Mcardle was driving Strattons Sew What that year the story went that one of them was going east to pick up points without the other one knowing. The other one got wind of it and they both show up at this little race in the PA hills.
But Jullian was an exellent salesman and most guys said "oh well if you cant beat em join em"

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-12-2003, 07:30 PM
CircleJerk:
Oh, sure, :D like your 'b'arronHondo runs 140's ??????Not a chance in Cucamonga or RanchoCordoba or _ell for that matter! Bye Cj, Put your reading glasses on, I never said mine runs 140 (yet). :) Don't make me give you a history lesson on Hondo circle boats above 140. wink

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-12-2003, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike&han:
You know I just noticed that you from CA. and you are probably still pissed off that The Cal. Ski
Boat had to come to the east coast to get enough power to really run good. Yup,it really took eastcoast horsepower to make those boats run good.
And as far as b- boats in the record books where are they. in the time frame we are talking about
you could not break a record in a beismayer if you tried because Julian was always one trick ahead...The first time Julian showed up on the eastcoast at a little race in Montgomery Pa. he cleaned our clocks.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well chief, I would agree that the east coast had and still have thier share of good running boats. Your claim that it took eastcoast horsepower to make the westcoast boats run is definately reaching (again). The time frame I'm referring to is past and present. The PC and SK records are frozen so its been impossible for someone (in thier "B" boat :p ) to up them. The current inboard flatbottom speed records do indicate "B" boat dominance. The current circleboat racing world runs the "B" boats for a reason. The same reason Julian sold boats...DOMINANCE!!! :D :D
You sound like an individual with many great stories. :cool: Keep them coming.
Jerry
[ October 12, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

mike&han
10-13-2003, 12:56 AM
PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY
I LEFT OUT THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST THE OTHER HOT POCKET OF CIRCLE FLATS.

Sked
10-13-2003, 02:01 AM
Just got back from our last race of the season here on the East coast. I see that this conversation has continued past the point I would have thought. From what I can ascertain from reading what's been added since my last post, it doesn't matter how much explaining or info I add, no matter what is said here V-Drive Video will never concede the point so this will be my last post (I hope) on this subject. V-Drive Video, I'll bet you're a Democrat.
Anyway, some of you may find this rather interesting:
Being at the races this past weekend, I just happened to see once again my old friend Duff Daily. For race results see: http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=b2b82c64a6b15cee8d4a86a7da12ee7f;a ct=ST;f=11;t=168
It has been quite a while since I have seen Duff so it was good to talk boats and racing with him. He and I have known each other for 30 years but have had only a few occasions to race each other because during most of those years we were running in different classes. I consider Duff to be one of the all time best flatbottom drivers, as I do Julian Petingill who I have also had the pleasure to race. During one of our conversations I brought up this topic and this thread in particular. Although we didn't discuss where the best engine builders come from or any of what you have been discussing since I left for the races last Friday afternoon, we did discuss hull variations, their differences in performance characteristics and what makes them do what they do, we talked engines, records, time periods, advancements, etc., all pertaining specifically to this topic. Now I'm not here to put words in Duff's mouth, he can speak for himself, but I can tell you that he agreed with exactly what mike&han and I have been saying about the Lavey's.
Which brings me to mike&han. Yes V-Drive Video, he could probably give you many good stories, but if I might, let me fill you in a little about him. I know he won't do it but I'm going to give you a peek (sorry Mike). Mike's well versed in driving both Laveys and Biesemeyers and he has many noted accomplishments to his credit driving both. I know he holds no bias for or against either type boat. He just knows fact and what is common knowledge among those still around who would know. Although he and I don't consider ourselves to be exactly in the same league as Duff and/or Julian, we have all had occasion to beat each other out on the race course.
Now feel free to bash me all you like, I love it when I'm hated, it's always meant I'm doing well.
PS - CJ, I also ran into a guy at the races with a Lavey for sale. Let me know if you want info.
[ October 13, 2003, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: JSSK88 ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JSSK88: V-Drive Video, I'll bet you're a Democrat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with you on putting Julian and Duff up there with top drivers. My experience watching and tapeing boats my whole life combined with real records have shaped my views. The fact that people see things differently makes for good entertainment. Its all good!!!
Now this democrat dig....that hurts!!! Thats just wrong. :( No offense to democrats but I'm not one of them. :cool: :cool:
[ October 13, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

CircleJerk
10-13-2003, 11:39 PM
He's from the 'b'party! .........{belligerent,or bigoted, :D smile_sp take your pick}

