PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Dual pane windows

EmpirE231
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
anybody here a dealer or distributer? looking to get my windows replaced within the next 2-3 months. have got a rough quote from home depo for around $7,000 or so for all the windows... 2 story house... 1900 square feet.. don't remember how many windows total?
has anybody here has theirs done?? any big differences to the temperature in you house... or reduced noise??
:)

Tom Brown
03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't forget to request the dog bark sound insulation. :cool:

Jbb
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Woof....:D

cdog
03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
anybody here a dealer or distributer? looking to get my windows replaced within the next 2-3 months. have got a rough quote from home depo for around $7,000 or so for all the windows... 2 story house... 1900 square feet.. don't remember how many windows total?
has anybody here has theirs done?? any big differences to the temperature in you house... or reduced noise??
Just a FYI.. When I show homes where people have installed the Vinyl windows, the seller will chime in on how they have upgraded the windows and 9 times out of 10 the buyers see them as cheap and are not impressed or willing to pay more for the home because of them. I'd go with builder quality.

waterboy
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
i went with milgard nice windows

YeLLowBoaT
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Don't let home depot do anything to your house...
When it comes to windows you get what you pay for, same with the install. most ppl can't install a vinyl window and trim kit right to save thier life.

EmpirE231
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Don't forget to request the dog bark sound insulation. :cool:
Bark sound insulation..... CHECK!!
CDog ... do you mean they prefer steel windows over the vinyl windows? or don't go with the home depot brand windows?? :confused: I always thought the vunyl windows looked much better...
Don't let home depot do anything to your house...
yeah... my dad will be doing the install....very well experienced :) and free... can't beat that!

tcook33
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm a dealer located here in Simi. www.empirebuilderssupply.com
What product did you get quoted from Home Depot? Window Master? If that's your budget, I have a vinyl window that matches in price but exceeds 10X in quality.
Check out the site. Ignore the home page paragraph. It needs to be changed. We arent "builders", and that paragraph make us sound like builders. Our webmaster uploaded the wrong info and he hasnt changed it yet......:confused:
Let me know.

ULTRA21XS
03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
I would go with milgard...They stand behind their product 100%....Problem you will have with some of the cheaper ones is that the dual pane windows will leak and they get all milky between the glass and you can never get it out. Milgard will replace them for the life. And i would NEVER use Home Depot for a project at my house....All they do is subcontract the work out...And then do not stand behind their sub contractors....Just my 2 cents.... :)
since were are on windows.....Here is a great window cleaner for your home
So Cal Window Cleaning
805-584-0718 Andrew

EmpirE231
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I put Milguard in my house. We called Lowes and got their measurement guys to make sure the windows fit, then ordered them.
Not hard to install, wife is happy, but I agree that I'd rather have complete new frames rather than vinyl inside the original frames.
Do they charge for the measuring?
I plan on doing the retro-fit type?? where you replace the whole window I believe

oldshallett
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
A good friend of mine makes vinyl windows. You in so cal?

CA Stu
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I went with Anlin.
Half nailfin, wood trim around the window made removal easy, half retro-fit (they were stucco right up to the frame).
Spendy as hell, but what a difference over the old aluminum frame piece of crap windows I had. Amazing.
I was quoted $17k including $4800 install, ended up doing the install myself, saved a shitload of cash.
Check around. I did a lot of research, and the Anlin windows really stood out to me as the best built and best warrantied windows available here in So. Cal..
They are a great investment, and if you have any kind of home improvement experience, they aren't very hard to install.
If you can hang a door and make it close right, windows will be a total breeze :D
Thanks
CA Stu

HalletDave
03-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Milgard vinyl, low "E";) I installed all the windows and patio door myself over 6 years ago. They made a big difference. Remember to measure each window opening, re-measure, and measure a gain. I have never seen a perfectly square window opening in any house. .02 Good luck.:)

EmpirE231
03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm a dealer located here in Simi. www.empirebuilderssupply.com
What product did you get quoted from Home Depot? Window Master? If that's your budget, I have a vinyl window that matches in price but exceeds 10X in quality.
Check out the site. Ignore the home page paragraph. It needs to be changed. We arent "builders", and that paragraph make us sound like builders. Our webmaster uploaded the wrong info and he hasnt changed it yet......:confused:
Let me know.
I think home depot was selling the "JEN.. something" brand??

