PDA

View Full Version : Overkill's boat debate!

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Went to the lake this afternoon with Overkill, his lady, and TAF. Thanks for a great afternoon on the water. Sorry we didn't stay longer. Yesterday kicked our butts! Anyway, James told me that his boat is a 78 Challenger.. It was interesting because mine is a 77 Challenger and I KNOW mine is a Challenger, and his didn't look anything like mine or any other Challenger I have ever seen. His has more of a bubbledeck, and a factory pump setback, and the bottom is different. I am almost positive it has to be something other than a Challenger. Interesting enough though, his reg's say Challenger! I'm sure this is another instance where the GFD screwed up someones registration. So what is it? Here is a pic of his ride next to my Challenger. So what does he have? Anyone? The first two letters on his hull ID are GT!
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25687&stc=1&d=1173155449
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25688&stc=1&d=1173155449

Oldsquirt
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Need the first THREE letters of the HIN as it appears on the boat.
What are the first THREE letters of your HIN?

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Need the first THREE letters of the HIN as it appears on the boat.
What are the first THREE letters of your HIN?
All I know is the first two of mine are CH and the first two of his are GT.. Maybe James will jump on here in a few and post the first three of his.

MikeF
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
It's possible that the two hulls were build in two different parts of the country by different dealers.
Sometimes the decks are different, but the bottom is the same. And vis/versa.
Back when the boat co's were pushing boats out the door to get the next one done they were using whichever mold that was ready to use.
Every Challenger I've ever seen has the deck like on yours.

MikeF
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
All I know is the first two of mine are CH and the first two of his are GT.. Maybe James will jump on here in a few and post the first three of his.
Definatley different.

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
On a lighter note, we got some nice pics of the boat.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25695&stc=1&d=1173157894
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25696&stc=1&d=1173157894
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25697&stc=1&d=1173157894

Oldsquirt
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
If by "factory pump setback" you mean that it has a short "pod" on the transom to house the pump, then I'll bet that the hull ID starts with "GTD" for GT Boats located in Cordelia here in NorCal. The shop is still in business although I don't think he has laid up any hulls in a while.

Oldsquirt
03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
SKoM, your pics didn't work. You have to leave them as "attachments" in your post if you want to link to the URL of the pic.
EDIT: I see you have fixed the pics

67weimann
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
On a lighter note, we got some nice pics of the boat.
You got some nice red x's...:D

squirt'nmyload
03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
water looked better than yesterday:)

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
water looked better than yesterday:)
Ya got that right. It wasn't too bad later in the afternoon yesterday though. We missed you guys out there today.

squirt'nmyload
03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Ya got that right. It wasn't too bad later in the afternoon yesterday though. We missed you guys out there today.
well, i decided to try to fix my diverter....am going to rewire it tomorrow:)

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 10:12 PM
We are mounting seats over the new carpet, and putting the stereo in.. You should wheel your ride over and work on it there. Maybe I can give you a hand. I think you will like the hydraulic diverter a lot when it works right.

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 10:13 PM
well, i decided to try to fix my diverter....am going to rewire it tomorrow:)
P.S. Beats $700 for a new one!

atxwrangler
03-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I have heard rumor of instances where someone bought a titleless boat,and bought another jalopy boat just for the registration.they use the jalopy papers on the newly acquired boat to obtain the proper registration stickers!:D

Some Kind Of Monster
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I have heard rumor of instances where someone bought a titleless boat,and bought another jalopy boat just for the registration.they use the jalopy papers on the newly acquired boat to obtain the proper registration stickers!:D
Hehe, I mentioned something like this earlier. Better than screwing with the B.S. process of doing things the "right" way.

squirt'nmyload
03-05-2007, 10:26 PM
We are mounting seats over the new carpet, and putting the stereo in.. You should wheel your ride over and work on it there. Maybe I can give you a hand. I think you will like the hydraulic diverter a lot when it works right.
cool.......i got a dr. appt at 4...i'll give you a call after that......it worked perfect for a couple months then bam...nothing but problems......it has it's power coming from the ignition so i going to wire it straight from the battery and see if that helps.

Devilman
03-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Remember Judd's boat, that white & purple center-steer contraption? It was titled/registered as a 1962 Tahiti. Not even sure if there was such a thing as a '62 Tahiti.... LOL
And the rumors you speak of are quite common, I did that with some of my stuff. Used one title for 3 different Camaros & I won't try & explain the tangled web of paperwork on my big trucks....:D

Squirtcha?
03-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Wow!
What a difference a new set of seats makes. Looking good James.
Incidently I've always said the same thing with regards to James's boat. It doesn't look like any challenger I've ever seen either.
Get the Hin numbers off that thing and we'll see what it comes back as.

