PDA

View Full Version : Boat or roadster

phebus
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I have been looking for a '32 Ford Roadster for a while now, with the idea of getting one in the future. Well, yesterday I looked at one, and fell in love with it. Now, the question is, should I sell my boat, and buy the roadster and a used pontoon, or just keep the boat, and keep saving until I can buy another roadster.
Life is so complicated, I'd better have a beer....................:idea:

Jyruiz
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
This place is becoming Hotpontoonboat, so you will still fit in Rick.:D Go for it if that is what you really want.

TOBTEK
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
keep your boat and save some pennies. Or.... sale your boat and just use mine, I hardley ever do :) you know where its at.

RiverDave
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Your not gonna get shit for the boat right now so I'd say keep it.. Although if I had to make a prediction the used boat market is going to be a buyers market for the next 2 - 3 years atleast..
RD

Redneck
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
wow and I heard Rick gives good discounts

Cole Trickle
03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
keep the boat!:)

SummitKarl
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I have been looking for a '32 Ford Roadster for a while now, with the idea of getting one in the future. Well, yesterday I looked at one, and fell in love with it. Now, the question is, should I sell my boat, and buy the roadster and a used pontoon, or just keep the boat, and keep saving until I can buy another roadster.
NOOOOOOOO
stick with the boats please:D

JB in so cal
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
you're retired, right? Slap a plate on this baby and drive around town @ 17mph...:D
http://www.fairwaycarts.com/images/roadster.jpg

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
NOOOOOOOO
stick with the boats please:D
And I was all set to join your car club. :)

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
wow and I heard Rick gives good discounts
If I was going to do this, I would blow the boat out, so I could buy the car before someone else. It is being sold by a snowbird that wants to sell the car before he returns to Montana in three weeks.

stickers
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Can't go wrong with a Deuce, I've this one just now going together.
But...it won't float.....Big Deuce run in Victoria BC in july over 500 32's already registered at least 60 from LA & the Bay makin the trip. know of a couple even coming from LHC tuff decision Good Luck

Biglue
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
That's a tough one Phebus. I'd lean towards keeping the boat. It's a lot cooler beached in a boat that a roadster. :D

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Nice steel body. The one I'm looking at is glass, and it's a three window coupe.

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
That's a tough one Phebus. I'd lean towards keeping the boat. It's a lot cooler beached in a boat that a roadster. :D
I wouldn't go boatless, I would pick something up.

MR HARLEY
03-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Baller. :D

stickers
03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
there's a nice roadster for sale in LHC also $55k it's in the golf course area

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
there's a nice roadster for sale in LHC also $55k it's in the golf course area
For 55k, it must be really nice. The one I'm looking at is considerably cheaper.

SummitKarl
03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
And I was all set to join your car club. :)
trust me you would fit right in;) :D
I really have to introduce you to RiverRoyals parents sometime:D
God save Havasu:D
just go to the Ford dealer this Saturday..we will be there in force:D

Rvr Swpr
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
For 55k, it must be really nice. The one I'm looking at is considerably cheaper.
If alot cheaper think about taking out a line of credit on your property,buy the car give it 2 or 3 months ,then sell one or the other.

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
If alot cheaper think about taking out a line of credit on your property,buy the car give it 2 or 3 months ,then sell one or the other.
In retirement (forced medical), and on a fixed budget, the last thing I want to do is take a loan against my property, and take on another payment.

rrrr
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Buy the roadster and keep the boat!
(See "Baller" thread for instructions)
:D

phebus
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Buy the roadster and keep the boat!
(See "Baller" thread for instructions)
:D
If I did that, my wife would kick my balls up into my chest. That's the baller I would be. :D

beaverretriever
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Nice steel body. The one I'm looking at is glass, and it's a three window coupe.
Well, you could have the car and a pontoon, thats not bad deal.
I would say do it, if it was a glass 5 window, or a steel roadster. BTW, its not called a "roadster" if it is a 3 window. ;)
How much is this guy asking and do you have pix.
You can get in to a Brookville steel body 32' roadster finished for under 55k if you really look hard.
You can get a Brookville 31' for probably under 40k if you really look. The average guy wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 31 and 32if he saw you driving around. Brookville steel bodies are by far the best replicas out there. The 31 body can be had from SoCal Speed Shop shimmed on duece rails for under 14k if I believe, so a finished car should definitely be had for under the 40k mark like I said.