cdog
03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Bark sound insulation..... CHECK!!
CDog ... do you mean they prefer steel windows over the vinyl windows? or don't go with the home depot brand windows?? :confused: I always thought the vunyl windows looked much better...
yeah... my dad will be doing the install....very well experienced :) and free... can't beat that!
I'm not sure what brand or who installs them. I get negative comments from buyers when home owners rattle on about the 12k in windows they just put in. They expect to see something that looks builder grade or better and most of the time the retro fits look cheap.
The whole PVC feel and look is what I think they are referring to.

tcook33
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I think home depot was selling the "JEN.. something" brand??
Not sure......Jeld-Wen?

EmpirE231
03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Not sure......Jeld-Wen?
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it.

CA Stu
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.anlin.com/default.htm
http://www.ebetterqualityhomes.com/id1.html
I just went through what you are going through. Save yourself the hassle and check those sites out.
If you go retrofit, you use the old aluminum frame. Caulk around the stucco on the wall, then caulk the exterior flange on the window. That way you get a good seal.
Have the company measure for you. We had 2 guys come out. The salesman took a rough measurement to price out the windows, then before they took my money, the "measurer" came out and did a final measure for the actual construction.
Be careful on the install. You say you're going to do it yourself, the retrofits are easier than shit. Use a lot of caulk and some Great Stuff, it'll be airtight.
Nailfins are a bit more involved, you have to remove the original frame completely and install a new framed window directly onto the wood fram of your house. I used 6" wide self-adhesive flashing between the window frame and the wood of the house, and some fresh construction paper.
Take your time and you'll have something to be proud of. Forget C-dog's advice, unless you're looking to sell your home ASAP, spending some time and money on nice new windows will be money and time well spent.
Thanks
CA Stu

Mike.A
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Jen-Weld is the name.
Which ever you choose ( Aluminum or Vinyl ) make sure the glass is Low-e. It will save money on utilities and cut down on u.v fading in the house.

CA Stu
03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Do they even still make aluminum frame windows?
Why?
Aluminum sucks as an insulator!
The ones I replaced were single pane aluminum frame and boy did they suck.
Thanks
CA Stu

CA Stu
03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Jen-Weld is the name.
Wrong again!
http://www.jeld-wen.com/
Thanks
CA Stu
PS from thisoldhouse.com
Aluminum-frame windows offer the low cost and low maintenance of vinyl versions; they're also durable. The major drawback to aluminum-frame windows is their metal frame-they conduct heat easily, earning them a high U-value. (Higher is not better here — the higher the U-value, the more heat a frame loses.) Compared with vinyl or wood frames, which fall within the 0.3 to 0.5 range, aluminum frames can have a U-value as high as 2. They also tend to feel cold to the touch and are prone to condensation.
Those drawbacks make aluminum-frame windows suitable only for warm climates where cooling bills are greater than heating bills. If you decide to install aluminum windows, be sure the ones you order are equipped with a thermal break in the frame — usually a strip of plastic or rubber that keeps the inside and outside of the frame separate in order to help limit heat conductivity.

OCMerrill
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I have installed a bunch of retro windows. I have settled on Millguard because they seem a bit more established. What good is a lifetime warranty if the company goes belly up? On the homeowner side the warranty cannot be beat. Have a problem, make a call and the little Millguard van shows up. Done:)
I don't do any private work (we are HOA contractors only) but I would have to say retrofits are the easiest windows to install. Described well by CA Stu and others.
The flanged windows that seal to the stucco are called "Z Bar" and you need to use a very high quality polyurethane sealant....this is key.
I do however recommend against a retro slider. Cut the stucco and install another nail in. Retros flex to much and just don't have that last forever feel when it comes to sliders.

imirsh1
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I purchased over 2 million in Milgard windows last year , I do all the residential soundproofing around the LAX airports,PM me if you need milgard windows.I install and measure as well. By the way stay away from Home depot windows.

the_gray_goose
03-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Where are you located?
My buddy owns american window company in covina.
He will hook you up. great prices and installs.
call him and tell him darren sent you.
Danny Piantanida (626)967-4073

scooooter7
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Do the Milgard windows only come in White?? I don't like the look of the extra few inches inside the existing window frame. I almost went with Anderson, but the cost made me baulk.

