PDA

View Full Version : Spring break info on Havasu

DILLIGAF
03-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Spring break not what it used to be in Havasu
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 10:11 PM MST
The local consensus for spring break 2007 appears to be wait and see.
In 1995, MTV put Lake Havasu City on the national radar for college-aged adults looking for a place to party and unwind.
Jarrod Lyman of the Convention and Visitors Bureau said spring break attendance has declined since the mid-'90s MTV bash, which showcased pop culture personalities like Jenny McCarthy and Will Smith.
As for 2007, much is up in the air, Lyman said.
“It's hard to quantify. The one thing different about college students than family vacationers is that college kids have freedom that vacationers might not have,” he said.
Revelers tend to make their plans late, so it's hard to gauge interest other than week-to-week observations, Lyman said. He also noted that domestic travel is up because of new passport regulations connected to traveling out of the country.
Nevertheless, if one adds up all of the official spring-break weeks, its total economic impact is equal to a big holiday such as Memorial Day, July Fourth or Labor Day, Lyman said.
Beginning this Sunday, the first round of college students will head to mostly warm-weather destinations around the globe. Arizona State University, University of Arizona, University of Southern California and University of Nevada, Las Vegas are a few populous schools taking vacations from March 11 to 18.
Several local hotels are hoping students are simply procrastinating on their getaway plans. Reservations are down from recent years, said Island Inn Hotel manager Leo Biasiucci. They were running about 60 to 70 percent full as of Monday.
“The last two years, it has taken a hit,” Biasiucci said.
Jim Compton, a manager with the Hampton Inn, said the weekend of Friday the 16th is starting to fill out.
Although the Hampton expects to pick up some last-minute college students, he acknowledged the lessening local impact since 1995.
“MTV did bring in larger crowds ... each year it seems it drops down a little,” he said.
Unlike some of his competitors, Windsor Inn owner Jay Patel doesn't buy the notion spring breakers habitually book last minute.
Compared to 2006, he is down about 20 percent for room reservations. However, the weekend of March 23 is looking up for his place of lodging, he said.
Patel said the city is not getting its name out to the masses in the right way.
“The city has to promote this town as a tourist town,” he said, adding that more activities for young people would entice vacationing crowds.
Fellow hotel operators he has spoken to say reservations are low this year.
Patel thinks having MTV back in Lake Havasu City wouldn't be a bad thing.
“Why not? If that brings in revenue,” he said.
Shop owners are hoping for a robust spring break, but also are taking a wait-and-see approach.
Jean Krahenbuhl, a manager with Beachcomber's, on Swanson Avenue, said March and April typically are his two strongest sales months. The store sells a wide variety of summer apparel: board shorts, walking shorts, bathing suits, sandals, sunglasses and hats.
Bombora Beachwear peddles similar merchandise, but is closer to the water. Manager Debra Kramer said a few new flip-flops made by Reef should sell well this year.
One version comes equipped with a bottle opener, while others have credit card and key holders. Another version comes with a flask.
Krahenbuhl can understand why students from colder parts of the country look for a warm escape, having just come from Chicago last weekend.
“With as cold as the rest of the country is, it's beautiful here,” she said.
Other school schedules include:
March 18-25 - University of Utah; Northern Arizona University; New Mexico State University
? March 22-28 - University of California, Davis; University of California, Los Angeles
? March 25-April 1 - University of Southern California, Riverside; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Irvine
? April 1-8 - California State University, Fresno
You may contact the reporter at hays@havasunews.com.

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Doesnt look like they factor in people renting houses, students/famalies that already have vacation houses or know someone who does. Im sure that plays a big roll in this as well. I for one hope its because all the guys go to Cancun and the women come to us...:D

havasu5150
03-07-2007, 06:29 AM
It appears that the business people in town want the spring breakers and their dollars. It seems that the city does anything it can to discourage them from coming

Havasu Luvr
03-07-2007, 06:52 AM
It appears that the business people in town want the spring breakers and their dollars. It seems that the city does anything it can to discourage them from coming
BINGO ! ! LHC gives up so much revenue during this 6 week break. Amazing ! ! !