460 jus getn it
03-06-2007, 07:30 AM
well, i decided to try to fix my diverter....am going to rewire it tomorrow:)All the more reason to ditch the HYD.:D

FryJet
03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I think there was some monkey business happening with his registration. Every Challenger I have seen was a slope deck, not a bubble. I kinda miss my old Challenger.
F.J.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1909upeF181.jpg

OverKill
03-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Wow!
What a difference a new set of seats makes. Looking good James.
Incidently I've always said the same thing with regards to James's boat. It doesn't look like any challenger I've ever seen either.
Get the Hin numbers off that thing and we'll see what it comes back as.
Thanks Dan things are finaly on the up and up with this boat. Before I start to bable on here is the HIN (GTD000190478). I am very curious of what the heck I have, what ever it is she sure does ride nice. I asked TAF to come along for the ride yesterday, it sure is nice to no someone on the boards that are way out in the sicks with me. Incidentley I had no problems with the motor cutting off at WOT, the PSI on the fuel gauge said 7.5 if it does it again I know there is something else. :) :)

Oldsquirt
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Dan things are finaly on the up and up with this boat. Before I start to bable on here is the HIN (GTD000190478). I am very curious of what the heck I have, what ever it is she sure does ride nice.
As I said in my post from last night.......:)
If by "factory pump setback" you mean that it has a short "pod" on the transom to house the pump, then I'll bet that the hull ID starts with "GTD" for GT Boats located in Cordelia here in NorCal. The shop is still in business although I don't think he has laid up any hulls in a while.

spectras only
03-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Could it be a Charger ? They both made in the same time period . Both starts with CH :idea: .

atxwrangler
03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=GTD

Oldsquirt
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
looks like a gt boat?
I've said that twice already. Do my posts not show up??? :)

OverKill
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I do in fact have a ( 19' GT Jet Boat ) I just got off the phone with David from GT boats and he gave an exact desctiption of the boat before looking at the pics. WOW does that make me happy to finally know what I have.
I just want to thank all of you here on the boards for helping me out with this in such a short time frame. So on a personal note to all I told I have a Challenger, Well now you know now I have a GT witch in fact from more research are better than Challenger's
James:D :D :D :D :D :D

atxwrangler
03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I've said that twice already. Do my posts not show up??? :)
did you follow the link from the coast guard that i posted?:confused:

Oldsquirt
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
did you follow the link from the coast guard that i posted?:confused:
Didn't have to. I recognized the HIN. GT Boats is just a few miles from me and I have done business with Dave in the past.

Some Kind Of Monster
03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
So on a personal note to all I told I have a Challenger, Well now you know now I have a GT witch in fact from more research are better than Challenger's
James:D :D :D :D :D :D
James...
Thanks for the comment. Like an arrow in the chest. We'll line 'em up next time and see which is better :D

vishus
03-06-2007, 01:48 PM
what kind of numbers do you run? I have always wondered what a strong lake jet like the two of yours run at speed.
thx.sid

OverKill
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
James...
Thanks for the comment. Like an arrow in the chest. We'll line 'em up next time and see which is better :D
HAHAHAHA just Kidding my man, just haveing fun.
Yes I did use the link from the Coast Guard, thanks again.
I GPS'ed mine at 71.8 before the pump rebuild now prob just 72 or 73. If it were on Ebay it would be 108 mph LOL

vishus
03-06-2007, 01:58 PM
cool,
the boats look great. I currently have a fishing boat with a fishing motor, always wanted a gullwing, maybe after seeing 396s new ride I may have to go in that direction. We often go to Saguaro, used to have a red picklefork, now I have a white/teal bassboat. If you see us say hi!
sid

460 jus getn it
03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
James...
Your just all about racing and shit these days arent ya.

Some Kind Of Monster
now I have a white/teal bassboat. If you see us say hi!
sid
I see 10 of these on the water at any given time! If you see us, Say hi!

460 jus getn it
cool,
the boats look great. I currently have a fishing boat with a fishing motor, always wanted a gullwing, maybe after seeing 396s new ride I may have to go in that direction. We often go to Saguaro, used to have a red picklefork, now I have a white/teal bassboat. If you see us say hi!
sid
Mr. Lawnmower man is that you.............LMAO

Some Kind Of Monster
03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Your just all about racing and shit these days arent ya.
Yeah, I like to pick fights.. Don't always win though :)

vishus
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
mine's not quite like the "other" bassboats out there. I have an Allison, no sparkle gel, it is setup more like a sportboat. It does have the required weedwacker on the back. 153cu in of POWER!!! It does a fair job of running down the lake... I think it will run right around 75mph. I'm all about racing too. I am trying to setup my bassboat to run in the Nostalgia Endurance races...
the attachment is a picture of us trying to look like a jetboat at Saguaro...
sid

OverKill
03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
mine's not quite like the "other" bassboats out there. I have an Allison, no sparke gel, it is setup more like a sportboat. It does have the required weedwacker on the back. 153cu in of POWER!!! It does a fair job of running down the lake... I think it will run right around 75mph. I'm all about racing too. I am trying to setup my bassboat to run in the Nostalgia Endurance races...
sid
WOW man nice Roost, Your running really dry to looks good for an egg beater.

