PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Testing

Schiada Time
03-06-2007, 07:03 AM
i'M GOING TO HEAD BACK TO ELSINORE EITHER THIS SUNDAY OR NEXT. IM GUESSING TWO SUNDAYS FROM NOW AS MY BACHELOR PARTY IS THIS SATURDAY SO IM GUESSING I WILL BE IN NO SHAPE TO GO BOATING THIS SUNDAY. I HAVE TWO PROPELLERS COMING FOR TESTING (A 11.5X15 AND A 12X16 AND I HAVE A 12X15 HERE TO TRY) aLL PROPS ARE STAINLESS AND ARE 3-BLADES. THE BOAT IS A '22 SCHIADA WITH 502 BBC (502 HP). IT HAS A TURBO 400 WITH 1.10 GEARS IN THE C-500 V-DRIVE. WHAT PROP IS YOUR MONEY ON?
IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO GO ALONG AND HELP I COULD SURE USE SOMEONE TOP HELP LAUNCH AND RECORD DATA WHILE I DRIVE. DMONZTA?

Hallett
03-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Travis i would say the 11.5 x 15 would work well thats what i use
on mine. are they a wide ear props ? the only prop's i have tried are
Menkens.

MKEELINE
03-06-2007, 08:33 AM
My money is on the 11.5x15 :D . Seriously though, I think the 12x16 will work best overall.The 11.5x15 has narrow ears w/ a cupped edge. But I guess you never know until you try.

dmontzsta
03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Travis I am not sure what I am doing this weekend, I am still trying to get back on a regular schedule, after Bakersfield. I will let you know towards the end of the week.

WannabeRacing
03-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Dimmensions of the propeller mean less and less the further you get into it, and the more exotic (custom) the propellers. It is all about the shape and how it fits your particular boat.
Ask someone like Rankin. He will have ten props that are the exact same dimmensions, but they will be nothing alike.
My money is on the one that matches your combination the best.

flat broke
03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Trav,
Keep me posted on which day you decide to go out. I'm going to be elbows deep in fiberglass dust this week, but if Momma don't got nothin planned for my next 2 Sundays, I should have time to help out.
Chris

Schiada Time
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Chris- Its looking like the 18th is going to work best. I plan to pull the driveshaft this week, get it to OC Driveline for balancing and new U-joints and then be ready for another test day next weekend. this weekend stands to be pretty crazy with the bachelor party and I figure I'll be pretty hungover Sunday and in no shape to go boating much less lay under my boat and change propellers. Unchained is sending me the 12x16 and If I like I buy. Heading to Dana at lunch to pick up a custom aluminum transom plate he made to plug the speedo pickup holes so I might work on that like Friday evening or something. After I nail down the prop its all about wiring up a stereo (speaker wire is already dropped) buttoning up the interior by putting side panels and rear jumpseats back in, and hopefully getting a name striped on her.
Trav

Schiada Time
03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Bob- You have significantly more HP, taller gears and your boat is most likely a lot lighter than mine although it was originally laid up for ski racing so who knows but I bet mine is still atleast 500 lbs heavier.

Schiada Time
03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Scott- thanks man. Should be an interesting day and I will post some results.
Trav

sawtooth
03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Hey good luck with your testing, don't forget to wear a life jacket.....you just never know, especialy when testing rather than cruzing. Also you might want to take a sharpie marker along for the prop shaft. When trying new/different props it is good practice to slide the prop on with no key installed and mark the shaft at the backside of the prop hub then install the prop with the key(with antisize like Huffpower said) and tighten the nut then check where the mark is in relation to the hub.....should be the same spot as without the key. Also take extra cotter pins for the prop shaft, it is cheep insurance, even if you know your just going to pull the prop 15 mins or a quick blast later put one in it. I have seen the lock nut back off and you DO NOT EVER want to throw a prop.....it's ugly. Ok I am done with this safety meeting and am steping off my soap box now. Most of all have fun. :D

Schiada Time
03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I have all three props now and would like to go testing Sunday 3/18 at Elsinore. I have a 12x15 stainless 3 blade, 11.5x15 stainless 3 blade and a 12x16 stainless 3 blade. Hopefully one is going to get close. If anyone is down to come out let me know.
Trav

Ron Hill
03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
I had something happen about a month ago. I had loaned a prop and a GENTLEMAN and he told me it viberated like hell....I had him send it back, and I checked the pitch and balance......I had spotted a small "SPOT" on the prop with weld before I sent it to him...I notice a small "PIMPLE" og metal in the keyway...I had to grind this little spot out.(The key wasn't letting the prop fit down on the propshaft).
This gentleman can tell you how much faster his diesel went, if he wishes, but he doesn't have to...What I will say, is this. He sent me a check the next day after he tested, though I didn't ask for a check. I am making him a two blade as I write...
But, make sure, the key is not keeping the prop from seating on the shaft. The key should not be bottoming out on the prop...The key is there to keep the prop from spinning...I have had the problem where the key did not let the prop seat...The key way needs to be clean, even polished compound will keep the key from seat properly. And as a result, the prop will viberate, like hell...
Good luck testing props, I've had fun doing it for more than 50 years....
Advice...: If you find a prop you LIKE, BUY IT...DO NOT GET A COPY and try as we might....there are few props that are really a like...
PLAN B has been very good FOR ME and TO ME...At Bakersfield last fall, they won four heats with four different props...They were proud and so was I...This is very unusual!!!
Trust me, if you like a certain prop, make a deal to buy that one!!!!

Schiada Time
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I need someone to come along who has changed props numerous times and does not mind sacrificing a Sat or Sun for some beer, a few laughs and a handful of boat rides.
Travis

Hallett
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Wish i was closer Travis i would have no problem helping you i still say
the 11.5 x15;) will be the one for you. good luck & keep us posted.

Schiada Time
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM
That is where my head is leaning too Bob.

MKEELINE
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I think the 11.5x12 is the one also :D . It's good to see you survived your bachelor party.

Schiada Time
03-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mike. sunday was rough but nothing a few beers at the Goodguys Hot Rod show could not fix. I will be testing either this Sunday or next. Hopefully if all goes well I will be buying your prop.
Travis