Not So Fast
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
After the pictures that I think "Shaken not Stirred" posted last year with the big bunch of assbites standing in beer cans so thick that you couldnt take a step, well, I hope they dont come back. AND with a trash can right in the middle of the group, I hope somepne has those pic's to post them again to refresh our memory. BTW there was not a boat with in 50 feet of them either so dont blame the boaters Lake Havasu City :mad: :mad: NSF

ratso
03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Around here, and I believe it's still called the same thing, was a program called "SPURS"... which, whenever there were big events such as a fair, rodeo, air show, concerts, what have you, this group would come out either during or after and pick up trash, beer cans, and everything else as far as litter goes. I'd see crews of them all the time cleaning creek bottoms, along roads and other places. What this group was were non-violent people in trouble with the law and they got to work off their time by doing this daily or on weekends... Basically having free clean up crews instead of them sitting it out in jail. Naturally there was a deputy in charge of each crew to watch over everything...;)
Ah the memories...:D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I was in the sauna at the gym last night and there were 2 18 year olds in there talking about how they are going to "wh0re it up" in Havasu sometime in March. :rolleyes: And how they wish MTV was going to be there. :rolleyes:
Maybe I am getting old but the idea of thousands of non-river aware disrespectful college kids does not thrill me. :rolleyes:

Havasu Luvr
03-07-2007, 07:40 AM
After the pictures that I think "Shaken not Stirred" posted last year with the big bunch of assbites standing in beer cans so thick that you couldnt take a step, well, I hope they dont come back. AND with a trash can right in the middle of the group, I hope somepne has those pic's to post them again to refresh our memory. BTW there was not a boat with in 50 feet of them either so dont blame the boaters Lake Havasu City :mad: :mad: NSF
This is true, you have peeps like this where ever you go, I remember just the other day a group of peeps meeting in town for a get together and left a parking lot a mess. Cast the first stome/not in my house. Go figure:D

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I was in the sauna at the gym last night and there were 2 18 year olds in there talking about how they are going to "wh0re it up" in Havasu sometime in March. :rolleyes: And how they wish MTV was going to be there. :rolleyes:
Maybe I am getting old but the idea of thousands of non-river aware disrespectful college kids does not thrill me. :rolleyes:
Did you give them my phone #????:devil:

Havasu_Dreamin
03-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Exactly. MTV is what brought out all of the losers that everyone complains about so why would anyone want that back to bring in more losers is beyond me.....

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Exactly. MTV is what brought out all of the losers that everyone complains about so why would anyone want that back to bring in more losers is beyond me.....
Money.

20" gun's
03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't know. We have tried to use our bonus days at London Bridge for those weekends, and they are almost all the way booked up. We ended up having to rent a house for our party. The girl at the resort said this year has been unusually busy.

havasu5150
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I'mnot complaining about the spring breakers not being there....it appears the business ownersare, at least in the article. I do recall the pictures from last year, they were terrible. The bottom line is Lake Havasu City is a tourist town. They make the majority of their $$$$ from tourism. If the city does not want the spring breakers (mind you they are not doing anything to attract boaters either) they need to try to attract a different element in order to survive.

Debbolas
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
They are probably wearing white glasses :D

franky
03-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I beleive that the picture you are talking of was from one of the big weekends last summer and those assbites where boatless locals infilling the area displaced by the no boat parking thing. It was as you described though, pretty sad.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Money.
Of course, but at some point the cost/benefit analysis needs to be made about that situation. Does the additional revenue generated by MTV and the losers they attrract outweigh the additional problems not only for that weekend or weeks but for the ensuing years.....One may be able to make the argument that part of the 'crackdown' that so many speak of on here is in someway related to the problems that were introduced by the crowd that was attracted to LHC by MTV.....I don't know.....just thinking out loud.....

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
They are probably wearing white glasses :D
It's cool, im not trying to have a relationship with them....:D

franky
03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Me, I can't wait. My son is on the NAU Cheer Team and is bringing 5 cheerleaders and a couple buddies with him. Had to rent a pontoon boat to accomodate. Want to show them a good time you know.

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Of course, but at some point the cost/benefit analysis needs to be made about that situation. Does the additional revenue generated by MTV and the losers they attrract outweigh the additional problems not only for that weekend or weeks but for the ensuing years.....One may be able to make the argument that part of the 'crackdown' that so many speak of on here is in someway related to the problems that were introduced by the crowd that was attracted to LHC by MTV.....I don't know.....just thinking out loud.....
The money they make will out weigh all the problems they encounter. Including littering/clean up, damaged property, etc....It sucks for us though...because we get the new laws enforced upon us after the pricks leave. They dont look at it like that though, nor do they care.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Brandon, they were not cute. :sqeyes: :D As much fun as you are to mess with, I wouldn't wish unattractive tramps upon you. ;)

Not So Fast
03-07-2007, 08:04 AM
I beleive that the picture you are talking of was from one of the big weekends last summer and those assbites where boatless locals infilling the area displaced by the no boat parking thing. It was as you described though, pretty sad.
I thought it was spring break but I could be wrong (old ya know) My point was about NOT A BOAT IN SIGHT and why was local LEO not there saying "gather round boys and girls, this is how it's going down. We either have a mass cleanup and right now or I start writing tickets and people start going to jail, your choice" Please some one post those pictures because you have to see to believe. I'm not against a good time, just SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT!!!!!!!!!! NSF

HavasuSelect
03-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Brandon, they were not cute. :sqeyes: :D As much fun as you are to mess with, I wouldn't wish unattractive tramps upon you. ;)
Well you could have given them my # then:D

catman-do
03-07-2007, 08:12 AM
They need to get new politicians in there that can strategically plan how to attract a tourist base while keeping the city attractive for the full time residents as well as the weekend warrior looking to have a good time. Like with any major city that experiences change in travel base, there will be an influx in trash, disorderly conduct, etc...