OverKill
03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I tell ya when I had Kachina do my new seats I asked them to stictch the word ( Challenger ) in the middle of the back seat. I huffed and puffed because they could'nt get there embroiderer to do the work for at least a month. To my surprise they went on ahead and made the seat without the logo and I was pissed. But holy moly after finding out I don't even have a challenger, I would of been pretty let down if the embroidery had went through. So the next time you think something is just not right, just wait a while because GOD loves JET BOATS. Thanks again you guys I guess we can finally let this post fall to the back chapters . See you on the water.
Speacial thanks to Billy ( Some Kind of Monster ), Lizzy ( Pink Shocker ), Rob ( TAF ) for all your help, and most of all My Wife Chay'le for supporting my bad habit. :D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
03-07-2007, 07:39 AM
mine's not quite like the "other" bassboats out there. I have an Allison, no sparkle gel, it is setup more like a sportboat. It does have the required weedwacker on the back. 153cu in of POWER!!! It does a fair job of running down the lake... I think it will run right around 75mph. I'm all about racing too. I am trying to setup my bassboat to run in the Nostalgia Endurance races...
sid
i saw you guys out there runnin em that day and you were haulin the mail!!!........that thing sounded pretty wicked too:)

460 jus getn it
03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
i saw you guys out there runnin em that day and you were haulin the mail!!!........that thing sounded pretty wicked too:)
There putting more and more shit into those lawnmowers. Its crazy........:D :D

TAF
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
I thought you guys went to Bartlett. I wasn't going to travel all the way there to be cold in the wind. Saguaro was warm and beautiful w/ just a breeze. Wish we would have seen ya :sqeyes: . Say "HI" to Erin.
Thanks again to James, yer boat hauls the mail!!!! I was impressed so much I wanna get another squirter now!!

smokinjoe
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
That is a GT boats hull. I have owned one for the last 10 years, very nice boats. I bought mine after i rode in it i was sold the boat is solid and rides great. i have been going faster each year but I have reached its limit so i bought a gullwing im building now. I will be selling my GT hull if anyone is looking for one its in good shape. can sell with or without the motor comes with seats and pump. 99.3 gps. Oh and Dave at GT Boats is a very good guy to work with. always a pleasure to do bussines with him.I will try to put some pics up of it.

OverKill
03-07-2007, 10:09 AM
That is a GT boats hull. I have owned one for the last 10 years, very nice boats. I bought mine after i rode in it i was sold the boat is solid and rides great. i have been going faster each year but I have reached its limit so i bought a gullwing im building now. I will be selling my GT hull if anyone is looking for one its in good shape. can sell with or without the motor comes with seats and pump. 99.3 gps. Oh and Dave at GT Boats is a very good guy to work with. always a pleasure to do bussines with him.I will try to put some pics up of it.
WOW man nice to see another GT here, by the way what does GT mean for boats?? I also have the same rub rail that you have, and need to replace it bad. Do you think Dave at GT would still have any material left over from back in the day????
Well at least I know the hull is capable of 99.3, I sure have a long way to go.

patrolman808
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
My '77 Challenger looks like the one on the left.

vishus
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
There putting more and more shit into those lawnmowers. Its crazy........:D :D
SRP has a sweet deal, trade in your "gas" mower for an "electric", I just can't seem to get a long enough extension cord for the lake...

460 jus getn it
03-07-2007, 10:50 AM
SRP has a sweet deal, trade in your "gas" mower for an "electric", I just can't seem to get a long enough extension cord for the lake...
FLMAO, look into solar power buddie............................................ .........

vishus
03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
maybe that can get me past 75mph to 76.5mph or so!!!:D
is your boat ready to rock? I can't wait to see 396, I have always liked those gullwings, used to stop in and see the SCORPIONs out in AJ...
we'll be at the lake again NEXT weekend 4/18 , this weekend is my Aniv... unless I can convince the wife that the lake is a romantic getaway...

460 jus getn it
03-07-2007, 11:51 AM
maybe that can get me past 75mph to 76.5mph or so!!!:D
is your boat ready to rock? I can't wait to see 396, I have always liked those gullwings, used to stop in and see the SCORPIONs out in AJ...
we'll be at the lake again NEXT weekend 4/18 , this weekend is my Aniv... unless I can convince the wife that the lake is a romantic getaway...Nope, 3 weeks.
Bottle of wine and a sunset.

TAF
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Nope, 3 weeks.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of wine, don't mind if I do.:D

blender over
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Looks like a Bahner to me but what do i know, im a xx jet boat owner:rolleyes:

squirt'nmyload
03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I thought you guys went to Bartlett. I wasn't going to travel all the way there to be cold in the wind. Saguaro was warm and beautiful w/ just a breeze. Wish we would have seen ya :sqeyes: . Say "HI" to Erin.
Thanks again to James, yer boat hauls the mail!!!! I was impressed so much I wanna get another squirter now!!
this was maybe a month or so ago when we saw vishus out at saguaro:)
i wish i could've made it out there with you guys the other day!!

wolfie
03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Nope, 3 weeks.
I think he's still using that "intake" excuse.

OverKill
03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
There's always an excuse!!!:D :D