THATJEFFGUY
03-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I've always had good luck with these guys..and their prices can't be beat !
http://www.atiwindows.com/

waterboy
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
i just bought windows from danny at american window company 2 weeks ago:D good guy

the_gray_goose
03-22-2007, 01:14 PM
i just bought windows from danny at american window company 2 weeks ago:D good guy
Yes,
Danny at American Window is a real straight shooter.
And his business is doing well because of it.
Anyone on here that need windows should give him a call.

EmpirE231
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes,
Danny at American Window is a real straight shooter.
And his business is doing well because of it.
Anyone on here that need windows should give him a call.
Do they come out and give free estimates? good pricing??
one of my buddies got his whole house done in temecula about 3 years ago... for around 7 grand! .. is that unheard of these days?

BajaMike
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
The installer makes a huge difference.....make sure it's a good installer, get references and check them out!

tcook33
03-22-2007, 03:03 PM
one of my buddies got his whole house done in temecula about 3 years ago... for around 7 grand! .. is that unheard of these days?
You still kicking tires here?

ULTRA26 # 1
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I had vinyl windows installed about 2 years ago. Much quieter and my a/c and heat bills went way down. At least 30% each. IMO $7,000 from Home Depot sounds on the very low side. Should be more than $7K unless you have less than 12 windows.
John M

EmpirE231
03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
You still kicking tires here?
still racking up a couple extra G's so I can get it out of the way :)
I had vinyl windows installed about 2 years ago. Much quieter and my a/c and heat bills went way down. At least 30% each. IMO $7,000 from Home Depot sounds on the very low side. Should be more than $7K unless you have less than 12 windows.
John M
well that quote was just materials... and that was for the retrofit.. should actually be a little cheaper I think for the nail ins? and my dad will be doing all the installs.. can't beat free labor :D

the_gray_goose
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I believe so.
Call him

beernut
03-22-2007, 07:42 PM
i would stay away from the retros, they tend to leak as the seal is against the stucco which is poris, we did the nail-in's, well worth doing ,went with vinyl and the grids all the way around, about $4k for 11 windows, from home D. ,but we re-stucco'd the house at the same time, otherwise you have to fix the gap's around the windows, retros slide inside the old window frame's ,watched the windo guys put em in across the street, took about 20 min. ea! :D

tcook33
03-22-2007, 08:15 PM
still racking up a couple extra G's so I can get it out of the way :)
Do yourself a favor and DONT buy from the Depot. It's not worth it. That's good, solid, free, experienced advice. Use it.
What manufacturer did you decide to go with? Or have you not decided? Retro-fit or nail-on?

EmpirE231
03-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm Gonna go with the nail ons. so that jen weld or whatever it's called brand is no good? what's a better brand to go with that's around the same price range? what brand did you say you can get for around same price?
have you heard of homelife windows?

UltraLucky
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I've always had good luck with these guys..and their prices can't be beat !
http://www.atiwindows.com/
We used these on our re-model last year. Local company in Old Town area of Upland very easy to work with call them with your sizes & options and they will have them in 2 weeks. They are not the best windows but they are a good value and much better than you will find @ the local Home Depot/Lowes. They also have a built in retractable screen option that we used on the front windows.

tcook33
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm Gonna go with the nail ons. so that jen weld or whatever it's called brand is no good? what's a better brand to go with that's around the same price range? what brand did you say you can get for around same price?
have you heard of homelife windows?
Actually, Jeld-Wen isn't a bad product. Just don't put yourself in a position to rely on Home Depot to help you. I promise you, you WILL need help and you WILL have a bad experience.
Homelife? No.
There is a product called MI. They are a good product at a REALLY good price point.

EmpirE231
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Actually, Jeld-Wen isn't a bad product. Just don't put yourself in a position to rely on Home Depot to help you. I promise you, you WILL need help and you WILL have a bad experience.
Homelife? No.
There is a product called MI. They are a good product at a REALLY good price point.
do you guys do free estimates? come out and measure?? ... haha I guess you can call me a "window shopper" :D

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Just a FYI.. When I show homes where people have installed the Vinyl windows, the seller will chime in on how they have upgraded the windows and 9 times out of 10 the buyers see them as cheap and are not impressed or willing to pay more for the home because of them. I'd go with builder quality.
You can make them look alot nicer if you wrap the jambs in wood and install a wood sill & apron.