AZJD
03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
What is this saving you speak of?:confused: Finance that shit.....:D
Leverage yourself up to your eyeballs....:eek:

Jordy
03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
If I did that, my wife would kick my balls up into my chest. That's the baller I would be. :D
So you don't tell her!!! Come up with a crazy story about a long lost aunt or other distant relative and some inheritance. You've got way more plasma than you need anyway!!! :D :D :D

Mandelon
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Can you even drive that car around in the summer?? Does it have A/C? you'll look so cool with sweat running down that streamlined brow...:D
If that's what you really want go for it, there's gonna be a ton of boats for sale at low prices for a while so I bet you could get a deal on another one.
What would you want for the Carrera??? I hear you can test the market in the Spam section....:idea:

JB in so cal
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Can you even drive that car around in the summer?? Does it have A/C? you'll look so cool with sweat running down that streamlined brow...:D
If that's what you really want go for it, there's gonna be a ton of boats for sale at low prices for a while so I bet you could get a deal on another one.
What would you want for the Carrera??? I hear you can test the market in the Spam section....:idea:
That's a great idea:)

phebus
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Well, you could have the car and a pontoon, thats not bad deal.
I would say do it, if it was a glass 5 window, or a steel roadster. BTW, its not called a "roadster" if it is a 3 window. ;)
How much is this guy asking and do you have pix.
You can get in to a Brookville steel body 32' roadster finished for under 55k if you really look hard.
You can get a Brookville 31' for probably under 40k if you really look. The average guy wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 31 and 32if he saw you driving around. Brookville steel bodies are by far the best replicas out there. The 31 body can be had from SoCal Speed Shop shimmed on duece rails for under 14k if I believe, so a finished car should definitely be had for under the 40k mark like I said.
Yeah, I know it's a coupe, not a roadster.
1932 Ford Coupe
Kilbourne Rod Shop
5 window coupe. 3" Graffiti style chop
Rootlieb steel hood
Ball's power windows, door openers, tinted glass
Frame- American stamping rails, fully boxed, Z'd in rear
Front-Heidt's superide independent fully polished
stainlesssteel upgrade, Aldan coil overs
Rear- 8" Ford 3:00 ratio Chasis Engr. Tri link
350 Chevy
Turbo 350 trans
All sorts of other really cool parts, and 3800mi since built.

03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
!932 Ford Coupe
Kilbourne Rod Shop
5 window coupe. 3" Graffiti style coupe
Rootlieb steel hood
stainlesssteel upgrade, aldan coil overs
350 Chevy
Turbo 350 trans
get out of the turtle and get the damn camera out and lets see this bad boy

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 06:54 PM
!932 Ford Coupe
Kilbourne Rod Shop
5 window coupe. 3" Graffiti style coupe
Rootlieb steel hood
stainlesssteel upgrade, aldan coil overs
350 Chevy
Turbo 350 trans
Is this the same type car you drove in high school.:D :)

phebus
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Is this the same type car you drove in high school.:D :)
Nah, Ma made me ride the horse :D Besides that, the '32 came out a few years after I graduated (O.K., if Id'a passed) :D

Baja Big Dog
03-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Speaking quietly....get the pontoon and the car, year round bang for your buck. The pontoon was the best thing I did, launch it, throw up in it, bang the ole lady on the seat, drop anchovies on the deck...land it squirt the big chunks off the park it.
And viola...more time for beer............

beaverretriever
03-08-2007, 07:20 PM
1932 Ford Coupe
Kilbourne Rod Shop
5 window coupe. 3" Graffiti style chop
Rootlieb steel hood
stainlesssteel upgrade, Aldan coil overs
350 Chevy
Turbo 350 trans
Ah, before you said it was a 3 window in your first post. 5 windows are the way to go. Much better looking and have always been a notch up on the pre-war vehicle chain than the 3 windows. I didn't think Kilbourne built a 5 window???:confused:
I would love to see some pix if you get a chance. Sounds a little new school for me, but still sounds nice. What wheels?

phebus
03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I will take pics tomorrow, if the wife lets me out of the house. She's convinced I'm going to but it. She said over her dead body. I sure am going to miss her. :D

phebus
03-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I will take pics tomorrow, if the wife lets me out of the house. She's convinced I'm going to but it. She said over her dead body. I sure am going to miss her. :D
Here is a picture off the Kilbourne website of the car (shitty picture, but it's all I have for now)
http://www.rodshop.net/images/ramick5w2b.jpg

Havasu1986
03-08-2007, 07:44 PM
And good thing Shebus doesn't read ***boat:D

2forcefull
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Wait and get a real car, if it aint steel, it aint real!!!!
and if it's steel and ford didn't make it it's not a thirty two,
watch your self!!! those glass cars all have fordged numbers and
dmv is crack'n down hard!!!

phebus
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Steve, can I get the VIN off it, and take it to the MVD and see if it would be a problem to register, or is there some other way to check it out? I just want a driver, and this would fit the bill. It has air, tilt, rack and pinion steering, and all sorts of goodies to make it a good driver.
I really like that '34 of yours. :D

phebus
03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Probably upper 40's, and it is loaded, and has a year of Mercury extended warranty left.