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
....ohhhh thanks!!!! Thats why I love ya Linda!!!:D Hows the gym been??? I havent gone in like 6 months...:(

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Well you could have given them my # then:D
You dont have to sink that low do you??? I will introduce you to some nice ones....:)

riverbound
03-07-2007, 08:28 AM
:idea: If you happen to see them again, can you get their names and numbers?;) they might need a place to stay:D
**EDIT**
I just read this and rescind (sp) my offer. :(

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Why not. The boy needs to get some love. ;) :D

riverbound
03-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Why not. The boy needs to get some love. ;) :D
If you ask him, hes got game to spare :rolleyes:

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 08:41 AM
If you ask him, hes got game to spare :rolleyes:
blah blah blah

riverbound
03-07-2007, 08:46 AM
blah blah blah
Wasnt this your personal ad?? ;)
summertime girlfriend needed
First off you must be a purty piece of eye candy, or not
I will take you to river or lake at least once a summer.
With every trip you get a new bikini, thong if you must (im that desperate).
You get to drive my boat when I drink too much at Road Runners, Naked Turtle, Channel, Sand Bar or Copper Canyon.(oh wait, I dont have one)
You can drive the golf cart when I drink too much back at the house.(which is anything over 2 beers)
You can drive my truck when we run out of beer.Hopefully you will have better skills than I, in estimating how much beer we need in the first place.(I never bring any in the first place)
If you see me with a empty beer, you need to replace it quickly.(just not to quickly as I cant drink that much)
You need to be able to back up the trailer at the launch ramp, since I sure as hell cant)
Pole dancing experience is a plus.
Trying to find someone who is 18-76 M.I.L.F.S and Sugar Momma's are encouraged to apply.

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Wasnt this your personal ad?? ;)
Yup...and I will stick to it....:D I like fun girls...what can I say...:devil:
Oh, and dont hate, you posted it on myspace!

Baja Big Dog
03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Its alot like business..you never know the value of a customer until you loose them...well the same goes here, we are a tourist based town, and to think we are at a point we could pick and choose our crowds is suicide.
Take the Laughlin River Run....absoulte needless bullshiit from the law inforcement world, thats why the crowds get fewer and fewer each year, its not the shooting, although its and easy issue to hide behind thats not it, its getting arrested for saying things like "show us your tiits" that is the issue.
Ive heard from more than one person or group that the "fun nazi's" hasseling people for having inocent fun is getting old.
Open up our arms to everone that has a wallet, if we have to pick up a few cans so be it. If not we will just be called Bullhead South!!

DILLIGAF
03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Its alot like business..you never know the value of a customer until you loose them...well the same goes here, we are a tourist based town, and to think we are at a point we could pick and choose our crowds is suicide.
Take the Laughlin River Run....absoulte needless bullshiit from the law inforcement world, thats why the crowds get fewer and fewer each year, its not the shooting, although its and easy issue to hide behind thats not it, its getting arrested for saying things like "show us your tiits" that is the issue.
Ive heard from more than one person or group that the "fun nazi's" hasseling people for having inocent fun is getting old.
Open up our arms to everone that has a wallet, if we have to pick up a few cans so be it. If not we will just be called Bullhead South!!
F HAVASU!
lol
The Laughlin Run is being ruined by the tactics of LEO in town but we don't hang out there anyway. Maybe one night we will go walk around and listen to the bands outside of the Belle/Edgewater but other than that we have enough fun at our BBQ's :)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-07-2007, 09:01 AM
:idea: If you happen to see them again, can you get their names and numbers?;) they might need a place to stay:D
**EDIT**
I just read this and rescind (sp) my offer. :(
I am going to try and get hippie chick to make a river trip with us! One weekend with you and she will be hooked! ;)

Baja Big Dog
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
F HAVASU!
lol
The Laughlin Run is being ruined by the tactics of LEO in town but we don't hang out there anyway. Maybe one night we will go walk around and listen to the bands outside of the Belle/Edgewater but other than that we have enough fun at our BBQ's :)
I actually get more enjoyment out of riding out on Thursday, we counted more bikes on trailers than were riding...until Goffs, them it was a charge into town after the trailers were emptied.....:idea:
Aint those Metro cops from Vegas the bomb!!!! biggest bunch of asssholes Ive ever seen, and quite clear that as far as they are concrned they would be happy if we never came back!!!
I heard of about three or four groups that are going to film these asssholes this year undercover and let the world know how they act during this event.