Magnuman
03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Also a good quality vinyl window in many cases is not cheaper than a wood or clad window.
It all depends on your use, location and aesthetic that determines the application.
The savings usually comes in not having to paint or stain.

tcook33
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
do you guys do free estimates?
Yes.
come out and measure??
Yes, but it depends on where you live......
From what I remember, you are a ways out.........and it seems you've done enough research that you probably have a pretty comprehensive list of dimensions and specs. If you are interested, I can shoot you some numbers based on a list you provide for me.

oldshallett
03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey empire, you have a pm

purrfecttremor
03-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Doe's anyone know anything about thermastare by pella ? I priced them at lowes this mornig and seem like there pretty good quality. Ihink i would go with the low e with tint.

Jrocket
03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I have Home Depots dual pane windows and they couldnt be any worse.Every window has moisture inbetween them,dirst and debris! One of them has 4 inches of water collected between the two glass pieces!
Stay away from Home Depots stuff,and these were to be their top stuff!

purrfecttremor
03-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Bump! Any info on pella windows?

purrfecttremor
03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Bump!!

tcook33
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Bump! Any info on pella windows?
Call em. They sell direct to the end user.

Jyruiz
04-15-2007, 06:04 PM
My brother-in-law and I installed mine on Saturday in the Havi house, they came out real good and took us less than half the day.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28708&stc=1&d=1176688965
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28709&stc=1&d=1176688972

purrfecttremor
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I did 8 up stairs at home yesterday and came out real nice.Went with pella after researching on consmer guide.

Jyruiz
04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh, the ones I went with are Milgard, got them at cost thru my brother-in-law so I got the top of the line ones.

OCMerrill
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
My brother-in-law and I installed mine on Saturday in the Havi house, they came out real good and took us less than half the day.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28708&stc=1&d=1176688965
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28709&stc=1&d=1176688972
Looks great.
I have installed a ton of Z-bar retros on the HOA side. Defect replacements to original windows that have leaked moisture in and condensed inside.
Easier to install than one thinks. Just did my own house in So Cal about a month ago. Dig it.
They make a big difference on the cooling bill as well.

Old school Ultra
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I used Anlin from a place in Chatsworth, Better window than Depot sells and better deal.

beerjet
04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I used to install for a company here in alta loma . We only used Milgard windows . We would install other brands if the home owner absolutly would not go with milgard . That was alway a big mistake on there part . Milgard does low-E glass as a standard on all there windows . After haveing worked with other companies window and the company them selves , it is amazing to me why you would gop with anything else .
Nail-on are another thing that drive me nuts . Why would you tear into a perfectly good seal on the exterior of your house just so when it's all said and done you have this huge stucco patch ring around all your windows . I dont care how good a stucco guys says he is . It's obvoius a mile away. You lose about an inch of window all the way around but with the vinyls you get a clean fresh frame to look at and is ten times better insulated . I would only look at Milgards . Zero hassle with the company and 100% lifetime warranty (except if you break the glass of course) By far the best .
Pella used to make a real good window . Better than the milgards but they were also at least double . Company was sold or something but anyways they only make garbage now .

Boozer
05-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Bump for the guy asking questions about windows.
Also.. a few things.
As mentioned before SPEND THE MONEY ON GOOD WINDOWS!!
When we remodeled my fathers house we added an addition to it. The addition has Pella windows. The Pella windows looked nice until I started shopping for windows for the rest of the house. I can't remember the brand we went with but the salesman told me they are manufactured by GE and resold as something else. The Pellas look like sh*t and the difference is quality is more then obvious looking at them compared to the rest of the house.
On most of the house I had them put in Low E. The front of the house got the most exposure to the sun so I had them put Low E squared in the front of the house. I also went with Argon filled because it is suppose to add an additional layer of insulation.

scooooter7
07-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Where are you located?
My buddy owns american window company in covina.
He will hook you up. great prices and installs.
call him and tell him darren sent you.
This number has been disconnected and is no longer in use. Does anyone else have someone to give me an estimate for 9 windows in the San Gabriel Valley??