PDA

View Full Version : Is it April Fools or are there really special light bulbs...

probablecause
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry for the cross-post, but our bitchen PHP Forum does not allow me to move a post. So, is it April Fools or are there really special light bulbs for garage door openers? My buddy was trying to sell me a bill of goods on that one. Maybe he is right. :idea:

blown dough
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
No, you just don't want to high of a wattage cause it could get to hot and melt your light cover, low watt the best.

Jordy
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Absolutely correct. Garage door light bulbs use filiments made of unobtanium do to the constant motion/vibration of the door going up and down. You'd be a fool not to spend the extra money to run them, at least as far as you know. I've got a case of them sitting right here in fact. You can tell the special garage door bulbs as they have a GD marked on them. ;)

phebus
03-05-2007, 08:31 PM
They actually do make bulbs that are for garage doors. I think they have a stronger filament that holds up to the vibration of the opener better then a normal bulb.

phebus
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Damn you Jordy, my two fingers just don't move fast enough. :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I believe the are supposed to be shock-resistant...since they get vibrated constantly.

Kachina26
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd just feel left out if I didn't chime in to say that yes, there are special bulbs. For those reasons listed above. Well, except for BD's reasoning.

MR.rvrluvr
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
whats a garage door opener? :D

Kachina26
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Your wife when it's raining outside :D

Jordy
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Damn you Jordy, my two fingers just don't move fast enough. :D
That's because you're old and I haven't drank enough. :D :D :D

hoolign
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Absolutely correct. Garage door light bulbs use filiments made of unobtanium do to the constant motion/vibration of the door going up and down. You'd be a fool not to spend the extra money to run them, at least as far as you know. I've got a case of them sitting right here in fact. You can tell the special garage door bulbs as they have a GD marked on them. ;)
Up here they are called "GD.120's" the set I put in 7 years ago are still all working fine!

uvindex
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
No such thing. :D
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/linear-access-controls_1935_816166

OutCole'd
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
How do you know so much about f'n light bulbs Cliff Clavin??:D

Jordy
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't. I was actually just making shit up, hence the "as far as you know" comment. Guess the sun really does shine on a dog's ass every now and again. Apparently I'm no fun to play that game "BULLSHIT" with though. Not sure why. Maybe it's my website, no not www.teamturnkey.net, the www.askjordy.com. :D :D :D

OutCole'd
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't. I was actually just making shit up, hence the "as far as you know" comment. Guess the sun really does shine on a dog's ass every now and again. Apparently I'm no fun to play that game "BULLSHIT" with though. Not sure why. Maybe it's my website, no not www.teamturnkey.net, the www.askjordy.com. :D :D :D
I should have picked up on that with the "Unobtanium" ......:D

phebus
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Jordy is the Uncle Fester of light bulbs. :)

hoolign
03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
well .... "it's a little known fact that" that the aboriginal pigmy's of Unobstainia where mere peasents until the discovery of Unobatinium in 1943 when a merchant vessel from Greece ran aground on a reef. Being stranded and needing to make repairs to the ship, they need to work by night ..the standard GE bulbs burned out every second night due to the humidity and constant hammering aboard ship. tthat the captain made the durable filiment out of a new metal found near the village. hence called "unobtainium" the 'un" was later introduced due to the fact that noone could remember the way back to get more of the precious metal until 1976. hence it was "un " obtainable for many years until the supply ran out and the island was located and mining ensued!

rrrr
03-05-2007, 09:17 PM
well .... "it's a little known fact that" that the aboriginal pigmy's of Unobstainia where mere peasents until the discovery of Unobatinium in 1943 when a merchant vessel from Greece ran aground on a reef. Being stranded and needing to make repairs to the ship, they need to work by night ..the standard GE bulbs burned out every second night due to the humidity and constant hammering aboard ship. tthat the captain made the durable filiment out of a new metal found near the village. hence called "unobtainium" the 'un" was later introduced due to the fact that noone could remember the way back to get more of the precious metal until 1976. hence it was "un " obtainable for many years until the supply ran out and the island was located and mining ensued!
Explanations like this give you an idea how the word "Canatard" came into being.......:D
Actually, the correct answer is......the "heavy duty" bulb is service rated at 130 volts instead of 120. Since it will be operated at 120 'cause that's the standard voltage in the US (who knows what the Canatards use :D) the filament isn't as hot and won't break as easily as a filament in a 120 volt rated bulb.
Cliff Clavin out. :D :D

Tom Brown
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I think Hooli just ran aground on a reef.

GABACHOS_LBC
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
They actually do make bulbs that are for garage doors. I think they have a stronger filament that holds up to the vibration of the opener better then a normal bulb.
They are so strong I dropped one while installing it on our RV garage opener, it didn't even break from a 16' fall. Picked it up, screwed it in, fired right up like nothing ever happened.

Tom Brown
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
The last time I was at Hooli's place, we stepped out on the back porch to do some shooting after dinner. Much to our surprise, we couldn't take out one of his shed bulbs with our 30-30 riffles. Closer investigation revealed.... you guessed it... garage door opener bulb. :cool:

Rexone
03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
I have a case of oven rated bulbs for sale at half price if anyone's interested.

AZKC
03-06-2007, 07:08 AM
GFR could just stare at a Garage Door Opener Bulb and it would Shatter:devil: :eek:

Stingray69
03-06-2007, 07:14 AM
The really good vibration resistant bulbs have 'Rhino Coating' on the glass to make them even more wonderful. ;)

ChumpChange
03-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I have a case of oven rated bulbs for sale at half price if anyone's interested.
You know the rules....take it to the SPAM section. :D

gramps
03-06-2007, 08:34 AM
It's the person you are married to.

Tom Brown
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Are they available in purple powder coat?