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 09:16 AM
They need to find a happy medium....
When LEO started putting girls in hand cuffs for flashing the crowds got smaller.:(
It's gotten to the point where the Parker sandbar is much wilder than havasu on big weekends.
If people are being safe and haing fun let things slide. If hodlums show up to fight and cause trouble throw them in the brigg.:)

riverbound
03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I am going to try and get hippie chick to make a river trip with us! One weekend with you and she will be hooked! ;)
WooHoo :D
I need to go by your office again :)

DILLIGAF
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually get more enjoyment out of riding out on Thursday, we counted more bikes on trailers than were riding...until Goffs, them it was a charge into town after the trailers were emptied.....:idea:
Aint those Metro cops from Vegas the bomb!!!! biggest bunch of asssholes Ive ever seen, and quite clear that as far as they are concrned they would be happy if we never came back!!!
I heard of about three or four groups that are going to film these asssholes this year undercover and let the world know how they act during this event.
I don't disagree about the trailering thing at all as it cracks me up also. For me I may have to do that as I will need my truck to launch my boat on Friday. At this time I have someone else that will be driving the truck out so I can ride the bike out on Tues/Wed.
I would also agree with you about the heavy handed cops being LV Metro. The locals are usually pretty good about things.

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
When LEO started putting girls in hand cuffs for flashing the crowds got smaller.:(
It's gotten to the point where the Parker sandbar is much wilder than havasu on big weekends.
If people are being safe and haing fun let things slide. If hodlums show up to fight and cause trouble throw them in the brigg.:)
Yeah, and whats the crap about women getting busted for dancing on boats...?? How can you enforce that!!???

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, and whats the crap about women getting busted for dancing on boats...?? How can you enforce that!!???
They must import there officers from celibacy town because all the officers that I have ever met enjoy beer and watching the ladies dance?:idea: :) :D

gabe1
03-07-2007, 09:34 AM
If people are being safe and haing fun let things slide. If hodlums show up to fight and cause trouble throw them in the brigg.

riverbound
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25829&stc=1&d=1173288846
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25830&stc=1&d=1173288927
Someone must have honked ;)
F-Parker;)

NOTALENT
03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
hehe...fuggin hilarious!:D

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25829&stc=1&d=1173288846
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25830&stc=1&d=1173288927
F-Parker;)
Parker sucks!!!
F.U.N.:D My cake picture is still the best;)

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2007, 10:03 AM
The problem is that 99% of the girls who actually do break the law are BEAT WITH THE UGLY STICK. I have yet to see a smoking hot girl do a lot of the things that go on at the sandbar (@ the sandbar ;)). Some of those bitches NEED to put their clothes back on! Po Po is just trying to keep the quality standards up to par. ;) :D

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
The problem is that 99% of the girls who actually do break the law are BEAT WITH THE UGLY STICK. I have yet to see a smoking hot girl do a lot of the things that go on at the sandbar (@ the sandbar ;)). Some of those bitches NEED to put their clothes back on! Po Po is just trying to keep the quality standards up to par. ;) :D
You need to drink more and leave the contacts back at the house;):D :devil:

Havasu_Dreamin
03-07-2007, 10:17 AM
That's because it's against the law.....

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
That's because it's against the law.....
I didn't vote it into the books;):D

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
You need to drink more and leave the contacts back at the house;):D :devil:
Don't drink at all and have 20/20 vision. Guess I am just screwed. ;) :(

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Don't drink at all and have 20/20 vision. Guess I am just screwed. ;) :(
I believe half of that statement;):devil:

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I believe half of that statement;):devil:
Have not had a drink since before Thanksgiving. :)
I assume that was the 50% you were calling B.S. on. ;) :D

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Have not had a drink since before Thanksgiving. :)
I assume that was the 50% you were calling B.S. on. ;) :D
Atta boy...
Nothing wrong with not drinking.:D
I will do my best to help you break the trend next time I see you;)

riverbound
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Atta boy...
Nothing wrong with not drinking.:D
I will do my best to help you break the trend next time I see you;)
This will do the trick ;)
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25839&stc=1&d=1173293913

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
This will do the trick ;)
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/attachment.php?attachmentid=25839&stc=1&d=1173293913
Don' forget to mix it with this!!!:D
http://www.emol.com/especiales/verano_06/fotos/bikinis.jpg

Ivan Dan
03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
F-Parker;)
This sucks! How much did that cost her?

Cole Trickle
03-07-2007, 11:31 AM
This sucks! How much did that cost her?
Didn't cost her anything she just likes walking around in cuffs;)

HavasuSelect
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
You dont have to sink that low do you??? I will introduce you to some nice ones....:)
Hey man, when the dog's hungry.......he'll eat.