2forcefull
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
heres the deal, 32s were stamped on the frame, most glass cars have a tag on the body that was forged and has fake paper work that was signed off illegally. once you buy it it's your problem. the only way you can legaly buy a fake 32 is if the title says special construction, all most imposable to insure, and it kills the value.

2forcefull
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
also 32s vin's start with a star followed buy the numbers 18*******

phebus
03-08-2007, 08:09 PM
The frame is built by Kilbourne, the mfg. of the car. http://www.rodshop.net/32-frame.html I'm sure it would be a special construction, as nothing on the car is original. I'd better check into insurance before I consider it any further. As far as special construction killing value, I believe the selling price reflects the fact that it's special construction, and is appropriate.

Throttle
03-08-2007, 08:13 PM
dont do it rick...
i guess you can buy a ferry and put the roadster on it... you and linda can sit in the rumble seat in the channel...

2forcefull
03-08-2007, 08:13 PM
as long as the price starts with the #2 you'll be allright
check out hotrodhotline.com to see a bunch of those

phebus
03-08-2007, 08:21 PM
as long as the price starts with the #2 you'll be allright
check out hotrodhotline.com to see a bunch of those
I went to that site, and couldn't find anything in the 2's, unless it was complete junk. The car I'm looking at, is in the lower 3's.

nodigg
03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Keep the boat, buy the car, don't tell the wife, keep the car in my garage and leave me a key so I can move it out of the way when I need to. When you wanna drive it just tell her you are borrowing it from me. ( Be sure the tank is full when you drop it off.:D
Rick, Is this the one on Date Palm? Looks the same except the one I looked at is more red incolor.

phebus
03-08-2007, 08:50 PM
It wasn't on Date Palm, but on a street in the center section of town. Now I want to look up Date Palm, and go see if that one is there.

Todd969
03-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Excuse me Mr. Jones, don't you have enough toys? :D ;)

mobldj
03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
just buy it,keep the boat only i had the car then got the boat

beaverretriever
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Phebus. I will keep my eyes open for ya. I'm a big 32 fan and occasionally run across stuff for sale. If I see somthing, I will let you know.
good luck.

haulina29
03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Did i read your post correctly that a 5 window is more desierable than a 3 window? Maybe you like a 5 better but a 3 window 32 or 36 is the shit and always have been 5 windows are a dime a dozen . A 3 window original body only will net 10k plus over a same conditon 5 window any day .32 sedan deliverys B400s 3 windows and roadsters are gold 2 door sedans and five windows are a dime a dozen.

Kachina26
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
wow and I heard Rick gives good discountsI thought he gave good head :confused:

2forcefull
03-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Did i read your post correctly that a 5 window is more desierable than a 3 window? Maybe you like a 5 better but a 3 window 32 or 36 is the shit and always have been 5 windows are a dime a dozen . A 3 window original body only will net 10k plus over a same conditon 5 window any day .32 sedan deliverys B400s 3 windows and roadsters are gold 2 door sedans and five windows are a dime a dozen.
I don't know about a dime a dozen???? but you are very correct on your collectables, I heard a few months backabout a 3 window cab only going for
over 50k

Da Twins
03-09-2007, 06:14 AM
Can't go wrong with a Deuce, I've this one just now going together.
But...it won't float.....Big Deuce run in Victoria BC in july over 500 32's already registered at least 60 from LA & the Bay makin the trip. know of a couple even coming from LHC tuff decision Good Luck
Great looking coupe, I have a 32 that I am installing twin Whipple's ( small block ) have never seen one before
good luck with your build

Keith E. Sayre
03-09-2007, 09:27 AM
You're crazy Rick. As much as you like to go to the lake,
you'll hate a pontoon boat. Yes, I know that others have
done it but they weren't adrenaline junkies like you are.
Sounds like a great car but not at the expense of killing
your summer fun. You don't have enough grey hair for a
pontoon boat and you have lots of grey! I still don't see
what in the world your wife sees in you!
Keith Sayre

phebus
03-09-2007, 10:14 AM
After sleeping on it, I'm keeeping the boat. I'd rather have sand under my fingernails than grease. Plus, I like the ***boat group better then the wrench head group. I was out wiping down the boat last night around midnight, and just couldn't see getting rid of it unless I was upgrading it.
The car will have to wait until later. Screw it, I'm going boating right now. :D

HavasuHome
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I like your thinking Rick. :)

YeLLowBoaT
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
i've never been a fan of the 32 3 window... just too many of them out there.
Now the mid 30s ford trucks... I just love... I have a friend that is a big time hot rodder that has a 33 truck restored back to stock... I would love to have it. In fact I would rather have it then a brand new one off the lot. Something about having a car/ truck where if it did not help it function, it did not have it.

Big Kahunaa
03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
the 32 does look nice are you going to just drive the car around town are go do the car show thing and are dead set on a 32

phebus
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
the 32 does look nice are you going to just drive the car around town are go do the car show thing and are dead set on a 32
Just cruise around town, wrench and clean. I'm not a car show guy, I don't know how to politic and kiss ass. Not set on a '32, but is a car I have always admired and wanted.

Big Kahunaa
03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
if your not set on a 32 the late fiftys early sixtys cars are geat they are cheap most of them look cool and have room to take your friends to the bar
but dearborn deuce does make a steel 32 body with a hide away top and roll up windows they are nice it's roadster and a coupe all in one

Big Kahunaa
03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.hotrodsandhorsepower.com/convertible.html

phebus
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Wow, that's beautifull, but would be out of my budget.

Cole Trickle
03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Smart choice;)
I have owned ome cool cars that would do well in car shows but I hate polishing all day for the sake of sitting all day at a show.
I like them to be clean but I would rather drive it hard then break out the toothbrush.
First thing to go down in a market like this is toys...Cars,boats,etc
Every time I go to Pomona there is a sad soul selling a car he has 80K into for 30K (hot rods are typically terrible investments):)

beaverretriever
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
LOL, 5 windows are not quite a dime a dozen with only about 51,000 built. With the introduction of the repro steel body 3 window; prices on the 3 windows will drop slightly as seen with other 32's. Original build #s on a 5 window were about double the 3, but prices sit about the same as noted in current auctions.
You are correct though, I would have to say that the 3 window is more popular than the 5 window but I have seen the trend changing... :)

Flyinbowtie
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Phebus,
If you can, get some seat time in a '32 before you step. I know you have a bad back like I do, and the '32 seating position can be problematic for guys like us. The generic builds out there don't spend a lot of time engineering the seating to help, they just drop a pair of import buckets in and call it good.
The Glide Bench is the most comfortable of all.
The '33 and '34's are an improvement, but not much. The 3-1/2 chop is tough if you are 6-2 or taller. A 3-inch chop in those cars and a Glide Seat can work. The 3 and 5 window coupes have about the same amount of room in them, it is a push.
IMHO, the quality of the repop steel bodies floating around out there is inconsistent as hell. They have only one advantage to the high-end glass cars.
They're steel.
The body lines are not as crisp, and you can spend a ton of money blocking them out to clean them up. The are not all cherry out of the box. The best glass ones, like Gibbon and Wescott, are very, very straight; some of them you can buff the gelcoat and drive it raw if you want, but that is just my opinion based on the cars I've been involved in.
I prefer Henry's steel, but it is pricey. Clean, unpatched/filled/butchered Henry's steel is even more pricey.
The best deals I have seen on the west coast are always at the first meets of the season and the last. The auctions are out of control. If you were up here I'd tell ya to look on the streets at Hot August Nights, Pleasanton, The Nats at Cal Expo, etc.
I have a '40 Ford Tudor Deluxe that is done, a 56 F-100 Big Window I'm getting started on, and just finished helping a buddy build a '33 chopped 3-window highboy coupe that trophied at Autorama.
I want that car.:D
Live your dreams, fella. If you have to get something a little less pricey to get on the street, do it. If you find ya can't live without the Coupe, go for it.
One thing is fairly certain, a clean rod doesn't depreciate anything like a boat, if you go for the car now chances are you'll get your money and maybe more in a couple of years.

haulina29
03-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Repop bodys wont affect the price of gennie tin one bit fake is fake a brookville is nothing more than a copy like a rolex copy.5 windows are popular because they are out there, right now I know of at least three and havent seen a gennie good 3 window body for years to be had.The doors are to small on a 5. The term 5 window didnt come into play until 32 yet you have people calling their model As 5 windows.They were called coupes and the so called sport coupe had 3 windows .That changed in 32 .they had a 5 window ,3 window with big suicide and a sport coupe with conventional doors.I forgot to mention the vicky in preyious post.

haulina29
03-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Flynbowtie I agree with your post on bodies you are right on the money.Brookville is a good body but a wescott is almost a exact duplicate of Henry steel .It cost big money to straighten up a Brookvile or a gennie.

Flyinbowtie
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
haulina29;
I agree, the glass v. steel repop bodies are different members of the same family, but if the market wasn't demanding the steel units then Brookville, Dearborn, and RodBods wouldn't be stamping as many of the things as they are, and getting more $ than the glass counterparts.
With the 1st and 2nd generation rodders now welcoming the 3rd, the loyalty to Henry's steel is gonna wane, I think, because the youngsters have no history with the original car. Glass car asking prices are climbing in the mags and ads I read every day. The originals will dictate the value of the glass car. Last week I saw a nothing special all steel full fendered 32 3 window, and the guy wanted 95k for it.
It is nuts. Somebody told me that there are now more '32 Fords registered in the U.S. than Henry built.
While us graybeards might appreciate the value of that 95k car, the youngsters trying to get a foot in the door can't even dream about that number, and are going to walk right by that car. (So did I) I guess if you are buying a driver, something to get you into the game, you see things one way, and if you are buying a dream, you see things another.
I'm with you on the clean original Henry Steel cars, I haven't seen a clean 3-window body that some moron hasn't hashed in years. I know some guys trolling Hemmings these days, truly considering what once would have been the unthinkable:D I may be one of them in the next few years.
Haulin I type slow and didn't see your second post. I am one of those graybeards...

2forcefull
03-09-2007, 06:40 PM
fat fender cars are the best,38,39,40

roostwear
03-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Have both.... problem solved. Worked for me......:D

CAHotRodBoy
03-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I've got a '34 three window coupe (steel car) with no a/c and a 29 Baja Outlaw. I live in Vegas. Guess which one I use more!:eek: :D :D

Wheeler
03-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I went to that site, and couldn't find anything in the 2's, unless it was complete junk. The car I'm looking at, is in the lower 3's.
You are aware of the used boat market, Hot Rods will come down in price, and predicted to Drop! If you have money to spend, Don't! put in a toy car today.
Wait and Watch......

haulina29
03-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Bowtie once again i agree with your post .FYI a Brookville and a Wescott are almost the same price i wouldnt even consider building a glass car today I about craped when I saw Dee had a $10.500 price on a plastic Wescott Deuce,but the 5 window that started this thread is a sweet and worth every penny.I own a Ford hi boy 32 roadster a original unmolested 32 Tudor model B with 15k original miles i bought from a muesum also a Brookville 29 roadster pickup on 32 rails under const.I look for Henry Tin every where I go lol I pick up any thin or fat fendered car as long as it a flat window and a cool body no 4 doors or hump backs or off years etc.Last year I picked up a original 36 five window with a columbia QC if it was a 3 window it would be in my shop today still.Because of the prices of gennie tin you see alot of people driving what we used to call odd rods rember the dare to be different movement ?I cant help it im not gonna change pre 49 ,no odd rods lol.I am a memeber of the LA Roadsters several of our older members have original 32 Ford roadsters for sale these guys have had them since the ends of the second world war .in the next few years you are going to see alot of these types up for sale all are 80 k plus :) I will never sell my 32 s they are as good as gold burried under the house lol lol

TCHB
03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Rick you will love a toon that will run at 50MPH and the car.
If you do not like the car they will sell pretty close or even more than paid.

haulina29
03-11-2007, 03:45 AM
phebus did ya get it?

Da Twins
03-11-2007, 06:37 AM
http://www.hotrodsandhorsepower.com/convertible.html
this 32 looks just like mine but mine has fenders
(don't know how to put in pix)
Now have 29' Force , 32 ford & 15 "t" bucket

phebus
03-11-2007, 06:56 AM
phebus did ya get it?
No, decided to keep the boat. Keith Sayre talked to me, and brought up a good point. He asked why I moved to Havasu. He said the lake, right? He asked why I would think about getting rid of the boat for a car. His point was that you could live anywhere and have a nice car, but if you moved to an area for the water, you want a nice boat.
So, until I can afford a nice boat and a nice car (non daily driver), the boats staying, and I still have my nice daily drivers.