PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' a new rifle (Ruger mini14 / 30)

4day!!
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Got the itch for a new rifle real soon. I am looking real hard at the Ruger mini 14 or mini 30. I'm not sure which one i will be happier with, the 14 is a .223 and the 30 is a 7.62x39. The use of it will pretty much be out in the desert plinking, small/medium sized game. I def. want an autoload, mag. fed rifle. I already have a 22-250 bolt action, 12ga, 20 ga., 410, and a 22 mag bolt action, Ruger single six 22, and a 9mm pistola. Anybody have any input or advice?

Baja Big Dog
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Two different worlds....one is 50 grain at 3k FPS and the other is 170 grain at 2k FPS.
The X39 will blow up more shit and the 223 kill stuff alot further out.
Prob get cheaper 223 but alot of X39 surplus at the Gun Shoes.
Got both and I like the 223

bubbletop409
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I've got a stainless Mini-14 in .223 and love it. Well made, and very dependable with little maintenance. I also have a Colt H-BAR AR-15, and for a survival rifle I would pick the Mini-14 over the Colt, due to the reliability factor. .223 ammo is readily available in both commerical and surplus loads, lighter and smaller than 7.62 X 39, so you can carry more, has better ballastics, and less recoil, plus it's an American round, unlike the commie AK round.

robk
03-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Rob

beaverretriever
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Too bad you live in Cali or I would tell you to get a used basic AR.
The Mini 14 is a great rifle. Extremely reliable, decent looking, and pretty accurate. The biggest problem witht he Ruger is it is a pain in the ass to clean. I never shoot mine because of that reason. I can clean an AR 3 times over for the time it takes to do a half way job on the Ruger.
I didn't even know you guys could still buy that rifle in Cali.:confused:
BTW, stick with the .223. :)
Good luck.

KineticoH20
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I also got the Mini 14, probably the funnest plinker you can buy. It's called a ranch rifle, it's used for varmants! The only drawback is loading the 5 round clip, they go fast. If your in AZ OR NV get a few 30 round clips:D Adamn fine fifle and alot of fun to shoot.

4day!!
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I also got the Mini 14, probably the funnest plinker you can buy. It's called a ranch rifle, it's used for varmants! The only drawback is loading the 5 round clip, they go fast. If your in AZ OR NV get a few 30 round clips:D Adamn fine fifle and alot of fun to shoot.
How reliable are the hi cap. aftermarket clips (as far as jamming)?

77charger
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
How reliable are the hi cap. aftermarket clips (as far as jamming)?
depends on brands i havea 14 and i have the PMI mags they work good i can fire off a 30 rounder in about 3 seconds and they dont jam.Massens work well too,mitchells also and of course factory ruger mags.these are about the only reliables i know of.
some of the plastic ones i have heard work ok stay away from the USA brand mags i hada couple none worked out

Captain Dan
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I've got one of the new Remington Police models - pump action, .223 that takes the standard AR15 magazine. that's a fun gun to shoot.....:)

4day!!
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM
depends on brands i havea 14 and i have the PMI mags they work good i can fire off a 30 rounder in about 3 seconds and they dont jam.Massens work well too,mitchells also and of course factory ruger mags.these are about the only reliables i know of.
some of the plastic ones i have heard work ok stay away from the USA brand mags i hada couple none worked out
do you have to have a AZ. drivers license to buy them in havasu. I live in cali., or do they not require ID for mag. purchases?

Riomouse911
03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I bought a Stainless Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and it could hardly stay on a paper plate at 100 yards...I tried shooting 50, 55, 62, 69 gr pills; match ammo, Russian crap, green-tip mil surp, you name it. Poor accuracy is a regular occurrance with the mini 14, and any mags other than the Ruger factory mags were jam city. I gave it to my Dad. ( Compare, my old 24" bull barrel AR-15 w/6x24 scope will put 10 consecutive shots onto a postage stamp at 150 yds all afternoon...with Fed 69gr match. My current 2 AR's are 16" and 20", and both are 1.5" to 2" grouping guns at worst)
Mini 30 is a bit more versatile if you intend to hunt anything bigger than coyotes, but mags are tough to find. Most 7.62 is 130 gr FMJ plinking stuff, but Remington makes actual hunting ammo that'll work like a .30-30 on deer. Again, the mini 30 knock is fair accuracy at best.
If you want to look at something really fun, and don't want to drop the $1300 for an M1A from Springfield, look into going through the minor hoops at the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and getting an M-1 Garand. .30-06 power, and there's no real recoil (the gun's heavy). 8 shot semi-auto clip, and with a Boyds walnut stock replacing the original they're "head turners" at the range. Plus, once you go through the hoops it'll be mailed right to your door....

YeLLowBoaT
03-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Alot of ppl take mini 14/30s and have them redone. They basicly keep the section of the serial #s on it every thing esle is new or remachined. Rather have a AR, but its as good as you can get in CA.

Liberator TJ1984
03-08-2007, 06:20 AM
I got a mini in .223 , very compact and fun to shoot. But I kinda wish I would have gotten one in 7.62x39 . you are looking at a bullet at almost twice the caliber > more punch , and around here you can buy ammo by 1000rd lots for about 1/2 the price of the .223 rounds:rolleyes: but either way it's a great gun

gramps
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
I bought a Stainless Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and it could hardly stay on a paper plate at 100 yards...I tried shooting 50, 55, 62, 69 gr pills; match ammo, Russian crap, green-tip mil surp, you name it. Poor accuracy is a regular occurrance with the mini 14,
This is a pretty common thing with the mini-14. Have you thought about going out of state and buying a AR used from a private party? Same ammo, a lot more accurate and large mags. I see them for sale all the time in Utah.

NOTALENT
03-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I bought a Stainless Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and it could hardly stay on a paper plate at 100 yards...I tried shooting 50, 55, 62, 69 gr pills; match ammo, Russian crap, green-tip mil surp, you name it. Poor accuracy is a regular occurrance with the mini 14, and any mags other than the Ruger factory mags were jam city. I gave it to my Dad. ( Compare, my old 24" bull barrel AR-15 w/6x24 scope will put 10 consecutive shots onto a postage stamp at 150 yds all afternoon...with Fed 69gr match. My current 2 AR's are 16" and 20", and both are 1.5" to 2" grouping guns at worst)
Mini 30 is a bit more versatile if you intend to hunt anything bigger than coyotes, but mags are tough to find. Most 7.62 is 130 gr FMJ plinking stuff, but Remington makes actual hunting ammo that'll work like a .30-30 on deer. Again, the mini 30 knock is fair accuracy at best.
If you want to look at something really fun, and don't want to drop the $1300 for an M1A from Springfield, look into going through the minor hoops at the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and getting an M-1 Garand. .30-06 power, and there's no real recoil (the gun's heavy). 8 shot semi-auto clip, and with a Boyds walnut stock replacing the original they're "head turners" at the range. Plus, once you go through the hoops it'll be mailed right to your door....
Ahhhhh the M-1 Garand.....That is a beatiful gun and my favorite. My grandpa left me his. That this is one bad ass gun. I love the way it sounds after your last round and the clip flys out. Its got great accuracy as well.

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 08:03 AM
If you want to look at something really fun, and don't want to drop the $1300 for an M1A from Springfield, look into going through the minor hoops at the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and getting an M-1 Garand. .30-06 power, and there's no real recoil (the gun's heavy). 8 shot semi-auto clip, and with a Boyds walnut stock replacing the original they're "head turners" at the range. Plus, once you go through the hoops it'll be mailed right to your door....[/QUOTE]
Typical Hot Boat...the reason we all hang out here.....Someone will ask you the time, and by the end of the day we will tell them how to build a watch!!.....
He asked about the ruger, you tell him to buy the M-1, hopefully he takes your advise, this is the GODFATHER of all rifles...(I know this will open up another 10 pages of arguments, but let it fly), nothing better than a rifle that will kill at 1000 yards (Ive been shooting for 40 years and still dont know how you see a target at 1000 yds!!).

4day!!
03-08-2007, 09:26 AM
How long ago did you buy your mini 14? I have heard the newer models have had the inaccuracy issue adressed pretty well. I shot my buddies Springfield M1A last week and it was bitchin'. The ammo gets a little pricey for that I think, as well as the cost of the rifle. What's a nice M1 Garand sell for?

NOTALENT
03-08-2007, 09:37 AM
How long ago did you buy your mini 14? I have heard the newer models have had the inaccuracy issue adressed pretty well. I shot my buddies Springfield M1A last week and it was bitchin'. The ammo gets a little pricey for that I think, as well as the cost of the rifle. What's a nice M1 Garand sell for?
I have seen refurbished M1 going for about $600+

cdog
03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Any of you guy's see the ammo prices lately? You may want to stick with a 22.
7.62x39 is the cheapest round. 180 per 1k. ,223/.556 comes in second as far as price. 300 per 1k.
Buy what you can afford to shoot. Safe queens suck.

4day!!
03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
For hunting I'd look at .308 or equivelent. You have a 22.250 which has the varmint deal covered better then the .223. While the commie caliber is equivelent to a 30-30...um, so what? For desert fun I'd go with the .223.
The 22-250 i have is fun to shoot, but a bit pricey on ammo, it is also bolt action and holds 5 rounds internally. I want an auto loader with a high cap. mag.

4day!!
03-08-2007, 10:16 AM
i saw your thread from a couple of years ago about the mini14. Did you end up getting one, and how do you like it?

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I sold guns for years a long time ago.
I would avoid a "refurbished" garand...for about $600.00.
Years ago the government in all the infinite wisdom decided to "demill" the surplus garands they had (millions possibility) and they did this by taking a case of rifles at a time and running a band saw through the middle of the receivers!!!
Some people were taking the two halves and matching them up sometimes taking three to make two and they would weld up the receivers to make it whole again. The claim was that the welded receivers were as strong as the unwelded ones.
I did not want to put this theory to test, nor did I want the liability of selling one of these little jewels to someone for them to out. I NEVER heard of a problem with these guns related to the welding, but I just didnt want to take a chance.
On the outside they looked great, the obvious signs of a welded receiver was on the inside where the bolt and op rods slide in the machined grooves. You would have to look for pitting from welding inside the machined slide guides. Often times this was hard to see.
If you find one of these "rebuilt" or "reworked" guns I would recomend haveing it checked out first.
If you find one that has not been welded for $600.00 jump on it, it would be the best gun you will own!!!

4day!!
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I sold guns for years a long time ago.
I would avoid a "refurbished" garand...for about $600.00.
Years ago the government in all the infinite wisdom decided to "demill" the surplus garands they had (millions possibility) and they did this by taking a case of rifles at a time and running a band saw through the middle of the receivers!!!
Some people were taking the two halves and matching them up sometimes taking three to make two and they would weld up the receivers to make it whole again. The claim was that the welded receivers were as strong as the unwelded ones.
I did not want to put this theory to test, nor did I want the liability of selling one of these little jewels to someone for them to out. I NEVER heard of a problem with these guns related to the welding, but I just didnt want to take a chance.
On the outside they looked great, the obvious signs of a welded receiver was on the inside where the bolt and op rods slide in the machined grooves. You would have to look for pitting from welding inside the machined slide guides. Often times this was hard to see.
If you find one of these "rebuilt" or "reworked" guns I would recomend haveing it checked out first.
If you find one that has not been welded for $600.00 jump on it, it would be the best gun you will own!!!
Good info there. thanks BBD

Screaming Pete
03-08-2007, 03:45 PM
what about the best places in so. cal for ammo, shot gun or rifle and hand gun?

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
what about the best places in so. cal for ammo, shot gun or rifle and hand gun?
The gun shows, take a little dollie with you if you want to buy bulk. You cant beat the prices on all the ammo from a guy that usally sets up a couple of tables in diff locations.
Avoid Turners, sometimes good deals on surplus ammo but what a bunch of idiots, I wouldnt buy a camo lighter from that cast of idiots!!! Most preple that go there have forgotten more that these guys know.....its like the Fry's of the shooting world.

77charger
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Any of you guy's see the ammo prices lately? You may want to stick with a 22.
7.62x39 is the cheapest round. 180 per 1k. ,223/.556 comes in second as far as price. 300 per 1k.
Buy what you can afford to shoot. Safe queens suck.thats what reloaders are for.I load match rounds for my ar that nothing off the shelf has come close too..
For my mini i just shoot the wolf stuff thru it and honestly i dont need the hot boat opinion about it.:D It works fine and it is just my plinker-fun gun

cdog
03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
thats what reloaders are for.I load match rounds for my ar that nothing off the shelf has come close too..
For my mini i just shoot the wolf stuff thru it and honestly i dont need the hot boat opinion about it.:D It works fine and it is just my plinker-fun gun
I bought most of my .556 when it was around 150 per 1k. I have a lot of shootin to do before I start reloading.:D I'll have plenty of brass. I've never had a problem with wolf.

77charger
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I bought about 500 rnds of wolf .223 at the gun show last year paid 70 bucks.Cost me about 115 bucks per 1000 of .223 to load all 55fmj.for plinking ammo and of course more for match ammo on the ar usuing 69 grain sierra match bullets.Also load for 30-30,and 300 win mag all done on a single stage press so it takes time to make alot so i buy the cheap stuff for the mini14 and mainly load .223 brass fmj for the ar15.
handgun runs about 120 at most for 1k of .45 230 grain copper fmj but use a dillion press for that so it is way faster:)
just wish i had more time to shoot bought reloaders 8-10 years ago and recovered cost the first year(or some say got to shoot more ammo for the same cost)

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
thats what reloaders are for.I load match rounds for my ar that nothing off the shelf has come close too..
Reloading for the AR is easy, but watch the others, the chamber ramps on the AR will give a little more than others, the reloads although the sizing die is use it only sizes the neck, if the chamber is sloppy on the gun the cases are from they will create a nightmare when attempting to shoot them out of most autoloading 223's, causing jams and giving people the impression that the gun is a piece of shit. Full length dies are available, but your arm will soon grow to 22" guns.
Stick to the gun show rounds, they will save you money in the long run...if they are not accurate enough to shoot varmints then get a real hunting gun.

77charger
03-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Reloading for the AR is easy, but watch the others, the chamber ramps on the AR will give a little more than others, the reloads although the sizing die is use it only sizes the neck, if the chamber is sloppy on the gun the cases are from they will create a nightmare when attempting to shoot them out of most autoloading 223's, causing jams and giving people the impression that the gun is a piece of shit. Full length dies are available, but your arm will soon grow to 22" guns.
Stick to the gun show rounds, they will save you money in the long run...if they are not accurate enough to shoot varmints then get a real hunting gun.
I use full lenghth dies for .223(use to use small base dies at first which are better for autos but found it not necceasary for my 2 rifles) out of the thousands of rounds i have loaded only had a problem with 5 but like i said for plinking way easier to find a good deal on the wolf for the mini 14.
300 mag and 30-30 i use neck size dies.
As for a hunting gun 300 mag is good enough:D Just a pain to get a round finalized cause it kicks to damn hard so time gets short with it.I'm only 160 pounds but finally narrrowed one down now i just need to get my hunt license

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I use full lenghth dies for .223(use to use small base dies at first which are better for autos but found it not necceasary for my 2 rifles) out of the thousands of rounds i have loaded only had a problem with 5 but like i said for plinking way easier to find a good deal on the wolf for the mini 14.
300 mag and 30-30 i use neck size dies.
As for a hunting gun 300 mag is good enough:D Just a pain to get a round finalized cause it kicks to damn hard so time gets short with it.I'm only 160 pounds but finally narrrowed one down now i just need to get my hunt license
License...we dont need no stinking license....
Neck dies work great if your reloading brass that came out of the gun reloading for. That was my point above UNLESS you use full length dies, and you have to admit that the F.L. dies are a pain in the ass....
Go to the 300 WSM, it kicks ass balistically (sp), easier on recoil, not much game in N America that you need a 300 for......definitely a one shot gun....
OH yea, gain some weight..the minimum weight requirement for the forum is 250 lbs!!!:idea: