PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question?

Inked
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a 2006 2500 HD Diesel with mods. Im currently running a 12" drop tounge from Eckhardt and I bent the bottom where the ball is... So Eckhardt keeps telling me that the factory HD towing package that came with the truck is NOT good enough to pull my Magic 28' DB, which at max weight is maybe at a serious stretch 7500lbs.... So does anyone know this to be correct or are they trying to sell me a Class V assembly just to make $$.. Also the tounge I was using was rated at 5000lbs, but not tounge weight so Im still not sure how it bent??? Also does anyone know the tounge weight for what Im running?
Thanks
:devil:

curtis73
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
You don't need a class 5 until something like 12,000 lbs. You're fine on the HITCH, but not that 12" drop. Slamming on the brakes will snap that thing like a twig.

sigepmock
03-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Much like a longer handle on a wrench works at making it easier to turn a bolt....the longer drop on your hitch is working against you and you factory hitch. I drive a lifted truck and tow a smilar size boat all the time but with only a 6 inch drop hitch. Go to etrailer.com and look at the drops they have, you should find a good one there that will work for you. If it was me and my boat I would probably upgrade to the larger hitch just to be safe......losing the boat on the freeway or in a panic stop would be no fun.
Good luck,
Chris

Inked
03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
You don't need a class 5 until something like 12,000 lbs. You're fine on the HITCH, but not that 12" drop. Slamming on the brakes will snap that thing like a twig.
I was told that I have to because of the lift Im at... Otherwise the trailer wont be level so Im told...... ???

Havasu Hangin'
03-08-2007, 05:09 AM
I was told that I have to because of the lift Im at... Otherwise the trailer wont be level so Im told...... ???
I've got the Reese Titan WD setup. The problem you'll have is that the max 2 1/2" drop reciever that Reese makes around is 7-8". for 12", you'll probably need something custom, with some struts to support the lower part of the reciever.

Brewzed
03-08-2007, 08:30 AM
I have an 06 HD with the CST 11/9 w/ 38's. I ordered my trailer w/ the tongue mounted on top of the frame instead of inline with the frame. It is 6" taller than a stock trailer. I can use a 8" aluminum stinger hitch that is rated at 8000lbs or my adjustable aluminum hitch that has a 10,000lb rating.
Do you have airbags? Other than Amp steps, those are the best investment on a lifted truck. Nothin looks gayer than a truck sagging to the road towing a trailer

curtis73
03-08-2007, 03:49 PM
The class 5 hitch has nothing to do with hitch height, so I'm not sure why they told you that. The bottom line is that lifted trucks will always have this issue. You either have to raise the tongue of the trailer, or drop the hitch ball using an insert with a long drop to it. With some trailers its best to go SOA and use larger tires on the trailer to raise it up, but with boats that just makes launching and loading a pain.
I would personally look into adjustable tongues. They make couplers that mount on two steel plates and you can set them at different heights. Here is one style:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/12869_lg.gif
That way you can raise the coupler to meet a stronger 4" drop insert, maintain all the strength of both, and make the trailer adjustable so it can be towed behind anything.

Dan Lorenze
03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
So Eckhardt keeps telling me that the factory HD towing package that came with the truck is NOT good enough to pull my Magic 28' DB, which at max weight is maybe at a serious stretch 7500lbs.... So does anyone know this to be correct or are they trying to sell me a Class V assembly just to make $$.. :devil:
I've been going to them since the 80's. Their work is top notch and they are straight shooters over there. Seems to me that the higher you go with your truck you give up strength because the weight is being leveraged farther away from the receiver, with a big, heavy boat that could be dangerous should you have to lock up your brakes or swerve out of the way of something in the road. It's all math.. The heavier and higher you go, the less weight you can pull safely. I say take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion, they might tell you the same thing.
Good luck

curtis73
03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh my gosh, Dan.... I'm rolling on the floor. Your avatar is Sleestaks. Whew... ok, took me a minute there. Thanks for the throwback. Sid and Marty Kroft were GENIUSES.
I have had both good and back luck with Eckhardt. They did one hitch for me on a used truck that I bought that was inspiring, but the electrical 7-pole they did caused a fire destroying some paint and most of the engine bay wiring. They refused to take any responsibility and actually asked me to pay for the damages to their shop because it was my truck. Go figure, but fortunately I hadn't signed the papers yet so the dealer ended up suing and won.
Eckhardt is fine, but just like Quicky Lubes they have their corporate drawbacks and incompetent members from time to time.
Whatever you do, do it right. Huge drop hitches are a pain anyway. They're so far behind the axle and so low that they drag on darn near everything. I say raise the tongue and meet in the middle with a modest drop.

plaster dave
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Accurate hitchs in santa clarita did mine for $350.00 and the 14.5 drop for $150.00 hope that helps. I tow all the time with zero problems.:D

Inked
03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Accurate hitchs in santa clarita did mine for $350.00 and the 14.5 drop for $150.00 hope that helps. I tow all the time with zero problems.:D
thanks..... I think my drop is only a 10"..... Such a pain in the arse at this point.............

jh4rt
03-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Class IV Factory receivers are typically rated with two ratings. The first is a weight carrying rating, typically only 5000 lbs. The second is weight distributing, which is what you would be doing if you were using an "eaz-lift" type set-up. These set-ups hook into the receiver and have a set of bars that hook to the trailer with chains, actually reversing the force of your tongue weight. That said, you should have a receiver that is rated for at least the weight of your boat (7500#?) as a weight carrying receiver. In that respect, Eckhart's is right.
Leverage is a bitch. Archimedes once said..."with a lever long enough, I can move the world..." Your extra long ballmount creates a really big lever on the hitch. It could easily result in a dramatic failure of your receiver, ball-mount etc... When they do fail, it really sucks.
That said, Sol is a better bet than Eckhart's. But, If you really want the best you should call Hitch Masters in Van Nuys: Ask for my brother, Tony. 818.787.7715

Inked
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Class IV Factory receivers are typically rated with two ratings. The first is a weight carrying rating, typically only 5000 lbs. The second is weight distributing, which is what you would be doing if you were using an "eaz-lift" type set-up. These set-ups hook into the receiver and have a set of bars that hook to the trailer with chains, actually reversing the force of your tongue weight. That said, you should have a receiver that is rated for at least the weight of your boat (7500#?) as a weight carrying receiver. In that respect, Eckhart's is right.
Leverage is a bitch. Archimedes once said..."with a lever long enough, I can move the world..." Your extra long ballmount creates a really big lever on the hitch. It could easily result in a dramatic failure of your receiver, ball-mount etc... When they do fail, it really sucks.
That said, Sol is a better bet than Eckhart's. But, If you really want the best you should call Hitch Masters in Van Nuys: Ask for my brother, Tony. 818.787.7715
How funny, I spoke with him on Friday and Im planning on having him do the whole set up the right way this week... Thanks again for alls help...........

boatnam2
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
i had the rapid hitch 11"drop aluminium reciever,towed a 28ft lavey deck boat which i would say is quite a but heavier then the magic with no problems.rated a 10k i think.do a search you will find them.

plaster dave
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
How funny, I spoke with him on Friday and Im planning on having him do the whole set up the right way this week... Thanks again for alls help...........
Call accurate first cause mine is set up for 10,000 lbs and was less money then everyone else.

plaster dave
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Accurate Trailers Hitch & welding inc. 661-251-9234