CircleJerk
10-14-2003, 12:03 AM
JSSK88:
Jerk, Here's the pics.
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake5.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake6.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake7.JPG
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/uploadedimages/MosesLake8.JPG #1 1976 B boat formerly 'Honcho' 477 bbc, turned 9300rpm!
#2 1968 Aquacraft 427 ski racer, original gel coat
#3 former Bezer'Voodo Canoe' 468 record holder and Season Champ
#4 1978 Sleekcraft v-drive 468 turbo 400
#5 1975 Howard runner bottom 427bbc
#6 1976 Sanger 18'3 gull circle 402 bbc 4-sale
#7 1975 Sanger 1" drag runner 427 bbc formerly George Nordlings 2002 ride.
#8 1970 Continental {Mandella splash} 454 'Got Milk Got H2O'
#9 1976 Hondo t-deck sprint bottom 427 bbc
#10 1970-72 Lavey-Craft Model C trunk model 396! Season Champion in Sk class 2001, 2002, runner up 2003
#11 1974 Lavey-Craft 'C' formerly Glen Stones 'Coming Thru' driven by Paul Grichar now 396 bbc and driven poorly by a JeRk :D
Sorry, other racers did not get pictures:
#65 1965 Wickens 427 Ford Season Champ 2003
#50 1976 Lavey Sidewinder 433 bbc pro-comp record holder

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-14-2003, 12:43 PM
I love what you guys are doing up there and can't wait to see it in person!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

CircleJerk
10-15-2003, 11:32 PM
[QB] Okay, I dug out the old APBA reference books (mine only go back to 1985), and here's what I found out:
There was a Lavey that held two records in the Pro Comp class, but it wasn't "Sweet Caroline". It was named "The Odd Couple", was owned by Michael T. Claveria, and driven by George E. Nordling. It set the 3 lap record at 104.651 mph on 5/29/83, and set the 4 lap record at 98.253 mph on 9/04/83.
You are right! These are both the records set by PC871 or the new Nostalgia #50 driven by George and Claveria owned the motor, I think, George owned the boat possibly with a partner. JeRk

jim davis
10-16-2003, 05:41 AM
V-drive Video, glad to hear that you have voted Cousin Gray out of office, hope you come north sometime next year. You have a gauranteeto have police protection all the time you are in Washington. Personally the fASTEST hull is the hondo sprint, so tell Julian to keep trying. Love this thread. Jimmy D.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
10-16-2003, 03:59 PM
jim davis:
V-drive Video, glad to hear that you have voted Cousin Gray out of office, hope you come north sometime next year. You have a gauranteeto have police protection all the time you are in Washington. Personally the fASTEST hull is the hondo sprint, so tell Julian to keep trying. Love this thread. Jimmy D. Thanks for the police escort, I might need it if I ever make it out to New York or Jersey also. :D I won't go so far as to say the Hondo is Faster but, after setting the K kilo record in the Revenge owner Richard Thompson aquired a hondo to go over 150. They got close but gave up before succeeding. Peace Brother :cool:

CircleJerk
11-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Jerry....all my bragging is based on records of the past , when Laveys were out in force. Due to circumstances beyond my control, They arent the boat of choice within APBA and your circle of friends. Here is some figures right out of 1974, the year of my Lavey. May 1974: Spring Regatta Kilo results
Lavey-Craft driven by Frank Waite........97.471
SS26 Lavey-Craft driven by Paul Grichar.......113.26!
Biesemeyer {class unknown} driver: Jullian P...109mph
SK671 Lavey-Craft driver: Gordon Jennings....108.408 {first run} 109.536 {second} 120.422 {third run average} and this is the record from a two lap average of 116.569 and 124.276 respectively.
This is just a sampling of the 42 boats that ran that day and those boats in question were the only samples I asked for. Maybe someone who was there could educate us further as to what other speeds and boat brands made this event so noteworthy. Your faithful student of circle trivia, awaiting his next lesson.......:)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-09-2003, 08:52 PM
CJ, Theres no denying the Lavey's place in history.
Thanks to Mike Burns, SK-48 and I were allowed into a small part of the Arizona Navy scrapbooks. Mike has a truckload of old Magazines, Programs, Press Releases and photos that you wouldn't believe. Lots of Laveys!!:) :)
Jimmy D still rules!!!

jim davis
11-10-2003, 05:06 AM
Jerry, Hope everybody escaped the "Fires of _ell" I was in Spokane yesterday at the Lavey Masters while he was posting about records so I knew you would be hot on his trail today. Jerk is so inscenced with his history and other 70's stuff that you will never get a break. Just tell him "whatever" and let him win on paper because we both know that is the only way he will ever win. He is the proud owner of the SS 83 Lavey "Comin Thru " . I sold it to him after a friend of mine beat George Nordling at a race in Ione. Justin and I are the only owners up here in Washington to beat him twice. Oh by the way I have purchased the Biesemeyer of Donald Smiths , my next door Farming buddy so Justin will be in a old B-race boat next year. The Hondo Sprint will be made into a lake boat or I may run it in a slower class. Jimmy D.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Oh shit!! Team Davis steppin it up!!:cool: congratulations!! Maybe you could sell CJ the Hondo so he can maintain a strong 3rd behind you and George.:eek: I'm not going after CJ, I love Laveys....Its sorta like being a fan for the 126 driver, you know he won't win but you like him anyways!!:D :D :D

uclahater
11-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Ouch that ones gonna hurt

dossangers
11-11-2003, 09:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/167bezers_mag_001-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/167bezers_mag_002-med.jpg Hey JERRY!!!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-11-2003, 09:54 AM
I suspect a lot of people are in for some Deja-vu....coming soon!!:D :D :D Cool pic. of the King.
If theres anything I can do to help you Wayne, you have my #.Jerry

smalls
11-11-2003, 10:51 AM
VD Video, You gonna make Bakesfield????

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by smalls
VD Video, You gonna make Bakesfield???? Dang!!! Is that this weekend?? Sorry chief, won't be there, but hopefully Redding video can hook you guys up as usual.:)

72 superlite
11-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Circle Jerk, Haven't heard from you . Did you get the video? Not bad for a boat launcher/ videoographer, huh? Next year I'll bring a helmet cam and I can multitask the whole weekend. you won't miss a second of the action. Speaking of action how is Mark doing? Is he all healed up and ready to go after it next year? Oh yeah ,don't worry the itching finally went away from my weekend standing Moses Lake. What the hell do you people over there dump in the water. Just kidding about the itch, the doctor says it will never go away, thanks alot. Hey where is my video from you? Rick

CircleJerk
02-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Not to open the proverbial can of worms, but to ask HUD or someone to select some photos for the wildest v-drives shots. We are still struggling with our new puter and we Nosties would be honored to join the greatest v-drive pics collection in the WORLD! Especially since Hot Boat does not think we are interesting enough to grace the pages of their mag.....maybe someday when a bonified class for us appears nationwide, they will re-consider.
One final note: Racing resumes June 5-6 at Banks Lk followed by four more in Washington and a possible invitation to Burley Idaho. {see 2004 Nosty Schedule}
Any chance of a Nosty challenge coming from California? I would certainly be up for that! How about it Jim Best? Jeff Wooten? Gritch? Steve M.? Your royal-JeRkness and Blondie are 'L people' to the end and love to compare speeds...... :D

Dave Sammons
02-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Guys
I'm probably dating myself, but, if this is the original Sweet Caroline, it set the SK Runabout Kilo Record in 1974 at Parker running. a little over 120mph with none other than the Late, Great, Gordon Jennings at the helm. The SK class was limited to 400 inches and carburation. The internal engine rules were the same as Superstock at the time. This particular boat ran Webers.
Dave Sammons

Cowboy Bob
06-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Guys
I'm probably dating myself, but, if this is the original Sweet Caroline, it set the SK Runabout Kilo Record in 1974 at Parker running. a little over 120mph with none other than the Late, Great, Gordon Jennings at the helm. The SK class was limited to 400 inches and carburation. The internal engine rules were the same as Superstock at the time. This particular boat ran Webers.
Dave Sammons
Just curious....
How many types of Laveys were there? "Jerks" is a 1974 "C" "Longdeck" "with Rocker"
Were there a ton of different Molds that Lavey used from 1970 onwards?
(Just learning here.......)

CircleJerk
06-01-2005, 11:50 PM
According to the 'Gritch', three! Number one mold was modified many times as new speed stuff was tried. Also, I am told the newer the Lavey, the heavier it was built as no two were exactly alike and at least one early one broke in two after hitting a big hole. Some even had more than two stringers, some three and some four. Note, all Lavey race boats had rocker built in, some more than others. When I did the bottom last year, I found that unusual side to side difference making the left side (suction area) flatter than the right. Maybe someone can elaborate, Gordy? Truitt? Billy? Don Snelling?

CircleJerk
06-02-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Wickens_at_MosesLake.jpg I'll get a few up Tonight.
Bill Silvers, 1965 Wickens Aquacraft, Holmon Moody aluminum 427 Ford high riser with dual Carters and 180 degree headers tuned for max torque at 6000rpm. This boat will be raced in two classes this year, with his daughter sporting rookie status for the first race at Tastin Racin. This boat has been meticulously restored and has a drop in velvet drive that replaces the solid shaft for water skiing. It runs a Cary 11 1/2 X 16 two blade and spins a 12 gear (short straights) to 6500! The trim tab is lever actuated and only 5 inches wide! He sets it once and then races. This boat turns and runs best in rough chop since it weighs in at 2200 Lb.!

CircleJerk
06-02-2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099Boyds_Lavey.jpg Circle Jerk in person.
Yes, its fast! Qualifying in the fast four Nostalgia boats at all three of its only events. Finished this race in second place right behind the Bezer of Mr. Nordling with 468 power. I will sell it with the original SK 402 bbc for 6500 cash so I have room and $s to finish my b-boat! Besides we have another L boat in the family!!! Less engine, oil pan, & headers, right now, dont hesitate, for $3750! It has a whirlaway, lightened gears, original hardware installed by Al Lavey himself and on the dash are the California race site plaques proving its racing history. Some floor flow coat cracking from that hot Calif sun. No hull damage repairs found anywhere! Be a real man :D and not a b-boat-crowd copy Kat! :yuk: